Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Xaris posted:

sorry but... head in the guillotine

Nice ableist genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Raise the drinking, smoking and gambling age to 30 and make soldiers exempt from it. That solves the recruitment problem.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

joe biden should lower the price of glycine

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The actual Google Maps ads are on the voice navigation when it tells you to "turn left after the 7/11" instead of the actual street name btw

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

super sweet best pal posted:

Raise the drinking, smoking and gambling age to 30 and make soldiers exempt from it. That solves the recruitment problem.

:wtc: don’t speak ideas like this into existence, guarantee we’ll see a form of this (it’s already true in all but law for lower-enlisted soldiers anyway, even if you’re pretty insufferable older soldiers are still sympathetic to the desire to be arrested for getting into an argument with the PX building while blackout at noon on Sunday)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

mawarannahr posted:

this is what Turks do to pasta

there are a lot of recipes online for pasta with ketchup and mayonnaise!

Turkey should be destroyed for this

Mega-City One getting its first baby Block I see.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

New learn to code just dropped

https://fortune.com/2024/04/04/gen-z-choosing-trade-schools-college-welders-carpenters-six-figure-job/

quote:

Gen Z are increasingly choosing trade schools over college to become welders and carpenters because ‘it’s a straight path to a six-figure job’

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
It's a straight path to destroying your body by middle age. Hello, oxy scrip.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ferdinand Bardamu posted:

It's a straight path to destroying your body by middle age. Hello, oxy scrip.

win win

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gen Z are choosing chud jobs....... sad to see

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

that’s just good thinking for the mad max future that awaits them

you can’t code a death cart together, that’s just silly

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

DaysBefore posted:

Gen Z are choosing chud jobs....... sad to see

it's Generation Chud. can you really be surprised?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

Gen Z are choosing union jobs....... Hell yeah

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

aw frig aw dang it posted:

it's Generation Chud. can you really be surprised?
trad genz electrician punts millennial frontend engineer who still identifies as a feminist metrosexual back into into the 20th century with Eastern Catholic (Byzantine rite) liturgical magic [based]

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

these are actually useful skills

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Smythe posted:

they also called fries an “everyday luxury” which to me, well, kind of abusing the concept of luxury here. what’s not luxury? eating dirt and wearing a barrel with suspenders?

c r i c k e t s i n b i o

Apr 7, 2003

RealityWarCriminal posted:

these are actually useful skills

They’re not six figure jobs though, it’s just more bait and switch poo poo

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

trad genz electrician punts millennial frontend engineer who still identifies as a feminist metrosexual back into into the 20th century with Eastern Catholic (Byzantine rite) liturgical magic [based]

lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

union it is lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
very few jobs should be six figgy

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
new government subsidized housing just dropped

Apr 7, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

union it is lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

welder can be if you're willing to work out of town and/or have special certs. millwright, boilermaker and electrician can be too. carpenter though? you'll never make 6 figgies framing houses

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

that's all the basic, semi-skilled labor. any ol jackass who can show up sober can do that

real money's getting good at the niche/critical need stuff

Griz
May 21, 2001

RealityWarCriminal posted:

welder can be if you're willing to work out of town and/or have special certs.

then you die at 50 from a lifetime of metal fume poisoning

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Griz posted:

then you die at 50 from a lifetime of metal fume poisoning

Much better to die at 51 from a lifetime of sitting in a chair typing and ordering Doordash lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if you work skilled labor in industry and you do lots of overtime you can get paid a little more than your salaried direct supervisor

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

scuba welders on oil rigs make like 300k+ a year, welding pipeline in the Midwest like 200k only working 6 months a year

if someone can weld consistently and can read a blueprint they can make good money, a lot of welders are functionally illiterate and there's a lot of demand for welders who can understand what they're doing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DaysBefore posted:

Much better to die at 51 from a lifetime of sitting in a chair typing and ordering Doordash lol

it's simple math, my man

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The A.I. news feeds of the future are going to be delightful!

https://twitter.com/BrettRedacted/status/1776323701148930404?t=RC5pd2AlnSQBtNn0efh2mw&s=19

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

it's right

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DaysBefore posted:

actually sitting a chair ordering doordash rules

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

who die at 52 because of untreated type 2 diabetes (treatment deemed too expensive by insurance)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/wrtv/status/1776272754901209163?t=39AQn2-vMLzASkT18Emxxw&s=19

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The reason trades are currently high-paid is because an entire generation was told they would be failures unless they got a university degree, leading to massive employment shortages in the trades.

If the next generation is promised that Trades Are The Way then what's going to happen is the industry gets flooded in a few years and wages tank (and minorities will get the shaft).

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The Hill: ‘Are you better off today than four years ago?’ is the wrong question.

hahaha don't ask that question you dummies. It's the WRONG question.

Apr 7, 2003

HazCat posted:

The reason trades are currently high-paid is because an entire generation was told they would be failures unless they got a university degree, leading to massive employment shortages in the trades.

If the next generation is promised that Trades Are The Way then what's going to happen is the industry gets flooded in a few years and wages tank (and minorities will get the shaft).

Also they aren’t highly paid unless you’re something insanely specialized (like the aforementioned rig underwater welder) or you’re the guy in charge of a trades company, in which case you’re the boss and not a plumber or hvac guy or whatever.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Hvac-Technician-Salary--in-Pennsylvania

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
prevailing wage (public works) jobs are very good but also means drug testing and no computertouching microdosing degeneracy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

the only thing i remember from Pulitzer winning novel "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" was a scene where one of the characters is idly going thru the cigarette butts in an ash tray to put together one cigarette worth smoking. I remember thinking, drat id probably do that if it was WW2 too

i tried reading that book and got 1/5th the way through and got the uncomfortable feeling that pulitzer prize winning books aren’t actually supposed to be enjoyed or interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

The author of that book, Michael Chabon, wrote The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.