Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Also lol "we have many people" your population immediately dropped by like 30% when Russia got involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I would absolutely not want to join an elite Ukrainian brigade because that sounds like a super good way to die in a minefield or in the defense of a gutted tractor factory

oh? well let's see you come up with a better way to die if you're so smart

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

I would absolutely not want to join an elite Ukrainian brigade because that sounds like a super good way to die in a minefield or in the defense of a gutted tractor factory

A good way to sent in when a situation is at least critical if not worse.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

speng31b posted:

I can do that comfortably at home with videogames and burgers

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

nah these guys won’t see the inside of a trench ever, they’ll be given the best equipment and safest jobs in the hope that they will get some nato sponsorship after the wars over

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jel Shaker posted:

nah these guys won’t see the inside of a trench ever, they’ll be given the best equipment and safest jobs in the hope that they will get some nato sponsorship after the wars over

I'm just saying nobody's getting captured and sent on a Turkish holiday now

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Otoh it's the job where you're most likely to be ordered to shoot the president of Ukraine so

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Haven't most of these "elite" Ukrainian units been acting as blocking detachments untill recently when they're desperate. For mostnof the war to date it was probably an easy posting

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

KomradeX posted:

Haven't most of these "elite" Ukrainian units been acting as blocking detachments untill recently when they're desperate. For mostnof the war to date it was probably an easy posting

yep, the 3rd got sent to avdiivka to hold the line when it was falling and immediately said "yeah gently caress this" and turned around, abandoning a bunch of wounded ukrainian troops they were supposed to help evacuate

definitely a good sign when your political brigade is ignoring orders and doing whatever they want

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Has the 3rd ever done anything notable other than lose/fail in this war?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

CongoJack posted:

Has the 3rd ever done anything notable other than lose/fail in this war?

no. Every battle they've been involved in as either the Azov brigade or the 3rd seperate assault battalion has been a catastrophic failure for Ukraine.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Starsfan posted:

no. Every battle they've been involved in as either the Azov brigade or the 3rd seperate assault battalion has been a catastrophic failure for Ukraine.

But I bet you theyre one of the few Ukrainian units that has plenty of ammo and functional equipment

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Officer Sandvich posted:

https://cepa.org/article/the-elite-ukrainian-brigade-everyone-wants-to-join/

The Elite Ukrainian Brigade Everyone Wants to Join

Ukraine’s 3rd Separate Assault Brigade is a recruitment success story, with more than 900 volunteers a month seeking to join. Can this be replicated across the armed forces?

It's so cool that we're all just supposed to accept that these guys are on the up and up now. They weren't ever Nazis, but if they were it was in the past, and also that's Russian disinformation. All the big news orgs just five years ago were running stories pointing out that NATO guns and trainers were being photographed with big ol Nazi flags alongside a regiment that did pogroms but now, oh, forget that. Give the apolitical unit unlimited money and build up their reputation as super heroes and don't ever ever ever consider the consequences for post-war Ukraine of having a large, extremely well armed, internationally supported unit of apolitical sonnenrand enjoyers

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

It's so cool that we're all just supposed to accept that these guys are on the up and up now. They weren't ever Nazis, but if they were it was in the past, and also that's Russian disinformation. All the big news orgs just five years ago were running stories pointing out that NATO guns and trainers were being photographed with big ol Nazi flags alongside a regiment that did pogroms but now, oh, forget that. Give the apolitical unit unlimited money and build up their reputation as super heroes and don't ever ever ever consider the consequences for post-war Ukraine of having a large, extremely well armed, internationally supported unit of apolitical sonnenrand enjoyers

These guys are being armed because of people thinking about post-war Ukraine. This is Operation Aerodynamic all over again.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

i say swears online posted:

lolling at the title

concerning

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Some political and economic news.

A close ally of populist prime minister tops a pro-Western diplomat to become Slovakia’s president

The position is largely ceremonial, but can veto laws.

Two more Russian allies stop accepting payment card

Banks in Armenia, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan have stopped processing Russian Mir cards. The United States recently expanded and tightened secondary sanctions on banks that accept them.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

OhFunny posted:

A close ally of populist prime minister tops a pro-Western diplomat to become Slovakia’s president

Banks in Armenia, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan have stopped processing Russian Mir cards. The United States recently expanded and tightened secondary sanctions on banks that accept them.

Armenia might have uniquely bad leadership if they think that they'll be rewarded by Uncle Sam having their back when Azerbaijan comes for another bite at the apple.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

speng31b posted:

In bed at 97. Shot by a jealous husband.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
My husband is jealous because i sleep in all the time while he has a war to run

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New Juan Guaido just dropped

https://twitter.com/verasarkozi/status/1776586835940041211?t=M2-M76uSsxmuGm23TkKaNw&s=19

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Péter Magyar? Really now? Isn't that like being named John American?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Looks like a billion people there by the prestigious hong kong school of statistical counting

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

DaysBefore posted:

Are they still giving a totally-not-Dirlewanger challenge coin to their vets or was that just a 2023 thing, i.e. the ancient past?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

Operation Gladio worked out just fine !

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
For all the "young Russians have fled the country in fear of being mobilised" and therefore Russia is doomed I remember the news when the invasion began that young Finnish dudes were suddenly lining up to get their passports for no particular reason and the process was backed up for a while. And sure, maybe the people who are capable of leaving, have resources, can pick up their lives and start a new one will.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Arguably it could be reclassified as a repair trainer vessel given that it has been in refit for over five years straight.

But it might be fixed by late 2024 or 2025.

thinking about when they sent to to the Syrian coast where it launched a few jets directly into the Mediterranean before they reversed course a couple months later

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

"Be not afraid" predates JP2. it was in the Bible!

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

speng31b posted:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

OhFunny posted:

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Armenia might have uniquely bad leadership if they think that they'll be rewarded by Uncle Sam having their back when Azerbaijan comes for another bite at the apple.

the RBIO is doing some poo poo with (to) them

Joint U.S.-EU-Armenia High Level Meeting in Support of Armenia’s Resilience - United States Department of State

www.state.gov posted:

President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, EU High Representative/Vice-President, Josep Borrell, Secretary of State of the United States of America, Antony Blinken, USAID Administrator Samantha Power, and Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia, Nikol Pashinyan, met today, April 5, 2024, in Brussels to reaffirm support for Armenia’s sovereignty, democracy, territorial integrity, and socio-economic resilience.

Secretary Antony J. Blinken With European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, and High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borrell Before Their Meeting - United States Department of State

www.state.gov - Fri, 05 Apr 2024 posted:

Remarks

European Commission Headquarters

Brussels, Belgium

April 5, 2024

MS VON DER LEYEN:  Prime Minister Pashinyan, dear Secretary Blinken, I’m very glad to host this meeting together with the HRVP Josep Borrell here in Berlaymont.  I’m glad to host a meeting in support of Armenia.  We’re delivering on a promise we made last October, the promise to stand shoulder to shoulder by Armenia, with Armenia – and at the same time the promise to set a vision for the future of our partnership.  And this is what we are going to be discussing today.

This vision will be underpinned on the European Union side by a resilience and growth plan for Armenia – 270 million euros in grants over the next four years.  We will invest in making the Armenian economy and society more robust and resistant to shocks.  We will support your businesses, your talents, in particular your small and medium enterprises, so that we can help them to grow, to innovate, and to access new markets.

And we will invest in key infrastructure projects – for example, in the Black Sea electricity cable that is a transmission route full of opportunities.  It can notably bring clean renewable energy into Europe.  We’re ready to support it.  And in parallel, we will continue investing in Armenia’s renewable energy production and in better interconnections with Georgia.  We will also be exploring cross-border transport if and when conditions allow.  And in this context, I welcome your Crossroads of Peace initiative, Prime Minister.

And finally, we come today with new measures for aviation and nuclear safety and for trade diversification.  This support package we’re presenting today builds on the success of an existing economic and investment plan from the European Union for Armenia.  It has already mobilized over half a billion euros in investments.  I think this is great news, and now we can do even more with the fresh investment perspective, and that is why we have recently launched an investment coordination platform so that we can jointly identify new projects, accelerate the pace, and maximize the potential of our investments on the ground.

Of course, the European Union will continue to support reforms in Armenia through advice, technical support, and funding.  And in this context, Prime Minister, I want to congratulate you for your efforts to carry out democratic reforms, and this despite the challenges faced.  I also welcome the measures that Armenia has taken against the circumvention of our sanctions against Russia, in particular to make sure that lethal equipment and technologies do not end up in the hands of Russian military.  This shows that the European Union and Armenia are increasingly aligned in values and interests.

Now, we’re going to look today at the broader partnership, and let’s take it forward with a new and ambitious partnership agenda between the European Union and Armenia.  This is what we will be discussing in more detail in a moment.

To conclude, we’re not forgetting, Prime Minister, about the plight of the displaced Karabakh Armenians.  The humanitarian situation of refugees in Armenia remains a priority.  We have provided over 30 million euros in support of the refugees since last September, and we’re ready to do more to support the long-term integration of refugees.

I want to say how happy I am to receive both of you here in the Berlaymont, because Europe and Armenia share a long and common history.  The time has come to write now a new chapter, and I’m very glad, Secretary Blinken, to count on the United States as a committed and likeminded partner in these efforts.  We will continue to work all together for the future of Armenia in a stable and prosperous South Caucasus region.

PRIME MINISTER PASHINYAN:  Thank you very much, dear President von der Leyen, dear Secretary Blinken, High Representative Borrell, dear friends.  Thank you for convening this high-level meeting to reaffirm our collective commitment to sovereign, resilient, and prosperous Armenia.  This event underscores Armenia’s commitment to our shared values and a pursuit of more accountable and citizen-centered public institutions that deliver to its people.

Today’s high-level dialogue signifies Armenia’s expanded partnership with the United States and the European Union.  Despite facing multiple crisises, Armenia has made significant progress toward issuing democracy.  Expanding on the achieved progress, we will discuss Armenians’ efforts to strengthen the resilience of its democratic institutions.  We firmly believe that the respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms underpin our cooperation.  The Republic of Armenia reaffirms its commitment to advances – advancing justice and public sector reforms to build a stronger, more secure, and advanced country.

Building on our fruitful political cooperation, it is high time we foster our economic collaboration, promote trade, and look into expanding our partnership in mobility.  We are determined to enhance the competitiveness of the Armenian private sector to expand to new markets.  Further, we stand ready to improve our investment climate and make it more appealing to European and American companies.

We expect our partners to assist us in modernizing Armenian’s quality infrastructure, bridge business networks, and explore potential trade facilitation schemes.  Promoting socio-economic inclusion and addressing the short- and long-term needs of more than 100,000 forcibly displaced Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh is also of paramount importance.  Our collective efforts should focus on empowering refugees to rebuild their lives with dignity through housing and economic activation policies.

I want to stress that we remain committed to the normalization of relations with Azerbaijan based on mutual recognition of each other’s sovereignty and territorial integrity in accordance with the Alma-Ata Declaration of 1991.  Armenia is also fully committed to the delimitation of borders based on the Alma-Ata Declaration and unblocking all the regional communications based on full respect for countries’ sovereignty and jurisdiction, and the principles of equality and reciprocity.  To achieve this objective, we have introduced the Crossroads of Peace initiative, which aims to promote connectivity and dialogue with neighboring countries and beyond.  To enhance synergies in the wider region, we seek to integrate our initiative with the EU’s Global Gateway strategy and expect the support of our partners in this regard.

Madam President, Secretary Blinken, High Representative Borrell, I believe that our shared vision of democratic, peaceful, and prosperous future will continue to serve as the backbone and the guiding star of our mutually trusted relations.  Once again, thank you for fostering this dialogue and for your continued support to the Republic of Armenia.

MS VON DER LEYEN:  Thank you very much.

SECRETARY BLINKEN:  Well, Madam President, thank you.  It’s wonderful, as always, to be with you, and thank you for bringing us together.  Prime Minister, it’s so good to see you, and my friend Josep as well; very good to have you here.

Prime Minister, I want to start by thanking you for your leadership and also your partnership.  It means a lot, and I think it sets a very strong foundation for what we can do together going into the future.  We are here to reaffirm transatlantic support for a democratic, prosperous future for the Armenian people – and a more integrated and a more peaceful South Caucasus region.  We share the Armenian peoples’ vision for the future.  We want Armenia to take its place as a strong, independent nation at peace with its neighbors, connected to the region and the world.  The United States and the European Union both want to be partners in this effort, and I think today is evidence of that.

We have to harness this moment of choice for the Armenian people and for its leaders.  The United States is investing in efforts that are aligned with the prime minister’s governance and economic reforms.  We plan to provide over $65 million in assistance from our FY23 budget funds.  That’s up more than 50 percent from two years ago.  We’re committed to further growing our support for Armenia’s democratic and economic resilience, with investments for food security, digital infrastructure, diversification of energy, diversification of trade partners, and other priorities that the prime minister has set.

And we will continue to support the 100,000 ethnic Armenians displaced from Nagorno-Karabakh.  This is central to Armenia’s long-term stability and prosperity, as well as its regional security.  And we’re supporting efforts to integrate people into the economy, into society, including via access to housing, jobs, education.

For Armenia, regional integration is a key to security and to prosperity.  And so we support the ideas, Mr. Prime Minister, that are at the heart of your Crossroads of Peace proposal.  We see a more integrated South Caucasus with new transportation routes, energy cooperation, telecommunications.  This will promote diversified economies, expanded opportunity, and it will bolster peace and reconciliation efforts.  There is a powerful future with a region that is increasingly integrated, that will benefit people in every connected country.  And the United States, the European Union want to help you build that.

So we, too, look very much forward to a productive discussion today, and then carrying on from today, doing the work of strengthening this partnership and strengthening Armenia.  Thank you.

MR BORRELL:  Thank you.  Madam President, Prime Minister Pashinyan, Secretary Blinken – dear Tony – two month ago here in Brussels, we hold a partnership council with Armenia.  And it was clear that our relations are developing in a positive track, that they are stronger than ever, and that there is a mutual interest to advance them further.  And that’s what we are doing here today.  We are taking this partnership to the next level, together with our American friends, joining forces to demonstrate our strong commitment to Armenia’s sovereignty, democracy, and resilience.

We want to join our forces to strength and move our relations forward in all dimensions.  That’s what we agreed with the Foreign Minister Mirzoyan, to take our Armenia-EU partnership agenda in the highest possible level inside the framework of our partnership council.  And this is not just words.  The president of the commission has announced a substantial resilience and growth package for Armenia to underpin this partnership agenda.

We know that Armenia has to continue working on the reforms in order to increase their resilience, and these efforts will be part of this comprehensive and enhanced partnership agreement.  These will increase the resilience of the Armenian society, and we have seen on the run-up to this meeting – we have seen how Armenia is increasingly targeted by foreign information manipulations and interference.  And part of our commitment is to support you to tackle disinformation and to make people understand which is the right way of doing things, improving media literacy.  Because we believe that a stronger, a more stable Armenia means a stronger, a more stable South Caucasus.  Our work will be on the benefit of all countries in the region.

Thank you.

MS VON DER LEYEN:  Thank you very much.  May I invite you now to go to the meeting room?

SECRETARY BLINKEN:  Thank you.

MS VON DER LEYEN:  Thank you.
good luck 👍

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Well at least it's not

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Endman posted:

Well at least it's not

Those were infantry.

The artillery had a great campaign in Zululand, though with some exciting episodes crossing the Tugela.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Apr 7, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Endman posted:

Well at least it's not

Big fan of this one

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

StashAugustine posted:

Big fan of this one

Too soon

:(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The artillery had a great campaign in Zululand, though with some exciting episodes crossing the Tugela.

I like the story from The Long Left Flank where they're clearing out Boulougne and they engage the fortress guns in a gun duel and the Canadian fire is so accurate that the casemated defenders get silenced with the only casualty being a broken wrist.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like the story from The Long Left Flank where they're clearing out Boulougne and they engage the fortress guns in a gun duel and the Canadian fire is so accurate that the casemated defenders get silenced with the only casualty being a broken wrist.

That's impressive

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

So proud of this thread.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Also lol "we have many people" your population immediately dropped by like 30% when Russia got involved

European politicians have started talking about sending back the Ukrainians eligible for the draft.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Euros trying to kick refugees out ain't news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
They allowed the Ukrainian ones to have jobs right away though so will be real interesting to see which interests win out. More warm bodies for the proxy war or more cheap labour to exploit.