Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

mags posted:

as long as you don’t microwave, boil water in, leave in the sun, drink from, eat from with metal utensils, eat with as a utensil, drink through as a straw, or inhale any particulate of, plastics are fine

So I dont need to worry about my thousands of plastic morgellons protruding from my skin and slowly enveloping me into a plastic cocoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

Thats dope I bet we can get that over 500 before the end of the decade if we all burn enough poo poo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

420 blaze it

('it' is human civilization)

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

quote:

Wet weather sees farming morale at 'all time low'

Prolonged wet weather has impacted farming across the south-west of England, with farmers saying "they have never known anything like this".

Arable farmers have been unable to plant spring crops and livestock farmers said they were short of feed.

David Braine, BBC senior meteorologist, said the region had seen twice the normal amount of rain in March.

Devon dairy farmer Robert Taverner said morale within the industry was at an "all time low".

He said his cows, which are usually out to pasture "day and night", had only been going out for three or four hours a day.

As a result, Mr Taverner, from Kennford, said extra winter food was required which could add "an extra 1p" on each litre of milk he produced.

He said: "The winter's been incredibly wet this year and it's been month after month of really wet weather.

"Talking to other farmers they've never known a period like this and it's made the ground incredibly wet at capacity and it's meant that we haven't been able to graze our cows as we normally would."

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://x.com/CNBC/status/1776596471191670786

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i wouldn't worry about microplastics. at high enough temperatures it is all destroyed. earth is having a little fever to help us out.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dakar rally racing my diesel powered truck with five thousand gallons of green paint in it at a hundred miles per hour through an environmentally critical area and hitting every endangered bird I can before it's too late

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

ooh better invest in some real estate in the yukon

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mags posted:

ooh better invest in some real estate in the yukon

All of those boreal forests and permafrost ecosystems are going to become blowtorches in the next few years

mags
May 30, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

All of those boreal forests and permafrost ecosystems are going to become blowtorches in the next few years

nice our homes can save on heating

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm coming around to the notion that climate change is in fact metal as gently caress and should be celebrated

mags
May 30, 2008

Car Hater posted:

I'm coming around to the notion that climate change is in fact metal as gently caress and should be celebrated

positioning myself now so i can fall into being Immortan Joe's guitarist

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Hubbert posted:

Rime posted:

I wake up and stretch, in a bed filled with plastic fibers.

Get up, my feet touch a carpeted floor, made of plastic fibers.

Open the curtains, made of spun plastic fibers.

Put on some clothes, made of plastic fibers.

The water (filled with microplastics at the source) in my tap travels through kilometers of plastic piping and tubing. I brush my teeth with plastic fibers on a plastic handle.

Make some coffee / tea in a plastic kettle, mix in some honey from a plastic container.

Pour my breakfast oats out of a plastic bag.

Throw my lunch in a plastic container, into my backpack made of plastic, head out the door. Keycard is plastic, I've lost a couple.

Hop into my truck, cab decked out in plastic, turn on the cabin heater full blast.

Head off to work.

Grind a few dozen lbs of short-chain polymer resin into the air and watch it blow away on the breeze, smiling at a job well done.

Get "home", cook some dinner out of plastic packaging.

Chill out on my couch made of plastic.

Repeat the first few steps in reverse, settling down into my semi-plastic bed for a peaceful 8 hours of slumber.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Another beautiful day on this glorious planet we call home, I'm sure. Glad I focus on living a clean healthy life!

#blessed.

:suicide:

funniest part re-reading this is that we now also know the breakfast oats were doing eugenics

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/geoengineering-test-quietly-launches-salt-crystals-into-atmosphere/

It is easier for capitalism to block the sun than it is to reduce gas consumption lmao

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Argentum posted:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/geoengineering-test-quietly-launches-salt-crystals-into-atmosphere/

It is easier for capitalism to block the sun than it is to reduce gas consumption lmao

this poo poo is never gonna be more than an expensive grift that will be a tiny fart compared to the crap released from other emissions, humanity will go extinct before there's enough means to cover the land in sickening darkness

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Popoto posted:

this poo poo is never gonna be more than an expensive grift that will be a tiny fart compared to the crap released from other emissions, humanity will go extinct before there's enough means to cover the land in sickening darkness

They have a great use in being used as a talking point to prevent real action, like how carbon capture plants are imo
"They just opened a new geoengineering plant in norway last year! stop doomin about how hot it is!"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Popoto posted:

wealthy people are going to turn to using their wealth on geoengineering (and make more money) in an attempt to keep their necks

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Lpzie posted:

i wouldn't worry about microplastics. at high enough temperatures it is all destroyed. earth is having a little fever to help us out.

I hear Democrats make it feel better

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Big oil is racing to scale up carbon credits

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Ignore_Me posted:

https://youtu.be/IJYK5tkgtvk?feature=shared

Does anybody have recommendations for a podcast centered around the biosphere and the sixth mass extinction? I listen to plenty of content focused on SST updates and climate change/ENSO, but I’m looking to diversify my awareness of species loss and learn more about the wildlife damage I read when I see articles about things like Amazon deforestation

Ashes Ashes

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Ain’t about biodiversity collapse, thanks for the rec though

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 03:05 on Apr 7, 2024

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Car Hater posted:

No more genocide! Only omnicide

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2024/04/06/glacier-greenland-rock-flour/

The unassuming material that could soak up carbon emissions

Researchers want to use the ultrafine rock particles left by eroding glaciers — called ‘rock flour’ — to suck climate-warming carbon from the air

Minik Rosing grew up around the fine mud flowing from Greenland’s glaciers. It wasn’t until much later, when his own daughter had grown up and was in her mid-20s, that he realized how special it is.

During a family vacation in rural Greenland, where there was no electricity, she was fishing ice out of a milky-blue fjord for a gin and tonic when that mud gripped her feet so tightly that she had to abandon one of her boots.

As temperatures rise, meltwater is flushing out millions of tons of this stuff: ultrafine powder ground down by the island’s melting glaciers. Geologists have a culinary-sounding name for the microscopic particles: “rock flour.”

The loss of his daughter’s boot got Rosing thinking. Maybe those tiny grains of rock could be used to trap something much bigger: the carbon emissions that are altering the frozen landscape and way of life on the island.

“Greenland has been seen as the example and the horror story of climate change, and never been portrayed as a part of the solution,” said Rosing, a geology professor at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark who was born in Greenland.

As global emissions continue to rocket, he is part of a growing group of scientists looking for ways to suck carbon right out of the sky, an example of a sometime contentious suite of technologies called geoengineering.

For Rosing, the massive Arctic island’s exceptional mud represents not only a way of dialing back global warming but also an opportunity to change “the rest of the world’s impression of the Arctic” from ground zero for climate change to a solution for it.

Petrifying the air
Give it enough time and most of the carbon dioxide that humanity is pumping into the air will be taken back by the planet. CO2 dissolves in rainwater and reacts with rocks to form carbon-containing compounds that lock the gas out of the atmosphere. That naturally occurring process, called “chemical weathering,” literally petrifies the air.

The problem — at least for us humans — is that chemical weathering takes millennia to work its carbon-absorbing magic. Humanity doesn’t have that kind of time: The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says society needs to drastically reduce CO2 emissions by the end of the decade. The situation has gotten so bad that the panel of scientists says we need to develop ways of pulling carbon from the air to avert catastrophe.

So what if we could speed things up? What if, Minik Rosing and other scientists wonder, we exposed more carbon-absorbing rocks to the carbon-laden air? They call that technique “enhanced weathering.”

Most enhanced-weathering proposals involve pulverizing tons of basalt or other rocks and spreading them across the land. But all that crushing would consume an enormous amount of energy that might result in more greenhouse-gas emissions.

That’s where rock flour comes in.

Glaciers flow over the bedrock like a slow-moving river. Over centuries, the tremendous weight of the ice grinds the rock underneath into a fine powder only a few ten-thousandths of a centimeter, or microns, in diameter — finer than most sand found on a beach.

During a Zoom interview, Rosing poured a bit of cream-colored rock flour from Greenland onto his index finger and held it up to the camera.

“If you see here on my finger now,” he said, “there’s absolutely no grains you can see.” Greenland’s ice sheets have already done the hard, dirty work of milling the rocks. Rubbing his fingers, he said it felt as soft as talc, an ingredient in many baby powders.

The fineness of the grains is the flour’s advantage. It gives the substance an enormous surface area to expose to the air, making it an attractive candidate for enhanced weathering. That high surface area is also what gripped the boots of Minik Rosing’s daughter, Johanne Aviaja Rosing, so thoroughly. “Every time I tried to pull one foot up,” she recalled, “the other foot just went down.”

“Other groups or companies are looking at using other types of rocks for enhanced rock weathering, but they have to crush the material,” said Christiana Dietzen, a soil scientist working with Rosing. “Even if they’re doing that, they’re kind of lucky to get to a hundred microns.”

The power of ‘rock flour’
To test how well rock flour stashes carbon, Rosing and Dietzen hauled about 200 tons of the stuff from Greenland for experiments.

The material packed a one-two punch, according to a pair of papers the researchers published last year: Not only did it suck up carbon when spread over farm fields in southern Denmark, but it also enriched the soil with nutrients and increased the yield of corn and potatoes in the first year of application.

The researchers estimate that, given enough time, spreading rock flour on all agricultural land in Denmark would suck up a quantity of carbon approximately equal to the annual emissions of that country (or of Hong Kong or Syria). Preliminary results show longer-lasting crop yields in nutrient-poor soil in Ghana.

“There’s a novelty to the idea in using pre-ground material,” said Bob Hilton, an Oxford geochemist not involved in the research. “There’s interest in the idea because glacier processes produce huge amounts of this material.”

But there is still a lot of work to do before any farmer begins dusting their fields with rock flour.

So far, the studies have only measured the crop yield and carbon-absorbing effects over short periods of time. The rock flour works best in certain soil — slightly but not too acidic. Rosing and other enhanced-weathering researchers need to measure more precisely how much CO2 their techniques are taking up, so farmers and others can eventually make money by selling carbon credits.

“It is not easy to figure out how much CO2 has been sequestered in these field operations,” said Susan Brantley, a geochemist at Pennsylvania State University.

Even though no extra energy needs to go into crushing rock flour, it may come with other environmental costs, such as the greenhouse-gas pollution from shipping it across the ocean and impacts on local ecosystems. And even though Greenland’s frigid waters slow the weathering process, rock flour would have already reacted with some CO2.

“Just because these areas look like sediment factories, if you like, doesn’t mean that the grains haven’t already reacted in some way,” Hilton said.

Last year, Rosing helped found the Rock Flour Company. It has raised $2 million and plans to seek approval from the government of Greenland, an autonomous territory of Denmark, to mine and export rock flour. The process of assessing the environmental and social impacts will take years.

“We have quite high environmental standards regarding our mining sector,” said Naaja Nathanielsen, a minster overseeing minerals in Greenland. “It’s a long process, and it’s not a one size fits all.” But she added that she expects scooping rock flour from the shore would have a lower impact than hard-rock mining for nickel and other minerals that other firms are eyeing in Greenland.

“It’s a tension I think about a lot in that I would love to accelerate the process from a personal perspective in order to have climate impact,” said Clive Eley, a Rock Flour Company board member. “But at the same time, you don’t want to accelerate to the detriment of its full potential.”

Rosing hopes rock flour not only alters the trajectory of climate change, but changes the perception of his birthplace, too. He was born in a small settlement on Nuuk Fjord in West Greenland, not far from where he extracted his magic mud.

“Greenland is already seen as the parking lot of problems,” he said. “The Arctic is seen as a victim with no agency, and it would be really nice for Greenland to be relevant to the world in a positive way.”

great investing opportunity if i dare say so

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

I finally understand why pol pot killed all the nerds first, lady out here writing a drat thesis about how it’s perfectly normal to huff rocks.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

RadiRoot posted:

Rosing and other enhanced-weathering researchers need to measure more precisely how much CO2 their techniques are taking up, so farmers and others can eventually make money by selling carbon credits.

:dafuq:

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
we better melt more glaciers so we can use their remains to melt fewer glaciers

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Reducing carbon emissions would crash the carbon credit economy. One day we're going to see a coal plant that does nothing but belch CO2 as part of a complicated carbon credit trading scheme that transfers billions from public coffers into private hands

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Speaking of carbon credits, I've just started reading The Ministry For The Future, which seems like a book the thread might appreciate

I don't know how I feel about all the possible solutions presented in the book so far, like carbon credits on the block chain???, but there are some suggestions here that involve combining suicide drones and billionaires that I am 100% on board with

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

First came the microplastics and now they want to cover the earth with microrocks?? :tinfoil:

also what does the rock flour taste like

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Kal posted:

First came the microplastics and now they want to cover the earth with microrocks?? :tinfoil:

also what does the rock flour taste like

I get the distinct impression anything that scandinavian weirdo cooks tastes like rock flour

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of carbon credits, I've just started reading The Ministry For The Future, which seems like a book the thread might appreciate

I don't know how I feel about all the possible solutions presented in the book so far, like carbon credits on the block chain???, but there are some suggestions here that involve combining suicide drones and billionaires that I am 100% on board with

Ministry of the Future has some fun bits but is ultimately far too optimistic

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The amount of times in the last few decades I've read about something good that could be done, but isn't because "it would cost too much" is depressing to think about.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

starkebn posted:

The amount of times in the last few decades I've read about something good that could be done, but isn't because "it would cost too much" is depressing to think about.

One day theres like 10 last people left on the scorching heat of a desert planet, and they huddle over a bonfire an remember the many times they could have prevented it, and then they laugh and laugh until they melt in an acid rain

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

wait so if we just like nuked the gently caress out of the canadian shield?

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1776923789822988405
Madness? this is! The New Normal!!

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Even piddling poo poo non-actions are too much for us

quote:

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) temporarily suspended its controversial rule requiring private companies to disclose carbon emissions data after it was met with a slew of lawsuits.

The rule, which was finalized in March, was immediately met with litigation by a cohort of 25 GOP attorneys general, along with energy companies Liberty Energy and Nomad Proppant Services, and business groups including the Chamber of Commerce, Texas Alliance of Energy Producers and Domestic Energy Producers Alliance.

Last month, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals granted a brief administrative stay of the rule while the various lawsuits were consolidated. The groups asked the 8th Circuit to force the SEC to block its rule. On Friday, the SEC voluntarily agreed to temporarily suspend its rule while the litigation continues on the merits.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
On 18 March, 2022, scientists at the Concordia research station on the east Antarctic plateau documented a remarkable event. They recorded the largest jump in temperature ever measured at a meteorological centre on Earth. According to their instruments, the region that day experienced a rise of 38.5C above its seasonal average: a world record.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-of-catastrophe

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Bohemian Nights posted:

welcome to the thread! we have such wonderful things to show you. blockchain is definitely going to be a major part of the climate change effort.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Nix Panicus posted:

Reducing carbon emissions would crash the carbon credit economy. One day we're going to see a coal plant that does nothing but belch CO2 as part of a complicated carbon credit trading scheme that transfers billions from public coffers into private hands

this in essence already exists in the form of bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

On 18 March, 2022, scientists at the Concordia research station on the east Antarctic plateau documented a remarkable event. They recorded the largest jump in temperature ever measured at a meteorological centre on Earth. According to their instruments, the region that day experienced a rise of 38.5C above its seasonal average: a world record.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-of-catastrophe

Someone should ask ChatGPT what all of these different metrics in all of these different locations having the same dramatic and unprecedented spikes around the start of this year means.