Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

how the hell are you supposed to figure out the true ending trigger naturally lmao

I didn't struggle with any step of it. What part are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Found a big monster turd with flies swarming all over it

Props to the grossest turd I have seen in a game

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Found a big monster turd with flies swarming all over it

Props to the grossest turd I have seen in a game

This is... the Dragon's dogma.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Throw a pawn into it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't brined the mayor of harve because I don't know if it will break future quest triggers, but I may throw him into one of those

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I really hope the Travelogue isn't randomly generated, as I suspected it might be, because I just got this:

All three lines about her being a badass

I took Fiona with me into end game and can verify that she did kick a lot of rear end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My Warrior is Rank 7 now, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I find myself kind of uncertain which skills I should be using, since I don't actually know the damage multipliers on them and they're often just variations of "hit guy hard."

I'm currently using the following:
- "Dash forward with sword and ram it through a guy" ability since it can easily take out small enemies near cliffs
- The upward slash, presumably to hit harpies (this is much easier said than done and I might replace it with the "stab upwards" ability once I get its second tier)
- The big circular strike to use against large numbers of small enemies
- The one where you repeatedly slash (mainly because I just unlocked it)

edit: Main reason I'm sticking with it at this point is for the augment that reduces max health loss, since that seems extremely important, but I'm looking forward to trying out the magic spear vocation next

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 7, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The monster infighting in this game is nuts lol

A griffin I didn't kill earlier descended on a pack of oxen. I go to attack it with some soldiers who came to patrol and, and before I can finish, harpies, saurians, and minotaurs have all joined the fight making it a huge clusterfuck. The griffin escaped, barely, but the soldiers lived.

The wilderness in DD2 seems like a shithole lol

e: Even more minotaurs are attacking the capital lmao

Also this doesn't matter but I can't wait to get Warfarer just so I can wear the plucky feathered cap I spent the whole of DD1 in again. How dare they lock that to archers.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 7, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a better way to find Drakes to harvest other than wandering around with no particular destination?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a better way to find Drakes to harvest other than wandering around with no particular destination?

I think they generally have set spawn areas? And then you just have to wait for them to respawn there. Not sure if they can appear randomly.

I think this is actually applies to most large monsters. Griffons are a bit of an exception specifically because they fly around and can seemingly aggro you within a large range because of that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i believe drakes have a set list of areas they can spawn in with a maximum limit of spawned drakes available, so every time one is killed a new one will spawn in at one of the fixed points once the respawn timers is up

there's six areas i know of where they spawn consistently: at the very north and very southern tip of the western shore of the river that separates central and western vermund; at the ruins to the northwest of melve; in the westernmost part of battahl by the waterfall; on the path towards the illusionist shrine; and at the base of the cliffs by the exit from the checkpoint town side path

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hey so heads up if you jump or do any kind of jumping attack in one of the gondolas you fall off it, i did a leaping fighter slash at a harpy, missed, and landed in an absolute clusterfuck of two golems an ogre and a griffin

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Apparently the sphinx riddle of madness will also accept hired pawns as the correct answer, as long as they've been travelling with you long enough / not been mistreated.

As for endgame stuff the red beam super monsters have really cool designs, even if I'm probably overleveled for them. And there's ferrystones everywhere so getting everybody evacuated quickly is very much not a problem lol. I think I've only found one treasure chest so far that has high level gear rather than more ferrystones / wakestones though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Thundarr posted:

Apparently the sphinx riddle of madness will also accept hired pawns as the correct answer, as long as they've been travelling with you long enough / not been mistreated.

As for endgame stuff the red beam super monsters have really cool designs, even if I'm probably overleveled for them. And there's ferrystones everywhere so getting everybody evacuated quickly is very much not a problem lol. I think I've only found one treasure chest so far that has high level gear rather than more ferrystones / wakestones though.
Postgame chat: The high level gear is on the new supermonsters scattered about :getin:

e: just found out the meat clips are real videos, making Dragon's Dogma 2 an FMV game

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 7, 2024

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Though it also seems you can only increase affection through gifts once per day, so don't go waste them on a bunch of different people without resting inbetween

This is false. You can raise the affinity of multiple people per day. You get 10 for talking to them each day (or might be every so many minutes), and then a different amount based on the gift. Also certain NPCs have different maximum affinity, so some can only 'like' you, while others can 'love' you. If you go to a shopkeeper consistently you might start seeing a discount since talking to them raises it a bit each time. It also seems to decay over time if you don't talk to them, and picking them up or unsheathing your weapon around them lowers it.

Your pawn has a different system that has a much higher cap, and is raised/lowered by other things.

In regards to dragonblight, someone made a mod to show the status on pawns and in post-game it looks like your pawn might always have it, starting at the lowest value. I've killed my pawn a couple of times and let them expire then summoned them with a rift stone, and they've always come back with it. Pawns that I've hired have also always had it, with either the lowest level or the stage where the eyes start to glow red.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Postgame chat: The high level gear is on the new supermonsters scattered about :getin:

e: just found out the meat clips are real videos, making Dragon's Dogma 2 an FMV game

Post game loot chat: I found chest/body armour on bosses, but hats in some chests

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

150 seeker tokens is a lot.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I have spent most of my time trying to explore and not advancing the main quest because I don't feel like becoming king yet.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
I’m playing slow because I’m old. Is the trick class supposed to be… that way? The description owns (battlefield chaos) and I am on board with a zDPS support. It’s just feeling Bad though. For context I have loved literally everything else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've only come across 40 lol

Don't think I'm going to ever unlock some of the later stuff unless I decide to get a mod or something later.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Leaving the trickster augment on while I revisit to mop up old areas has got me to like… 90-something tokens. I don’t even really want em I just want to make the dinging stop.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Some of them are in the most loving insane places that I genuinely have no idea how they expect people to discover.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Phlegmish posted:

You didn't catch the red eyes? All the NPCs that are dead will stay dead regardless of how much you rest, but some of them automatically seem to get replaced by different people. That's what happened for me with two of the regular vendors in Bakbattahl. You could go and check if there are still vendors at the market square.

If you've already done all the quests you wanted to, I don't think it's a huge deal. Just selectively resurrect people if you need them as a crucial vendor or a quest NPC. Or better yet, go and get the Eternal Wakestone from the sphinx as soon as possible, I think it works even if all the bodies have already been moved to the morgue. Get a forgery made before you use it, though, apparently the forgery works exactly the same, so you'll still have a spare one even after using the original.

e: here's my post from earlier recounting what happened to me (spoilers):

No I didn't see anything or notice any backtalk, so I kind of forgot about it until I slept in my house at the end of my gaming session last night and was thoroughly surprised. I'll check my quests today and maybe revive a wandering vendor or something, but I am counting on the fixed vendors and ox cart drivers to hopefully get replaced then so I can at least use the services here.

Anyone know what's going on here? How can those relatively low-level pawns get hired so often and make so much rift dough?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvP8l039iTY

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sioux posted:

No I didn't see anything or notice any backtalk, so I kind of forgot about it until I slept in my house at the end of my gaming session last night and was thoroughly surprised. I'll check my quests today and maybe revive a wandering vendor or something, but I am counting on the fixed vendors and ox cart drivers to hopefully get replaced then so I can at least use the services here.

Anyone know what's going on here? How can those relatively low-level pawns get hired so often and make so much rift dough?

Sphinx------ pawns are part of the Sphinx Quest. they are Capcom pawns

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Not even necessarily. Anyone who named their pawn with the given names or monikers works for that.

Thumbtacks posted:

how the hell are you supposed to figure out the true ending trigger naturally lmao

I admit I fought the dragon a second time before realizing that, yep, that's not the way. The first time around into the coronation makes sense, and the Pathfinder is creepily standing around and the only thing you can interact with so obviously you go talk to him. But on the dragon's back there are a couple clues. First off, you can't do anything on it except move, but the "use items menu" is the only thing highlighted in terms of what you're allowed to do. Well, what quest items do we have in our menu? Secondly the whole monologue is worth paying attention to. I knew the first time I was listening to it when the dragon was like "well, too late now" that I had missed something, I just didn't know what until admittedly the third time around lol. If you mean the postgame then that seems obvious, there are glowy things on the map, go get rid of glowy things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

They aren't all (or even most I don't think) Capcom pawns. Player pawns work as well, and a lot of players realized this is an easy way to get a lot of rift currency.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I’m playing slow because I’m old. Is the trick class supposed to be… that way? The description owns (battlefield chaos) and I am on board with a zDPS support. It’s just feeling Bad though. For context I have loved literally everything else.

biggest problem trickster has is that you basically will always use the same skills, you can do stupid poo poo with making fake floors and looney tunes ing people to death but if you just have your pawn buff up you're going to annihilate enemies before they get a chance to react anyway. also they do not have a good time with harpies, but im still trying to figure that out. a lot of trickster is having a good party setup with pawns which has made it a lot more important what skills pawns actually have, and inclinations and stuff.

i still really like it but i don't think it's THE BEST

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Dragon's Dogma 2 modders removing controversial Dragonsplague.

Some mods add a little numerical indicator on the forehead of pawns (to show how far along they are infection-wise), while others get rid of it from the game entirely (shifts infection level around and adjusts it at each rest) or let you bind a key to cure/remove the infection from hired pawns, or even adds items to let you cure it more immersively than throwing them in a river (not sure what happens if you try to gift those items).

Another thing people do is gift a piece of rotten meat with a thumbs up to indicate infection :shobon:

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 7, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 modders removing controversial Dragonsplague.

Some mods add a little numerical indicator on the forehead of pawns (to show how far along they are infection-wise), while others get rid of it from the game entirely (shifts infection level around and adjusts it at each rest) or let you bind a key to cure/remove the infection from hired pawns, or even adds items to let you cure it more immersively than throwing them in a river (not sure what happens if you try to gift those items).

It's baffling to me how big of a deal that is for some players.

I beat the game after 90 hours, all the way to the end, and at no point did I have to do ANYTHING about the dragon's ligma. Not a single time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The only time I had to handle dragon's ligma was a friend of mine going HEY MY BOY GOT THE LIGMA, CHECK HIM OUT, and I did so and confirmed it, and gave him a free ride to the seaside

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I beat the game after 90 hours, all the way to the end, and at no point did I have to do ANYTHING about the dragon's ligma. Not a single time.

a lot of people have extreme gaming anxiety over potentially irreversible outcomes, regardless of the likelihood. i've known a few people who can't stand playing lightning returns because of the mere presence of the timer, despite the fact that the game gives you significantly more time to complete everything than you actually need

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack Trades posted:

Someone I know threw a huge hissy fit over how the game "killed everyone without any warning at all" and got really mad when I said there were many symptoms and they were mostly easy to spot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Someone I know threw a huge hissy fit over how the game "killed everyone without any warning at all" and got really mad when I said there were many symptoms and they were mostly easy to spot.

How can you possibly miss all of the warnings unless you're deaf and blind?
The game has your pawns talk about it every hour or two, on repeat, and then I've had the dragonblight tutorial pop-up TWICE.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vermain posted:

a lot of people have extreme gaming anxiety over potentially irreversible outcomes, regardless of the likelihood. i've known a few people who can't stand playing lightning returns because of the mere presence of the timer, despite the fact that the game gives you significantly more time to complete everything than you actually need
They realize they're playing Dragons Dogma right, the series where almost every quest has potentially irreversible negative outcomes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

really, the core problem is that a big event that significantly alters the game state and requires you to do a lot of adventuring legwork to fix is exactly the kind of thing DD1 fans are lining up for, but the first game's reputation as a cool experience brought in a lot of naive new players who thought they were getting a quirkier elden ring

if people wanna mod it out then that's their prerogative, but it really feels like people missing the forest for the trees and not being willing to step outside their comfort zone when confronted with something unfamiliar

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vermain posted:

a lot of people have extreme gaming anxiety over potentially irreversible outcomes, regardless of the likelihood.

my mother is that way with the game. reads endless guides and watches videos constantly because she does not want to be surprised by possible negative consequences.

I've gone into this game just vibing with it. whatever happens happens.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
To play devils advocate, if you're not terminally online, it's probably likely you're not even aware the plague has any adverse effects until it happens.

Then again, the only thing I've done to "prevent" it was to immediately dismiss a pawn I hired when the tutorial popped up, and I've never had it trigger

Edot: Also, I wish it had more of a part in the story/world, right now it feels very "random" thematically

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 7, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vermain posted:

It's funny, the timer in games like Dead Rising does give me insane anxiety, but games with quests you can gently caress up doesn't. :shepface: similarly I worry about my inventory in this game infinitely less than I did in the first one because there's no way to see how close to rotting an item is, as far as I can tell. So it's just out of mind.

Also my purely anecdotal experience on my pawn being hired tells me that everyone loving loves archers. No one wants sorcerers, but by god do people want an archer.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I saw one of my hired pawns had it and that sucked because they were a higher level and helping me out a lot. Now I can't find a good replacement.