Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The First Omen was very very good. Great time for horror movies set in the Catholic Church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Jedit posted:

Hey Kvlt, look what's coming in Q4 of this year!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/411391/house-of-1000-corpses

I've got their Halloween boardgame and it's pretty good.

whoa I just happened to go to a tabletop convention and hear the guy who designed their Halloween game speak today lol

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

dorium posted:

The First Omen was very very good. Great time for horror movies set in the Catholic Church.

Enjoyed it but I actually think I slightly preferred Immaculate, which seems to be a minority opinion. Without getting into spoilers about TFO, I’m also annoyed that it’s being sold as a prequel, even though the plot ends up going places that are all but impossible to reconcile with the continuity of the original; I think the only way it works is to ignore the overt references to the 1976 film and just treat it as a reboot.

Edited:

I put this in spoilers because its kind of spoilery for the film.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 7, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That is def a spoiler pls put it in spoiler text

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Barry Convex posted:

Enjoyed it but I actually think I slightly preferred Immaculate, which seems to be a minority opinion. Without getting into spoilers about TFO, I’m also annoyed that it’s being sold as a prequel, even though the plot ends up going places that are all but impossible to reconcile with the continuity of the original; I think the only way it works is to ignore the overt references to the 1976 film and just treat it as a reboot.

Tbh I don’t care for the original. I thought it was very slow and plodding BUT this one actually rectified a bunch of problems I had with it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The magician kid that gets mogged by pedo Martin Sheen?

The very same

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
did anyone else get a trailer for tarot jumanji

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That sounds dope

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its about drat time that Horror movies got horny again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

That sounds dope

I want it to be dope but I got really strong Talk To Me knockoff vibes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nikumatic posted:

lol yeah that was not great. It also reminded me of the first Oueji movie so maybe some people will like it

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
yeah i leaned over to ask my partner if they wanted to see tar-alk-t to me but then they said tarot jumanji which was much funnier and more accurate

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

Agreed with the whole post. It’s why I really love the bay. It has a lot of elements to pull from and it all makes sense. You have cam footage, phone footage, cctv, cop car cameras and faux doc footage all edited together

Love it. And it all looks how it should.

The Bay should have been right up my alley but I thought it was one of the worst acted FF movies ever. I'm talking Discovery Channel, fake megalodon documentary level. I don't think I made it 20 minutes before I gave up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t see that at all. It was fine. But bad acting in a horror movie has rarely ever ruined them for me so

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

horror is the best place for horny bc all the people who get uncomfortable because of a boob

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The Bay should have been right up my alley but I thought it was one of the worst acted FF movies ever. I'm talking Discovery Channel, fake megalodon documentary level. I don't think I made it 20 minutes before I gave up.

Everyone else is fine, it's the human mannequin playing the reporter in the wraparound that's the issue. Just a baffling casting choice

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nikumatic posted:

Tarot. It used to be called Horrorscope and I will die angry about the change.

re: horny horror, here's some goofus from Letterboxd who made me laugh with a review of The First Omen

quote:

I felt some scenes with nudity were overly graphic in ways that weren’t necessarily adding to the story. I’m not against nudity in a film if it adds to the story, but felt specific closeups were not necessary.
No spoilers, but everyone who has seen this will have a good laugh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those people are so silly

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

when were horror movies more horny besides like 70s exploitation and giallo i feel like theres more nudity in film as time goes on

yall seen Stranger by the Lake id never seen so many dicks out since harambe died (great thriller btw check it out if you havent seen it)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I feel like horror is strangely unhorny compared to all other media for some reason. You get the classic people having sex and getting stabbed by Jason but other than that it's like Sleepaway Camp 2, Return of the Living Dead, and Giallos/70s horrors. I guess X counts but that felt more like a plot device than anything. There's nudity in a ton of sleazy horror films but it's not sheer horniness.

It just feels like it doesn't fit. Like Rocky Horror Picture Show is undoubtedly horny, but even then it feels uncomfortable. I took a bunch of foreign exchange students to a showing at our college but we all ended up leaving because the production was overly horny and everyone was just dry humping each other in lingerie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I went to a Rocky Horror show picture once and they picked people from the audience onstage to come up (3 of us), then told us to strip down to our underwear. One of the people did it and me and the lady next to me just walked off stage. Wicked uncomftorable so I left the theater and watched the movie at home and the movie SUCKED with the exception of the part where Meat Loaf comes in and sings his song

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 7, 2024

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Horror is paradoxically both horny and unhorny compared to other movies. Horror has always existed in a counter culture, subversive kind of place so it’s always been unabashedly open with sexual stuff but because it is, it doesn’t have that level of pure barely repressed desire for sex other media goes with.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Fear and desire are primally linked, deep sensations on the same plane. The best horror has horny inherent, and that doesn't just mean boobs and sex scenes. There's a reason so many slasher villains are sex symbols.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

did anyone else get a trailer for tarot

Yeah, I got it for my Immaculate screening too. Looks fun. Horror fans are eating good in theaters this year for sure with how much quality we're getting and still have to get :woop:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

As someone who went to college for journalism and took reporting classes, edited together video packages, etc. The Blair Witch Project is incredible to me because it absolutely nails the reality of the concept. You fully believe it's found footage because it does so many great little things an actual student documentary would do. I love the intensity and ramping panic and frustration, too. It's still awesome.

Yeah I think it works really well on the psychological level, you can feel them getting on each other's nerves and kinda losing it, while there's still a sense of something out there that's pushing on them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Creepypastas came up earlier and I know of two good ones: the cave one mentioned earlier and Dionaea House, which is here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041030020221/http://www.dionaea-house.com/default.htm

Good sense of tension, keeps coy about the details, doesn't overplay its hand. (Which is what 99% of these things do.)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I think it works really well on the psychological level, you can feel them getting on each other's nerves and kinda losing it, while there's still a sense of something out there that's pushing on them.

All the dialogue was ad-libbed after the three of them went out with cameras in the woods and just went from GPS location to GPS location reacting to whatever "strange poo poo" the filmmakers had ready for them. It works so well because a lot of found footage films feel way too scripted and structured and you just can't lose yourself in them (which I think is critical to enjoying found footage). Blair Witch feels authentic in it's own way and it's easy to just accept it in your mind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

I went to a Rocky Horror show picture once and they picked people from the audience onstage to come up (3 of us), then told us to strip down to our underwear. One of the people did it and me and the lady next to me just walked off stage. Wicked uncomftorable so I left the theater and watched the movie at home and the movie SUCKED with the exception of the part where Meat Loaf comes in and sings his song

Yeah, Rocky Horror live shows involve audience participation and you need to know what you're getting into before you go - or at least, that you should never let anyone know you're a Rocky virgin. Rocky Horror came out of the UK LGBT community in that period between Bowie coming out as bi and AIDS ruining the party where being sexually divergent was almost mainstream, and they wanted to be in everyone's face after so long in the closet. As such the original stage show is very performative, extremely camp and designed to make inhibited people feel uncomfortable. I will tell you that nobody wanted you to strip for sexual reasons and you would have been absolutely safe - I've never heard of a Rocky live show where someone took liberties with the Brads and Janets - but in your shoes I would have done the same thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

You couldn't make Lair of the White Worm today.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doltos posted:

I feel like horror is strangely unhorny compared to all other media for some reason. You get the classic people having sex and getting stabbed by Jason but other than that it's like Sleepaway Camp 2, Return of the Living Dead, and Giallos/70s horrors. I guess X counts but that felt more like a plot device than anything. There's nudity in a ton of sleazy horror films but it's not sheer horniness.

It just feels like it doesn't fit. Like Rocky Horror Picture Show is undoubtedly horny, but even then it feels uncomfortable. I took a bunch of foreign exchange students to a showing at our college but we all ended up leaving because the production was overly horny and everyone was just dry humping each other in lingerie.

Hammer Horror was built on two things: classically trained actors who needed a paycheck and tits in low cut historical dresses

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i know you’re doing a bit but I could see it being either an a24 or shudder exclusive

Won’t be a blumhouse that’s for sure

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gripweed posted:

Hammer Horror was built on two things: classically trained actors who needed a paycheck and tits in low cut historical dresses

Same goes for giallo, striking the very strict balance between lumpy middle aged men with bad haircuts, and the most beautiful women you've ever seen.

I do agree we need to make horror a bit hornier again. What's truly great horror without a little sleaze (within established boundaries of comfort for all actors involved, of course)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

And thank god for it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

You couldn't make Lair of the White Worm today.

This is what woke culture has taken from us

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just rewatched Unfriended: Dark Web and god that movie is so much fun. Mostly just a dark comedy about the shittiest white guy boyfriend in horror (well maybe not but he's up there. dude JUST LEARN ASL). It's truly an injustice we got like 15 Paranormal Activity films but I'll never get my third Unfriended.

Host (2020) is pretty much a spiritual sequel to Unfriended. A group of friends carry out an online seance on zoom and poo poo goes down.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Host (2020) is pretty much a spiritual sequel to Unfriended. A group of friends carry out an online seance on zoom and poo poo goes down.

Unlike Unfriended, however, it's complete and total garbage. (Unfriended is complete and total garbage, but in an endearing and fun way.)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Unfriended movies rule, the absolute perfect tone of schlocky nonsense that the material deserves. I'll definitely have to check out Host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Hmm... I wonder how I would define a "Horny Horror" category for the May challenge...