Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
picture of king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i do intend to tell as many people as possible how much i hate wes streeting

hopefully including Wes Streeting

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Daily Mail We Love The Royals calendar. Anything, even if it's the most obvious you'd expect for him.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This bit of news from The TImes escaped my radar yesterday

quote:

Keir Starmer and Lindsay Hoyle face inquiry over Gaza ceasefire vote

Sir Keir Starmer and Sir Lindsay Hoyle are facing a Commons investigation, with Penny Mordaunt backing a fresh attempt by Conservative and SNP MPs to force action over claims of intimidation during a chaotic vote on Gaza.

Mordaunt, the leader of the Commons, is said to be “really keen” to allow time for a vote on a motion which would refer the Labour leader and the Speaker to the privileges committee for investigation over claims of improper coercion by Starmer.

Tory MPs believe that if given Commons time the motion would almost certainly pass with combined Conservative and SNP support, leaving Starmer facing a potentially tricky investigation in the run-up to the election....

https://archive.is/lbJLs (non paywalled link)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

NotJustANumber99 posted:

nice to see the thumb there though

also there's a bit of finger obscuring the photo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
E: ^ :argh: I didn't see the was a new page

NotJustANumber99 posted:

nice to see the thumb there though

All of them in fact

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

fuctifino posted:

This bit of news from The TImes escaped my radar yesterday

https://archive.is/lbJLs (non paywalled link)

Good. That was complete bullshit.

Looking at that 30p Lee photo (Or is it 30d Lee now he is in Reform?) there is a complete lack of diversity.

I see a Forest fan but no County fan.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just looking through the 2021 census data and even though England as a whole is only 82% white, there are still over 500 electoral wards which are more than 98% white.
I couldn't see anything as grimly ironic as the 2011 census having 'Eden' as the whitest part of the country, mind you.

[edit]
Sorry, not 'electoral wards', "MSOA21HCLNM". I hope that clears it up.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 7, 2024

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
This story is a couple of days old, but can be added to the 'things the Tories have mismanaged to breaking point and caused an outbreak of organised labour in unexpected places' list:

https://www.nautilusint.org/en/news-insight/news/officers-at-the-royal-fleet-auxiliary-vote-for-strike-action/

"Nautilus Internet posted:

Nautilus International members at the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) have voted strongly in favour of industrial action.

The ballot followed the rejection by members of a 4.5% pay offer for 2023 that fell far below the rate of inflation. Since 2010, RFA employees have faced real terms pay cut of over 30%, beyond other blue light services, leading to significant challenges in recruitment and retention and low morale across the workforce.

The results of the ballot are as follows:

79% voted yes to strike action

85% voted yes to action short of a strike

60% turnout

The RFA is the support fleet for the Royal Navy that operates its tankers, stores ships, logistics platforms and undersea surveillance ships. It is part of the MoD but not a military organisation; its members are merchant sailors employed by the government (essentially civil servants) hence why they're able to unionise and strike unlike their counterparts in the Grey Funnel Line.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Carriers with no planes now have no fuel

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Didn't they eventually get the planes? Or was it just some for testing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Are both the carriers still broken? If so, they won't be needing any fuel for movement, so check mate RFA!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Didn't they eventually get the planes? Or was it just some for testing.

There are 138 F-35s on order and the UK currently has 30 aircraft operational.

Each carrier is designed to carry 24 F-35s (up to 36 as an operational maximum - you sacrifice helicopter numbers to carry that many) and a normal deployment will be between 12 and 18, consisting of a mix of British and American aircraft.

The carriers have already made operational deployments with F-35s aboard.

fuctifino posted:

Are both the carriers still broken? If so, they won't be needing any fuel for movement, so check mate RFA!

QLIZ is currently under repair, PWLS is currently up in the High North doing NATO's Steadfast Defender exercise so is very much functional.

The RFA is also the Navy’s primary way of delivering humanitarian aid and disaster relief - RFA landing ships are how UK aid tagged for Gaza gets to Egypt via Cyprus.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 7, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

So, mostly the latter apparently.

The deployments I found only had like 8 planes each too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The HMS Queen Elizabeth is out of action still due to the recent fire. The BBC reports little damage and no injuries, but the Sun reports 100 beds were destroyed and there were10 injuries.

The HMS Prince of Wales isn't currently on fire and looks like it can move, for now.

e:f;b

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 7, 2024

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

BalloonFish posted:

There are 138 F-35s on order and the UK currently has 30 aircraft operational.

Each carrier is designed to carry 24 F-35s (up to 36 as an operational maximum - you sacrifice helicopter numbers to carry that many) and a normal deployment will be between 12 and 18, consisting of a mix of British and American aircraft.

The carriers have already made operational deployments with F-35s aboard.

QLIZ is currently under repair, PWLS is currently up in the High North doing NATO's Steadfast Defender exercise so is very much functional.

The RFA is also the Navy’s primary way of delivering humanitarian aid and disaster relief - RFA landing ships are how UK aid tagged for Gaza gets to Egypt via Cyprus.

They took some us marine f35s round the med for a bit of training before it crapped out. Our own f35b squarons are land bassed atm.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

Just looking through the 2021 census data and even though England as a whole is only 82% white, there are still over 500 electoral wards which are more than 98% white.

Ethnic minorities in the countryside are pretty thin on the ground here, no surprise really :shrug: Unlike the US, but there are uh historical reasons why chunks of the rural south have black people still living there that don't apply here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Which makes the whole voter ID debate so funny in the UK.

In the US it was obviously to disenfranchise the rural Black community that doesn't even exist here.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hey, congrats on becoming a republic

too bad your first president is a douche

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
whoops forgot to actually register myself for the conference and it's tomorrow. lol.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Sell them to Russia, they have copious experience with carriers that don't work.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

So where do I get glue to fix my shoe sole, and does anyone have any recommendations?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

So where do I get glue to fix my shoe sole, and does anyone have any recommendations?

Just go to a cobblers - it'll probably only be a few quid and they'll do it better so you're not hobbling around on a heel that's gone, or listening to the constant squeak of a poorly -repaired sole

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can get proper shoe glue off the internet, I haven't had much luck historically with superglue or epoxy as they tend to separate or crack. Ideally you want something that stays ductile after setting.

Or yeah, if you have a cobbler they might be your best bet.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Just Another Lurker posted:

Sell them to Russia, they have copious experience with carriers that don't work.

Sell them to China and watch them get refurbished into something functional.

If they can turn a literal rusted hulk into an aircraft carrier they can turn the QE2 into the Hong Kong once they've fixed it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Which makes the whole voter ID debate so funny in the UK.

In the US it was obviously to disenfranchise the rural Black community that doesn't even exist here.

Even better, olds keep forgetting they needed to have photo ID so loads get disenfranchised. This has had a material impact on the tory vote since the rules came in.

The expectation was the opposite would be true, that the lazy yoof wouldn't get round to applying for ID. Problem is that almost all those lazy gits have photo ID in the form of passports, driving licences, or other proof of age ID.

Again the Tories inability to actually do the leg work of governing bit them in the arse.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
this is why we need to bring back problem drinking, once all the youths are using booze to drown the sorrows of the cursed world they have been born into they will all make sure they have up to date photo ids to get sold reliably

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This might tickle a schadenfreude gland or two
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1776911785087422579

I love how unprepared people like her are when confronted with news crews like this, and how loving inhuman they come across.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Miftan posted:

Isn't there a Timpsons on line every high street or side street or something?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

fuctifino posted:

This might tickle a schadenfreude gland or two
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1776911785087422579

I love how unprepared people like her are when confronted with news crews like this, and how loving inhuman they come across.

I love how the top comment was "BIKE WANKER!"

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Miftan posted:

Get a tube of impact adhesive. Probably the best general purpose glue for shoe repairs.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

You need a really strong contact glue (I like 'Thixofix') but will cost you £5-£10 for the smallest pot of which you will use a smear, or take it to a local Timpsons where it will cost you £5 or so. Or buy the small pot, fix your shoes, then set up a small stand and charge people £2.50 for a smear of glue and disrupt the marketplace.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

fuctifino posted:

When it comes to people asking if you perjured yourself it’s best shutting the gently caress up

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Starbucks posted:

When it comes to people asking if you perjured yourself it’s best shutting the gently caress up

That's fair, but most humans would have at least a pre-prepared sentence or use some formal pleasantry to fill the airtime, rather than do the shocked and silent guilty-looking walk of shame.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Some things i was expecting, unfortunate though they may be.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

fuctifino posted:

That's fair, but most humans would have at least a pre-prepared sentence or use some formal pleasantry to fill the airtime, rather than do the shocked and silent guilty-looking walk of shame.

What's so difficult about repeating "no comment" until they get bored?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No comment.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Soylent Yellow posted:

What's so difficult about repeating "no comment" until they get bored?

She likely has a case of the Boris Johnson in that she cannot open her mouth without telling a lie

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Is it just me or is there a renewed push by the govt to justify Israeli actions?
Just seems to have stoked up again in the past few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is it just me or is there a renewed push by the govt to justify Israeli actions?
Just seems to have stoked up again in the past few days.

yeah theyve even moved to silence fuctifino on spurious non recent charges