Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Broken Cog posted:

If anyone want a fun challenge, I can recommend running 3x warrior + mage for support

this is hilariously busted on anything that doesn't fly and is still great on a bunch of enemies that do. pack hammers for a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm. During my first playthrough my main pawn caught the Dragonblight several times, I deliberately never did anything to stop it after the first occurrence, and for some reason it never seemed to progress. I think my pawns just kept passing it around until finally the one who had it happened to be dismissed.

Now on my second playthrough I've figured out a surefire way to get the bad outcome - wait until your main pawn catches it, immediately dismiss any support pawns you might have, then just rest a few times. The consequences are honestly pretty severe, with lots of vendors and quest NPCs dead. Frankly, if you somehow didn't catch it in time, I can understand being taken aback by what happens. I personally like that they went all-out with it, it's very Dragon's Dogma.

Last night my pawn went haywire and today it really gave me anxiety when I was walking around in Venworth where it happened. Initially I was planning on not resurrecting anyone just to see if it was even necessary, but eventually I revived Brant in the charnel house. There's even a guy there that has an inventory of all the dead and if you pay him 5K gold he will put a candle next to the coffin of your choosing, because my charnel house was more than full on all floors.

Pawn plague outcome and quest impact spoiler: When it just happened you can still find some people walking around, but I think they are all children which is odd because I can confirm that for example Daphne and Malcolm were dead. When you rest a couple of days other NPC's show up that take the previous NPCs place. For example: there's a dude now in Bjorn's Armory or whatever, who even says "Welcome to Bjorn's Armory", but his name is not Bjorn. At this time all services incl. the ox carts are available.
When I talked to Brant at night to advance the masquerade quest or whatever, he wouldn't let me start the quest even though I had the courtly armor set and the mask on. I had to google to find out I needed to revive Sven. Once I did that, I was able to advance the quest and get the follow up to Bakbattahl. Other quests in Vermund, for example the Lennart/Ulrika quests and the tome quests with the girl mage and her dad in Checkpoint Rest Town were not affected.

Honestly it's not a very big deal especially since I'm in Bakbattahl now, but I can see people being bummed out about it, for example if you have maxed out affinity with some people. It kind of gave me anxiety when you see all the carnage as well, worried what would be the consequences. Also if you are not as thorough as I am it can probably screw up some quests, it may have with me for one or two as well, there's so much hidden or timegated stuff.

The biggest issue I have is that apart from the tutorial, I never had any indication my pawns aids had progressed so far or that he even had it at all. I read here from other people that you get very explicit signs and also that usually it will go away of its own, so I completely didn't register that my pawn was affected and the event took me by surprise. I am now kind of paranoid, because I won't get the tutorial any more and then the chance of this happening in any of the places where I have a lot of quests is there. And I definately do not want this to happen there.

Sioux fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 7, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I cannot go five minutes without my pawn catching the 'blight. I don't want to be judgmental, but I'm starting to think it might be a lifestyle issue.

Whoever has a pawn named Charlotte, I'm pretty sure she was the one who originally had it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I cannot go five minutes without my pawn catching the 'blight. I don't want to be judgmental, but I'm starting to think it might be a lifestyle issue.

Whoever has a pawn named Charlotte, I'm pretty sure she was the one who originally had it.

Uhhh...I think that's just a Straightforward Pawn line.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The sass can be subtle, you might not notice in time if you don't give orders often, or if your pawn is Straightforward and therefore already sassy.

The biggest telltale sign is the red eyes. I'm pretty sure it's impossible for a pawn to go nuclear unless they already have those glowing red eyes. What I would do if you're paranoid is make sure your main pawn unambiguously does not have red eyes by default (my pawn's are normally a clear blue so the change is immediately obvious) and is wearing a piece of head armor where you can always see their eyes (which is usually the case), and then only hire support pawns that meet those same criteria. Then, every time before you rest in a town, make a habit of checking everyone's eyes. If anyone has suspicious eyes, dismiss or brine them. I am fairly certain this is foolproof.

Jack Trades posted:

Uhhh...I think that's just a Straightforward Pawn line.

Well, she's Calm, not Straightforward, and she actually did have it, so I'm pretty sure her saying that line out of nowhere is still suspicious.

Does go to show, if you're not familiar with all the lines that can fire, you might not catch it in time relying only on that method.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 7, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The dragonblight sass is extremely noticeable, even if you don't give them ANY orders. The pawn will just completely randomly go "I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" without you having to give any commands.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I got the true ending, and I think next time I need to play with an Affinity bar mod because that "top 3 friends" list made no sense to me. Aside from that, a very fun game with a few problems that have mostly already been noted, I don't see a reason to dive right back into NG+ but I'll probably give it a shot at a later date. Hopefully with some additional content coming soon. In the meantime, my level 70 warrior pawn will be there in the sheet, she's got some pretty good stats.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 7, 2024

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lets hang out posted:

Pretty obnoxious + unnecessary that the skeletons who break the boards barring the gate in the dungeon that connects the elf forest and Melve don't spawn until you've completed the quest that sends you there.

Bit of a cheat but: if you grab one of your pawns (melee preferred) then drop them on the right edge of any barricaded door while moving forward you’ll clip your pawn past the door, triggering them to attack the door and open for you.

This works on any door with the wooden barricade.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

The dragonblight sass is extremely noticeable, even if you don't give them ANY orders. The pawn will just completely randomly go "I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" without you having to give any commands.

The first time I got this, I thought it was because I'd long ago gotten impatient with my pawns and was using the dpad to give them orders at every turn. I was really impressed for a bit that the game would react to that.

e: something weird happened to my Till Death Do Us Part quest.

quest spoilers for a very early game quest, possible bug: Since it was NG+ and I was over level 80, I sprinted straight to the Illdoer's Resting Place and murdalized the dullahan in no time flat. Dude thanks me for saving him and says he's gonna go home to his wife. Soon as he scampers off I ferrystone back to Vermund and run to the wife to close the quest out. I see husband and wife together already (maybe he had a ferrystone too), and they're both giving their regular NPC barks when I try to interact, and the quest isn't advancing. In the quest details it's still got the circle over the dullahan location, and dude's soldiers are still hanging out there doing nothing, and... well that's the state the quest has been in for the past two in game weeks.

Not 100% sure what I did to bug the quest, maybe the immediate ferrystone before waiting for some quest trigger to occur, or maybe killing the dullahan? I don't think killing it should affect anything but the quest details do say you don't have to kill it, just survive. But I'm suspecting the quick ferrystone did it.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 7, 2024

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The first time I got this, I thought it was because I'd long ago gotten impatient with my pawns and was using the dpad to give them orders at every turn. I was really impressed for a bit that the game would react to that.

e: something weird happened to my Till Death Do Us Part quest.

quest spoilers for a very early game quest, possible bug: Since it was NG+ and I was over level 80, I sprinted straight to the Illdoer's Resting Place and murdalized the dullahan in no time flat. Dude thanks me for saving him and says he's gonna go home to his wife. Soon as he scampers off I ferrystone back to Vermund and run to the wife to close the quest out. I see husband and wife together already (maybe he had a ferrystone too), and they're both giving their regular NPC barks when I try to interact, and the quest isn't advancing. In the quest details it's still got the circle over the dullahan location, and dude's soldiers are still hanging out there doing nothing, and... well that's the state the quest has been in for the past two in game weeks.

Not 100% sure what I did to bug the quest, maybe the immediate ferrystone before waiting for some quest trigger to occur, or maybe killing the dullahan? I don't think killing it should affect anything but the quest details do say you don't have to kill it, just survive. But I'm suspecting the quick ferrystone did it.

Based on similar reports, it seems like actually destroying the dullahan breaks it, it needs to time out for the quest to properly progress. I can't verify that but it would fit with what you're seeing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I did that quest on NG+, spanked the monster and went back and everything seemed to complete as normal?

This was on PS5

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Finished playthrough 2 last night, mostly sticking to magic vocations instead of the melee I gravitated towards on my first run. Primarily with a double Sorcerer team, which I think makes Sorc significantly more fun since you have that extra element of working with your pawn to speed casts and hit each other's flares.

Playing with the difficulty tweaks mod to make enemies take 70% less damage the whole way through was generally pretty fun. A bit rough in the beginning but overcoming that difficulty was entertaining, and endgame stuff wouldn't just fall over instantly like it did the first time through (except the dragon oddly enough, who gets annihilated by a single flare once his heart is exposed). I turned it off for one Medusa fight and she died before getting 2 attacks off. Turned it back on to do it again, and it was a 10-minute brawl where 2 pawns died and I had to carefully peek around corners to toss out flares and trigger them from behind cover. I'd recommend it if you have patience.

That being said, it did expose how completely terrible Sorcerer spells are other than Flare, Meteoron, Maelstrom, and Levin (for triggering Flare). Nothing else does any damage at all. Better off unequipping your staff and punching things than trying to kill it with Salamander or Frigor or whatever. A mere 4 spell slots sucks, but the other spells are so bad that it's not like I'd cast anything else anyways if I had 6 like DD1.

Time for playthrough 3 as a Fordola + Arenvald dual Fighter team with no other pawns.

I have a feeling he's going to be needing his wheelchair sooner rather than later.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 7, 2024

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Question with late game spoilers: I'm in the unmoored world and haven't met the sphinx yet. I googled its location up in the mountains but there's just a few locked chests there. Did I miss out?

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

That would be me. Time for a bath.

But seriously thought, I'm pretty sure she's normal. Just logged in and she seems completely fine. Still gave her the wash, just in case. Maybe she just passed it? She got hired a lot. But now that I think of it, another pawn looked suspicious last night...

Also, would it be possible to unlock that sorting setting in the pawn goon list? I don't mind having some owner's restriction on it, but it would make searching easier for everybody.

Lamare fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 7, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Magil Zeal posted:

Based on similar reports, it seems like actually destroying the dullahan breaks it, it needs to time out for the quest to properly progress. I can't verify that but it would fit with what you're seeing.

Nah, I killed the Dullahan on my recent run, and the quest continued as normal.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Found 220 seeker tokens without using a guide. I cannot wait to never hear that sound again. FYI a couple in the post-game are not collectable because they're now in the world geometry, but they will continue to make noise and if you get close enough you can see them flashing. Also the final one I needed was floating in the air but I was able to collect it by standing directly underneath it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I was enjoying spearman but Magick Archer is loving hilarious how you can poo poo out damage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Found 220 seeker tokens without using a guide. I cannot wait to never hear that sound again. FYI a couple in the post-game are not collectable because they're now in the world geometry, but they will continue to make noise and if you get close enough you can see them flashing. Also the final one I needed was floating in the air but I was able to collect it by standing directly underneath it.

Congrats, I managed to get to 170 before I turned it off

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde

McKilligan posted:

My Grandma pawn WILL complain all the time, be snarky about most actions the player takes, and split the heavens with her magick.

ZEG6IGHTC9F6 if you need a lvl 50 chaos grandma in your party.

This old lady kicks rear end.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Welp, pawn took a running leap off a cliff, and by the time I climbed down to his corpse it had teleported back to the top of the cliff. He has nobody but himself to blame if he's got less that maximum affinity with me, given I'm rapidly running out of opportunities to increase them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm continually disappointed how much they nerfed the baseline effectiveness of monster climbing. it used to be one of the best ways to do DPS and was worthwhile even with just regular climbing attacks, in DD2 it's mostly just bad damage until the monster thinking an angry thought makes you randomly fly off and take fall damage. I'm sure the specific "usable while climbing" skills are better but at least on thief there's no reason to use them when skull splitter also exists

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, I killed the Dullahan on my recent run, and the quest continued as normal.

See, this is good to know, but some people do report issues with it if they do. So now back to not knowing what causes it to bug out.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Owl Inspector posted:

I'm continually disappointed how much they nerfed the baseline effectiveness of monster climbing. it used to be one of the best ways to do DPS and was worthwhile even with just regular climbing attacks, in DD2 it's mostly just bad damage until the monster thinking an angry thought makes you randomly fly off and take fall damage. I'm sure the specific "usable while climbing" skills are better but at least on thief there's no reason to use them when skull splitter also exists

Was wondering if it was my rose-tinted glasses speaking because I was thinking the same. I have all the climbing passives between thief and archer, and it still doesn't feel like the Strider of old. And that's before the being thrown off all the time which seriously ticks me off. I still go for it because Draw and Quarter looks awesome, but man, does it feel like effort mode at times.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 7, 2024

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are there any mods to rename arisen/pawn?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think part of it is that they also nerfed monster reactions to weak point damage. It feels a lot harder to get a full knockdown on monsters than it was in the first game

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

you NEED all 240. You've come this far. Don't back out now!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tarezax posted:

I think part of it is that they also nerfed monster reactions to weak point damage. It feels a lot harder to get a full knockdown on monsters than it was in the first game

I think they want you to grab and push, so it's pretty easy to get a basic stagger, but a bit harder to punch them down completely.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

Question with late game spoilers: I'm in the unmoored world and haven't met the sphinx yet. I googled its location up in the mountains but there's just a few locked chests there. Did I miss out?

Yes

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you think it's hard to get knockdowns then you're not playing the right class, or aren't using knockdown focused weapons

Warriors can score knockdowns reliably after just a few hits.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Vargs posted:

Finished playthrough 2 last night, mostly sticking to magic vocations instead of the melee I gravitated towards on my first run. Primarily with a double Sorcerer team, which I think makes Sorc significantly more fun since you have that extra element of working with your pawn to speed casts and hit each other's flares.

Playing with the difficulty tweaks mod to make enemies take 70% less damage the whole way through was generally pretty fun. A bit rough in the beginning but overcoming that difficulty was entertaining, and endgame stuff wouldn't just fall over instantly like it did the first time through (except the dragon oddly enough, who gets annihilated by a single flare once his heart is exposed). I turned it off for one Medusa fight and she died before getting 2 attacks off. Turned it back on to do it again, and it was a 10-minute brawl where 2 pawns died and I had to carefully peek around corners to toss out flares and trigger them from behind cover. I'd recommend it if you have patience.

That being said, it did expose how completely terrible Sorcerer spells are other than Flare, Meteoron, Maelstrom, and Levin (for triggering Flare). Nothing else does any damage at all. Better off unequipping your staff and punching things than trying to kill it with Salamander or Frigor or whatever. A mere 4 spell slots sucks, but the other spells are so bad that it's not like I'd cast anything else anyways if I had 6 like DD1.

Time for playthrough 3 as a Fordola + Arenvald dual Fighter team with no other pawns.

I have a feeling he's going to be needing his wheelchair sooner rather than later.

Starting new playthroughs is fun but the fact that all the cool fun vocations are locked behind (sometimes extremely late) progression kinda sucks

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm curious what happens if you find all 240 tokens and then talk to the sphinx for her riddle.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
still probably just sends you back to find the first one

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

satanic splash-back posted:

If you think it's hard to get knockdowns then you're not playing the right class, or aren't using knockdown focused weapons

Warriors can score knockdowns reliably after just a few hits.

that's even before dwarven smithing. fighters are almost as good if you shield bash actively and pack a mace, but a warrior doing charged slams will knock anything down, faster and more constantly with two warriors.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Getting the augment that makes seeker tokens chime has been great. It's revitalized Vermund for me, now that I have a reason (however flimsy) to climb all over it again.

I keep expecting to get tired of this game but it's just so engrossing and charming.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I must be deaf because I never heard the chime. But getting wallhacks for them too is plenty

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

homeless snail posted:

I must be deaf because I never heard the chime. But getting wallhacks for them too is plenty

Maybe you have an audio setting turned down or something? The chime is hard to miss, especially when you're in a town and there are 4 tokens scattered within earshot.

And it gets quicker as you get closer so when you're on top of it it's beeping nonstop.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

saw a lich (not wight) for the first time and it drifted 100m away to a dead cyclops I had killed right before it and brought it back to life. I wonder if destroying the corpse would prevent that. Pretty cool, never saw that happen in DD1.

explosive arrow is just as powerful on archer pawns except they just sort of pick skills to use randomly and will waste them on a single harpy, so this trip from checkpoint rest town to battahl has already used 70 of the 100 arrows I gave him

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Archer pawns absolutely cannot use special arrows responsibly so it's best to give them only 20 or so at a time

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What exactly did I activate that's showing me random Arisen on my map? These were not here yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Thumbtacks posted:

What exactly did I activate that's showing me random Arisen on my map? These were not here yesterday.

Idk either, but I think it's not Arisen it's Maisters. Like the magic archer elf lady gets marked, but you mostly you notice it with Sigurd and Lamond.