Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

Delay Social Security? Not Everyone Can Do it

shocking absolutely no one in the thread not only is raising the retirement age classist, it's also racist

quote:

Research shows that how much someone earns is a big factor in when they decide to retire.

oh word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Biplane posted:

oh word?

having food reported to be major factor in determining when people eat

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Oldest Man posted:

I think anyone who believes unions in the capitalist empire can be a tool for more than short term wins for members needs to answer to the failure of the Seattle general strike and other instances of radical trade unionism catching the car that didn't translate into any more revolutionary change because oops that's not what the working class in the imperial core actually wants
Unions are not a panacea but it's also the best shot that americans have at all. As said in the re-education thread, electoralism is a useless busybox within the bourgeois parties (see also DSA lulz thread). Only a unified worker movement can confront the strength of capital in order to weaken and destroy it, and unionizing your workplace is by far the most meaningful impact anyone can do in their whole lives (sans [redacted]) to even slightly take steps in that direction. The main advantage of unionizing is heightening the contradictions between the obvious ownership by the plutocrats vs the proletariat and the very obvious clearly delineated division between the two that most people lack the material understanding without working within organized labor. Other advantages is developing infrastructure for clawing back even just a single penny of profits from the plutocrat-class, and having infrastructure in place to potentially take over the private property and flow of capital when it inevitably recedes and weakens through external forces

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Biplane posted:

oh word?
Some John Madden-level of analysis there

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Xaris posted:

Unions are not a panacea but it's also the best shot that americans have at all. As said in the re-education thread, electoralism is a useless busybox within the bourgeois parties (see also DSA lulz thread). Only a unified worker movement can confront the strength of capital in order to weaken and destroy it, and unionizing your workplace is by far the most meaningful impact anyone can do in their whole lives (sans [redacted]) to even slightly take steps in that direction. The main advantage of unionizing is heightening the contradictions between the obvious ownership by the plutocrats vs the proletariat and the very obvious clearly delineated division between the two that most people lack the material understanding without working within organized labor. Other advantages is developing infrastructure for clawing back even just a single penny of profits from the plutocrat-class, and having infrastructure in place to potentially take over the private property and flow of capital when it inevitably recedes and weakens through external forces

quote:

Three simultaneous movements brought the strike to an end: Mayor Ole Hanson increased the police and military forces available to enforce order, though there was no disorder, and possibly to take the place of striking workers. Union officials, especially those more senior and those at higher levels of the labor movement, feared that using the general strike as a tactic would fail and set back their organizing efforts. Union members, perhaps seeing the strength of the forces arrayed against them, perhaps mindful of their union leaders concerns began to go back to work.[citation needed] The General Strike Committee attributed the end of the strike to pressure from international union officers and the difficulty of continuing to live in the shut-down city.[21]

The international offices of some of the unions and the national leadership of the AFL began to exert pressure on the General Strike Committee and individual unions to end the strike.[25] Some locals gave in to this pressure and returned to work. The executive committee of the General Strike Committee, pressured by the AFL and international labor organizations, proposed ending the general strike at midnight on February 8, but their recommendation was voted down by the General Strike Committee.[25] On February 8, some streetcar operators returned to work and restored some critical city transportation services. Seattle's main department store reopened as well.[26] Then teamsters and newsboys returned to work.[27] On February 10, the General Strike Committee voted to end the general strike on February 11 and by noon on that day it was over.[28] It stated its reasons: "Pressure from international officers of unions, from executive committees of unions, from the 'leaders' in the labor movement, even from those very leaders who are still called 'Bolsheviki' by the undiscriminating press. "

oops we organized within the boundaries of the bourgeois state, the structure and incentives of our organizing betrayed us, and ultimately we accomplished nothing but setting off a wave of very successful anti-communism

you know who got got the hardest out of tail end of this was the most radical unionists in the iww who believed in the revolutionary potential of trade unionism, as usual

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This is her family country home, btw

She saved and only went out for coffee once a week so she would one day inherit Latymer House.
looks like poo poo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Oldest Man posted:

oops we organized within the boundaries of the bourgeois state, the structure and incentives of our organizing betrayed us, and ultimately we accomplished nothing but setting off a wave of very successful anti-communism

you know who got got the hardest out of tail end of this was the most radical unionists in the iww who believed in the revolutionary potential of trade unionism, as usual

you fool, when someone is punching you to death, you should just take it and not try anything ever. also miraculously despite the fact that punching back has provably worked, i have chosen a single example where it hasnt.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/SamWhyte/status/1776923559215956172

The media just routinely tries to indoctrinate the population by running articles like this but you'd think they could find authors less blatantly of class enemies than this

they cant have class traitors because they obviously are not up to the task of scolding. only the aristocracy can properly scold because they will never actually speak to a middle class person in their life and if they do it will be a traumatic experience that will also get its own article about how people refuse to wear ties anymore or something batshit

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

anime was right posted:

you fool, when someone is punching you to death, you should just take it and not try anything ever. also miraculously despite the fact that punching back has provably worked, i have chosen a single example where it hasnt.

do you want to talk about all the other times when people who thought trade unionism was a tool for something besides maybe getting an incrementally bigger slice of the imperial spoils pie until it gets taken back got killed, it's not like it's been that infrequent an occurrence

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

The Oldest Man posted:

do you want to talk about all the other times when people who thought trade unionism was a tool for something besides maybe getting an incrementally bigger slice of the imperial spoils pie until it gets taken back got killed, it's not like it's been that infrequent an occurrence
what you are referring to is State monopoly on violence for reinforcing rigid structures of capital accumulation to the plutocrats. and it's true and well documented that the State/CIA worked tirelessly assassinating people domestically who worked against capital (including black power leaders), instilling liberal stooges, and undermining efforts of organized labor. this is not a failure directly laid at the hands of unionizing but one that there was no answer for State violence. today, labor organizers are more aware of the past. however, most important at all, State monopoly on violence requires a material base required to sustain it's stranglehold on the masses and that material base is rapidly cleaving in half. neoliberal rot has set in quite deep and there are no longer the robust structures that worked with infinite impunity and resources to assassinate anyone left of carter. much like US is incapable of even waging a proxy war these days, so too it is incapable of complete domestic control thanks to rot and merely running on inertial fumes

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
if i were a union i would simply choose to unleash the will of the righteous volk against the cowardly and the dependent lessers and replace the us government with a moral one through mindless dedication to my vision board. in a leftist way, of course

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Biplane posted:

oh word?

I dunno, I’m gonna need to see this so-called “research.”

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

stumblebum posted:

if i were a union i would simply choose to unleash the will of the righteous volk against the cowardly and the dependent lessers and replace the us government with a moral one through mindless dedication to my vision board. in a leftist way, of course

you are a union of trillions of cells

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Xaris posted:

what you are referring to is State monopoly on violence for reinforcing rigid structures of capital accumulation to the plutocrats. and it's true and well documented that the State/CIA worked tirelessly assassinating people domestically who worked against capital (including black power leaders), instilling liberal stooges, and undermining efforts of organized labor. this is not a failure directly laid at the hands of unionizing but one that there was no answer for State violence. today, labor organizers are more aware of the past. however, most important at all, State monopoly on violence requires a material base required to sustain it's stranglehold on the masses and that material base is rapidly cleaving in half. neoliberal rot has set in quite deep and there are no longer the robust structures that worked with infinite impunity and resources to assassinate anyone left of carter. much like US is incapable of even waging a proxy war these days, so too it is incapable of complete domestic control thanks to rot and merely running on inertial fumes

i picked the seattle general strike as an example because the unionists fully caught the car on that one. the city was totally paralyzed, the police and military bluffs against them were obvious paper tigers, and there was no way for the mayor to get the city's shipyard (the original strike for which the general strike was called in support) up and running again short of capitulation. im sure eventually the state violence apparatus would have been properly mobilized against them, but at the time the union leaders told them to fold, they had a free hand and probably would have done for weeks if not months afterward.

a weaker state may mean more opportunities for union organizing to succeed, but those successes are going to be built on sand. the entire basis of trade unionism under capitalism is scraping off a bit more of the plunder coming from the periphery for workers in the core to benefit from. as the state shrivels and the plunder dries up, that basis vanishes along with it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Xaris posted:

zoomer cia too lazy and distracted with posting on tik toks from their phones at langley, smdh

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

imperial cores, and treats, and electoralism, are all extremely ftw

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

aw frig aw dang it posted:

imperial cores, and treats, and electoralism, are all extremely ftw

Writing this in the first line of the New CHAZ Constitution

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

imperial corea

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Mandel Brotset posted:

you are a union of trillions of cells
my cells are organized into a horizontalist anti-authoritarian communal federation of liberated individuals and *strokes out as blood cells start feuding with brain cells over calories*

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Gosh, I dunno guys. I'm starting to worry that the power structure might respond to threats with violence. Maybe we should find something else to do on Saturday nights...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lazy girl jobs

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nonsense posted:

lazy girl jobs

Meet The Latest Version Of Quiet Quitting: ‘Lazy Girl Jobs’

www.forbes.com - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 posted:

Many young people—of all genders—want jobs that leave plenty of time and energy for the rest of life, which they see as more meaningful than work.

Over the past few years, the notion of ‘quiet quitting’ has entered the workforce conversation, with some (like myself) appreciating its work-life blend appeal—while others dismiss it as pure laziness.

It turns out many Gen Zers are just fine with being called lazy. In fact, Gen Z TikToker Gabrielle Judge coined the term ‘lazy girl jobs’ to describe her generation’s version of quiet quitting. In her definition, lazy girl jobs are nontechnical remote roles that pay decently, minimize coworker interaction and allow a significant level of flexibility. (And hint: such jobs are not just for women.)

People who actively seek this kind of work are not necessarily lazy; in fact, Judge says that word was chosen primarily for its marketing/SEO impact in the phrase. These young people just want to do their work with plenty of time and energy left for the rest of life, which they see as more meaningful than their job.

Gen Z is embracing this trend, not just for its rejection of typical corporate values but also because such jobs tend to be low anxiety. “Particularly among Gen Z, who are the most digitally connected generation to date, the boundaries between work and personal life have blurred even further,” says Jenny von Podewils, co-CEO of Leapsome. Mental health is significant to most workers today, but especially to Millennials and Gen Z, over 80% of whom emphasize the importance of mental health support and policies.

Naturally, a term like ‘lazy girl jobs’ is not going to meet with universal approbation, even within Gen Z. Unsurprisingly, some in older generations go so far as to call Gen Z “entitled,” “lazy,” and “uninterested.” But this isn’t fair, argues Sue Slater, VP of Employee Experience at Curriculum Associates. “Every time a new generation enters the workforce, we tend to focus on what makes them different and see them as flaws,” she says. “But the truth is: They are not that different from us.”

I recently connected with von Podewils and Slater to discuss Gen Z’s new approach to work and why it’s drawing fire from older colleagues. Here’s what we covered.

## Is Gen Z lazy? Define lazy

The word ‘lazy’ probably means something different to me as a Baby Boomer than to my Gen Z counterparts. I believe when they use the term, Gen Z means ‘lazy’ only as compared to the hustle, hurry, constant-overtime, get-that-promotion work culture they saw their parents devoting their lives to. “If that’s hardworking, I’d rather be lazy—this isn’t all there is to life” would seem to sum up their feelings.

Like myself, Slater believes trends like quiet quitting and lazy girl jobs are really about work-life boundaries. “There’s no question that the world and the workforce are extremely fast-paced,” she says. “People don’t necessarily want to quiet quit or have a ‘lazy girl job’—they often adopt these because they’re overstimulated or stressed.”

Von Podewils notes that many young people enter the workforce full steam ahead but then find the pace unsustainable. “Many Gen Z professionals, eager to make their mark, often start their careers with a burning desire to prove themselves, earn recognition, and build a reputation as reliable and high-performing colleagues,” she says. “This enthusiasm and sense of urgency are generally commendable traits, but they can sometimes lead to a neglect of essential practices for maintaining a balanced and healthy work-life.”

This tallies with Gen Z’s high levels of anxiety and burnout; of course they’re now going to seek work that doesn’t add to that burden. With less-demanding roles performed from the comfort of home, Slater says employees are no longer carrying a heavy mental load at work. “Ultimately, I think companies will find their employees are more productive and satisfied when they have a more sustainable workload.”

I asked Slater if Gen Z deserves the epithets of lazy, entitled, et cetera that we often hear in the corporate world. “We need to ask ourselves why we feel the need to label them in this alienating and unwelcoming way to begin with,” she says. “While their approach is different than generations who came before them, this isn’t a bad thing. If we want to bring out the best in our employees, we need to see the strengths they bring.”

Not only is Gen Z entrepreneurial, mission focused and innovative, says Slater, but they also prioritize human-centered relationships. “Focusing on negative stereotypes prevents organizations from gleaning the knowledge and unique perspectives Gen Z can bring to the workplace,” she says.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

lets call it lazy they jobs ok?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1777136813473198477

If anything Germany was ahead of the curve being anti renewable for the sake of "the West"

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7354360716436000043

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Googling lazy girl jobs near me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

the popes toes posted:

Googling lazy girl jobs near me.

Same.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Congrats on trusting a source that spreads misinformation at a 20% rate

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/xvJB4IZ.gifv

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

what the gently caress lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
amber waves of brain

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its waving goodbye on account of shes fuckin dumb

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

speng31b posted:

Congrats on trusting a source that spreads misinformation at a 20% rate

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Son of Sorrow posted:

Gosh, I dunno guys. I'm starting to worry that the power structure might respond to threats with violence. Maybe we should find something else to do on Saturday nights...

yep, im simply going to post (aka praxis) and play chrono trigger

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
(said, somehow without PUKING) some young peopel think there's more important things to life than lovely meaningless jobs

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How Tech Giants Cut Corners to Harvest Data for A.I. by five human authors (could have just asked grok):

quote:

In late 2021, OpenAI faced a supply problem.

The artificial intelligence lab had exhausted every reservoir of reputable English-language text on the internet as it developed its latest A.I. system. It needed more data to train the next version of its technology — lots more.

So OpenAI researchers created a speech recognition tool called Whisper. It could transcribe the audio from YouTube videos, yielding new conversational text that would make an A.I. system smarter.

Some OpenAI employees discussed how such a move might go against YouTube’s rules, three people with knowledge of the conversations said. YouTube, which is owned by Google, prohibits use of its videos for applications that are “independent” of the video platform.

Ultimately, an OpenAI team transcribed more than one million hours of YouTube videos, the people said. The team included Greg Brockman, OpenAI’s president, who personally helped collect the videos, two of the people said. The texts were then fed into a system called GPT-4, which was widely considered one of the world’s most powerful A.I. models and was the basis of the latest version of the ChatGPT chatbot.

The race to lead A.I. has become a desperate hunt for the digital data needed to advance the technology. To obtain that data, tech companies including OpenAI, Google and Meta have cut corners, ignored corporate policies and debated bending the law, according to an examination by The New York Times.

At Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, managers, lawyers and engineers last year discussed buying the publishing house Simon & Schuster to procure long works, according to recordings of internal meetings obtained by The Times. They also conferred on gathering copyrighted data from across the internet, even if that meant facing lawsuits. Negotiating licenses with publishers, artists, musicians and the news industry would take too long, they said.

Like OpenAI, Google transcribed YouTube videos to harvest text for its A.I. models, five people with knowledge of the company’s practices said. That potentially violated the copyrights to the videos, which belong to their creators.

Last year, Google also broadened its terms of service. One motivation for the change, according to members of the company’s privacy team and an internal message viewed by The Times, was to allow Google to be able to tap publicly available Google Docs, restaurant reviews on Google Maps and other online material for more of its A.I. products.

I didn't know Zuck wanted to buy an entire loving publisher just to train their poo poo on it. Amazing.

quote:

The volume of data is crucial. Leading chatbot systems have learned from pools of digital text spanning as many as three trillion words, or roughly twice the number of words stored in Oxford University’s Bodleian Library, which has collected manuscripts since 1602. The most prized data, A.I. researchers said, is high-quality information, such as published books and articles, which have been carefully written and edited by professionals.

Didn't you just finish telling us that they're so desperate they're transcribing youtube videos for content and mining reviews? How much of that poo poo is generated by godawful bots anyway (I mean like the Spiderman vs Elsa videos or whatever)?

quote:

For years, the internet — with sites like Wikipedia and Reddit — was a seemingly endless source of data. But as A.I. advanced, tech companies sought more repositories. Google and Meta, which have billions of users who produce search queries and social media posts every day, were largely limited by privacy laws and their own policies from drawing on much of that content for A.I.

Their situation is urgent. Tech companies could run through the high-quality data on the internet as soon as 2026, according to Epoch, a research institute. The companies are using the data faster than it is being produced.

“The only practical way for these tools to exist is if they can be trained on massive amounts of data without having to license that data,” Sy Damle, a lawyer who represents Andreessen Horowitz, a Silicon Valley venture capital firm, said of A.I. models last year in a public discussion about copyright law. “The data needed is so massive that even collective licensing really can’t work.”

It's the tone of urgency and inevitability that really gets to me. Who am I to question Andreessen Horowitz' finest when they say they have no choice but to pillage and plunder all of the data fields and mines?

quote:

In June, Google’s legal department asked the privacy team to draft language to broaden what the company could use consumer data for, according to two members of the privacy team and an internal message viewed by The Times.

The employees were told Google wanted to use people’s publicly available content in Google Docs, Google Sheets and related apps for an array of A.I. products. The employees said they didn’t know if the company had previously trained A.I. on such data.

At the time, Google’s privacy policy said the company could use publicly available information only to “help train Google’s language models and build features like Google Translate.”

The privacy team wrote new terms so Google could tap the data for its “A.I. models and build products and features like Google Translate, Bard and Cloud AI capabilities,” which was a wider collection of A.I. technologies.

“What is the end goal here?” one member of the privacy team asked in an internal message. “How broad are we going?”

The team was told specifically to release the new terms on the Fourth of July weekend, when people were typically focused on the holiday, the employees said. The revised policy debuted on July 1, at the start of the long weekend.

In August, two privacy team members said, they pressed managers on whether Google could start using data from free consumer versions of Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides. They were not given clear answers, they said.

Mr. Bryant said that the privacy policy changes had been made for clarity and that Google did not use information from Google Docs or related apps to train language models “without explicit permission” from users, referring to a voluntary program that allows users to test experimental features.

“We did not start training on additional types of data based on this language change,” he said.

What is the end goal here? indeed.

quote:

Meta could not match ChatGPT unless it got more data, Mr. Al-Dahle told colleagues. In March and April 2023, some of the company’s business development leaders, engineers and lawyers met nearly daily to tackle the problem.

Some debated paying $10 a book for the full licensing rights to new titles. They discussed buying Simon & Schuster, which publishes authors like Stephen King, according to the recordings.

They also talked about how they had summarized books, essays and other works from the internet without permission and discussed sucking up more, even if that meant facing lawsuits. One lawyer warned of “ethical” concerns around taking intellectual property from artists but was met with silence, according to the recordings.

Mr. Zuckerberg demanded a solution, employees said.

“The capability that Mark is looking for in the product is just something that we currently aren’t able to deliver,” one engineer said.

So what was their solution?

quote:

During their recorded discussions, Meta executives talked about how they had hired contractors in Africa to aggregate summaries of fiction and nonfiction. The summaries included copyrighted content “because we have no way of not collecting that,” a manager said in one meeting.

Meta’s executives said OpenAI seemed to have used copyrighted material without permission. It would take Meta too long to negotiate licenses with publishers, artists, musicians and the news industry, they said, according to the recordings.

“The only thing that’s holding us back from being as good as ChatGPT is literally just data volume,” Nick Grudin, a vice president of global partnership and content, said in one meeting.

OpenAI appeared to be taking copyrighted material and Meta could follow this “market precedent,” he added.

Meta’s executives agreed to lean on a 2015 court decision involving the Authors Guild versus Google, according to the recordings. In that case, Google was permitted to scan, digitize and catalog books in an online database after arguing that it had reproduced only snippets of the works online and had transformed the originals, which made it fair use.

Using data to train A.I. systems, Meta’s lawyers said in their meetings, should similarly be fair use.

At least two employees raised concerns about using intellectual property and not paying authors and other artists fairly or at all, according to the recordings. One employee recounted a separate discussion about copyrighted data with senior executives including Chris Cox, Meta’s chief product officer, and said no one in that meeting considered the ethics of using people’s creative works.

The last bit is summarizing some paragraphs on training on AI-generated data I cut out:

quote:

A.I. researchers have explored synthetic data for years. But building an A.I system that can train itself is easier said than done. A.I. models that learn from their own outputs can get caught in a loop where they reinforce their own quirks, mistakes and limitations.

“The data these systems need is like a path through the jungle,” said Jeff Clune, a former OpenAI researcher who now teaches computer science at the University of British Columbia. “If they only train on synthetic data, they can get lost in the jungle.”

To combat this, OpenAI and others are investigating how two different A.I. models might work together to generate synthetic data that is more useful and reliable. One system produces the data, while a second judges the information to separate the good from the bad. Researchers are divided on whether this method will work.

A.I. executives are barreling ahead nonetheless.

“It should be all right,” Mr. Altman said at the conference.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-gen-z-splurge-groceries-spending-inflation-gen-z-boomers-2024-4

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My parents were complaining because some friend of theirs has to deal with a Gen Z worker and they come in at 10, take a hour lunch, then dip out at 3 for the day and that’s baller as hell. Gen Z is gonna break the backs of the boomers with their 100% not giving a poo poo attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:guillotine: