Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah there's too many x state U's in the big ten already!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Adun posted:

Is it that crazy? ESPN will probably keep the purse string shut for the SEC and the Big Ten has only ever invited AAU schools

You don't have to pay for the ACC if there is no ACC *taps forehead*

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The ACC’s continued existence and potential relevance is good for the sport, I think, so I hope FSU and Clemson are completely stuck there.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think there's a reasonable chance Florida State would get into the Big Ten, but not Clemson. But Florida State wouldn't get in by themselves.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Adun posted:

Given how long a court case will take both teams are almost certainly doing this in the dark, or the best case scenario on a wing, a prayer, and a wink-wink deal

i think at least one league and or network has made some sort of vague overture about how florida state and/or clemson could be doing so much better than they are in their current deal

but it's just as likely that fsu and clemson just watched the pac 12 go up in smoke and suddenly the big 12 added on teams and the acc is the low man on the totem pole (along with their accurate perception that their football programs are buoying a lot of the conference's value) and are trying to get a foot in the door somewhere anywhere before it's too late

between that and the soft launch of the acc's doomed super league plan and the acc's total inability to exert any leverage on their most valued semi member and i would also be trying to get the gently caress out

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/OhioStateFB/status/1776714298942804326

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Declan MacManus posted:

but it's just as likely that fsu and clemson just watched the pac 12 go up in smoke and suddenly the big 12 added on teams and the acc is the low man on the totem pole (along with their accurate perception that their football programs are buoying a lot of the conference's value) and are trying to get a foot in the door somewhere anywhere before it's too late

What would “too late” look like for Florida State? The train’s not leaving without them (or leaving with them, depending on what the metaphor is).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 6, 2024

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Too late is not being in the SEC/Big10 or whatever super league precipitates by the time tv contracts solidify the composition of the conferences

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I don't see a world where FSU gets left out of whatever comes next, barring a Nebraska-like collapse. But the only date that's set in stone is the ACC's GoR expiring in '35 and that's a long time to have to try and stay relevant when you're making half as much as your regional rivals.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

pillsburysoldier posted:

Too late is not being in the SEC/Big10 or whatever super league precipitates by the time tv contracts solidify the composition of the conferences

Networks will put the Vanderbilts, Indianas, Mississippi States, and Northwesterns of the sport out in the cold before FSU. The super league will happen when the networks decide that instead of increasing the total pie they’re better off paying the same and just increasing the payouts to the 30 or so schools that matter.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sure, dont disagree with that at all, but that can be years out and years out. In the interim:

quote:

During the 2020-2021 season, the programs covered by the ACC's TV deal got around $40 million each

quote:

SEC distributed $55 million on average to each school in 2021.

Vandy could be up $45 million on FSU, Clemson, and Miami since those numbers came out lol. Money talks and while i dont think Vandy will drop $75 million to poach an excellent young coach from a premiere-but-non-SEC program, its a quickly growing disparity

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 7, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtZydGqqecM

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
ATTN: Radia

https://twitter.com/BallySportsDET/status/1777040481622303056

"good thing you didn't throw with that hand"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Blake also said that the B1G rings and National title rings are going to be presented to the players on April 20th.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

If the Big Ten is smart, they will realize that the equal payout for every member, even Rutgers and Indiana, created a stability that enabled the conference to survive and thrive versus the others that were torn apart by greed and envy. Hannibal thought that he could convert the other Italic city-states to his cause during the Second Punic War. He was wrong, and Rome destroyed Carthage and became the only empire of the Mediterranean.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

General Dog posted:

What would “too late” look like for Florida State? The train’s not leaving without them (or leaving with them, depending on what the metaphor is).

florida state is still doing fine but they don't have booster money like the honest to god blue bloods do, so they need that tv money to suppement NIL in the recruiting arms race

they're not behind yet but they're not keeping up with the joneses, and if they're stuck in the acc's grant of rights for another ten years then they're going to wither on the vine (at least that's their view); seeing what happened with the pac 12 being up for a new contract spooked a bunch of teams

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

one more iowa fact

https://x.com/theathleticwbb/status/1777098352024256718?s=46

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Caitlin Clark as Iowa OC.

Make it happen.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

facialimpediment posted:

ATTN: Radia

https://twitter.com/BallySportsDET/status/1777040481622303056

"good thing you didn't throw with that hand"

thank you for this. this is content made purely for me :unsmith:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

This seems incredibly unsurprising?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Komet posted:

If the Big Ten is smart, they will realize that the equal payout for every member, even Rutgers and Indiana, created a stability that enabled the conference to survive and thrive versus the others that were torn apart by greed and envy. Hannibal thought that he could convert the other Italic city-states to his cause during the Second Punic War. He was wrong, and Rome destroyed Carthage and became the only empire of the Mediterranean.

Barbarians At The Gates is thirty years old and there’s a reason why Nabisco no longer exists as an independent company

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want the Pac-12 back.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Komet posted:

I'm not sure I see your point. Most conferences have even, or very close to, distribution models. What the B10 does in that regard isn't novel.

Also it's not even in every case. Multiple new members haven't gotten a full share until they've been in the conference for years. The PacNW schools are getting half what the LA schools are getting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Komet posted:

Source your quotes

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

drunk leprechaun posted:

I'm not sure I see your point. Most conferences have even, or very close to, distribution models. What the B10 does in that regard isn't novel.

Also it's not even in every case. Multiple new members haven't gotten a full share until they've been in the conference for years. The PacNW schools are getting half what the LA schools are getting.

I really don't think the power schools in this proposed 80 team model (which is dead in the water anyway) would accept an equal pay model to other super conference teams like they do in the current conference system.

But there are other examples:

Texas wanted special treatment with their network and poisoned the Big XII.

There have been rumors of Clemson and FSU pushing for unequal revenue distribution in the ACC.

Both exacerbated tensions and have or will lead to substantial upheaval in their conferences.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

dphi posted:

This seems incredibly unsurprising?

caitlin clark played in 39 games and averaged 31.7 points per game

in her four years at iowa, the iowa football team played 49 games and the average fbs team scored around 26 ppg

spotting iowa 10 games means they should be roughly comparable, not that iowa still got stomped by 200 points

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They won the same number of titles as well

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I want the Pac-12 back.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Komet posted:

I really don't think the power schools in this proposed 80 team model (which is dead in the water anyway) would accept an equal pay model to other super conference teams like they do in the current conference system.

There have been rumors of Clemson and FSU pushing for unequal revenue distribution in the ACC.

Both exacerbated tensions and have or will lead to substantial upheaval in their conferences.

So you have one example and it's Texas lmao

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Well also the Big 12 started to splinter before unequal revenue distribution or LHN came into play. If anything those things saved the conference for a while.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
A new version of Deuce Vaughn appears:

https://x.com/FSUFootball/status/1777320054595428593

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Komet posted:

And Boise started making similar noises and they and the MWC figured it out. That conference is stable internally.

Again holding up the Big Ten as unique because of even revenue sharing isn't accurate, and also they don't share equally with all members. I don't think it's the equal revenge sharing. It's that they have the biggest bag.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Doogie Howser playing football

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Under Armor losing another of its major schools as Auburn announces their next deal is with Nike.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Under Armor losing another of its major schools as Auburn announces their next deal is with Nike.

Unironically, good I'm glad.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Texas A&M is considering bringing the bonfire back to campus. Appreciate them reaching out to the families of the bonfire victims, even if their opinion will ultimately mean jack poo poo if revenue could be had.

https://twitter.com/KBTXRusty/status/1777721383499272650

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Shades of that "Fun Toy Banned Because of Stupid Dead Kids" Onion article

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm too young to have any real nostalgia for bonfire, but A&M is probably still legally exposed when it comes to the annual off-campus with its students building it and recruiting the dorms and putting A&M's name on it, so it probably makes some sense to just bring it back to campus and at least put it under better supervision.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The trees of SEC must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of aggies and teasips. It is it’s natural manure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
What if they made the bonfire... smaller?