Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Subjunctive posted:

GFCI is done at the breaker now in a lot of places

I'm sure the dude that made that haphazard rear end drywall cut, and got an outlet and cover plate in two different colors, probably from out the shed, and used what looks like drywall screws for the switch cover plate, bought a $60 breaker from Home Despot and installed it properly.

I'm all about it though, I hate Decora devices, and I hate GFCIs more, because manipulating all those stiff wires into a box with a massive chunky outlet, then trying to get it to line up perfectly is an excersise in frustration. I'm wiring my new bathroom now, and you can bet it'll have a GFCI/AFCI outlet and normal receptacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Elviscat posted:

I'm sure the dude that made that haphazard rear end drywall cut, and got an outlet and cover plate in two different colors, probably from out the shed, and used what looks like drywall screws for the switch cover plate, bought a $60 breaker from Home Despot and installed it properly.

I'm all about it though, I hate Decora devices, and I hate GFCIs more, because manipulating all those stiff wires into a box with a massive chunky outlet, then trying to get it to line up perfectly is an excersise in frustration. I'm wiring my new bathroom now, and you can bet it'll have a GFCI/AFCI outlet and normal receptacles.

The implication I got was that they cut a path through the studs to install the socket, compromising the structural integrity of the wall.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

gently caress I just remembered that anencephaly victim saying “saw zaw” and loving up everyone’s psyche

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

cult_hero posted:

The implication I got was that they cut a path through the studs to install the socket, compromising the structural integrity of the wall.

The bottom-shelf routers they sell at Lowes Depot will let the magic smoke out if you put a bit with a deep enough plunge on them to meaningfully hurt a stud and then attempt to do so through drywall. It's definitely possible, but I doubt this dipshit spent $300+ between router and bit.

Far more likely the wire (which almost certainly isn't even Romex) is embedded in the drywall, uh, "patch" for the entire length of the run.

The corner worries me. I don't see how they could have routed out the corner with what they almost certainly bought but I also don't see a cable or wires exposed there. Perhaps they're even more magnificently stupid than I imagine.

E: wait this isn't the crappy construction thread, gently caress.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Probably used a Dremel to cut the groove for the wire and filled it in with spackle.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Well fill me with spackle and call me a code violation

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

freeedr posted:

Well fill me with spackle and call me a code violation

Stealing this for my drywaller/electrician buddy's birthday card.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don't have any spackle.

Will this big load of hot caulk do?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

freeedr posted:

gently caress I just remembered that anencephaly victim saying “saw zaw” and loving up everyone’s psyche

The what now?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Android Apocalypse posted:

I don't have any spackle.

Will this big load of hot caulk do?

Better be thick

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The tool is the Sawzall, which would 100% cause that channel of destruction, no $300 router needed. The meme reference is to this typo (or a related one)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Congrats, the last page made my brand new 3 GHz, 32 GB RAM computer stutter and freeze up like a dying mobile phone. Which is very funny, just not for me.

Actually, E-Machines are never obsolete!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

...because switches can be down stream from sockets?

They can if they have an RCD on the consumer unit. I'm not saying he doesn't have that, but based on that work would you be willing to bet that he does?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

The tool is the Sawzall, which would 100% cause that channel of destruction, no $300 router needed. The meme reference is to this typo (or a related one)

You can often find them cheap at yard sards or groj sails.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

BrianBoitano posted:

Surely you mean the Sozzle

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

BrianBoitano posted:

In their defence, "sawzall" is at least as stupid a name as "sawzaw" would've been, had it been real.

Around here it is known as a tiger saw, for what I am sure are equally dumb reasons.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Because of its primary use in parting up tigers, I assume?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aramoro posted:

They can if they have an RCD on the consumer unit. I'm not saying he doesn't have that, but based on that work would you be willing to bet that he does?

I don’t think that person built the house.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i just figured most lighting circuits aren't going to be on gfci cause usually outlets and lighting are segregated, but i guess we don't know the haps either way

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
'Round these parts we used to call that a gently caress-saw...

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

syntaxfunction posted:

"Bop" is my favourite new term for a good song (replacing "banger") because it's also straight from 1920s jazz lingo and that's loving cool. In fact a lotta of 20's jazz slang is coming back around and I for one and here for it.

"Bop" should go back to meaning masturbation. Like Cyndi Lauper intended in her seminal anthem "She Bop"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Seminal?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

"Bop" should go back to meaning masturbation. Like Cyndi Lauper intended in her seminal anthem "She Bop"

Blitzkrieg Bop

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

mobby_6kl posted:

Blitzkrieg Bop

They're generating steam heat!

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Phosphine posted:

In their defence, "sawzall" is at least as stupid a name as "sawzaw" would've been, had it been real.

Around here it is known as a tiger saw, for what I am sure are equally dumb reasons.

Sawzall is a Milwaukee brand name where Tiger Saw is a Porter Cable brand name

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I had to GoogleTM what a heck a 'sawzall' is. I thought it would be something exotic but it's just a (motored) NOIVEsaw and not even CYERAMIC.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Reciprocating saw. Recip saw.

E: the kind you can attach a dildo to.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

There ain’t a saw you can’t fix a dildo to if you’re brave enough.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

There ain’t a saw you can’t fix a dildo to if you’re brave enough.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you'd have to be really loving brave.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

dr_rat posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you'd have to be really loving brave.

Your mom's saw buzzed the house today

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

From now on, let's all call it "erdogan saw".

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Cocaine Bear posted:

Reciprocating saw. Recip saw.

E: the kind you can attach a dildo to.

They come with 3xlr audio jacks?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Aperture Priority posted:

Sawzall is a Milwaukee brand name where Tiger Saw is a Porter Cable brand name

The saddest Terminator timeline

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

evobatman posted:

The saddest Terminator timeline

Sarah Connor: "There is no fate but what we make. :( "

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

dr_rat posted:

Sarah Connor: "There is no fate but what we make. :( "

You'd think she would have changed her motto given how many terminators kept getting sent back in time to get her and John. I think the last count I saw was something like 34 terminators were sent in total?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Demilich posted:

You'd think she would have changed her motto given how many terminators kept getting sent back in time to get her and John. I think the last count I saw was something like 34 terminators were sent in total?
I'm not sure she ever actually says the whole line, that's more of a John/Kyle thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sarah: There is no fate but...
John: What we make, got it. :runs off:
Sarah: ... I was going to say endless franchise reboots.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdVizZCW3BE

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think that person built the house.

We don't know that. Stick with me here. What would we see if they, for example, would pan right?

*the grover theme song starts playing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Cocaine Bear posted:

Reciprocating saw.

I love mine. it doesn't seem to feel the same way, though