Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

drew mcintyres entire gimmick is based around what happened backstage in aew lol

where is the full list of perfect booking rules and who is following them successfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Even aside from this whole thing, it has kind of crystalised what I think Khan's biggest flaw as a promoter is, and it's basically the same one Vince had, albeit Khan's tastes align more with most of us: He books for himself. Like, he's booking for a theoretical audience that is as online as he is, that watches every show, watches all the ancillary stuff on YouTube, reads Fightful and the Observer and watches a bit of CMLL, Stardom and NJPW as well as some indies. And that's just not the case for every fan watching TBS on a Wednesday night. For folks like people posting here it's not even universally true (how often in the Dynamite GDTs leading up to Forbidden Door do we see someone go "I don't watch New Japan, who dis?" or similar?).

how do so many of you think "i don't know the wrestler who just appeared for the first time" is a problem

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tony must learn to book from the heart

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Guy posting in the shootoff shitpost thread about the secondary wrestling promotion on a paid web forum in 2024: I think I can speak for the interests of the non-online audience

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if i were tony i would do this. give danhausen the belt. call cm punk a cm cuck on live television every night. ritually sacrifice one of the young bucks

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Gaz-L posted:

Even aside from this whole thing, it has kind of crystalised what I think Khan's biggest flaw as a promoter is, and it's basically the same one Vince had, albeit Khan's tastes align more with most of us: He books for himself. Like, he's booking for a theoretical audience that is as online as he is, that watches every show, watches all the ancillary stuff on YouTube, reads Fightful and the Observer and watches a bit of CMLL, Stardom and NJPW as well as some indies. And that's just not the case for every fan watching TBS on a Wednesday night. For folks like people posting here it's not even universally true (how often in the Dynamite GDTs leading up to Forbidden Door do we see someone go "I don't watch New Japan, who dis?" or similar?).

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. I think it's cool that he's booking for a theoretical audience he trusts will Google things and care about dates and wrestling history. It's kinda nice to watch a wrestling show and see something from the perspective of a guy who cares about some of the same things I care about in wrestling and to not feel like the people on screen and behind-the-scenes think the fans are stupid.

Moreover, everyone who has ever wrestled was new to you at some point. When I first started watching, I didn't know who Batista was, or even that Mankind, Cactus Jack, and Mick Foley were all the same guy. But as I got more and more into wrestling, I looked up more stuff and learned more, and it was fun to do that. Other sports have people memorizing the names and stat spreads of huge teams - why can't that same expectation be on wrestling fans? There are so many different ways someone will get into wrestling, whether it's by watching a cool person do a cool move or because they think a guy coming out the an 80s song and wearing sunglasses is funny, or because they see an old episode of Jim Crockett Promotions on YouTube and decide to binge every show from 1987. For the GDT point, it's fun to share knowledge with other people. Nothing good can come from rewarding the incurious by making things less interesting.

I dunno, my old boss was a casual wrestling fan (though less casual than he pretended to be) who only really watched WWE PPVs. I mentioned All In to him and he bought the PPV and was super happy about it the day after, talking about all the cool wrestlers he didn't know and how much he liked the main event (yeah, yeah, I know). All it really took was for a fun, big-time-feeling show to happen and it opened his mind. The only reason he didn't follow up and watch more was because AEW in the US isn't really easily-accessible for replays or even watching live if you don't have cable and you don't want to jump through extra hoops. Accessibility is a much larger barrier to the "casual fan" than not knowing who the wrestlers are.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I watched Penta wrestle in AEW not knowing who he was or why I should care and folks please help me I'm dying here

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is going to be crazy but the first time I watched WWE I had no clue who any of those guys were. For the first year as a fan sometimes new folks would show up and I'd have no clue who they were.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, a lot of folks in this subforum seem to actually believe this.

You're posting in the AEW Hell thread set up specifically because lots of folks in this subforum were annoyed with Tony's booking

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Thinking about wrestling is like dancing about wrestling

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Vince made multiple skits about billionaire ted that had to be stopped because they were getting close to slander what are you talking about dude lol

Vince actively went after Turner/WCW when they were even/WCW was ahead, because, again, you punch up not down. Once WWF got ahead and stayed ahead all of those shots went away. ECW took shots at both WCW/WWF because they were a distant third and the biggest part of their identity was that they were an alternative. WWE never took shots at TNA because TNA was never a real threat; if you don't view someone as direct competition, why mention yourself and them in the same breath?

It goes with what the good Kahn (Nick) has said; they view the other sporting leagues and platforms as their competition in the fight for eyeballs and subscribers, not AEW. HHH takes shots at AEW because he's a smug rear end in a top hat and Punk takes shots because he's a greivence golem but no one else does; if AEW actually did pass WWE in the ratings you'd see that attitude change real fast.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm a firm believer that bookers should have a limited tenure to avoid burnout; get in, run your angles, and then get out and let someone else run the show. I'd say Tony needs someone else to run the ship but given that everyone else is varying degrees of stupid to insane I wouldn't trust them with a book of matches. Jericho-booked AEW would be terrorism, probably literally.

anyway thanks to the great posters of whatever we're calling the forum this week for reading my effortpost, it was a good warmup for World's Strongest Man later this month where I have many more effortposts planned, come hang out with us and click F5 on a spreadsheet together.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

Vince actively went after Turner/WCW when they were even/WCW was ahead, because, again, you punch up not down. Once WWF got ahead and stayed ahead all of those shots went away. ECW took shots at both WCW/WWF because they were a distant third and the biggest part of their identity was that they were an alternative. WWE never took shots at TNA because TNA was never a real threat; if you don't view someone as direct competition, why mention yourself and them in the same breath?

It goes with what the good Kahn (Nick) has said; they view the other sporting leagues and platforms as their competition in the fight for eyeballs and subscribers, not AEW. HHH takes shots at AEW because he's a smug rear end in a top hat and Punk takes shots because he's a greivence golem but no one else does; if AEW actually did pass WWE in the ratings you'd see that attitude change real fast.

I'm a firm believer that bookers should have a limited tenure to avoid burnout; get in, run your angles, and then get out and let someone else run the show. I'd say Tony needs someone else to run the ship but given that everyone else is varying degrees of stupid to insane I wouldn't trust them with a book of matches. Jericho-booked AEW would be terrorism, probably literally.

anyway thanks to the great posters of whatever we're calling the forum this week for reading my effortpost, it was a good warmup for World's Strongest Man later this month where I have many more effortposts planned, come hang out with us and click F5 on a spreadsheet together.

you have no idea what you are talking about

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince mcmahon famous for never punching down

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

RBX posted:

The victim complex is crazy. So when AEW was dunking on them during the 'war" or taking all those shots on TV or every time Tony goes on a coke twitter spree its cool?

motherbox posted:

WWE’s corporate culture is a nightmare.

Airing this video is a terrible idea and runs contrary to AEW’s strength, which is “we’re gonna put on actually good wrestling matches.”

Holding both of these viewpoints simultaneously is impossible and unless you believe a billionaire is very smart for punching up you are a literal rape apologist who loves KSA.

The billionaire with the 'secondary' promotion can have a lil' punch up on the fed, as a treat.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

C. Everett Koop posted:

Once WWF got ahead and stayed ahead all of those shots went away. E

WHAT THE gently caress

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

cant wait to read all your posts about how being a strong man is nothing to do with lifting heavy things and is actually about the most boring poo poo in the world

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The Study ✅

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Pylons posted:

What does this even mean, who is he supposed to book for

People that want wrestling to be 40 minutes of cutscenes and then the slowest boringest matches you've ever seen in your life

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MJeff posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

https://youtu.be/eAoR4h6SQGg?si=jh_-ScpPn4Mh1s5Z

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if twitter existed during the monday night war then vince would have been using it up a storm and hell so would russo and bischoff

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

tony is such a poster he's going to helldump someone that has already been banned

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I watched Penta wrestle in AEW not knowing who he was or why I should care and folks please help me I'm dying here

I got you fam

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

a whole bunch of bullshit

Look I'm just gonna tell you straight - the myth that Vince was this small time business owner that pulled himself up from nothing is bullshit. He's not the little guy. He's never been the little guy. Under no circumstances, do you have to hand it to Vince.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I don't see this as punching up at WWE at all - this is just punching CM Punk back. If it causes Punk to melt down and start drama in WWE, oh well.

Kind of makes Cope's promo look dumb though.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
everything vince has he inherited it from his father who inherited it from his grandfather

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
But the tape, you guys!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TelevisedInsanity posted:

But the tape, you guys!

I know I'm excited - it's gonna be great :D

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

things done out of spite are always the funniest. i am legitimately excited

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

punk tape is real

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

xbilkis posted:

Guy posting in the shootoff shitpost thread about the secondary wrestling promotion on a paid web forum in 2024: I think I can speak for the interests of the non-online audience

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Vince actively went after Turner/WCW when they were even/WCW was ahead, because, again, you punch up not down. Once WWF got ahead and stayed ahead all of those shots went away.

Vince's booking of the invasion and Stings lone Wrestlemania match shows that Vince in fact did not stop taking shots at WCW even when he owned the company

I mean if it's boring and it doesn't lead to increase in business than go ahead and go off on Tony. But it hasn't aired yet and it's got people talking about AEW on one of WWE's biggest nights. It's already done part of it's job

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I’m not into wrestling because I watched my first show and didn’t know who anyone was

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I was watching Star Wars but turned it off in disgust when Darth Vader appeared and they just expected me to know who he was without 6 months of vignettes leading up to the debut

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Goon getting irl emotional about their favourite purveyor of sweaty man grasp soap opera co opting the language of civil rights discourse

Wrestling is stupid and I love it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

TheSwizzler posted:

Wrestling is stupid and I love it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i want to see the backstage tape hell i want to see all the backstage tapes

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I want Punk to retaliate by releasing sad text messages from Tony Khan asking him to hang out

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

TheSwizzler posted:

I want Punk to retaliate by releasing sad text messages from Tony Khan asking him to hang out

:yeshaha:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you may think all of this is petty and stupid and completely pointless for both companies and you would be right but stupid blood feuds that spill over into real life is what makes wrestling the greatest sport in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you may think all of this is petty and stupid and completely pointless for both companies but stupid blood feuds that spill over into real life is what makes wrestling the greatest sport in the world

:hmmyes: