Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I re-learned cursive using 100 year old textbooks, also to write it right handed (I am left handed, now ambidextrous). I think cursive is kinda cool and I see why it was in use, so quick to write with. I now have a quasi-cursive handwriting with my right hand, texting with my left.

e: lol what a snipe, I would give you a cat, but you get my current project instead:

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

My work in clinic admin has got much easier since we went paperless and the clinicians were forced to type their notes up, but whereas previously it would have been hidden by their handwriting, now there is nothing to hide their incomprehensible grammar

Plus ça change

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mrpwase posted:

My work in clinic admin has got much easier since we went paperless and the clinicians were forced to type their notes up, but whereas previously it would have been hidden by their handwriting, now there is nothing to hide their incomprehensible grammar

Plus ça change

Here's a really inside-baseball pet peeve of mine. One of the doctors here, when writing dosage for liquid morphine, will write '2.5-5ml to be given up to every four hours'

Now, I know they mean 'no more often than every four hours' but that isn't what they wrote! They wrote something that implies four hours is the *longest* you should go between doses! Ugh.

And there's one who uses 'dinner' when standard procedure is 'the evening meal' because some people call lunch 'dinner'.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

His Divine Shadow posted:

I re-learned cursive using 100 year old textbooks, also to write it right handed (I am left handed, now ambidextrous). I think cursive is kinda cool and I see why it was in use, so quick to write with. I now have a quasi-cursive handwriting with my right hand, texting with my left.

e: lol what a snipe, I would give you a cat, but you get my current project instead:

what is this?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

but you get my CURRENT project instead:

I see what you did there. :thumbsup:

I switched to just using capital letters all the time, i just make the first letter bigger when a word/sentence requires it. :kiddo:

edit: looks like you are doing a bit of rust removal with electrolysis.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Are you electrocuting a bucket of poo poo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Basically, electrolysis rust removal. The water gets real disgusting.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

HopperUK posted:

Here's a really inside-baseball pet peeve of mine. One of the doctors here, when writing dosage for liquid morphine, will write '2.5-5ml to be given up to every four hours'

Now, I know they mean 'no more often than every four hours' but that isn't what they wrote! They wrote something that implies four hours is the *longest* you should go between doses! Ugh.

And there's one who uses 'dinner' when standard procedure is 'the evening meal' because some people call lunch 'dinner'.

At least in our notes grammar usually isn't that important, it just takes a bit longer to decipher what they mean. But for dosage surely they should be using strict definitions, that's crazy!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Is this what you did to your cat?

Or is this the process by which you are using to create a new cat? Maybe out of Liquid Metal.

A Mew-inator 1000.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just go all the way back and demand your prescriptions be written in textura quadrata

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
used to work in cancer services and organized the weekly MDT where I'd have to type up the incomprehensible scribbles of six urology surgeons

surgeons are meant to be good with their hands!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

electroplating? rust removal?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

found an old cast iron skillet?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nah car parts (brake calipers) needing rescuing, I'll be damned throw them away after only 33 years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKMT Spring 2024 -

The water gets real disgusting.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Microplastics posted:

Are you electrocuting a bucket of poo poo

And is Thames Water hiring?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

'Reform our NHS' is such a sinister phrasing coming from those ghouls.

fuctifino posted:

That's what I thought when I posted the article. Haven't all of our NHS records been digitised since at least the start of the millenium?
I haven't worked for the NHS since 2008, but around that time a lot of the data was digitised in the sense that it was 'on computers,' but it was on seperate, non-interacting systems that were at best copying from each other semireliably, and at worst relying on paper copies and immense data re-entry operations.

So for example you'd go to your GP and they'd request a blood test. The blood test would be stored on the surgery's own system they had purchased, and they'd send the patient / samples up to the hospital with a printout of the form. Pathology would enter that info into our system, print out the results, and mail it back to the surgeries, who would re-enter it onto their system. And each surgery had its own system.

If the nearby private hospital, or any NHS service outside of the hospital wanted to see blood rest results, they'd have to call up and use a password to have it read out to them.

Back then at least, there was no central, national 'NHS database,' primarily because each trust was proudly announcing massive purchases of their own 'central' computer system with multi-decade tenures, and then finding out it was incompatible with (or kept losing data from) pretty much every existing system. And there were a ton of departments that refused to use it, or kept using their own systems and then had a custom pass-through badly translating the records to the trust's system.

Don't get me wrong, this is an example of something in the NHS which (if it hasn't already been changed) does need reform. But it needs careful, well-funded and centralised change, and you simply can't do that when every department, hospital and trust are being run as their own thing, and even worse have the Blairite management college idea of 'competing with each other.'

There are also many privacy concerns and other issues with having one national database that I can't be arsed to get into right now.

This might all have changed now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of one big national database is still being held back by every trust going 'Yes we can have a national database, but it has to be / be compatible with our program.'

There's now national access to repeat prescriptions it seems, because you can access those via the patient access app, but even when I moved house around 2020 I was told by my new GP surgery that I would have to write to my old surgery and get them to post my records on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's now national access to repeat prescriptions it seems, because you can access those via the patient access app, but even when I moved house around 2020 I was told by my new GP surgery that I would have to write to my old surgery and get them to post my records on.
All of mine just got removed at random, and then a couple of random items I hardly use added back but not the regular ones, so I assume that's what national access means.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Don't get me wrong, this is an example of something in the NHS which (if it hasn't already been changed) does need reform. But it needs careful, well-funded and centralised change, and you simply can't do that when every department, hospital and trust are being run as their own thing, and even worse have the Blairite management college idea of 'competing with each other.'

You aren't wrong, but the last Labour lot did try that and it went bang:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28166675/

Massive, centralised IT projects from the Oracles and IBMs of this world have a tendency to fail horribly, it's not even government specific. So not optimistic about this new wheeze either.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

'Reform our NHS' is such a sinister phrasing coming from those ghouls.

I haven't worked for the NHS since 2008, but around that time a lot of the data was digitised in the sense that it was 'on computers,' but it was on seperate, non-interacting systems that were at best copying from each other semireliably, and at worst relying on paper copies and immense data re-entry operations.

The bit in bold was the bulk of my job when I worked in the NHS in the same period. I was in one small department which had two clinical databases, neither of which could fully handle all the required info by themselves and could only 'talk' to each other by exporting and importing via Excel. There was a third database which handled the 18-week pathway data, and then about six months before I left they introduced a fourth database which the Trust had purchased which supposedly did clinical and pathway data...but not in the way my department could use (it was Clinical Genetics, so we had to link records in ways that were verboten in other contexts) so when I left they were back-entering all the patient records onto the new database and triple-entering new records.

In a sensible world the sheer scale of, and resources available to, the NHS really should mean that it has a bespoke single IT and record system, or at least multiple clumps of the same system that can talk to each other when needed. It could be developed, maintained and managed in-house, and possibly even sold to other users.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Our head of IT was part of the NHS when they last tried the centralised database stuff and he has absolute horror stories. It would take decades to get every trust on the same system.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Can't they just import all the databases into a single large spreadsheet?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fuctifino posted:

Can't they just import all the databases into a single large spreadsheet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBoKwArgC3A

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Huge if true???

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

hmm yes, that's true. I know let's put it in a word document instead. we can read it with a Macro

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Angepain posted:

hmm yes, that's true. I know let's put it in a word document instead. we can read it with a Macro

There needs to be redundancy backup, so make sure you print the document on the hour every hour.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres much more experienced IT people in here than me so I'm only posting what the guy at work has told me, and maybe misremembering some of it, but he said in the Dorset Hospitals Trust there was a different system for Bournemouth and Pooles A&E Reception just for logging patients in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

Huge if true???
Do the cockney punk frog and the rural gay gentry frog have a beef? Is Tosh there to catch Bill but gets him mixed up with Wally? Is Supertato the secret identity of the Irish crisp mascot, and if so which Irish crisp mascot?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why not have an actual oracle? Like get someone high as hell and have them read all the records and then you ask them questions.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Weird how the second David Lammy grows a spine Ofcom suddenly launches an investigation into his radio show while studiously ignoring all the tories on GB News.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

feedmegin posted:

You aren't wrong, but the last Labour lot did try that and it went bang:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28166675/

Massive, centralised IT projects from the Oracles and IBMs of this world have a tendency to fail horribly, it's not even government specific. So not optimistic about this new wheeze either.

It will be done, but only because some genocidal AI startup wants to hoover it all up

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Weird how the second David Lammy grows a spine Ofcom suddenly launches an investigation into his radio show while studiously ignoring all the tories on GB News.

The investigation was going to happen, as there was a concerted drive by the fash to get Lammy investigated by OFCOM for reading a news item on his LBC show as retaliation for Jacob Rees-Mogg being investigated for reading news on his GBeebies show. I don't think Lammy erred like JRM, but OFCOM had their arm twisted by the fash writing in and complaining.

I think the investigation will conclude that Lammy did nothing wrong, but the timing and framing of the news is certainly suspicious. Lammy supported the genocide and his recent change in stance is just political posturing, so I don't care either way if he gets hosed over for something he didn't do.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Theres much more experienced IT people in here than me so I'm only posting what the guy at work has told me, and maybe misremembering some of it, but he said in the Dorset Hospitals Trust there was a different system for Bournemouth and Pooles A&E Reception just for logging patients in.
In pathology alone there was the data entry system, there was the system that read the output of the biochem machines, the system that translated that into the input database's format; there was a PC at the back of the office with DO NOT TURN OFF taped to the front that translated results for the four GP surgeries that recieved results digitally; each machine in histopathology had its own pass-through translating stuff to the database and finally, we had 2 or 3 months of absolute chaos when the cerner / fujitsu 'central' system came in and our database needed a pass-through to translate everything onto that.

I apologise to the thread's computer touchers for what I just made them envision.

I briefly worked for the wheelchair service and even that had its own custom database that absolutely would not play ball with the physio's systems.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Czech Republic has a decent centralised health records system, but it did take like 12 years to work out all the kinks and more importantly the fact that all hospitals are managed by the government on a county level helps a lot with getting every hospital on board.

The only reason I know about it is that my dad spent half of his life working on it, it just kindof works and is pretty good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Estonia is often the example brought up here as the gold standard for a computer system.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like their ID cards that you can actually use to do useful things, like securely sign emails, rather than just being held over everyone as a threat.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

Do the cockney punk frog and the rural gay gentry frog have a beef? Is Tosh there to catch Bill but gets him mixed up with Wally? Is Supertato the secret identity of the Irish crisp mascot, and if so which Irish crisp mascot?

the Free Stayto one

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kecske posted:

the Free Stayto one

Both Ulster Tayto and Freestayto are called Supertato.

But they each live in a separate universe. Sort of like how Jay Garrick and Barry Allen both used to be the Flash.

Imagine the cover to "The Flash of Two Worlds" but it's a guy desperate for a pack of Crisps, and both Supertato are running towards him to provide him with a snack.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 8, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I like their ID cards that you can actually use to do useful things, like securely sign emails, rather than just being held over everyone as a threat.

Poorer and less advanced countries have biometrically linked ID cards which are used to verify your identity for govt and bank transactions.

None of this carrying around leccy bills nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet they don't even poo poo directly in the rivers.