Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The guy in question in my game was someone who took the DM having an NPC tell them no gently as some kind of personal attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

dwarf74 posted:

rpg counseling session after every game.

Oof, yeah, this poo poo sucks. I was in a similar situation as a player over a fair chunk of last year as another player got increasingly obviously unsatisfied with the game we were in and kept wanting me to sit there and listen for an hour or two afterward as he rehashed his problems again and again and again. The GM wasn't perfect and I was a latecomer to the group so I didn't really feel appropriate challenging him too much over it since he was there from the start, except for the general "talk to the GM, maybe work stuff out to address your concerns" sort of advice, and spitballing some stuff he could do in-game that sounded like what he wanted. The climax came less than a week before Christmas when he expected everyone to drop everything and address his complaints, and was incensed that everyone else was just busy and exhausted.

People who demand that are so loving tiring.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The second Lodoss War replay book got translated

https://archive.org/details/comptiq-magazine-record-of-lodoss-war-2/page/n3/mode/2up

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

The guy in question in my game was someone who took the DM having an NPC tell them no gently as some kind of personal attack.
Yeah. I was totally expecting his dude would get killed off when he wandered off on his own. It didn't happen. I am 90%+ convinced he would have gotten very upset at that if that had actually happened.

disposablewords posted:

Oof, yeah, this poo poo sucks. I was in a similar situation as a player over a fair chunk of last year as another player got increasingly obviously unsatisfied with the game we were in and kept wanting me to sit there and listen for an hour or two afterward as he rehashed his problems again and again and again. The GM wasn't perfect and I was a latecomer to the group so I didn't really feel appropriate challenging him too much over it since he was there from the start, except for the general "talk to the GM, maybe work stuff out to address your concerns" sort of advice, and spitballing some stuff he could do in-game that sounded like what he wanted. The climax came less than a week before Christmas when he expected everyone to drop everything and address his complaints, and was incensed that everyone else was just busy and exhausted.

People who demand that are so loving tiring.
Yeah. Ultimately... yeah. I took it very much to heart the first time it happened. The second, I was pissed but figured it was less me and more him at that point - and that it would be impossible to please him plus the rest of the table. And that I just could not have a third fourth fifth etc conversation like that.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

This owns. Thanks!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah. I was totally expecting his dude would get killed off when he wandered off on his own. It didn't happen. I am 90%+ convinced he would have gotten very upset at that if that had actually happened.

Yeah. Ultimately... yeah. I took it very much to heart the first time it happened. The second, I was pissed but figured it was less me and more him at that point - and that it would be impossible to please him plus the rest of the table. And that I just could not have a third fourth fifth etc conversation like that.

It sucks to even have to have had a second conversation. Couldn't see why bailing without a word was lovely and couldn't comprehend that it was a team game. What a mess.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PuttyKnife posted:

This owns. Thanks!

I swear to god I posted the first one on this thread too but can't find it either

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Plutonis posted:

I swear to god I posted the first one on this thread too but can't find it either

If you scroll down on the archive post, it’s linked.

Here: https://archive.org/details/record-of-lodoss-war-comptiq-magazine-english-translation

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Magazines: The Original Podcasts?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Magazines: The Original Podcasts?

I do wonder why replays and novelizations of those weren't a thing on western tabletop mags.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Plutonis posted:

I do wonder why replays and novelizations of those weren't a thing on western tabletop mags.

Weren't a bunch of the official books based on the authors' campaigns? Ed Greenwood's self-insert powerful wizard character was surely his PC?

Plus, maybe, the tradition of Light Novels aided it - western pulps are probably the equivalent and had largely burned out by the time D&D got popular.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Weren't the Dragonlance novels basically replays of Weis & Hickman's home game?

...at least the first one or two anyway, until the novels kinda overtook the tabletop campaign

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The original Dragonlance Campaign let you play the same scenarios as the original novel trilogy but I'm unsure which came first. But Dragonlance has always been a fiction heavy campaign setting. I don't think Weis or Hickman had a home game.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

The original Dragonlance Campaign let you play the same scenarios as the original novel trilogy but I'm unsure which came first. But Dragonlance has always been a fiction heavy campaign setting. I don't think Weis or Hickman had a home game.

Entirely possible I'm misremembering and the novels were just a tie-in to the published campaign (or possibly vice versa, or possibly started as one then turned into the other as the books overtook the campaign). I swear I remember hearing that Raistlin's whole deal was because his player rolled a really poo poo constitution score when they made the character and roleplayed it well, though

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Weren't the Dragonlance novels basically replays of Weis & Hickman's home game?

...at least the first one or two anyway, until the novels kinda overtook the tabletop campaign

I'm quite sure all the main characters of the first books were PCs in their home campaign.

-------

Searching around, I think it went like this:
1) idea for the setting to be published.
2) home campaign testing the setting.
3) later, books based on that campaign.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 7, 2024

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They didn't even know each other before working on it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There may have been a home campaign, but it didn't belong to Weis and Hickman. They're authors, not dungeon masters.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

There may have been a home campaign, but it didn't belong to Weis and Hickman. They're authors, not dungeon masters.

There was 100% a home campaign, run using the modules, or what became them. It's noted in the original afterword of the first dragonlance book that Raistlin's voice is as it is in the books because that's the voice the player gave them. Weis and Hickman were likely players, not the ones running it, though.

edit: I am actually incorrect, Weis and Hickman also wrote the modules, as a campaign. Then they ran them and novelized them. Terry Phillips was Raistlin's player, and was responsible for both the voice and the caustic wit, such as it was, and constant sarcasm.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

One funny bit about the DL translation from home campaign to module is that Raistlin’s Constitution got boosted to 10 - average, but not at level of “consumptive Victorian orphan”, i.e. how Raistlin is usually depicted.

It’s because the modules get insanely protective of the pregen Heroes (to the point that GMs are specifically told to use any excuse to keeps PCs alive and active outside of climactic battles). They didn’t want the HP penalties of low Con to put the mage at risk of getting murked before the end of Act 1.

I sort of understand, but it seems a shame to make a module about a prewritten story without allowing players at their table to diverge wildly from the narrative.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 9, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Gatto Grigio posted:

I sort of understand, but it seems a shame to make a module about a prewritten story without allowing players at their table to diverge wildly from the narrative.

Welcome to rpg writing circa 1985-2016 or whenever it finally takes people to give up on the idea of metaplot. Would you like a wod or l5r followup

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gatto Grigio posted:

That’s a big part of why Dragonlance is so hated in “old-school” circles. (That, and the shift in inspirations from pulp fantasy with some Tolkien elements to Tolkien through the lens of Terry Brooks. Arguably these are related; the assumption that PCs should be Heroes Saving the World tends to push module writers towards more linear narrative structures.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Welcome to rpg writing circa 1985-2016 or whenever it finally takes people to give up on the idea of metaplot. Would you like a wod or l5r followup

I would say people have mostly given up on the idea of metaplot by now. I guess Pathfinder still has a watered-down form of it, but I can’t think of a current game that imitates the excesses of oWoD or 7th Sea 1e. D&D 5e still has Elminster and Drizzt, but there’s no real metaplot because WotC has become too lazy to supplement treadmill properly.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Silver2195 posted:

I would say people have mostly given up on the idea of metaplot by now. I guess Pathfinder still has a watered-down form of it, but I can’t think of a current game that imitates the excesses of oWoD or 7th Sea 1e. D&D 5e still has Elminster and Drizzt, but there’s no real metaplot because WotC has become too lazy to supplement treadmill properly.

Depends on how big and how current of a game you're looking for - as documented at length over in F&F, Degenesis was still doing old WoD style hard railroad metaplot as late as 2018 or so. That's the last of the "big" projects I can think of offhand that did it, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Speaking of the Fatal & Friends writeups, I’m reading the one on Wizards Presents: Races and Classes, and it’s remarkable how insistent the 4e designers were on making playable races conventionally attractive-looking. It’s overt to a degree that would definitely cause some controversy if it was written today. For example, we’re told that female dwarves are “strong, sensual, earthy, and feminine, with an exotic beauty that no one would think to splash a beard on,” and that male elves are “not effeminate.”

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
kind of funny when you go and look how it actually turned out

"male elf, not effeminate"

"got it, elf with male pattern balding"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
We must return the one ring to the fires of Mt Doom where it was birthed, Mr. Anderson.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man that really reads like someone had a chip on their shoulder about some old stereotype jokes.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My "male elf, not effeminate" character sheet is raising some questions already answered on my character sheet

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Melf N'Feminate is my new Greyhawk revival character

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

"Splash a beard" definitely sounds like something you'd hear more in the Dwarven gay scene anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

write a one sentence tragedy challenge (fantasy edition)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Male elf? Not! Effeminate!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
They're like hyenas

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Post him

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Runa posted:

write a one sentence tragedy challenge (fantasy edition)

"LFG: kender rogue."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's a widow's peak, totally different!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

You're gonna have to be more specific, this is just two elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Pam: “They’re the same picture.”