Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

willroc7 posted:

Does anyone have a link handy to a summary of the most up to date findings for long covid treatments? I haven't been able to follow the thread in a while and I don't see anything in the past few pages. I found out yesterday a neighbor of mine is suffering from it (likely from an asymptomatic infection) and I'd like to help out, if i could. Thanks in advance all. Stay safe.

Not an precise checklist of treatments per se, but the current Australian education for allied health is to follow similar treatment/exercise protocols for ME/CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome). Keep in mind the Australian approach is NOT the same as UK or North American attitudes on CFS!. Our knowledge & treatment of ME/CFS is still very limited & poor, but Australia is much more on the ball compared to other countries.

The Victorian government page, which also covers Long Covid is a good overview & talks about how physical exhaustion can be very different for different people. Emerge is a good Aussie advocacy resource, which also covers Long Covid links & how to explain ME/CFS symptoms to others.

I'll quote part of my original post: We were taught the "Letter/Envelope Theory" basically, at the start of the week, a ME/CFS patient has only a limited amount of endurance (cash in a letter) that they have to use for the entire week, and this encompasses all forms of physical activity (daily chores like shopping, cleaning) and exercise (structured planned workouts). If you do a fair amount of physical activity for daily tasks or do a hard workout in one day, that'll use up most of the money in the letter, which you then have to live off for the rest of the week.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

We have the tools

https://twitter.com/RE_MarketWatch/status/1777161605790249412

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Today is the day that the solar eclipse activates the vaccine. :powercatte:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

thank you smokie bear for following the science

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Opening the toolbox to find only MAID

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

update on estimated death count of covid from noted left-wing rag The Economist, brought to you by S-tier nominative determinism twitter poster Dr. Dick Zoutman:

https://twitter.com/DickZoutman/status/1753147638755561636

tl;dr is an estimate of ~ 28.5M dead worldwide (95% CI 18.5, 35.2), or ~ 4x the official count. and an estimated 1.4M dead in the US (95% CI 1.3, 1.5).

It's as prone to error from bad data/inputs as any other attempt, but they do show their work w/r/t methodology and modeling, and you can grab the data and the model(s) off of GitHub.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Well it's more prone to being Published October 25, 2022?

Easily 40m and 1.75m now by their methodology alone.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

captainbananas posted:

update on estimated death count of covid from noted left-wing rag The Economist, brought to you by S-tier nominative determinism twitter poster Dr. Dick Zoutman:

https://twitter.com/DickZoutman/status/1753147638755561636

tl;dr is an estimate of ~ 28.5M dead worldwide (95% CI 18.5, 35.2), or ~ 4x the official count. and an estimated 1.4M dead in the US (95% CI 1.3, 1.5).

It's as prone to error from bad data/inputs as any other attempt, but they do show their work w/r/t methodology and modeling, and you can grab the data and the model(s) off of GitHub.

Dick Zout for the fallen.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Nothus posted:

Opening the toolbox to find only MAID

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Well it's more prone to being Published October 25, 2022?

Easily 40m and 1.75m now by their methodology alone.
"Updated on April 8th"
Their updated data is through the end of January 2024.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Computer ... Show me 4 bad takes as succinctly as possible

https://twitter.com/TomatoesGrilled/status/1777325518817312792

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

See what you sound like, Zeynep.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Phlag posted:

"Updated on April 8th"
Their updated data is through the end of January 2024.

economist subscription haver spotted

(I didn't bother to go to archive for this one)

anyway even their poo poo should be understood as a tremendous undercount

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

No sub necessary to see their COVID estimates project; I would never bother with one either

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crazypoops posted:

and fire this summer

Not in California, at least. I've got enough moss growing outside my house I'm gonna have to rent a pressure washer, gonna have to climb up on the roof and brush even more off the roof

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The confidence intervals in that Economist article on COVID death toll estimates are way too large for China at least. China's overall disease burden was likely very similar to Australia's/New Zealand's, given they largely eliminated community spread until the large majority of the population was vaccinated (then stopped for surprisingly similar reasons):

The main estimates are in fact close but the confidence intervals suggest China's death toll could have been double Australia's which is not realistic IMO.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nocturtle posted:

The confidence intervals in that Economist article on COVID death toll estimates are way too large for China at least. China's overall disease burden was likely very similar to Australia's/New Zealand's, given they largely eliminated community spread until the large majority of the population was vaccinated (then stopped for surprisingly similar reasons):

The main estimates are in fact close but the confidence intervals suggest China's death toll could have been double Australia's which is not realistic IMO.

Why not? China has the 38x total population of Australia. Having double the death rate of Australia make sense to me

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

Why not? China has the 38x total population of Australia. Having double the death rate of Australia make sense to me

why would the population size influence the rate in your analysis

(I mean, I could make some inferences and very clear defensible stuff about failure of healthcare systems and thresholds being surpassed for critical care but... it's just a rate)

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Apr 8, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

why would the population size influence the rate in your analysis

The more people there are, there will be more people with Covid. The more people with Covid, the more deaths you will have.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

The more people there are, there will be more people with Covid. The more people with Covid, the more deaths you will have.

To be clear, nocturtle is talking about a RATE which is a deaths per 100k population figure, the nominal size of the population is irrelevant

I absolutely agree that it's likely far more Chinese people died than Australian people, but the rate in one developed country being twice what it was elsewhere sticks out

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Apr 8, 2024

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

9 views 0 likes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

:thunk:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I believe China has a huge proportion of elderly in its population compared to Australia and for whatever reason a lot of them refused the vaccine and cultural norms (respecting your elders) prevented forcing the issue.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

To be clear, nocturtle is talking about a RATE which is a deaths per 100k population figure, the nominal size of the population is irrelevant

Oh sorry right, I was wrong

Edit: wait I was right for the wrong reason?

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 17:29 on Apr 8, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Oracle posted:

I believe China has a huge proportion of elderly in its population compared to Australia and for whatever reason a lot of them refused the vaccine and cultural norms (respecting your elders) prevented forcing the issue.

Yup, totally. so I'm not entirely sure that the Chinese death rate being twice as high as the Aussie one is completely off-base!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i will still avoid vigorous exercise just in case I end up with long covid. got to be careful.
No need to avoid exercise with long-COVID diagnosis, researchers say

www.cidrap.umn.edu posted:

Recommendations that people with long COVID, or post-COVID condition (PCC), should avoid vigorous exercise are probably too strict, according to a new study published in JAMA Network Open from researchers at the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden.

Many long-COVID patients are told to avoid activities that exacerbate symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, and pain, and many report exercise intolerance, or a "flare" in symptoms following exercise. 

The study was based on 31 patients with PCC but no other diagnoses. They were matched with healthy controls and monitored while performing three different training sessions of high-intensity interval training (HIIT), moderate-intensity continuous training, and strength training in a randomized order a few weeks apart. 

Seventy-seven percent of the participants with long COVID were women, and the average age was 46.6 years.

Participants were asked to rate symptoms at baseline, immediately after exercise, and 48 hours after exercise. The researchers also gave participants blood tests, heart ultrasound, spirometry for lung function, muscle strength tests, neurophysiologic tests, and muscle biopsies within 2 days of the exercise tests.

### No difference in fatigue levels 

Surprisingly, there were no differences in the two groups on self-ratings of fatigue. Patients with PCC had greater exacerbation of muscle pain after HIIT, however.

"What we can generally see is that the post-COVID patients do just as well as the controls, even though they had more symptoms to begin with. By equally well, I mean that they did not worsen their symptoms or negatively affect their body during the 48 hours we observed them," said Andrea Tryfonos, PhD, first author of the study, in a press release from the Karolinska Institutet.

quote:

What we can generally see is that the post-COVID patients do just as well as the controls, even though they had more symptoms to begin with.

In physical testing, participants with long COVID  had a 21% lower peak volume of oxygen consumption at baseline (mean difference, −6.8 milliliters/kilogram/minute; 95% confidence interval, −10.7 to −2.9). Patients with long COVID also displayed less isometric knee-extension strength than healthy controls.

The authors said the lower aerobic capacity and lack of muscle strength compared with controls could be due to inactivity or their initial infection. However, 62% of those with long COVID in the study showed evidence of myopathy, which limits muscle tissue capacity. 

"This percentage is far too high to be explained by reduced activity alone. Therefore, we are currently analyzing the biopsies to see if we can explain the reason behind these muscle changes," Tryfonos said. 

In a commentary on the study, Peter Ladlow, PhD; Alexander Bennett, PhD; and Oliver O’Sullivan, MBChB; all United Kingdom-based researchers, said the findings are reassuring and should help guide clinicians treating post-COVID patients. 

"The ability of individuals with PCC to tolerate various exercise activities, particularly hard-intensity activities … without major escalation of symptoms, fatigue, or exercise capacity is important for advancing rehabilitation," they write.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

i will still avoid vigorous exercise just in case I end up with long covid. got to be careful.

quote:

The authors said the lower aerobic capacity and lack of muscle strength compared with controls could be due to inactivity or their initial infection. However, 62% of those with long COVID in the study showed evidence of myopathy, which limits muscle tissue capacity.

"This percentage is far too high to be explained by reduced activity alone. Therefore, we are currently analyzing the biopsies to see if we can explain the reason behind these muscle changes," Tryfonos said.

In a commentary on the study, Peter Ladlow, PhD; Alexander Bennett, PhD; and Oliver O’Sullivan, MBChB; all United Kingdom-based researchers, said the findings are reassuring and should help guide clinicians treating post-COVID patients.

im sorry what

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

it means you are too lazy and out of shape if the prescribed CBT tires you out

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
China used less effective domestic vaccines, rolled them out really slowly and poorly, and has America-tier healthcare coverage for people without money. It was so bad from a resource perspective, the government started actively promoting a TCM quack-science "cure" so hard that it became the go to remedy for most people.

I don't know what the exact multiplier for China's death rate over death rate in (say) Australia or Japan is, but I definitely buy the notion that it's higher.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Franks Happy Place posted:

China used less effective domestic vaccines, rolled them out really slowly and poorly, and has America-tier healthcare coverage for people without money. It was so bad from a resource perspective, the government started actively promoting a TCM quack-science "cure" so hard that it became the go to remedy for most people.

I don't know what the exact multiplier for China's death rate over death rate in (say) Australia or Japan is, but I definitely buy the notion that it's higher.

Nah, they didn't roll them out slowly compared to the US, that's nonsense. The relevant time frame is relative to national covid waves and in that frame they were much faster.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Apr 8, 2024

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
62% with myopathy is not reassuring.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

mawarannahr posted:

quote:

Surprisingly, there were no differences in the two groups on self-ratings of fatigue. Patients with PCC had greater exacerbation of muscle pain after HIIT, however.

"What we can generally see is that the post-COVID patients do just as well as the controls, even though they had more symptoms to begin with. By equally well, I mean that they did not worsen their symptoms or negatively affect their body during the 48 hours we observed them," said Andrea Tryfonos, PhD, first author of the study, in a press release from the Karolinska Institutet.
uh

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

They didn't die, so that's a huge success! 👍

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lmao that's not what "equally well" means, what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mawarannahr posted:

(..)
Surprisingly, there were no differences in the two groups on self-ratings of fatigue.
(..)

Well, that is certainly one way to interpret these results:

As a reminder this is VAS:

Skimming the study they are saying that there is (analogously, as the chart applies to pain and not fatigue) no difference in fatigue, because moving from "no hurt" to "hurts a little bit", is the same as moving from "moderate pain" to "very intense/severe pain" in points.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

I read this a while ago and thought it was worthwhile but didn't like it enough to recommend it to others. It certainly has a lot of good content and effectively argues that criminalizing disease transmission is just another stick with which to beat the underclasses, same as the drug war. I think this point might be controversial even here. I didn't particularly enjoy their writing style and found the author took too long to make points, in part due to the very personal nature of the writing. For this reason I found Necropolis a much more interesting read.

"Pandemics: a very short introduction" is IMO also very good in part because it provides a broad and to the point overview of pandemics throughout history. Sometimes people talk about how we used to prioritize public health and that's wrong, public health has always been subservient to economic concerns and ruling class interests. The author points out that public health measures past and present tend to be dominated by technical interventions ie vaccines/antibiotics/killing insects, and the underlying social arrangements that lead to underclasses being most vulnerable to pandemics are rarely/never addressed. Also interesting to read people from over a century ago essentially arguing that cholera is mild and doesn't require any sort of mitigation.

edit: definitely agree these books are very helpful towards understanding the COVID pandemic and other perennial public health issues. Haven't read Health Communism but will look into it.

His argument against criminalizing transmission made me uncomfortable because IMO knowingly infecting people is extremely lovely and should have consequences, but I also can't argue against his point that these laws get inevitably selectively enforced, and throwing people into prisons where there's unmitigated spread of everything is hosed up and doesn't actually help prevent disease spread.
I'm looking at info about "Pandemics: A Very Short Introduction", and I see that a second edition is releasing in June. Makes sense, if I released a book about pandemics 3 years before an actual pandemic started I'd feel obligated to update things lol

tuyop posted:

great review, I did check this book out briefly before going with Maladies of Empire, which was also good but less applicable to the thread.

in fiction, I think The Metamorphosis is a great thread book.

ty, more to add to my reading list :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pingui posted:

Well, that is certainly one way to interpret these results:

As a reminder this is VAS:

Skimming the study they are saying that there is (analogously, as the chart applies to pain and not fatigue) no difference in fatigue, because moving from "no hurt" to "hurts a little bit", is the same as moving from "moderate pain" to "very intense/severe pain" in points.

The complaint about post covid syndrome has never really been centered around pain. Its mostly centered around fatigue and stroke concerns and that... that reflects it almost perfect when you look at the fatigue sections.

what the christ