Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think that's fraudulent, they've shown it recognizing the traffic cops pretty well years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OopTOjnD3qY

How well this specifically works I've no idea, though it seems that overall their system operates reasonably decently and safely.

Those are graphics mock ups they do to fool people into thinking the “ai” works . The car doesn’t see that. Cars don’t see.

Tesla does the same thing.

NB: I didn’t click on the YouTube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Whatever happened to Elon fronting money to Gina Carano for her wrongful termination lawsuit against Star Wars? That poo poo was hilarious but I haven’t heard anything about it since. Did the suit even get filed? just lmao at the whole stupid thing

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

euphronius posted:

Those are graphics mock ups they do to fool people into thinking the “ai” works . The car doesn’t see that. Cars don’t see.

no, pretty sure it works like this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hazo posted:

Whatever happened to Elon fronting money to Gina Carano for her wrongful termination lawsuit against Star Wars? That poo poo was hilarious but I haven’t heard anything about it since. Did the suit even get filed? just lmao at the whole stupid thing

Disney was forced to declare her the best actress of all time and cancel the Star Wars franchise due to wokeness, I can't believe you missed it

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Hazo posted:

If she even seriously attempted to file the suit I imagine "Force Disney to rehire me after deciding not to renew my contract" made it about as far in the civil case system as you'd expect.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

It was filed in federal court back in Feb. No updates, but in order to show she was discriminated against, she needs to show she's a part of a protected class in CA (being Republican is not a protected class). Here's the first two paragraphs from the lawsuit (no, I'm not joking. This is real)

quote:

A short time ago in a galaxy not so far away, Defendants made it clear that only one orthodoxy in thought, speech, or action was acceptable in their empire, and that those who dared to question or failed to fully comply would not be tolerated. And so it was with Carano. After two highly acclaimed seasons on The Mandalorian as Rebel ranger Cara Dune, Carano was terminated from her role as swiftly as her character’s peaceful home planet of Alderaan had been destroyed by the Death Star in an earlier Star Wars film. And all this because she dared voice her own opinions, on social media platforms and elsewhere, and stood up to the online bully mob who demanded her compliance with their extreme progressive ideology.

Defendants’ wrath over their employees’ social media posts also differed depending on sex. Even though “the Force is female,” Defendants chose to target a woman while looking the other way when it came to men. While Carano was fired, Defendants took no action against male actors who took equally or more vigorous and controversial positions on social media.
has Musk all loving over it, his other lawsuit that was recently dismissed had the same tenor of idiocy

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

euphronius posted:

See this is the thing that infuriates me about Tesla's "full self driving" or whatever they call it. It's just completely poisoned any sort of discussion of actual self-driving systems that will actually save lives.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rosalind posted:

It's just completely poisoned any sort of discussion of actual self-driving systems that will actually save lives.

I don’t see how that is remotely possible ever but ok . I do see your point though that Tesla is so bad every other AI grift has to work from under teslas shadow . That is true

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

euphronius posted:

I don’t see how that is remotely possible ever but ok . I do see your point though that Tesla is so bad every other AI grift has to work from under teslas shadow . That is true

I wrote this in this very thread in October:

Rosalind posted:

Getting into a car is by far the most dangerous activity that the average American engages in every day. The statistical risks of human-operated vehicles are staggering--100 Americans die and 7,500 are injured every single day from motor vehicle crashes. The statistical likelihood of being in such an accident increases significantly with drinking (as has been mentioned) but also with distracted driving or driving while tired. A tired or distracted driver is, on average, as dangerous as a drunk one.

You may protest that you do not do these things. You're a perfect driver--you've never even had a fender bender. But I ask how many bad drivers do you see every single day? I can tell you as someone who did a lot of driving recently there are a lot of bad drivers out there on the road. These people are unsafe and they make you less safe. Even a perfect human driver cannot react to every possible scenario.

We are on the cusp of having the technology to drastically reduce the dangers of driving. Non-Tesla autonomous driving systems such as Waymo, Pony, etc. are already likely safer drivers than humans on average in many scenarios. These systems do not get distracted or tired. They don't hesitate in uncertain situations. Using lidar, radar, and other systems, they have a complete 360 degree view of the road. They have better response times than even professional race car drivers.

Getting these systems into cars will save lives. Every drunk, tired, or distracted driver they remove from the road is a statistical hazard averted.

And yes these systems are not perfect. I know there are lots of edge cases where you can confuse the cars using a traffic cone placed directly in front of it and there are all sorts of questions around legal liability when one of these systems does in fact cause an accident which will still happen. These are things we can solve though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

TheAgent posted:

It was filed in federal court back in Feb. No updates, but in order to show she was discriminated against, she needs to show she's a part of a protected class in CA (being Republican is not a protected class). Here's the first two paragraphs from the lawsuit (no, I'm not joking. This is real)

has Musk all loving over it, his other lawsuit that was recently dismissed had the same tenor of idiocy

Grok, wrote a spicy legal opener in Carano v. Disney

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Put a banana in the tailpipe

I believe all Teslas are immune to this, though? No tailpipe.

I'm not sure whether they slip out Mario Kart style if you throw banana in front of them.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

WhyteRyce posted:

It's hilarious how the world's smartest man isn't able to understand that you can physically cram more people into a train or bus than a bunch of cars

yes but have you considered some of those people might be poors? Imagine being in the same physical space with someone who isn't a billionaire, or even a common millionaire!

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Self driving cars are never going to work. Endless amounts of money will be poured into systems that constantly kill peoples because the allure of eliminating workers is too strong.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"dared voice her own opinions"

What opinions?

WHAT OPINIONS MOTHERFUCKER

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Wow nice Not enough true good drivers fallacy

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The US' traffic fatality rate has been increasing an awful lot, but it seems like most other countries have figured out how to reduce traffic deaths without leaning on unreliable new technology.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

"dared voice her own opinions"

What opinions?

WHAT OPINIONS MOTHERFUCKER
it even gets into that a little and lol

quote:

Pascal was active on social media, often expressing his view on the Black Lives Matter movement, LGBTQ+ rights, protests for abortion rights, and the 2020 election.

On June 27, 2020, Pascal posted two Disney-owned Muppet characters, Bert and Ernie, as activists waving a transgender and LGBTQ+ pride flag and promoting “Black Lives Matter” and “Defund the Police.”

Upon information and belief, Pascal was not disciplined, required to review documentaries on any of these topics or speak to individuals with contrary points of view, or pressured to apologize for any of his posts. His employment was not terminated, and Defendants made no public statements about his social media posts, much less refer to them as “abhorrent.”
and gently caress yeah luke

quote:

Hamill has gone so far as to compare President Trump to The Third Reich without a word of protest from Defendants.

huh opposite points of view from accepting LGBTQ people? what could those be I wonder?

the whole lawsuit is basically "how come I can't say racial slurs and hate gay/trans people? also covid was a hoax"

I'm trying to find a non-paywalled source so y'all can read the whole thing, its a loving lol

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 8, 2024

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I guess Optimus first real life function will be to clean these filthy robotaxis because even if the FSD works (lol) I shudder at basically millions of unattended subway cars driving around the city

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Contrary points of view, such as "Black lives don't matter"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

He's doing a softball interview

lol spaces broke

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
da comrade

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sure robuttaxis will perfectly deal with rush hour no problems whatsoever. :downs:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol quality products

Kale
May 14, 2010

shyduck posted:

Interesting date you picked there

Is that the 14th hour of that day by chance?

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Every statement about mars is so unserious. Oh yeah we’re gonna land on mars in 5 years and then 10000! for 20 years after than and then we’re gonna build a base where my friends and I will live and take over other planets for humanity.

It sounds like an 8 year olds essay.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

"Ever" is a long time. I'm also skeptical of anything scaling to all driving conditions any time soon, especially Tesla's crippled system, but it doesn't mean everything is a grift or scam. Waymo's been working on it before the whole "AI" became a buzzword, and machine vision and object recognition aren't some voodoo that needs to be faked. It works pretty well. Like you can do it yourself on your computer if you want to. Since you won't click on a link showing how it works, this is from an older nvidia demo:

The system recognizes the objects, where the are in space, and can then reconstructs the the world in 3d space from this information. It can then draw a cleaned up representation of its understanding of the surroundings, which is what you're seeing.

I'm not going to make any claims that this is sufficient for full self driving or anything, but this part doesn't have to be faked, it's something we can do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

"Ever" is a long time. I'm also skeptical of anything scaling to all driving conditions any time soon, especially Tesla's crippled system, but it doesn't mean everything is a grift or scam. Waymo's been working on it before the whole "AI" became a buzzword, and machine vision and object recognition aren't some voodoo that needs to be faked. It works pretty well. Like you can do it yourself on your computer if you want to. Since you won't click on a link showing how it works, this is from an older nvidia demo:

The system recognizes the objects, where the are in space, and can then reconstructs the the world in 3d space from this information. It can then draw a cleaned up representation of its understanding of the surroundings, which is what you're seeing.

I'm not going to make any claims that this is sufficient for full self driving or anything, but this part doesn't have to be faked, it's something we can do.

You are claiming it can do this instantly or nearly instantly in novel environments. I am not gain-saying you, just trying to understand your claim

Also lol at the nvidia image tag

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
is that ai ranking how sexy those pedestrians are??

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

My Spirit Otter posted:

is that ai ranking how sexy those pedestrians are??

Trolley problem solution. Run over the uggos.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The problem with self driving is that most other vehicles are not self driving, and many are driven by insane assholes who break traffic laws. The solution is to mandate only self driving cars be allowed on roads.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You have a passenger seat don't you? "Miata is always the answer"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

boethius posted:

So the guy worth 0 points is the lead dev?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Cool Dad posted:

The problem with self driving is that most other vehicles are not self driving, and many are driven by insane assholes who break traffic laws. The solution is to mandate only self driving cars be allowed on roads.

lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

@alexandre is the handle for that Brazilian judge

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

boethius posted:

If you let the trolley go on, only one uggo will die. But if you switch the tracks, three uggos and two hotties will die. Do you switch the tracks?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If you let the trolley go on, only one uggo will die. But if you switch the tracks, two uggos and three hotties will die. Do you switch the tracks?

do i have a chance with the hotties??

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Survival of the hottest

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If you let the trolley go on, only one uggo will die. But if you switch the tracks, three uggos and two hotties will die. Do you switch the tracks?

am I the uggo on the first track or the uggo on the second track? please respond soon, very important

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

So 1.3 launches a day to do it in 20 years and 10000 launches. Minimum of 546 starships needed for this. Assuming you mean 20 years in 5 years time which he probably doesn't.

stfu you space cadet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

kazil posted:

am I the uggo on the first track or the uggo on the second track? please respond soon, very important

you and me are the uggos on the switch, and we might be able to score with some babes if we dont kill them