Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The trickster augment for finding treasure and seeker tokens is useful but also kind of annoying. It really, really, should just ping them on the mini map because that clicking noise is not only super annoying, but it doesn't really give a poo poo about distance or height or anything. I was going insane trying to find the loud clicking sound on the first floor of the border town vocation guild, only for the sound to get quieter on the second floor, and even quieter still on the roof. Then after some exploring I saw the token on a broken archway like twenty feet behind and above the building entirely. The flashing light is far less noticable than the fog effect that most of the tokens give off, and the fact that it makes the exact same noise and flash if it's just pointing out a treasure chest is really agitating. I got the achievement for 80 though, and that's what matters.

Also, much like trickster, I'm just punching my way through mage. At least for any area that doesn't have a near infinite number of rattlers, which is rapidly becoming most areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Rattlers ill like ice, Arisen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lmao what the gently caress is this?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Rattlers ill like ice, Arisen.

Lightning seems to gently caress them up good too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

accommodating for the fact that you can have a thick ribcage and/or plump buttox that might otherwise clip through longer capes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
With all the chat about augments I'm second guessing my warrior pawn build. Any opinions on skills or augs I should include?

Do I really need to get that Sorceror knockdown resist augment? I'd hate to switch and suddenly my pawn's a low level sorc for a while (I'll probably do that in the postgame if I do it)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

accommodating for the fact that you can have a thick ribcage and/or plump buttox that might otherwise clip through longer capes

I guess I'll have to get an Art of Metamorphosis and try to play with the sliders to see what's making those pauldrons all hosed up.
At least you can see the armor in the character creator.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The trickster augment for finding treasure and seeker tokens is useful but also kind of annoying. It really, really, should just ping them on the mini map because that clicking noise is not only super annoying, but it doesn't really give a poo poo about distance or height or anything. I was going insane trying to find the loud clicking sound on the first floor of the border town vocation guild, only for the sound to get quieter on the second floor, and even quieter still on the roof. Then after some exploring I saw the token on a broken archway like twenty feet behind and above the building entirely. The flashing light is far less noticable than the fog effect that most of the tokens give off, and the fact that it makes the exact same noise and flash if it's just pointing out a treasure chest is really agitating. I got the achievement for 80 though, and that's what matters.

Also, much like trickster, I'm just punching my way through mage. At least for any area that doesn't have a near infinite number of rattlers, which is rapidly becoming most areas.

the flash shines through everything if you're close enough to them, so it has a lot of uses considering how many tokens are concealed in terrain features (there's one in the middle of a wheatfield outside vernworth, for example)

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I've explored pretty much everywhere and only ever seen the one at the south end of the elf lands.

As for the first sentence there's a trophy for killing the Talos early, but also some for waking it up / doing more super bosses but it seems like that's not an option if you killed it yourself?

I definitely got it in Battahl. If I remember right, it was on the road along the ravine where you can cross to go up to medusa cave.

As for your spoiler: One of those happens after the other, they're not different results for the same thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

With all the chat about augments I'm second guessing my warrior pawn build. Any opinions on skills or augs I should include?

Do I really need to get that Sorceror knockdown resist augment? I'd hate to switch and suddenly my pawn's a low level sorc for a while (I'll probably do that in the postgame if I do it)

I would consider it a good augment for basically every build, the logical counterpart to Dominance, and it especially makes sense for Warriors, but I don't think the game is difficult enough that there are any augments you strictly need. Especially at level 83. 760 Knockdown Resistance is probably more than enough.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

This mod moves all the best gear from shops into chests instead.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/402

The way you buy 90% of your gear is pretty ridiculous so I'm definitely using it on my next playthrough.

Dumb question from past experience with "Meant to make loot harder, but..." Mods. Wouldn't this actually be easier because you don't have to pay for them anymore? Even with traditional "I also rebalanced the stats!" changes for such mods.

You could just speedrun your way to chests if you are practiced enough at the game to consider shop items cheating, unless they banish eastern map "Pretty okay I Guess" half plate to past Battahl and other extremes. Otherwise, the only people this would hinder are people who haven't already broken the game over their knees in the first place.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vermain posted:

i think a lot of it comes down to the physicality of actually navigating the environments, especially with the hydlide-esque realistic physics of time and weight. clambering up rocky outcrops or stumbling across uneven terrain lends a lot of credibility to the idea of an area being a real space versus, say, skyrim's more video gamey physics

Yeah. I find it interesting how the jumping doesn't feel very video gamey - in that you can jump a couple feet up but people aren't jumping 10 feet in the air and double jumping and such. And, honestly, the stamina system does a lot too. You can only sprint for so long while going uphill in the forest before you start feeling exhausted.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Section Z posted:

Dumb question from past experience with "Meant to make loot harder, but..." Mods. Wouldn't this actually be easier because you don't have to pay for them anymore? Even with traditional "I also rebalanced the stats!" changes for such mods.

You could just speedrun your way to chests if you are practiced enough at the game to consider shop items cheating, unless they banish eastern map "Pretty okay I Guess" half plate to past Battahl and other extremes. Otherwise, the only people this would hinder are people who haven't already broken the game over their knees in the first place.

This isn't meant to "make loot harder", it's meant to give you rewards more appropriate to the effort required to get to the chest, and also to make you explore rather than shop for gear upgrades.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Do I need to do evacuations before the red pillars or are they unrelated? I assume evacuations just puts everyone important in the middle, but I’m trying to do pillars asap to prevent the fog

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

This isn't meant to "make loot harder", it's meant to give you rewards more appropriate to the effort required to get to the chest, and also to make you explore rather than shop for gear upgrades.

Ah, yeah I can get behind an increase in "My mages fly up, then jump back down. Eventually I just stacked boxes and went up there myself before I forgot it exists" chests having actual weapons and armor, yeah. Though it sure would feel like less of a pleasant surprise when I save money by finding a cool item before I get back to town to buy one, without that being a financial risk anymore.

Which remind me how much more it bothers me when shops only sell part of a set instead of all of it. "We got ranger shirts for sale! Great price for your early game poor needs!" "What about the pants?" "You will find two of those, long after they are obsolete."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 8, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I like the sound of that mod as long as its placement choices are appropriate, but I wonder if there’s much point to money anymore with it since the vanilla game does seem balanced assuming most of your money will go into gear

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone got any ideas for other "meta" characters that could have interesting high affinity messages? Already done the fisher hermit and the Dragonforged.
I figured the ghostly beastren guy you meet at the sea shrine could be one, but I don't think you can interact with him outside of cutscenes for the main quest. Still shows up in the NPC history list though.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jack Trades posted:

shoulder slider must be set pretty large for this. shoulder armor seems to scale faster than the shoulder size itself, for whatever reason.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

I like the sound of that mod as long as its placement choices are appropriate, but I wonder if there’s much point to money anymore with it since the vanilla game does seem balanced assuming most of your money will go into gear

The mod maker says that they hand placed every piece of gear, so it's probably reasonable.

Money still has uses because shops still sell gear pieces from previous "tier" of gear, in case you missed them out in the wild.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sea Lily posted:

shoulder slider must be set pretty large for this. shoulder armor seems to scale faster than the shoulder size itself, for whatever reason.

Yeah, I think I have the shoulder slider maxed out, so it's probably that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

Do I need to do evacuations before the red pillars or are they unrelated? I assume evacuations just puts everyone important in the middle, but I’m trying to do pillars asap to prevent the fog

In the postgame, do every red pillar first, that buys you all the time you need to do everything else at your leisure. You still have limited rests though.

Phlegmish posted:

I would consider it a good augment for basically every build, the logical counterpart to Dominance, and it especially makes sense for Warriors, but I don't think the game is difficult enough that there are any augments you strictly need. Especially at level 83. 760 Knockdown Resistance is probably more than enough.
Thanks! So what I'm hearing is, 760 knockdown resistance good... so +30% must be even better.

She's already got two rings of knockdown++ so that augment should round out her build nicely.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I find it interesting how the jumping doesn't feel very video gamey - in that you can jump a couple feet up but people aren't jumping 10 feet in the air and double jumping and such. And, honestly, the stamina system does a lot too. You can only sprint for so long while going uphill in the forest before you start feeling exhausted.

Giving up the levitate classes did come a little hard having starting the game as a mage. Would have been even harder if my jocks ever actually realized when I wanted them to chuck me 20 feet in the air instead of turning themselves into a Sonic bumper every fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Looking at those Augment numbers, Dynamism actually seems quite good. Getting to have Average weight treated like Light (or Light like Very Light) would be nice.

Though with that in mind, I'm curious how weight levels affect speed and stamina consumption. The difference between Light and Average is very noticable, but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 8, 2024

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Something like this happened to me while I was trying to scale a particularly steep cliff - I grappled onto an invisible "ledge" on the side of a smooth cliff face and then rocketed way up in the air. Best part was I landed perfectly on the edge of the cliff so that instead of taking damage I just climbed up and reached the top when I never really expected it would be possible in the first place. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" indeed.

Also why did they put some kind of a tower/steeple thing on top of the mountain behind Bakbattahl and also put clearly defined climbable staircase-like rocks leading all the way up to it, but then put invisible walls all around it so you can't actually get up there? It's one thing to make the terrain simply unclimbable but I got within like 50 feet of it and was standing on actual flat ground, running into invisible walls. Felt like a huge waste of time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ytlaya posted:

Looking at those Augment numbers, Dynamism actually seems quite good. Getting to have Average weight treated like Light (or Light like Very Light) would be nice.

It is very good, though you can't get it on a pawn.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok, so this is my understanding of the lore and ending for DD2.

So the Pathfinder is a god, but maybe not GOD, who is in charge of our world. He has enough power to make and unmake it. He grows dissatisfied with repeatedly watching our world succumb to chaos and decides to try and make things more sustainable. He forms the chaos into a dragon (referred to as a being of pure destruction) and sends it out with the intention that a hero will rise, kill the dragon, become king and have a storybook ending until he needs to lower the chaos levels again.

The thing is, that the Chaos that devours the world is part of him. He is explicitly in control of the order/chaos creation/destruction harmony/oblivion duality. The only reason the world keeps being devoured is because he insists on squatting on it to watch it like a daytime soap. He tries to keep it out of the way in the ocean, but The Brine is the entropic half of him.

So the cycle is his attempt to have his cake and eat it too. But the system requires that everyone act out their roles and it is starting to break down. People like Roithas and Phaesus are noticing what's up and trying wage war on heaven. The Mad Hermit made it all the way to the Unmoored World before he failed. The Dragon is tired of jobbing and drops hints that he'd like it to stop and even protects you from The Brine as he's dying. He's having to intervene more and more.

When he decides this world is a bust, he let's his stank loose from the ocean and sends out his Purgenators to start wiping the slate clean. When you beat them, he gets all huffy and decides to invest all his power in a big rear end Dragon avatar and do it himself. The pawns are part of him meant to assist The Arisen in keeping the cycle going, so they return to him in the form of goop dragons. Only your Main Pawn has gotten enough second hand will to rebel and help kill him.

Now that god is dead, the world no longer has a guiding hand, but also no longer has god's destructive half threatening to consume the world. The last shot is the Mad Hermit setting out on a Brine free sea.

I think a lot of the confusion is people trying to reconcile DD1 with the new game, but I'm pretty sure that explicitly different universes with different mechanics. This is not helped by the fact that the game has so many explicit callbacks. Like Roithas is called the Seneschal in the Japanese version, but it doesn't seem to be the same role as in DD1. Also his kingdom has the same layout as Gran Soren, but can't be Gran Soren because he both founded and ruled it until it was sunk into the ocean. Also he was a Catman and there were no Catmen in DD1.

Also I'd like to add that I really like the upgrade The Brine got in 2, compared to just being a weird gameplay contrivance in 1.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 8, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Also I'd like to add that I really like the upgrade The Brine got in 2, compared to just being a weird gameplay contrivance in 1.

they get props for incorporating not wanting to deal with swimming animations into the story

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Armor really is the biggest drag on the game for me right now. There's seemingly very little of it and cosmetically a lot of it is pretty similar to one another.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

If this theory is true, then the Pathfinder really likes to talk about himself in third person. To me it felt more like he was just an "observer" serving some higher power called "The great will".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Broken Cog posted:

If this theory is true, then the Pathfinder really likes to talk about himself in third person. To me it felt more like he was just an "observer" serving some higher power called "The great will".

I really should have given my Arisen golden eyes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yeah this is exactly my read too. I wasn't as clear on the connection between the Pathfinder and the Pawns being a part of him so that clears that up quite a bit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Climbed the western mountain path from Bakbathall to Vermund last night. Crisscrossing across the waterfall in a torrential downpour. Literally just walking from point A to point B, not even for any real purpose other than exploring, and it was some of the most fun I've had in a game in ages.

When I realized it literally lets out right under the bridge of the checkpoint town I had to chuckle. It was under my nose this whole time!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Though with that in mind, I'm curious how weight levels affect speed and stamina consumption. The difference between Light and Average is very noticable, but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

I'm pretty sure it affects just about everything - run speed, stamina consumption, and stamina regeneration. That's why I'm constantly jonesin' for beetles. I want to make sure my pawn is reliably at Very Light when she gets hired, even if she picks up materials here and there.

Thanks! So what I'm hearing is, 760 knockdown resistance good... so +30% must be even better.

She's already got two rings of knockdown++ so that augment should round out her build nicely.

I'm not sure how the calculation works exactly, but I don't think it'll be 760 +30%. But it should still be a nice boost

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 8, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

Climbed the western mountain path from Bakbathall to Vermund last night. Crisscrossing across the waterfall in a torrential downpour. Literally just walking from point A to point B, not even for any real purpose other than exploring, and it was some of the most fun I've had in a game in ages.

When I realized it literally lets out right under the bridge of the checkpoint town I had to chuckle. It was under my nose this whole time!

Traveling from A to B in this game is such a treat, the most enjoyable open world exploration I can think of, even with the nigh worthless chests (no I don't care what chest you found in the rift, follow me dammit). Exploring for its own sake is so good, and like others said upthread I think the physicality of your interactions with the world are a huge part of it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Armor really is the biggest drag on the game for me right now. There's seemingly very little of it and cosmetically a lot of it is pretty similar to one another.

yeah equipment is definitely a low point for me, i think i also very simply miss the cloth layering system from DD, and i think loot was just in general more exciting. I just did moonrise in DD1 and you can loot like 10 pieces of equipment out of it

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure it affects just about everything - run speed, stamina consumption, and stamina regeneration. That's why I'm constantly jonesin' for beetles. I want to make sure my pawn is reliably at Very Light when she gets hired, even when she picks up materials here and there.

I'm not sure how the calculation works exactly, but I don't think it'll be 760 +30%. But it should still be a nice boost

yeah it's a great augment, you're just better all around at lower weight encumbrance. it's a no brainer on the arisen in this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

I really enjoyed this moment / realization. That whole route was really fun, especially the chimera being guarded by Minotaurs on each side of the misty/stormy area

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure it affects just about everything - run speed, stamina consumption, and stamina regeneration. That's why I'm constantly jonesin' for beetles. I want to make sure my pawn is reliably at Very Light when she gets hired, even if she picks up materials here and there.

It actually did bump my pawn from 700-something to above 1000, so it might actually work like that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really enjoyed this moment / realization. That whole route was really fun, especially the chimera being guarded by Minotaurs on each side of the misty/stormy area

The best part of that was seeing it the through the squall and thinking whoa that's a cool entrance about half a second before I got launched into the air by a surprise minotaur charging me from behind.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Ok, so this is my understanding of the lore and ending for DD2.

So the Pathfinder is a god, but maybe not GOD, who is in charge of our world. He has enough power to make and unmake it. He grows dissatisfied with repeatedly watching our world succumb to chaos and decides to try and make things more sustainable. He forms the chaos into a dragon (referred to as a being of pure destruction) and sends it out with the intention that a hero will rise, kill the dragon, become king and have a storybook ending until he needs to lower the chaos levels again.

I think a lot of the confusion is people trying to reconcile DD1 with the new game, but I'm pretty sure that explicitly different universes with different mechanics. This is not helped by the fact that the game has so many explicit callbacks. Like Roithas is called the Seneschal in the Japanese version, but it doesn't seem to be the same role as in DD1. Also his kingdom has the same layout as Gran Soren, but can't be Gran Soren because he both founded and ruled it until it was sunk into the ocean. Also he was a Catman and there were no Catmen in DD1.
It's a good summary except I agree with

Broken Cog posted:

The Great Will is the one who created the whole dragon-and-arisen cycle to combat oblivion/entropy/whatever, the Pathfinder would be a step above the seneschal (or the seneschal stand-in, since Rothais is off-duty) in DD1 terms. I think he's a god-like being but explicitly NOT the Great Will or the person who created the cycle. I think he's a lesser mook trying his hand at being the seneschal except as you mention, a lot of people start getting sick of this cycle poo poo and rebel against him.
In terms of things not fitting in with DD1, I agree that DD2 is set differently, but also we see multiple worlds/cycles being birthed and falling into oblivion, what's to say one of them wasn't DD1? Maybe the cycle we have now is an evolution of whatever was happening in DD1. It makes sense that for a "cycle" that keeps playing out, certain things remain similar enough to be recognizable even though much else has changed (so Gran Soren existing, for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Traveling from A to B in this game is such a treat, the most enjoyable open world exploration I can think of, even with the nigh worthless chests (no I don't care what chest you found in the rift, follow me dammit). Exploring for its own sake is so good, and like others said upthread I think the physicality of your interactions with the world are a huge part of it.

The greater Vermund area genuinely blew my mind with how it just feels to run around it. I grew up in the Washington/Idaho/Montana area and a lot of the space in the Vermund forests feels taken exactly from wilderness there. It was transportive.