Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Magic archer must have been repositioned late into development, there’s so many low level bows that don’t make any sense, and the arbor guys also sell them. Almost certainly was originally there, which makes WAY more sense. Should have kept the maister where she is but moved acquisition to the arbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sloober posted:

yeah it's a great augment, you're just better all around at lower weight encumbrance. it's a no brainer on the arisen in this

You mean Thew? I never did end up getting it on my Arisen, but I agree that it should be regarded as a universally useful augment, especially if you don't already have an encumbrance-boosting ring.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm going to be doing some dragon hunting soon. Is there a good way to save your pawns from the explosion spell dragons can do? The one that fires upward from the ground.

It's not hard to dodge but the pawns rarely manage to, and it deals a boatload of damage. My initial thought was just to run Mystic Spearhand and have shields on everyone constantly.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I'm going to be doing some dragon hunting soon. Is there a good way to save your pawns from the explosion spell dragons can do? The one that fires upward from the ground.

It's not hard to dodge but the pawns rarely manage to, and it deals a boatload of damage. My initial thought was just to run Mystic Spearhand and have shields on everyone constantly.

there's red firey spots on the ground, just dont stand in them, generally i just run around like my rear end is already on fire. you can interrupt casts on it with weakpoint hits if you're good enough at targeting the chest spot, although you *can* interrupt it with head hits too. skull splitter reliably interrupts if you hit right, and i'm sure a warrior skyward can do it in a hit too

Phlegmish posted:

You mean Thew? I never did end up getting it on my Arisen, but I agree that it should be regarded as a universally useful augment, especially if you don't already have an encumbrance-boosting ring.

thew and the augment that treats your encumbrance as one level lower

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sloober posted:

there's red firey spots on the ground, just dont stand in them, generally i just run around like my rear end is already on fire

I know, I'm asking how to protect my pawns from it. If there is any way that is.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Formless Feint + Blades of Pyre just destroyed this griffin, drat.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I know, I'm asking how to protect my pawns from it. If there is any way that is.

you can reliably save them by running your rear end away and telling them to follow, just moving is enough to save them most of the time

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sloober posted:

you can reliably save them by running your rear end away and telling them to follow, just moving is enough to save them most of the time

Ah gotcha that makes sense I hadn't thought of using the follow command to force them to move. Thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's baffling that Formless Feint doesn't drain extra stamina for every hit evaded.
Monster Hunter World had the exact same overpowered ability and that's how they solved it.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

It's baffling that Formless Feint doesn't drain extra stamina for every hit evaded.
Monster Hunter World had the exact same overpowered ability and that's how they solved it.

I mean... it does? It drains stamina for having it on and then extra for auto-dodging. Or do you mean it should ramp the stamina costs for every subsequent hit?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Btw new pawn quest just dropped. Camp in Western Vermund x3 for uhhh 25 Knacker Horns. It's a pretty annoying region to spam-camp, since it's hard to make loops there.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Something occurred to me today, and I don't know of it's true, because I have had a few rides without an ambush. But pretty much every ambush seems to happen at about the halfway point. I've been using the ambushes to get to the next destination quicker pretty effectively. I don't know if this was by design or a happy accident.

One of my favorite tactics if a quest destination is about halfway between two points (say, the rest town and Vernworth) is to take a cart from one destination to the other, knowing there's about a 75% chance of getting attacked halfway there and dropping me off right at my desired destination. Naturally I leave the cart to their fate, as I paid for a safe trip and they neglected to pay me to be a bodyguard.

Later in the game when the cart attacks start getting more involved I just started abandoning the cart by default - you'll be at your destination faster if you just abandon them and skip fighting off 50+ wolves

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The drake I fought as warrior got absolutely torn apart, and after I arc of mighted it from 3.5 bars of health straight to 0.5 bars it tried casting meteor just for the sorcerer pawn to cast her own meteor at the same time. our meteor was better

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Deified Data posted:

One of my favorite tactics if a quest destination is about halfway between two points (say, the rest town and Vernworth) is to take a cart from one destination to the other, knowing there's about a 75% chance of getting attacked halfway there and dropping me off right at my desired destination. Naturally I leave the cart to their fate, as I paid for a safe trip and they neglected to pay me to be a bodyguard.
The problem with that is if the cart driver dies, then the cart is permanently toast until you find their body in the morgue and resurrect them with a Wakestone. At least, the Bakbattahl one was for me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

A fun way to find out how fast Formless Feint can drain your stamina is to climb up the back of a cyclops wearing spiked armor. In normal combat it doesn't drain very fast at all unless you're also spamming Cutting Wind or tanking ten goblins at once or something, and if a pawn is using Celestial Paean it's essentially free invincibility for as long as the effect lasts.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"I should finally stop putting off hiring sorcerers out of fear of the 'too easy' mindset, while I build up archer and mage from nothing-" :stare:

Every tall rear end in a top hat fight on the east coast is now wondering when the sorcerer pawn gets bored with our quaint tar arrows and knockdowns, and finally cast meteor.

Which at least is funny as gently caress when they decided to wait for the exact moment the incoming victory music starts playing, to cut it off asap. "Are you sure you are ready for a test of archery, master? Oh hold on a second that cyclops thought it deserved a dramatic cutscene appearance... Wow, Elven archery, imagine."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

The problem with that is if the cart driver dies, then the cart is permanently toast until you find their body in the morgue and resurrect them with a Wakestone. At least, the Bakbattahl one was for me.

That's weird. I used the same tactic a bunch of times and I never had an issue with carts not being available.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Clocks posted:

I mean... it does? It drains stamina for having it on and then extra for auto-dodging. Or do you mean it should ramp the stamina costs for every subsequent hit?

Oh. My bad. I never realized that it did even.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

That's weird. I used the same tactic a bunch of times and I never had an issue with carts not being available.

Yeah I've never had that issue and I've dipped on them a ton. Maybe if you get far enough away he doesn't die and is just presumed by the game to make it back wherever they belong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Climbed the western mountain path from Bakbathall to Vermund last night. Crisscrossing across the waterfall in a torrential downpour. Literally just walking from point A to point B, not even for any real purpose other than exploring, and it was some of the most fun I've had in a game in ages.

Now imagine going down that path in the opposite direction without realizing it leads directly into Bakbatthal!

Definitely the most interesting and exciting experience I had playing this game, just suddenly stumbling into a city and excitedly buying a house and finally depositing all the poo poo encumbering my party (who were all at <50% max HP).

edit: Oh my bad, I misread your post. I thought you meant "the path west of Vermund" not the far western path. That one is also really cool if you haven't done it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 8, 2024

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

Climbed the western mountain path from Bakbathall to Vermund last night. Crisscrossing across the waterfall in a torrential downpour. Literally just walking from point A to point B, not even for any real purpose other than exploring, and it was some of the most fun I've had in a game in ages.

When I realized it literally lets out right under the bridge of the checkpoint town I had to chuckle. It was under my nose this whole time!

I discovered this route in a similarly casual "wonder where this goes" type fashion, and agree that whole stretch is a big highlight. Even discovered Sphinx's second hiding spot before she even moved there. That area with the torrential downpour is so cool and atmopsheric.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

In the postgame, do every red pillar first, that buys you all the time you need to do everything else at your leisure. You still have limited rests though.

Apparently there’s an unmarked quest objective at the Talos that can also help but I’m unclear if that’s required or what it even does, not a lot of info about it that I can find online. Probably because it’s unmarked

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, so...it is possible for the Dragonblight to progress even if you have a full party. I just blew up Vernworth as well, lol

I will revise my theory to it being impossible to destroy the same city twice

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
^^ OK N=2 then lol

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I've never had that issue and I've dipped on them a ton. Maybe if you get far enough away he doesn't die and is just presumed by the game to make it back wherever they belong.

In my game everyone in Vernworth died and the ox carts resumed service a few days later. You don't need to revive them.

Responding to Phlegmish: I know N=1 but I did not see signs of the pawn clap and did not dismiss support pawns. My pawn still nuked the capital. :iiam:

This game is pretty smart about quest outcomes and fluidity in how you handle it. Bakbattahl starting quest spoiler: when the quest to protect the high priestess triggered for me I was coming from the opposite side I guess where the developers expected players to come into that area from. So I just kept walking after accepting the quest and it failed and she died. I was kinda bummed out but then I beelined to Volcanic Island to avoid buying Battahli weapons and gear only to upgrade later anyway. There, I met the chief retainer there who was sent to lovely guard duty in bumfuck nowhere for not preventing the murder and they gave me a quest to find out who the killer was. I even took the time to Dwarven forge some of my gear(those that have done it will know how much time I spent going to the island and getting stuff Dwarven forged). Then I ferrystoned back to Bakbattahl and found the high priestess in the only coffin in the charnel house. I wakestoned her, got a cinematic about that and the questline accounts for it, she even acknowledges the quest I got from her retainer and agrees to have me find the killer. Weird, because that was ingame many many days later. It's so awesome that 1) I did not completely fail the quest and 2) that I was kind of able to finish it in multiple ways with the game reacting to my choices.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I was wrong about the full party thing. The only thing I'm left wondering is why the 'blight never progressed during my first playthrough, even though I eventually started ignoring the signs.

We must continue our research. My pawn will inevitably get infected within minutes of me booting up the game, it's like she has a case of megaherpes, so this time I want to see if it's possible to destroy Checkpoint Rest Town. How about Melve? The Volcanic Island Camp?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have you tried being nice to your pawns? Maybe then they wouldn't get cranky.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing is that blight seems to be more common in NG+. I think it has something to do with the endgame stuff creating more infected pawns, which then carry forward since all the pawns you'll be finding in NG+ are high level. I barely saw it at all in my main playthrough but NG+ it's showing up a lot more.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Jack Trades posted:

I've never seen any signs of blight and I clap hands with my pawns constantly. am I giving them cootie shots

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Even summoned pawns who declare how much they love traveling with you unprompted by refusing to fire them long after their quest is complete, remain entirely baffled at your dumbassery when you hand carry them past the cyclops corpse they can't work out how to path around.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I'm destroying drakes now, this poo poo rules.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, so...it is possible for the Dragonblight to progress even if you have a full party. I just blew up Vernworth as well, lol

I will revise my theory to it being impossible to destroy the same city twice

You're doing gods work lol

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/mwEnOXU.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao

I always like to put real good rewards for pawn quests, whatever the best thing in my inventory is. I'll put up dragon's gazes, wyrmslife crystals, whatever else, just because it's nice to get something nice

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doomfunk posted:

I've never seen any signs of blight and I clap hands with my pawns constantly. am I giving them cootie shots

Have you ever considered that maybe - just maybe - they don't want to clap hands? That maybe they're only doing it because they know their boss expects it of them?

Of course you didn't. They're "just pawns" after all. So you clap hands over and over, while the resentment grows. Finally, your pawn has had enough. "CLAP THIS!" they scream, as they slap every man and woman in Vermund to death.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I never clap hands with my pawns becuase they're head and shoulders taller then me and we just swipe the air near each other

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

The_Rob posted:

I’ve been playing for a few days now and have decided that this game is Skyrim if Skyrim was actually fun.

That has basically been my view and experience of this so far.

Also, I decided to create my own version of pawn etiquette: I always gift them at least a fruit roberant on the way out. Unless they die by falling into the brine like idiots, there's no saving that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As I dozed off that fateful night, I heard her mutter "dogma deez dragons". I should have stopped her then and there. Alas, I came too late.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
better than too early

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I just got the "loving yeet a guy into oblivion" skill for spearhand and lmao this class loving rules, why did I ever waste so much time on everything else when I could have been teleporting around, putting free shields on all my guys constantly, freezing anyone who looks at me funny, and occasionally sending a goblin to someone a couple continents over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing is that blight seems to be more common in NG+. I think it has something to do with the endgame stuff creating more infected pawns, which then carry forward since all the pawns you'll be finding in NG+ are high level. I barely saw it at all in my main playthrough but NG+ it's showing up a lot more.

That definitely held true for me. After like 50h or something in my first game I think I only ran into dragonsplague once (when the tutorial popped up to inform me of it). I was thinking maybe I'd pick it up during post-game, which seems like the most obvious place to get it, but nope. But once I started in NG+ I've had it way more often than the preceding dozens of hours. (Fun fact, you can actually tell if a pawn has dragonsplague sometimes in the rift, and I don't mean people who have red-eyed pawns to try to be funky about it. They do the whole vascillating/glowing thing. I tend not to hire those though.) Maybe quite a few more people did pick it up in postgame even if I didn't, and now it's just kind of out there, especially in higher levels.