Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

credburn posted:

Someone else pointed this out on the forums, but a lot of people are using the word "bespoke" lately. Why is that?

credburn posted:

Yeah but sometimes you can pinpoint what caused the bubble. Like if it was used in a popular song or was from an Avenger's movie catchphrase or something.

The recent trend started as a variant of the Broke/Woke meme I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

The drink would have to be approaching 80% of say palm oil to come near that specific weight.

Fair.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Flipperwaldt posted:

The drink would have to be approaching 80% of say palm oil to come near that specific weight.

Don't shame me for my morning coffee routine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

Don't shame me for my morning coffee routine.
there's that dumb "bulletproof coffee" thing with butter in it but maybe with enough palm oil it will really stop a bullet

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Along the topic of timeshares I just got offered one for the first time. Was checking in at a hotel that also has condo-like units and they offered a free breakfast and tour of the campus. I thought ok that’s a little wierd but maybe just an amenity they have. in order to schedule me they started asking wierd things like marital status and income and talk about a free gift card they give people to take the tour. By now I’m pretty sure this is a timeshare sales pitch and after some prying they admitted that it “technically” is so we canceled the whole thing.

Later I was look through the signup form out of curiosity and saw that as said he they do require both of a married couple to attend. For single females to attend they are required to have a major credit card and 60k income. Single males may not attend.

Any idea why the last 2? Is it just males are more likely to be able to give a hard no to a high pressure sales pitch?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

What was the relationship between 'Shockwave' and 'Flash'? I remember having to install them separately, but wikipedia seems to imply they were the same product?

A bit more to previous answers, Flash was initially a very primitive vector animation format. You could add simple programming like "This button takes you to this scene/frame" but not much more and Shockwave was a more elaborate programming platform. Through the years Flash evolved to have an proper programming language and you could make pretty much anything with it and at the same time Shockwave became more and more obsolete.

Shockwave was mainly for games, but Flash could be more easily used for banner ads, websites and games. Habbo Hotel was made with Shockwave.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

lobsterminator posted:

Habbo Hotel was made with Shockwave.

There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "pool's closed."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
anyone know what this thing is?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

anyone know what this thing is?

Combo card holder/popsocket thing to be adhered to a phone or phone case.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Yeah I've seen junk like this given out at conventions. I for one sure love my home AC repair company enough that I want to advertise them for free everywhere I go.

Edit: This style is supposed to be a business card holder and phone stand.

https://www.4imprint.com/product/126473/Phone-Stand-Wallet

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
thanks, I thought it was supposed to be stuck to a wall and I was just trying to figure out what in the gently caress was supposed to hang off it

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Will your average water filter (either in a fridge or a basic charcoal pitcher style) remove fluoride from tap water?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Will your average water filter (either in a fridge or a basic charcoal pitcher style) remove fluoride from tap water?

No, but unless you have water that's contaminated with excessive fluoride you want it in your water for your teeth.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The only downside to excessive fluoride (i.e. well above the normal level, which is desirable) in water, that I'm aware of, is that it turns your teeth brown. It's purely aesthetic, and on the plus side, the brown is a hard layer of calcium fluoride that is unlikely to develop cavities.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I heard fluoride can potentially turn frogs gay.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

Good news if you're a frog, then, it should improve your dating prospects

mystes
May 31, 2006

lobsterminator posted:

Frogs are already gay.1

1: Lobel, Arnold. Frog and Toad Are Friends. New York, HarperCollins/ I Can Read Book, 1970.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

No, but unless you have water that's contaminated with excessive fluoride you want it in your water for your teeth.

Not trying to get rid of it or worried about having it there. Kind of the opposite, making sure that using a filter isn't removing fluoride. Then again, I brush using tap water and not filtered, so it probably doesn't matter any way.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Not trying to get rid of it or worried about having it there. Kind of the opposite, making sure that using a filter isn't removing fluoride. Then again, I brush using tap water and not filtered, so it probably doesn't matter any way.
The amount of fluoride in tap water is pretty low so I don't think it matters whether the water you brush with specifically has it or not (compared to the amount of fluoride in your toothpaste); I think it's more about the fluoride being in the water the rest of the time when you drink it.

That said, how important fluoride in water actually is if you're brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste regularly I'm not sure.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I am building a greenhouse. It is made of aluminium and glass, with a few screws. One of the screws broke while being screwed into the hole in the aluminum, so now I have a headless screw in a hole that I need to get out. How do I do that? Obviously, it broke right at the edge, so I can't get at it with pliers and i didn't have any luck drilling into the hole, partly because the drill keeps slipping.

(I don't know how to upload an image from my phone nowadays, sorry)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

BonHair posted:

I am building a greenhouse. It is made of aluminium and glass, with a few screws. One of the screws broke while being screwed into the hole in the aluminum, so now I have a headless screw in a hole that I need to get out. How do I do that? Obviously, it broke right at the edge, so I can't get at it with pliers and i didn't have any luck drilling into the hole, partly because the drill keeps slipping.

Drill a hole in a piece of wood and clamp it to the aluminium to guide your drill.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mystes posted:

That said, how important fluoride in water actually is if you're brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste regularly I'm not sure.

According to my dentist, fluoride in water is especially important for young children cause it gets into their system and then to their "tooth seeds" of their adult teeth developing within their gums. Fluoride in toothpaste doesn't get into their system as well as in water (or pills, which our child takes cause they don't fluoridate the water here)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BonHair posted:

depending on how deep in it is you could cut a notch in it with a dremel / rotary tool and then take it out with a regular flatheat screwdriver
or you could pick up a screw extractor bit from the hardware store and use it on your power drill

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

alnilam posted:

According to my dentist, fluoride in water is especially important for young children cause it gets into their system and then to their "tooth seeds" of their adult teeth developing within their gums. Fluoride in toothpaste doesn't get into their system as well as in water (or pills, which our child takes cause they don't fluoridate the water here)

Well gently caress me, my moron childhood county "proudly" excluded flouride from their water supply in the first 20 years of my life I spent there.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
The chemical equation for how fluoride protects teeth is pretty simple and well known, you can look it up if you remember your high school chemistry. It makes a measurable difference that's been observed statistically in basically every study ever done, having the extra protection in the water supply definitely makes a difference even if people are already brushing.

I've never heard of it "getting into your system" as any kind of mechanism for action, it kinda sounds like something he may have made up but I suppose it's possible.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

yeah, sorry that was an uncharitable assumption on my part.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

If you search for "screw extractors" there's a million products intended for this specific purpose. Cannot attest to the efficacy or quality of any of them, though. I long ago started buying nothing but expensive torx screws that never break or strip because gently caress everything else.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Flournival Dixon posted:

I've never heard of it "getting into your system" as any kind of mechanism for action, it kinda sounds like something he may have made up but I suppose it's possible.

It was corroborated by two pediatricians, apparently it's now believed to be the dominant mechanism by which fluoride in water benefits people.

I grew up with fluoridated water and after moving where I am now (which has no fluoride in the water) two dental hygienists and a dentist all took one look at my teeth and said "you didn't grow up here did you." It's that clear of a difference.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
That's interesting, I think it's just sodium fluoride they use but I guess the human body isn't going to have that much fluoride in it without the water supply so maybe indirect exposure through blood or gums or whatever could be more significant than direct contact through drinking.

I suppose your teeth spend a lot more time in contact with saliva and gums than they do with drinking water so maybe I shouldn't be that surprised.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

Well gently caress me, my moron childhood county "proudly" excluded flouride from their water supply in the first 20 years of my life I spent there.

My mom specifically asked our dentist to give me and my siblings fluoride treatments when we were kids because we lived somewhere like that. They just filled these foam mouth guards with some sort of gel and we had to bite on em for 10 minutes or so.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wash bucket posted:

My mom specifically asked our dentist to give me and my siblings fluoride treatments when we were kids because we lived somewhere like that. They just filled these foam mouth guards with some sort of gel and we had to bite on em for 10 minutes or so.

Bubblegum or mint?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Bubblegum or mint?

... poo poo it was bubblegum.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wash bucket posted:

They just filled these foam mouth guards with some sort of gel and we had to bite on em for 10 minutes or so.

Oh my god this just unlocked memories buried deep within my brain, that stuff always had a weird taste and texture and I hated it as a kid

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I live in a place with flouridated water and I got those awful flouride mouth foam things too. I think I just had Bad Mouth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wash bucket posted:

... poo poo it was bubblegum.

I think I had orange a few times but bubblegum was the best IMO

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

wash bucket posted:

You can ask for a fluoride treatment from your dentist even as an adult.

49 years old here proudly on team Zero Cavities Ever

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

YggiDee posted:

I live in a place with flouridated water and I got those awful flouride mouth foam things too. I think I just had Bad Mouth.

I am honestly unsure if the water supply where I grew up was fluoridated or not. It's possible it wasn't... I grew up in Phoenix and the municipal water tasted nasty and smelled worse, so nobody drank it. Everyone had filtered water that came in big jugs.

Might explain why I had cavities in my molars the moment they came in.... I've used fluoride rinse every night since then, and have had a few cavities here and there.

The water here is fluoridated, thank god. I checked. Every municipal water supply in this state (CT) is fluoridated. Rip you if you use a well, probably!

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

When I am reading an online recipe it's normal to list the ingredients and then the instructions. Does everyone have to constantly scroll between the two or is it just me who can't remember how much I'm supposed to use?

Seems like I could save a ton of time if it just said "add the flour (1 and ¼ cups)" and save me from checking the ingredients for the fifth time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chunjee posted:

When I am reading an online recipe it's normal to list the ingredients and then the instructions. Does everyone have to constantly scroll between the two or is it just me who can't remember how much I'm supposed to use?

Seems like I could save a ton of time if it just said "add the flour (1 and ¼ cups)" and save me from checking the ingredients for the fifth time.

That’s why I measure everything before hand, and that also keeps me from getting to the situation where I’m mid-cook and see that the 3 onions are supposed to be finely diced oh well that can just keep overcooking while I take care of that…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chunjee posted:

You could use something like https://www.justtherecipe.com (free) or the app Paprika (costs money) to format the recipe in a form where you can see the ingredients list and instructions at once.