Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It's important to brush up on your Crystal Chronicles lore now so you're not lost when SaGa Emerald Beyond releases

I remember liking My Life as a King for the novelty of having the RPG parties running dungeons in the background while you manage the town, but iirc the actual gameplay was pretty shallow. Also some of the other races were paid dlc, which felt crazy for a wiiware game back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The Colonel posted:

why are you asking me

Uhh okay, was just a question

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barreft posted:

Uhh okay, was just a question

Thoughts on All Kamen Rider: Rider Revolution? Ever Play It?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah it wasn't that bad. Not been into those much though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean i think my life as a king is kinda neat. it's decent. i've only played like an hour of it though. i'm not the resident my life as a king expert. i am merely confused why you aimed this direction at me rather than a general body of people. you'd have more luck asking me about some obscure japan only ps1 rpg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
or jak ii, i can give you a lot of thoughts about jak ii

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Jak & Daxter II: Stranger of Paradise

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/b5mb4y.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
jak ii gets made fun of a bit but i think it was very important for the jak series to experiment with movement in the environment jak ii provided. jak & daxter is neat but on a casual level the movement is pretty basic and limiting and in contrast no other gta clone has the kind of naturally fast paced free flowing player movement jak ii does. the way you can seamlessly transition between on foot movement, jet boarding and driving a hovercar, once you learn jak ii's movement tricks it really opens up what you can do with the game in a way even jak 3 kinda doesn't recapture really. jak 3's heavier emphasis on more standard offroad driving is fun too but i feel like jak ii is the only game that's ever tried to plunge the specific depths of its genre combo in a meaningful way. it's an imperfect execution of it but there's nothing like it either so i have to respect it on some level

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I actually did like Jak II quite a bit when I played it. Jak III had the potential to be better, but it ended up feeling really undercooked to me. Strangely I recall Jak II being much better liked circa 2009-2010, usually when I heard about it around then it was considered the best game in the series.

Edit: Okay thinking on it a bit, Jak II did start to get more of a bad rap when the HD collection released. Playing it back to back with the first game really highlights the sheer contrast in tone and mechanics, and I can see how offputting that could be to people who were expecting the whole series to be pure collect-a-thon platformers.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 9, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all of the jak games are weird, jak & daxter is a really polished execution of a simple early 2000s collectathon platformer but it's one that's so strict with its movement that you really have to put everything into routing to make replays interesting, jak ii is a collection of ideas that could make for the most unique 3d platformer of its era but it also has parts that are sort of just wonky and weird, and jak 3 is... a slightly different jak ii? but not like. a better version. it's jak ii with more and some slightly different things but the most interesting aspects of jak ii's gameplay, the stuff related to its core movement mechanics, are not expanded in much depth.

jak & daxter is funny to consider how weirdly linked its history is with vexx, and vexx is like. vexx is deeply unpolished and unfinished and does not achieve half of what it wanted to. but i do think the core movement in vexx is a lot cooler lol, way more momentum and interesting options for how to move around places even if the game doesn't make use of those options as much as it could

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I did recently pick up copies of Jak and Daxter and Jak II for my PS2, I should replay them to see how they hold up versus my memory since it has been quite awhile.

This discussion belongs in the RPG thread because in these games you play the role of Jak.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i messed around with all the ps3 tales games and i'm madder that bandai namco won't let me buy the xillias on pc now cause they run much worse than graces f, been a while since i saw ps3 games this picky about internal resolution

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I did recently pick up copies of Jak and Daxter and Jak II for my PS2, I should replay them to see how they hold up versus my memory since it has been quite awhile.

This discussion belongs in the RPG thread because in these games you play the role of Jak.

you should dump them on your pc and play the community pc ports

https://opengoal.dev/

they're considering porting jak x once they're done with 3 and i am very excited for that. open the door to an era of jak x online mp and mods

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

they're considering porting jak x once they're done with 3 and i am very excited for that. open the door to an era of jak x online mp and mods

that world be sick

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It's not the authentic Jak II experience if you aren't risking sending your PS2 into low orbit every time you play it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh my main feeling after my recent replay was that jak ii's not as hard as i remembered. it's hero mode where some bits of it can kinda suck, otherwise the biggest issue is mostly just some annoying missions where you might wanna use your purple gun but you run out of ammo for your purple gun doing the mission and die and now you have to go all the way back to the gun range to get more purple gun ammo

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Just remembering how a friend of mine was sincerely asked by his dad if Batman Arkham Asylum is a role playing game because you "play the role of Batman."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they should write marvel ultimate alliance 3's existence out of the history books and make a new one

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I didn't mind 3 but it's certainly no XML2 or MUA1

I should play those again with some mods

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Just remembering how a friend of mine was sincerely asked by his dad if Batman Arkham Asylum is a role playing game because you "play the role of Batman."

*attacks the can of worms with a machete*

The Arkham games are ARPGs!

*runs away*

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CullenDaGaDee posted:

He's right

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

a riddler playing game, that's right

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i once knew a guy who designed an rpg in littlebigplanet. even though i remember his name and vaguely remember the names of some of the levels he made, and have vivid memories of the levels themselves, i cannot find remnants of them online. lost in time, like tears in the rain

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

The Colonel posted:

they should write marvel ultimate alliance 3's existence out of the history books and make a new one
They should also let us buy 1 and 2 again.

It's not an RPG, but Shattered Dimensions too on that note.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm still bitter about the drastic change in tone, characters, and gameplay in between Jak and Daxter and Jak II. I liked collectathon platformers far more than I liked what I viewed as a cowardly move to chase GTA.

I barely got through the gun tutorial before returning the rental. My 9-year-old self had standards.

It is, in retrospect, a decent game on its own (and not really GTA at all).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont forget the PSP game, Daxter. Or do. It was extremely forgettable.

Should have been an RPG

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

thoughts on the 3ds ghost recon srpg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CullenDaGaDee posted:

the quest 64 gamefaqs guide that is 90% a diatribe on how the name 'role playing game' makes no sense and how much quest 64 sucks

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

thoughts on the 3ds ghost recon srpg

Not as good as the VP srpg.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’ve been enjoying what is probably the most influential RPG on the PlayStation. That’s right: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

I’ve definitely been charmed by how much weird stuff is in the game. The weather changes outside! There’s a haunted confessional! Save points are 3D polyhedrons that turn into coffins! Watch superplays of boss fights! It’s refreshing after having played so many games that took so much from it yet wound up very formulaic somehow.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Endorph posted:

the quest 64 gamefaqs guide that is 90% a diatribe on how the name 'role playing game' makes no sense and how much quest 64 sucks

This is kinda understandable RPG definitions aside. Cause Nintendo went from having one of the absolute best platforms for the genre to a platform where the genre is almost entirely absent. In that context I could see how Quest 64 existing could feel like a slap in the face to some people in particular.

It's a cute game despite all it's problems and probably doesn't deserve the flak it gets. It's just not the one game that could make up for the otherwise complete lack of rpgs on the system. The game that did that came out a year later.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 9, 2024

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

nrook posted:

I’ve been enjoying what is probably the most influential RPG on the PlayStation. That’s right: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

I’ve definitely been charmed by how much weird stuff is in the game. The weather changes outside! There’s a haunted confessional! Save points are 3D polyhedrons that turn into coffins! Watch superplays of boss fights! It’s refreshing after having played so many games that took so much from it yet wound up very formulaic somehow.

SotN is my absolute favorite game of all time. I love how much weird nonsense is packed into it. Like the variety of pointless food items, the boots that make Alucard's sprite exactly one pixel taller, the little minigame you can do with the super jump and the librarian's chair...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

nrook posted:

When I was marathoning through most of the major Castlevania games a little over a decade ago now I kinda hated SotN for how different it was from the Classic-style games, but I've since come to appreciate how chill it and the Metroidvania style can be. I think I still prefer later games in that mold like Order of Ecclesia or Bloodstained ROTN, but all that weird stuff in SotN is fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Infinity Gaia posted:

SotN is my absolute favorite game of all time. I love how much weird nonsense is packed into it. Like the variety of pointless food items, the boots that make Alucard's sprite exactly one pixel taller, the little minigame you can do with the super jump and the librarian's chair...

The weird goofy poo poo is a trademark of Iga's metroidvanias and the typical lack of that weird poo poo is why a lot of other metroidvanias never feel similar despite following a very similar gameplay pattern.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't been hip to the jrpg scene the past like 8 years, but have any recent games' had great secret dungeons, and if so, why? I was talking with a friend about how much I liked how mysterious and eerie a lot of those types of places were in FF12, and I was wondering how that element has evolved.

Infinity Gaia posted:

SotN packs its charm into the most bizarre things. My personal favorites are all the cool capes you can collect: the reversible one, I think there was an invisible one, you can manually change the colors of... I love it when games pack legitimate mechanical detail into absolute nonsense, or even just anything they're willing for a large portion of their audience not to naturally stumble upon.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If I had SotN in 1997 I would've played it non loving stop

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
SoTN and Circle of the Moon were the only castlevanias I ever beaten.

and Bloodstained

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is an absolute masterpiece. Its actually the last of the Igavania's I played because I played it on the 360 laffo and it still shone through.

Blue Labrador posted:

I haven't been hip to the jrpg scene the past like 8 years, but have any recent games' had great secret dungeons, and if so, why? I was talking with a friend about how much I liked how mysterious and eerie a lot of those types of places were in FF12, and I was wondering how that element has evolved.

Do you mean optional dungeons or post game dungeons or something like roguelike dungeons?

If its just weird optional dungeons its very divisive in so far as "is it fun" goes but FFXV's hellish platforming secret dungeon definitely sticks out for me as a truly different kind of secret dungeon in a JRPG from the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Etrian Odyssey postgame dungeons have eerie nailed down.