Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

His Divine Shadow posted:

Dog turds belong in the rivers, not the streets.

I think you'll find they belong in a plastic bag hanging from the branch of a tree actually

9th April, 1959: NASA announced the first crop of US astronauts for the Mercury project: Scott Carpenter, Gordon Cooper, John Glenn, Gus Grissom, Wally Schirra, Alan Shepard & Deke Slayton. Grissom died in a prelaunch rehearsal of Apollo 1. Shepard was the 1st American in space, & also the only one of the Mercury 7 to walk on the moon as commander of Apollo 14. Slayton was the only 1 of the 7 to not go up as part of Mercury, after being grounded because of a heart condition. He ended up getting to go to space later as part of the final Apollo mission, where an Apollo capsule docked with a Soyuz.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Not really sure why Captain Haddock is in the gang of angry lefty stereotypes standing in the way of Wes’s privatisation plans here

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I mean it kind of looks like the middle-class lefties are cheering them on

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Fun thing about all this single database stuff (excellent posts btw) is that all those issues of combining them are before anyone even mentions security or anonimity. Which as you can imagine is quite an important thing with a national medical database.

Reading accounts of temp workers forced to import and export records manually and combining them ad-hoc like that makes me really queasy, because I imagine as soon as you start pairing data from different systems on the same users data masking goes out the window? Because I bet different systems have different standards for removing what fields and how. If any of the data was even anonymised in the first place!

I guess it's all moot because if we had a single unified database of all people and their medical issues in the UK, it'd be sold to private companies within the first 15 minutes of it going online.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

forkboy84 posted:

I think you'll find they belong in a plastic bag hanging from the branch of a tree actually

In Stockholm recently, a nondescript open outdoor steel pipe of unknown origin sat vertically in the ground, conveniently placed near a popular dog walk route. During construction nearby some demolitions work was done, sending shockwaves through the ground, firing an incidental dog turd cannon

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Those middle class lefties are just calling Wesley a oval office, which is the correct thing to do regardless of political persuasion

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
What if you exported all of those NHS systems to virtual machines and run them on some ~cloud service~, then created a single, simple and cheap frontend to interface with all of them on the backend

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

smellmycheese posted:

Not really sure why Captain Haddock is in the gang of angry lefty stereotypes standing in the way of Wes’s privatisation plans here

The Venn diagrams are better than this.

Not shown: the bags with dollars on them being used to grossly overlay for spare capacity.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What if you exported all of those NHS systems to virtual machines and run them on some ~cloud service~, then created a single, simple and cheap frontend to interface with all of them on the backend

More likely is someone is going to suggest feeding it all into a generative AI and they'll do it. Then you'll be able to ask chatGPT what meds to give your Nan and it'll answer in uncompilable python code.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why not just take that 'spare capacity' under state control. That sounds like something a government can do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

domhal posted:

The Venn diagrams are better than this.

Not shown: the bags with dollars on them being used to grossly overlay for spare capacity.

Blower is dedicated to his craft, unfortunately his craft is being absolutely rubbish at drawing political cartoons

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I've never understood the need for unified systems, just seems like a licence to print money that don't work for anyone

surely coming up with some kind of XML style data transfer protocol and then enforcing every system to use it is more useful than trying to build one mega system that's shite

note: do trains, not computers

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

smellmycheese posted:

Bit surprised to see that Leon Trotsky is alive and well, and looking very good for his age.

Also yeah clearly the pink haired person there is pumping their fist and yelling "GET IN, ARE WES"

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's me, I'm the middle class leftie with private healthcare.

Except every single procedure I've had on BUPA has been done in an NHS hospital, by NHS staff just outside hours or filling in gaps.

I'm not entirely sure how they're going to get people off waiting lists to this magical group of surgeons sitting around in private hospitals because so far it's the same group of running the surgeries during the day, just with more coffee.

Unless of course they're going to get physiotherapists. Thousands of private ones of those. Then they'll say look how much we reduced the lists!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

An NHS consultant put me on the waiting list for a shoulder operation in February 2023, was told it could be up to 9 months. In May 2023 I got called to be asked if I'd like it to go to a private hospital to save my waiting. And now I'm due to have it in May 2024, great work. The private consultant of course didn't want to trust the other one, so wanted to re-validate all diagnostics.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

smellmycheese posted:

Obviously they've read Breaking Free.

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin:_Breaking_Free)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Last year one of my relatives nearly 70 was peeing blood.
Waiting list was told by GP was nearly 3 years!!!!!! So went private, saw consultant £250 - consultant - took one look, said "you could die from this, I'm putting you top of my NHS list for Wednesday" (it was Monday) so he ended up only paying the £250 not for the op as that was done NHS but if he hadn't paid for the private consultation, he would likely have died.

I'm considering going for a private consultation regarding my knee which has osteoarthritis and is getting more 'pointy' by the day covered by a hand-sized what seems to be bursitis. Hobbling around in pain is causing me hip and terrible ankle pain.
GP sent me for an x-ray - result supposed to come back in 2 weeks, went to get result last week, "oh it's running at 3-5 weeks now). GP not allowed to send me for MRI despite suspecting that nothing much will show up on x-ray as she thinks soft tissue problem.
Waiting list to see consultant 18months - 2 years, then they can send me for MRI (maybe another 6 months wait).
Meanwhile, I can't exercise, so I'm getting very very stiff, but I need to exercise because of my relatively new diabetes diagnosis and to stop being stiff! 3 years would put me in my late 60s and probably with severe mobility issues, almost certainly grossly overweight (even 2 months of limited exercise - my weight isn't increasing but I am turning into a suet pudding).

This is all a confection to more or less force people who can afford to to go private.

It's the same with all manner of niggly things such as getting your ear wax removed - affects balance, quality of life etc (I need it doing every 2 years), and I'm sure mental health (I've been told by people with hearing difficulties how tiring it gets trying to keep up with conversations and also seeing my dad as he lost most of his hearing before he died, my mum has hearing aids now but we still have to repeat everything 3 times and you get fed up with it) yet the GP surgery won't do it any longer, NHS waiting list is at least 6 months, so hand over £55 to get them sucked out privately. Or people with mobility issues who can't cut their own toenails for example so nails are cutting into other toes when walking causing bleeding.

Anyway, isn't that cartoon antisemitic in the way that MearOne was?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mebh posted:

More likely is someone is going to suggest feeding it all into a generative AI and they'll do it. Then you'll be able to ask chatGPT what meds to give your Nan and it'll answer in uncompilable python code.

epic fail dude you don't compile python

but yes, the GPT MD phase of this will be awesome

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve got private healthcare through work so I thought I’d give it a go; the doc basically told me to go to my NHS doctor as they can’t order blood work through the private system 🤷🏻

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

epic fail dude you don't compile python
:actually: bytecode!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

9th April, 1959: NASA announced the first crop of US astronauts for the Mercury project: Scott Carpenter, Gordon Cooper, John Glenn, Gus Grissom, Wally Schirra, Alan Shepard & Deke Slayton. Grissom died in a prelaunch rehearsal of Apollo 1. Shepard was the 1st American in space, & also the only one of the Mercury 7 to walk on the moon as commander of Apollo 14. Slayton was the only 1 of the 7 to not go up as part of Mercury, after being grounded because of a heart condition. He ended up getting to go to space later as part of the final Apollo mission, where an Apollo capsule docked with a Soyuz.
I'd vote Labour if it meant that Wes Streeting was blasted into space by Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KTBb9em8qY

And on that glorious day Wesley went further to the right than any other Labour Minister :911:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Bozza posted:

I've never understood the need for unified systems, just seems like a licence to print money that don't work for anyone

surely coming up with some kind of XML style data transfer protocol and then enforcing every system to use it is more useful than trying to build one mega system that's shite

note: do trains, not computers

This exists! It's called HL7. It also has a bunch of different variations (one of which is XML based, actually), and each of those has a bajillion different versions, and then every vendor's implementation is inevitably broken in some way regardless of which version they advertise support for. It's fun! :)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

:hmmyes:

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

An NHS consultant put me on the waiting list for a shoulder operation in February 2023, was told it could be up to 9 months. In May 2023 I got called to be asked if I'd like it to go to a private hospital to save my waiting. And now I'm due to have it in May 2024, great work. The private consultant of course didn't want to trust the other one, so wanted to re-validate all diagnostics.

Ah yes, additional diagnostic tests, the extended warranty of private healthcare :10bux: - Those machines aint free.

Someone mentioned something about XML and NHS stuff and essentially HL7/FHIR as well as your standard REST/JSON stuff.

There are a bunch of things available: https://digital.nhs.uk/developer/api-catalogue

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

'Comedian' and GBeebies presenter Leo Kearse seems to have been cancelled after a torch was shone on his social media activity, hence this desperate scraping of the bottom of the barrel by Calvin

https://twitter.com/calvinrobinson/status/1777368118400053467

I love it when fascist cunts fight between themselves
:allears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Leo K. Arse

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
truly shocked that a right wing comedian might be racist. who could have forseen

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Times has a scoop - https://archive.is/CUv9Y

quote:

Rwandan homes earmarked for deported migrants sold to locals

Most of the properties on a new housing estate in Rwanda that were earmarked for migrants deported from the UK have been sold to local buyers, the developer has said.

“Sold” signs have sprung up in the neat terraces of the Bwiza Riverside estate while the UK government has wrestled with numerous setbacks delaying the deportation scheme’s implementation.

Of the 163 affordable homes, 70 per cent are taken, the developer ADHI-Rwanda said. A manager at the estate in Rwanda’s capital, Kigali, said they had gone to “private people who want to live in them”, leaving space for only a few dozen migrants if flights ever take off.

:lol: and :lmao:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did he shave his hair just so he could wear the bowler hat?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The idea of Tice being woke...

I blocked Kearse months ago when he kept popping up in the 'for you' stream with his vile rantings.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Still sad that Friar Cuck shaved the afro, it was his one redeeming quality.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think he originally shaved his hair off when he got cancelled by GBeebies, muttering something about his situation being the same as concentration camp victims, and I'm also pretty sure his BFF Laurence Fox shaved his head too in solidarity.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Disturbing reports out of London

https://twitter.com/davidwhittam/status/1777622043116138662?t=rUGACkIb96RoJGFNfy4rEw&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is there such a thing as a right wing comedian who's jokes aren't about punching down on minorities?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

I think he originally shaved his hair off when he got cancelled by GBeebies, muttering something about his situation being the same as concentration camp victims, and I'm also pretty sure his BFF Laurence Fox shaved his head too in solidarity.

A whole bunch of fascists shaved their heads in solidarity? Doesn't sound likely.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

KP being a right oval office? :monocle:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I actually still have a hard copy of this ,bought in Brighton in my student days

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't live in London but is apparently convinced it's a warzone. Weird that.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

keep punching joe posted:

Is there such a thing as a right wing comedian who's jokes aren't about punching down on minorities?

No, else they would just be called a comedian.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't live in London but is apparently convinced it's a warzone. Weird that.

happenin in all those islamist sharia zones innit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Last year one of my relatives nearly 70 was peeing blood.
Waiting list was told by GP was nearly 3 years!!!!!! So went private, saw consultant £250 - consultant - took one look, said "you could die from this, I'm putting you top of my NHS list for Wednesday" (it was Monday) so he ended up only paying the £250 not for the op as that was done NHS but if he hadn't paid for the private consultation, he would likely have died.

I'm considering going for a private consultation regarding my knee which has osteoarthritis and is getting more 'pointy' by the day covered by a hand-sized what seems to be bursitis. Hobbling around in pain is causing me hip and terrible ankle pain.
GP sent me for an x-ray - result supposed to come back in 2 weeks, went to get result last week, "oh it's running at 3-5 weeks now). GP not allowed to send me for MRI despite suspecting that nothing much will show up on x-ray as she thinks soft tissue problem.
Waiting list to see consultant 18months - 2 years, then they can send me for MRI (maybe another 6 months wait).

Can you go via a physio appointment? My knee has been giving me grief so I went to a physio. They suggested an xray which took a couple of weeks to get and then a couple weeks more for the results. Showed nothing so they referred me for an MRI. I was lucky that after the appointment on Thursday I got the call at lunch and an invite for an MRI last Sunday. Now just the wait for the results.