Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
After Halo, I feel like its going to be a very slow moving story about some random people living on a pretty nice planet that looks a lot like the forests outside of Vancouver. It'll be all space marines regaining their humanity and talking about their feelings, and they're just kinda tall, not like hulking 9 feet tall behemoths. Even when they do armor up and fight, they will all be taking their helmets off all the time, in order to properly emote, and at least one of them is going to gently caress.

They'll be one and a half really big battles and a bunch of build up to some empty mystery boxes before it gets cancelled for being too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

they'll also look into the camera when they say things like "a horde of space-faring bugs that consume all organic material? Yeah RIGHT." so the audience can go "ooooooh" and then pause it and explain it to their very patient so's.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Molothecat posted:

they'll also look into the camera when they say things like "a horde of space-faring bugs that consume all organic material? Yeah RIGHT." so the audience can go "ooooooh" and then pause it and explain it to their very patient so's.

not knowing what any of the enemies are is pretty on-point for 40k tho

maybe it will be an inquisitor story with one spess mahreen to keep CGI costs low

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vampire Panties posted:

there is literally 0% the Amazon show is not about spess mahreens IIRC space marines outsell other factions 2-1, maybe more?
I'm assuming the show completely glosses over/redefines how geneseed or initiation works, keeps all the other factions off screen, and its like a TV show version of Aliens. Potentially weird flashbacks to spess mahreens fighting other factions, but it will be very strictly limited

The problem is, if it's about Space Marines it has to be animated. A live action series can probably do like, one Space Marine character. But a bunch of guys in the big suits would be a big expensive production nightmare.

Why do you think they'd ignore how Space Marines are made? I don't see what they would gain from that.

I really do think the first series will be about an Inquisitor. Maybe a straight up Eisenhorn adaptation, maybe something original. But it's the obvious move. Your cast is mostly basically normal people, you can film it in pretty cheap and easy sci-fi sets, the plot can largely be about politics and drama instead of constant warfare, and you can have a audience viewpoint character in the retinue, somehow feral worlder or hive city urchin who gets picked up because they have a unique skill or whatever. It's the cheapest and smartest move for introducing the 40k setting to a general audience.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I know that money rules everything, but I do think having Henry Cavil on as executive producer suggests that fidelity to the source material is going to be a selling point of this enterprise. Who knows what they will do in terms of plot and characters, but the details of the universe will probably be maintained, production budget allowing.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

"Then let's take this planet off the menu."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"Then let's take this planet off the menu."

*smashcut to Exterminatus*

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I'll watch a 40k cartoon, but only if it is animated exclusively using the tools Hannah Barbara used in the 60s.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

The Bible posted:

I'll watch a 40k cartoon, but only if it is animated exclusively using the tools Hannah Barbara used in the 60s.

Warhammer plus/Warhammer TV has several animated series, but they all look like anime/CGI.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Bible posted:

Would you settle for Filmation in the 80's, because I think they could reuse a lot of He-Man

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I liked "Straken" because it has an angry shirtless guy on the cover wielding a big knife and shooting at something off-screen:

The contents are about as deep as the cover, with chapter after chapter of "And then Straken shot another Ork in the face, bursting its skull like a wet paper bag filled with gore as yet another one of his men was exploded into glistening chunks of viscera by a cleaver as large as his torso", repeated for hundreds of pages

it was pretty cool

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ChickenHeart posted:

I liked "Straken" because it has an angry shirtless guy on the cover wielding a big knife and shooting at something off-screen:

The contents are about as deep as the cover, with chapter after chapter of "And then Straken shot another Ork in the face, bursting its skull like a wet paper bag filled with gore as yet another one of his men was exploded into glistening chunks of viscera by a cleaver as large as his torso", repeated for hundreds of pages

it was pretty cool

Sounds terrible, but TBH that's how a third of the illiad reads and it's considered a classic.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Do Korgoth of Barbaria, man who played superman poorly!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Would you settle for Filmation in the 80's, because I think they could reuse a lot of He-Man

I'm changing my requirements to Filmation.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Lords of Silence is about a band of plague marines assaulting a sector of space and is awesome. Has some great sequences of imperial defenders losing their mind over the horror they're facing and then it switched to the plague marine viewpoint and they're just these relaxed chill guys who love hanging out in their living ship and infecting people.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Make the show about Eisonhorn and bring in Urban to play him using his Judge Dredd scowl. Even better if they find a way to make Eisonhorn wear a helmet.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

limp_cheese posted:

Make the show about Eisonhorn and bring in Urban to play him using his Judge Dredd scowl. Even better if they find a way to make Eisonhorn wear a helmet.

best case, imo

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Bible posted:

I'm changing my requirements to Filmation.

An Iron Hands soldier takes down an Ork

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Make the show entirely about the Sisters of Battle

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

ChickenHeart posted:

it was pretty cool

hell yeah

The Bible
May 8, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The idea 40K TV show would recreate the look and feel of the setting slavishly, but it should be written and plotted entirely by 11 year olds.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

The idea 40K TV show would recreate the look and feel of the setting slavishly, but it should be written and plotted entirely by 11 year olds.

Who does the writing for the Guilty Gear games?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

and at least one of them is going to gently caress.

I thought space marines were smooth as Ken dolls down there, like master chief and iron man and so on

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Buce posted:

I thought space marines were smooth as Ken dolls down there, like master chief and iron man and so on

Space Ventura: Xenos Detective and the mean chief inquisitor is Eisenhorn.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
And idk give Space a Jokaero sidekick or something

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Here's what I see as Age of Sigmar's problem: It's apparently a much better game than WHFB and sells well because that's a core issue for actual tabletop players, but it seems to have limited appeal outside of that. Nobody has yet made that on-ramp people talked about, there's no Age of Sigmar experience that'd get people who aren't already into tabletop games into it. Meanwhile there is the Total Warhammer series set in the WHFB setting which got very popular because that setting does have appeal. It's a kind of hilarious mess, GW kills the setting because their bad and neglected game doesn't sell and clearly that means people don't like the setting, then they have a major video game trilogy done, and miss out completely on synergies like how they got with Dawn of War for 40k where people start thinking "There are models, right? Maybe i'd like to get some of these dudes". Then they scramble to make the Old World and it's probably a few years too late.

Vampire Panties posted:

there is literally 0% the Amazon show is not about spess mahreens IIRC space marines outsell other factions 2-1, maybe more?
I'm assuming the show completely glosses over/redefines how geneseed or initiation works, keeps all the other factions off screen, and its like a TV show version of Aliens. Potentially weird flashbacks to spess mahreens fighting other factions, but it will be very strictly limited
This is the problem. They'll probably feel it has to be space marines, but it's really hard to make a good story with space marines, and it's really limiting for a show if every character of note must be male, huge, do nothing but fight and have no personal relationships beyond 'battle brother'. They did that space marine CGI movie nobody remembers because it sucked. It did not sell by virtue of featuring space marines. It would make sense to feature space marines but they work better as a background fixture. They're a cool thing that are there but they should not be the main characters.

limp_cheese posted:

Eisenhorn isn't Judge Dredd, he already has Judge Dredd as his companion. Fischig is an arbiter and would thus wear that exact helmet and that exact scowl.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Incitatus posted:

And idk give Space a Jokaero sidekick or something

and have an actual orangutan star as the jokaero

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Buce posted:

I thought space marines were smooth as Ken dolls down there, like master chief

Exactly.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Elukka posted:

Here's what I see as Age of Sigmar's problem: It's apparently a much better game than WHFB and sells well because that's a core issue for actual tabletop players, but it seems to have limited appeal outside of that. Nobody has yet made that on-ramp people talked about, there's no Age of Sigmar experience that'd get people who aren't already into tabletop games into it. Meanwhile there is the Total Warhammer series set in the WHFB setting which got very popular because that setting does have appeal. It's a kind of hilarious mess, GW kills the setting because their bad and neglected game doesn't sell and clearly that means people don't like the setting, then they have a major video game trilogy done, and miss out completely on synergies like how they got with Dawn of War for 40k where people start thinking "There are models, right? Maybe i'd like to get some of these dudes". Then they scramble to make the Old World and it's probably a few years too late.

This is the problem. They'll probably feel it has to be space marines, but it's really hard to make a good story with space marines, and it's really limiting for a show if every character of note must be male, huge, do nothing but fight and have no personal relationships beyond 'battle brother'. They did that space marine CGI movie nobody remembers because it sucked. It did not sell by virtue of featuring space marines. It would make sense to feature space marines but they work better as a background fixture. They're a cool thing that are there but they should not be the main characters.

Eisenhorn isn't Judge Dredd, he already has Judge Dredd as his companion. Fischig is an arbiter and would thus wear that exact helmet and that exact scowl.

I'm not sure how common this is, but as an early/mid-ninties Fantasy player who is curious (I have multiple friends into 40K), learning that Age of Sigmar is set at the end of the setting makes it feel really ephermal and finite - like, it's done as soon as I get into it. Also, the sigmar dudes look like Dark Souls armour that has ok stats but makes your guy look dumb.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Wait what do you mean aos is at the end of the setting

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

does anyone remember the Warhammer novel about the city of the hammer wielding wolfknight guys? I remember enjoying that one alot. It began with a story about a lichlords cult stealing artifacts to resurrect the guy. I tried googling but couldnt find it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Benagain posted:

Wait what do you mean aos is at the end of the setting

Is it not set at the end of the world?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Elukka posted:

Soulbound, the TTRPG for Age of Sigmar, is actually very good and does a lot of extremely interesting things but good luck pitching it on your playgroup.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Do you think they ever have pillow fights on their imperial cruisers

naem
May 29, 2011

warhammer fantasy is classic elves orcs dragons knights etc which have ready built fans as it is an entire genre

you could be a tolkein, DND or Skyrim fan and step right into it with no explanation “hey cool you can fight battles these minis look fun!”

age of sigmar is, slightly different, knights, or something?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Disco Pope posted:

Is it not set at the end of the world?

No it’s way after the end of the world. The world of Warhammer Fantasy blew up, and after some non-specific amount of time the winds of magic coalesced into the Mortal Realms where AoS takes place.

The newly revived Warhammer Fantasy, now called Warhammer:The Old World is set about 500 years before the old Warhammer Fantasy was to give the setting some space from its inevitable doom.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

naem posted:

age of sigmar is, slightly different, knights, or something?
Age of Sigmar is He-Man meets Planescape

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Smugworth posted:

Do you think they ever have pillow fights on their imperial cruisers

If by "pillows" you mean "torsos of both enemies and allies", then yes.

Sisters are absolute psychos who would turn on anyone they thought even hinted at heresy. I have 3000 points of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The Bible posted: