Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hired a sorcerer pawn. The very first time we encountered the enemy, she stopped to cast maelstrom. While standing on a rope bridge above a 100 foot drop.

She tried her best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hired a Simple mage who would randomly fire off Frigor at nothing at all outside of combat, sometimes saying things like "I've got a good feeling about this one"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thundarr posted:

Hired a sorcerer pawn. The very first time we encountered the enemy, she stopped to cast maelstrom. While standing on a rope bridge above a 100 foot drop.

She tried her best.

mine loved to do this, I learned to stop standing on bridges after the first time she dropped me, two of mypawns, and a single hobgoblin, into the brine

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Owl Inspector posted:

Hired a Simple mage who would randomly fire off Frigor at nothing at all outside of combat, sometimes saying things like "I've got a good feeling about this one"

they're breaking open crates and barrels to see if there's anything inside!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

big lol at the paired casting thing, I started sorcerer for a bit to unlock that knockdown resist augment without bothering to swap out the other sorcerer and if the monster makes the mistake of going after the tank for 10 seconds they just get atomized

https://i.imgur.com/m2jTWuw.mp4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0EEeti7Vw

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Phlegmish posted:

Where is the trebuchet that destroys that particular rockslide? I lust for the golden beetle

If I remember correctly, its on the path behind the barred gate on the eastern path to the ancient battlefield

e: Yep, I was able to backtrack and get over there, there's a trebuchet to clear a rockslide that blocks the path to the tower. There's another working trebuchet here, its trebuchets all the way down.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 9, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Owl Inspector posted:

big lol at the paired casting thing, I started sorcerer for a bit to unlock that knockdown resist augment without bothering to swap out the other sorcerer and if the monster makes the mistake of going after the tank for 10 seconds they just get atomized

Amazing

There really shouldn't be anything to loot after a pulverizing like that

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Owl Inspector posted:

I kind of wonder how broken Mystic Spearhand with the shield ability and three sorcerers would be. Just make your pawns completely invincible and let them go nuts.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Thundarr posted:

I kind of wonder how broken Mystic Spearhand with the shield ability and three sorcerers would be. Just make your pawns completely invincible and let them go nuts.

I've been running spearhand and 2 thieves then rotate the other slot, usually something ranged, I've found melee works better with the spearhand so your shields always cover your whole team. Sometimes archers or sorcs sit too far back.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

mine loved to do this, I learned to stop standing on bridges after the first time she dropped me, two of mypawns, and a single hobgoblin, into the brine

Pawns have no sense of proportion. I stopped giving my Archer pawn unlimited access to explosive arrows since she kept using them during fights against a single goblin.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fancy stats posted:

If I remember correctly, its on the path behind the barred gate on the eastern path to the ancient battlefield

e: Yep, I was able to backtrack and get over there, there's a trebuchet to clear a rockslide that blocks the path to the tower. There's another working trebuchet here, its trebuchets all the way down.

Ah, so I still need to find a way to get past the barred gate? I have seen a post saying Thief using called walljump, I don't think I've ever done it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Broken Cog posted:

Fun fact, not all fruits and berries are found in every players' game, for example, I don't have blueberries in mine. Gift one of those, and make the recipient scratch their head.
I also think fruits not available in your world can be used to make stronger potions?

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Wait y’all have blueberries?! But no raspberries?!? Animal crossing poo poo. I love this game.

Owl Inspector posted:

I have apples, grapes, cranberries, figs and quinces. I had no idea there were save-exclusive fruits. what on earth.

I'm feeling so good about my strawberries now.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Phlegmish posted:

Ah, so I still need to find a way to get past the barred gate? I have seen a post saying Thief using called walljump, I don't think I've ever done it.

No, you don't need to use the gate to get to it, it's just the other side of the canyon you can get up it using the lower path and some climbing. I got up that way before opening the gate near the ancient battleground. There's actually a lot of little nooks and forks right around there the map doesn't do a good job of illustrating.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I can't tell if my 3x boss mod glitched out on the vernworth pillar or if that thing has loving INSANE hp but that was cool as hell

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

A patch today says 'miscellaneous bug fixes' https://www.dragonsdogma.com/2/en-us/topics/update/

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

After hitting a whopping level 14 on my main-pawn-only duo Fighter playthrough (a vocation not known for being particularly powerful), the game has become so trivial that I needed to enable the 4x enemy hp mod for things to not die instantaneously. It isn't because I'm particularly amazing; they just hosed up the difficulty that badly. You don't even get enough time to combo attacks together or have fun fighting enemies at all. Actually the single worst thing about the game and I would straight up think it's a trash product if I bought it on console. DD1 wasn't hard but it wasn't like this.

My 7-year old is godawful at games but has been messing around in DD2 a bit when he sees me at it. Can't really do anything but mash heavy attack. Won't evade, block, or heal. Still has no problem tearing through any encounter on a low-level character without dying, including gryphons and minotaurs with a bunch of normal enemies added in. Is that who the game was designed for? Children who only play Minecraft creative mode and gave up on Mario Odyssey and Kirby games because they were too tough? You've got all these mechanics that make it seem like it's supposed to be somewhat punishing/unforgiving and then you make the actual gameplay 3% more challenging than Cookie Clicker. Hard to believe this was made by the same company as Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I basically started over half-way through and emulated DD1's Hard Mode during my whole run. It improved my experience immensely.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Since I'm on console I really hope we get a Hard mode patch and a NG+ scaling patch in the near future. I don't wanna bother with NG+ if I'll just instantly steamroll everything

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NG+ adding brand new systems to buff your stats really heavily implies that they meant for the game to get more difficult, at least in NG+, but probably didn't have enough time to finish that system.

Hopefully the game sells well enough to warrant more updates/expansions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I wish these loving pawns would actually hit and break weak points on this stupid dragon, I can’t break all of them myself before they regen since he spends 98% of the time thrashing around or being in the air so I can’t climb over to them

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

kawaii...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

There really shouldn't be anything to loot after a pulverizing like that

I've only seen it once in 100 hours but I think there is a system for some monsters to not leave anything behind if they get splattered by meteor like this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FishMcCool posted:

I'm feeling so good about my strawberries now.

I'm pretty sure I've found both strawberries and blueberries in the wild.

Don't think I've found raspberries though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's interesting the way some quests and events have so many forks and dynamic adaptation to the player tackling them differently, and others are so hardcoded that they'll actually teleport you around to force you to 'do it right.'
The Coral Snakes quest section where you run through their base did not like that my spearhand could teleport and airdash around and bypass some of the obstacles, so kept teleporting me back to where I'm supposed to be hindered by the cut bridges or falling gates so I could see where the camera pans.

If you're doing that quest and get to the chase sequence: ignore any pawn that says they know where to go for it. You're going the right way, the pawn knowledge is bugged for that quest and they'll just run you in circles around the outside of the base.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

It's interesting the way some quests and events have so many forks and dynamic adaptation to the player tackling them differently, and others are so hardcoded that they'll actually teleport you around to force you to 'do it right.'
The Coral Snakes quest section where you run through their base did not like that my spearhand could teleport and airdash around and bypass some of the obstacles, so kept teleporting me back to where I'm supposed to be hindered by the cut bridges or falling gates so I could see where the camera pans.

If you're doing that quest and get to the chase sequence: ignore any pawn that says they know where to go for it. You're going the right way, the pawn knowledge is bugged for that quest and they'll just run you in circles around the outside of the base.

Sorry to inform you that your pawn is working for the Coral Snakes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's the mark of a good game when you can't tell if the dragon that randomly spawned in the middle of the town square is a bug or intended.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
My latest ox cart got ambushed by 2 ogres, 2 packs of red wolves, and 2 packs of goblins simultaneously.

After a half dozen ragdolls I finally managed to get enough altitude and breathing room to clear the field with Maelstrom.

Also, has anyone else noticed disappearing corpses? I swear I'll occasionally blast a cyclops or griffin so hard they're completely obliterated.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

McKilligan posted:

Also, has anyone else noticed disappearing corpses? I swear I'll occasionally blast a cyclops or griffin so hard they're completely obliterated.

Yes. Excessive amounts of fire damage post-death seem to reduce things to ashes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can even destroy corpses by attacking them, if they're in the way or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've only seen it once in 100 hours but I think there is a system for some monsters to not leave anything behind if they get splattered by meteor like this.

I swear it's something to do with like setting the corpse on fire or exploding it. I've done it manually by throwing explosive barrels at a cyclops before, its corpse burnt away just leaving bones. So sometimes a pawn will cast meteoran and every meteor will just pummel something out of existence.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
My sorceress pawn has maelstrom and meteoron for indoors/outdoors goodness and there's always that point in the fight where she decides I had enough time to try and play hard mode and it's her turn to just nuke everything and move on. I'm really glad there's no friendly fire.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I swear it's something to do with like setting the corpse on fire or exploding it. I've done it manually by throwing explosive barrels at a cyclops before, its corpse burnt away just leaving bones. So sometimes a pawn will cast meteoran and every meteor will just pummel something out of existence.

The times I've seen it happen has been when one of my spells keeps hitting it after it's dead. Salamander continuing to DoT and burn up a griffon corpse, or the first meteor killing a cyclops and the remaining three blowing it to pieces.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

The times I've seen it happen has been when one of my spells keeps hitting it after it's dead. Salamander continuing to DoT and burn up a griffon corpse, or the first meteor killing a cyclops and the remaining three blowing it to pieces.

nah it's just a generic mechanic, if you hit any corpse enough with anything it dissolves away, you can even beat them to a gooey pulp barehanded

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FishMcCool posted:

My sorceress pawn has maelstrom and meteoron for indoors/outdoors goodness and there's always that point in the fight where she decides I had enough time to try and play hard mode and it's her turn to just nuke everything and move on. I'm really glad there's no friendly fire.

The game would be 100% unplayable if there was friendly fire, unless nearly every spell was redesigned from the ground up.

Finally went ahead and got the true ending. It was a bit disappointing. Unlike the wild metaphysics in DD1's ending that lead directly into new game+, DD2 is just kind of "things happen, then you can restart if you want". There's another dragon and then you stab it, the end. Nothing much gets explained or even implied, and if pathfinder wanted me to pay attention to him waxing poetic he shouldn't have been talking over a controlled cinematic. Being able to die during the end credits is kind of funny at least.

A lot of quests felt half baked, or not baked at all, and there were several systems that felt like more was meant to be there but it just didn't make it into the finished product. Maybe having half the team size of other Capcom projects played into that, I dunno. I hope at last that they're going to be able to release a BBI equivalent since there where the real fun and challenge of the original always was.

Maybe one of these days I'll figure out exactly when the game wants me to push the drat button to Spearhand teleport. I've sure tried it enough by now.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Phlegmish posted:

I want to say I used the spearhand forward attack move to leap over it from a nearby pillar, but I'm almost certain you can just drop in from the parapets of the fort in the ancient battlefield

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 9, 2024

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thundarr posted:

She tried her best.

I had the exact same thing happened a couple of nights ago. Was on the volcanic island rope bridge on the way up and a couple of harpies show up. Sorcerer starts casting and floating up in place…and the lift just kept on moving. Loony Tunes rear end death.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Someone made a series of mods trying to adress the game's NG+ difficulty in a more in-depth manner than just adjusting general health/damage.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/users/3278079?tab=user+files

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
This may be an unpopular opinion but I think Meteorn/Maelstrom are really bad on pawn sorcerers and not very good on player character sorcerers either. Maelstrom has a bit of a niche as physical damage with more reliable targeting than seism, but in all cases, the prescient/augural flare spell outperforms them. It casts in about 1/10 the time and does about as much damage but much faster and with an almost 100% chance of a knockdown when placed on a weak point if it doesn't just kill outright.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 9, 2024