Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Danny LaFever posted:

Firefox and ublock works great for me. I do notice that a lot of times the video automatically drops to 480p and I have to manually change it. Its not my internet that is the issue. I had read somewhere the google is deliberately pulling bullshit to make yt worse on firefox so people will use Chrome.

again, and I cannot stress this enough, they did user-agent checks to make Google Maps completely non-functional on Windows Phone so they could kill the platform, which was moribund anyway because app developers couldn't be bothered with it

Hit Apple, Google, MS, Amazon, and Meta with a giant hammer IMO (Meta might not be necessary at this point but we can't have them getting opportunist over everyone else getting broken up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Danny LaFever posted:

Firefox and ublock works great for me. I do notice that a lot of times the video automatically drops to 480p and I have to manually change it. Its not my internet that is the issue. I had read somewhere the google is deliberately pulling bullshit to make yt worse on firefox so people will use Chrome.

They constantly automatically change you back to auto resolution, presumably to cut down on service costs. 1080+ is significantly more resource intensive to serve than 480/720. I downloaded an extension on Firefox to lock it to 1080, but tbqh I don't remember what it was called

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

also shout out to SponsorBlock: which lets you auto-skip sponsors, intros, outros, subscription reminders, and other annoying stuff

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol at people thinking the apple anti trust suit is going anywhere.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

also shout out to SponsorBlock: which lets you auto-skip sponsors, intros, outros, subscription reminders, and other annoying stuff

love it lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Biplane posted:

Pelosi not dumping the stock was certainly a bad sign

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Biplane posted:

the doj is good now. the institutions are back, baby (wolf howl)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the EPA did something today too. Dems are scared about November Lol.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

love to be bullish about commodities. this is good for inflation, right?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

loquacius posted:

again, and I cannot stress this enough, they did user-agent checks to make Google Maps completely non-functional on Windows Phone so they could kill the platform, which was moribund anyway because app developers couldn't be bothered with it

Hit Apple, Google, MS, Amazon, and Meta with a giant hammer IMO (Meta might not be necessary at this point but we can't have them getting opportunist over everyone else getting broken up)

It's kind of silly we have to do this manually, we should just institute laws that automatically break up companies once they hit a certain size threshold.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
why should we break up monopolies instead of nationalizing them?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

against the WTO rules

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

loquacius posted:

But, but, hitting the FAANGs with a hammer might shatter the e-con-omy.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

But the IT generic manager jobs where the guys job description is to sit in zoom meetings and do no personnel management? These people are loving useless.

This is me currently.

I am aggressively paying down our house because I really need to make hay while the sun shines because this poo poo ain’t gonna last and I’d rather not be homeless when I lose my job.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

anonumos posted:

Maybe you should shatter the, freaking economy!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

stumblebum posted:

why should we break up monopolies instead of nationalizing them?

Apple and Meta aren't worth nationalizing. Amazon and Microsoft, probably.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Edit: dumb misread

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Apple and Meta aren't worth nationalizing. Amazon and Microsoft, probably.

I feel like a social media project run with social good as a goal rather than profit would probably be worth pursuing, and Facebook is probably closer to what we'd need than, like, Twitter or Reddit or Tumblr or whatever, so nationalize Meta in its entirety.

Nationalize Amazon in its entirety too because an all-inclusive public online storefront without Jeff Bezos getting to wet his beak would be a valuable tool, and because cloud-computing resources being available at cost would be too. Split Azure off of Microsoft and nationalize it too for the same reason.

Nationalize Google's search function because it allows them to exert an unhealthy amount of control over the Internet, and because they drove it into the ground with their AI poo poo. Nationalize Youtube for the same reason we nationalized Facebook; run it like a crowd-created PBS. Nationalize Gmail too I think, unless people get too worried about the government reading all their emails, in which case I guess just spin it off. Google Maps' value as a utility speaks for itself imo so nationalize that too.

Fully nationalize all ISPs obviously.

Everything else can probably just be hit with a big hammer and shattered into a million pieces IMO but if people really wanna nationalize everything full-stop I sure won't complain

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

loquacius posted:

I feel like a social media project run with social good as a goal rather than profit would probably be worth pursuing, and Facebook is probably closer to what we'd need than, like, Twitter or Reddit or Tumblr or whatever, so nationalize Meta in its entirety.

Nationalize Amazon in its entirety too because an all-inclusive public online storefront without Jeff Bezos getting to wet his beak would be a valuable tool, and because cloud-computing resources being available at cost would be too. Split Azure off of Microsoft and nationalize it too for the same reason.

Nationalize Google's search function because it allows them to exert an unhealthy amount of control over the Internet, and because they drove it into the ground with their AI poo poo. Nationalize Youtube for the same reason we nationalized Facebook; run it like a crowd-created PBS. Nationalize Gmail too I think, unless people get too worried about the government reading all their emails, in which case I guess just spin it off. Google Maps' value as a utility speaks for itself imo so nationalize that too.

Fully nationalize all ISPs obviously.

Everything else can probably just be hit with a big hammer and shattered into a million pieces IMO but if people really wanna nationalize everything full-stop I sure won't complain

No! Noo!!!! What about all the useless middlemen:qq:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

anonumos posted:

Smaller pieces grow back into bigger pieces and become new monopolies. :thunk:

The oligarchy really hates growth

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
CPI forecasts for tomorrow:

Economists anticipate the overall CPI reading for March to show that consumer prices rose 0.3% on a monthly basis, down from 0.4% growth in February, according to FactSet’s consensus estimates. However, the annual inflation rate is expected to rise to 3.4% from 3.2%. The report is scheduled to be released Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. EST.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Biplane posted:

No! Noo!!!! What about all the useless middlemen:qq:

They will be perfectly happy in their new role as public employees in the large bureaucracy that will be necessitated by these new government services :)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, oh, I almost forgot Uber! Don't nationalize or antitrust them, just loving shut them down. Shutter their doors. Sell their office chairs at auction.

e: the auctions would be on newly-nationalized eBay ofc

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Gonna pass by Pittsburgh today

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

loquacius posted:

Oh, oh, I almost forgot Uber! Don't nationalize or antitrust them, just loving shut them down. Shutter their doors. Sell their office chairs at auction.

Uber and Lyft are very useful services for the disabled if nothing else and in the absence of a national shutter service are unfortunately quite essential for a lot of people

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Business Gorillas posted:

YouTube finally killed my ad blocker. I was wasting so much drat time on there. I feel free 🥰

Anyone have recommendations for history/philosophy podcasts I can listen to while I paint tiny plastic men?

if you use ublock origins and Firefox and keep it updated you should be fine. the ublock Reddit is staying ontop of the big G and pwning them. if you ever need to find out the latest block status and how to get around it

anyways come post in the cspam podcast thread but off the top of my head, plastic pills is decent (but very dense) philosophy pod (but a bit too lib at times). Fall of Civillizations and radio war nerd are great history podcasts

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

If you're not listening to radiowarnerd you should be. Also Blowback. Don't know any other history pod I'd recommend without reservation.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Age of Napoleon and The Fall of Rome are great history pods

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

genericnick posted:

If you're not listening to radiowarnerd you should be. Also Blowback. Don't know any other history pod I'd recommend without reservation.

Tides of History is fun imo.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

genericnick posted:

people’s history of ideas is a little dry but really good

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/zhirji28/status/1777716197850554522?t=ruJSzwqECRxfc3oePbtIng

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Weird what happens when you include things that are specifically excluded.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

A national taxi service with app hailing is dope. The problem is the non-employees under girding the entire operation. Salaried drivers w/ bennies, sick days and a company owned fleet makes Uber work still. I'm sure it would still be profitable

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
taxis don’t reliably exist outside of a small number of areas. The use case for ride sharing is huge it just needs to not be run explicitly to gently caress over the drivers.

Also I don’t understand this trend the last few years of people doing the whole ableist argument thing to defend something they use rather than just defending it on its own merits.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Also I don’t understand this trend the last few years of people doing the whole ableist argument thing to defend something they use rather than just defending it on its own merits.

It's literally part of Uber's PR strategy, nevermind that they also spearhead defunding paratransit, anybody repeating it is a fuckwad

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
nationalize ubereats because sometimes im really drunk and need a cheese burger

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol CNN trying to soften the blow wrt the administrative state being dismantled

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/09/politics/sandra-day-oconnor-chevron-case/index.html

quote:

CNN

The newly opened papers of the late Justice Sandra Day O’Connor reveal the internal deliberations of a groundbreaking Supreme Court case that gave US regulators significant latitude to protect the environment and public health – and show how the ruling almost never happened.

The 40-year-old milestone, Chevron USA v. Natural Resources Defense Council, has become a target of the current Supreme Court and appears likely to be rolled back in a pair of pending cases this term.

I didn't need that clean air or water anyway

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

nationalizing ride sharing is dice clatter in background ableist, because leafing through rule book corporate ghouls need to extract the maximum possible fees from disabled people or they’ll die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted: