Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Makes u think….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheDoublePivot posted:

The what edits?

Someone merged a bunch of Ben Garrison cartoons into anti-Semitic cartoons by A Wyatt Mann and passed them off as Garrison's, leading to someone referring to him as Zyklon Ben. Garrison was incensed, but in the course of complaining he inadvertently demonstrated that they weren't an entirely inaccurate depiction of his views.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Makes u think….

is...is he saying that the government manufactured COVID-19 to spitefully prevent us from enjoying some unseasonably nice April weather, or is he saying the government manufactured the unseasonably nice weather because it somehow helped the lockdown to go ahead?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheDoublePivot posted:

The what edits?

Before he actually went down the far right pipeline and was just a weird libertarian, people started editing his comics to be overtly antisemitic and would then post furiously at him demanding he explained himself.

Obviously the edits were grossly offensive so I wasn't suggesting copying their extreme nature.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also suggests that the government can predict the weather months in advance. Presumably because they also control it using HAARP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

grobbo posted:

is...is he saying that the government manufactured COVID-19 to spitefully prevent us from enjoying some unseasonably nice April weather, or is he saying the government manufactured the unseasonably nice weather because it somehow helped the lockdown to go ahead?
Space Hebrews made April nice and got people confusing him with Joey off of Friends, very bad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe the weather was nice because all the horrible people like le Tissier were indoors and the sun wasn't frightened away by their ugly mug.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1777337403721617823
https://twitter.com/youth_demand/status/1777345177293627770

(Breaking news from yesterday)

:toot:

grobbo posted:

He seems to be implying both

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 9, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mediaphage posted:

the comments on that post are super weird. like sure id expect some kind of left / right antagonism but one goes straight to “makes you wonder how many in that room have sex with dogs.”

literally never in my life have i wondered that about anyone??

Barks jism conference

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

I got sent to a private hospital for urethral damage and they did very nice egg and cress sandwiches while I was laid up.

You know if you're looking for some urethral damage you don't need to go to hospital. Why there is someone in this very thread who can sort you out

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
ANYWAY. I came here to post something that wasn't about penises

The Economist has a good summary of the UK's housing crisis from the renter's perspective:

Two cities show the problems faced by Britain’s renters

Choice excerpts:

quote:

In the past two decades, the proportion of people renting privately has doubled, to one-fifth. In London it is one-third. As rents and house prices have climbed and mortgage terms tightened, private tenants have been trapped. More than half are over 35; almost 1m privately rented homes in England are headed by people aged over 55.

[...] tenants often have to put up with grotty homes and dodgy landlords.

quote:

This is partly a problem born of success. Lots of people want to live in a thriving global city; high immigration and the return of young people after the covid-19 pandemic have fuelled the surge. A strong labour market supports high rents.

But it also reflects decades of failure to build enough homes. In the 1930s an average of 61,000 a year were built in London. [...] London has not managed to build more than 40,000 homes in a single year since.

quote:

London’s renters also have weak protections. Housing policy is devolved, but in England tenancies tend to last six months or a year, after which landlords can kick tenants out with just two months’ notice without giving a reason, or raise the rent.

quote:

The Conservatives have been promising reform for eight years. Michael Gove, the housing secretary, has pledged to ban no-fault evictions, introduce rolling tenancies and create an ombudsman to resolve disputes. But with the legislation midway through Parliament, those plans are in doubt. Mr Gove faces stiff opposition from fellow Tory mps concerned that making tenancies more secure will put off landlords and further squeeze supply.

quote:

Policymakers in England could learn much—both what to do and what not to—by looking north, to Glasgow. Tenants there have long enjoyed better protection than those in London. Scotland banned no-fault evictions in 2017, but no exodus of landlords ensued; the private rented sector then grew faster than England’s.

quote:

What caused problems, however, was a rent freeze introduced in 2022 by the governing coalition of the Scottish National Party and the Greens. In the subsequent year rents rose faster in Scotland than in any other part of Britain. Many landlords in Glasgow either jacked up rents for new tenancies not covered by the freeze or took their properties off the market. London’s mayor, Sadiq Khan, has repeatedly called for powers to implement a rent freeze. Fortunately, the government has said no.

To ease pressure on renters, both cities ultimately need to build more housing.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
He made it to the new money, I wonder if he'll live to see them in circulation?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If there's someone you miss and wonder what happened to them, try to find them.

I just missed reconnecting with an old university friend by 16 weeks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Microplastics posted:

You know if you're looking for some urethral damage you don't need to go to hospital. Why there is someone in this very thread who can sort you out

I'm still convinced that there is a sounding curse itt because it remains incredibly unpleasant but now the woke NHS has prescribed me to do it for medical reasons

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Finally — you can do some Charlie with Charlie.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

keep punching joe posted:

He appears to be the king of *squints* Sugland

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

is that the actual untouched picture? does charles have a lazy eye that i’ve just never noticed before??

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Talking of which - are any of you on Unix making any sort of planning towards the Unix 'millenium bug' of 2038? Or has that potential problem all gone away?
14 years seems like a long time, but it isn't, really.

FB event in my Events list

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 9, 2024

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Microplastics posted:

Sound idea

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Starbucks posted:

Finally — you can do some Charlie with Charlie.

This is a good point. For the whole of my romance with cocaine I only tooted with one Monarch

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Way hey

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angrymog posted:

If there's someone you miss and wonder what happened to them, try to find them.

I just missed reconnecting with an old university friend by 16 weeks.

Oof, sorry to hear that. And a good point, there's some people I lost contact with during covid and hell, more before that too.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

I knew of the other edits but not these, thanks 🙏

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isomermaid posted:

He appears to be the king of *squints* Sugland

Can't believe king charles died of sugma.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
From a few pages back but it’s so funny it is worth sharing.

A few jobs back our CEO decided we needed to migrate our million customer MSSQL to MongoDB.

Well, it is funny now, kinda.

TRIXNET fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 9, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

They've had that picture lying in wait for 20 years. Charles hasn't had that much hair since then.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheDoublePivot posted:

I knew of the other edits but not these, thanks 🙏

With a little more time on my hands the KYM article actually does a decent job into how well 4chan trolled him into being mad on the internet about it https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/ben-garrison

Obviously beware there's some pretty horrible antisemitic tropes on the page.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/youth_demand/status/1777691848783319194
https://twitter.com/youth_demand/status/1777721949398892909

The replies are full of raging right wing and pro-zionist cunts, so these young people must be doing something right. All the power to them.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 9, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jedit posted:

They've had that picture lying in wait for 20 years. Charles hasn't had that much hair since then.

It's not like they kept his mother's portrait up-to-date.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Saw a Palestinian flag flying in a nearby village in N.I. , that was nice. :)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

In other screwing things up news, any handy folks here had to fix anything securely to a shite hollow door? I used spiral wall plugs like YouTube recommended and they ripped out. Is a coat rack and it always gets overloaded because I'm lazy.

Options are, more and different wall plugs. Or just bolt through the whole thing

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Talking of which - are any of you on Unix making any sort of planning towards the Unix 'millenium bug' of 2038? Or has that potential problem all gone away?
14 years seems like a long time, but it isn't, really.

No need to worry, some bloke called John Titor sorted the issue out.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mebh posted:

In other screwing things up news, any handy folks here had to fix anything securely to a shite hollow door? I used spiral wall plugs like YouTube recommended and they ripped out. Is a coat rack and it always gets overloaded because I'm lazy.

Options are, more and different wall plugs. Or just bolt through the whole thing

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Enough with the sounding chat

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

I gave up trying to screw things to hollow doors.
Now I use racks that hang over the top of the door.

Tsietisin posted:

No need to worry, some bloke called John Titor sorted the issue out.

Hm I am not convinced considering some of his other predictions!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 9, 2024

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

SpicePro posted:

From a few pages back but it’s so funny it is worth sharing.

A few jobs back our CEO decided we needed to migrate our million customer MSSQL DB to MongoDB.

Well, it is funny now, kinda.

truly the most unfortunate software name since the GNU Image Manipulation Program

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Get a tube of sticks like poo poo

Talking of poo poo, by-election coming up

Edit: clarify it will be after a bunch of stuff and suspension which likely to happen

Starbucks fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 9, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Starbucks posted:

Get a tube of sticks like poo poo

Talking of poo poo, by-election coming up

Edit: clarify it will be after a bunch of stuff and suspension which likely to happen

Wragg can sit as an independent unless a recall petition is issued or he is sentenced to prison for a year and a day.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Microplastics posted:

ANYWAY. I came here to post something that wasn't about penises

The Economist has a good summary of the UK's housing crisis from the renter's perspective:

Two cities show the problems faced by Britain’s renters

Choice excerpts:

quote:

London has not managed to build more than 40,000 homes in a single year

Wonder how many of those are sitting empty as "investments"?

Just Another Lurker posted:

Saw a Palestinian flag flying in a nearby village in N.I. , that was nice. :)

There's a lot up in shops round Walthamstow, which is nice to see. Round Woolwich they seem to mostly be in the windows of people's homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Mebh posted:

These:
https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/hollow-wall-anchors/cat7280101

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 9, 2024