Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

webmeister posted:

Nah these are PowerPoint slides, mostly with a headline, 1-2 sentences of commentary, then usually 1-3 data points (graphs, charts or small tables). Theyre all in ppt format, no images of charts or anything (which, yeah I wouldnt expect it to understand). I work in marketing, if that helps - these arent detailed technical slides.

This is using Copilot for Office, which at least according to the materials they gave us, was designed for these sorts of tasks. Summarise the content of my unread emails, create 5 PowerPoint slides based on this report, make it look casual kinda stuff.

Ah, Ok, cool. Sorry to be harsh. To be honest I have no idea how good Copilot is for anything really. I also have no idea if it can actually read a powerpoint file in a meaningful way. I know that MS has been shoehorning AI into everything lately with very mixed and disappointing results. For something like that you might want to try and extract them as images and feed them into GPT4 directly or Claude 3 which for a few messages is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

How much can you rely on LLM summarization for any business task of importance given how LLMs work? Seems like a tool that is really only good for idk bullshit could be fine stuff.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Insanite posted:

How much can you rely on LLM summarization for any business task of importance given how LLMs work? Seems like a tool that is really only good for idk bullshit could be fine stuff.

Depends on the model, the task and how important it is. You should never completely trust it especially when outside of its context window or trying to extrapolate, it is not a database nor does it think. I always verify the gist at the very least, treat it like a student helper. Always prompt for locations of what it's referencing and check them when working with larger document. If you work within its limitations and understand them it becomes a powerful tool.

Broad stroke summarization is pretty good with Opus.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tarkus posted:

Ah, Ok, cool. Sorry to be harsh. To be honest I have no idea how good Copilot is for anything really. I also have no idea if it can actually read a powerpoint file in a meaningful way. I know that MS has been shoehorning AI into everything lately with very mixed and disappointing results. For something like that you might want to try and extract them as images and feed them into GPT4 directly or Claude 3 which for a few messages is free.

All good, it was a semi-vague shitpost anyway :v:

We do use specific AI tools in related circumstances, like here is 10,000 customer feedback comments, divide them into positive/negative/neutral groups and identify the main themes, and itll give fairly decent results.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Blitter posted:

Congratulations on being the kind of credulous moron that assumes that a) you actually understand these topics b) the LLM is reliable and correct.

Hope you don't do anything important.

That's why, like some other Goon said many pages ago. You handle the INPUT as well as the output.

The more you know about a subject, the better the results turn out because you are able to tailor the specifics to create output that you know to be correct.

LLMs are completely useless if you don't already know what you're talking about what you're talking about, but they can save huge amounts of time for people who are already knowledgeable in a field.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Yesterday, i used chat gpt to make an animated intro for a logo on an oled screen that was running on an Arduino board.

Years back, i struggled to do this due to the line by line coding that was needed to create and animate it but chat gpt just banged it out.

I'm not sure if this is prophetic of the apocalypse, but it was handy.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Insanite posted:

Speaking on this I work pretty deep in data science and Tableau recently demoed their upcoming AI tool aimed at non analysts to quickly spin up charts and analysis and its going to gently caress up so many businesses lol

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Like in a way that takes away jobs or just bait for lazy people?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Rad-daddio posted:

Like in a way that takes away jobs or just bait for lazy people?

In that it will produce output that seems plausible to the clueless and the c-suites (i repeat myself) but is in fact a meaningless turd.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Nice

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

:emptyquote:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It makes higher ups salivate because now they think they could just feed their barely coherent ramblings into something that generates revenue without having to pay for engineers or r&d. Capitalism without the cost (other than human cost, but that's a depreciating asset).

When you get shitheads like Besos making small towns into essentially company towns for Amazon warehouses coupled with the unofficial official policy of firing people after a few years because maximum efficiency, it's clear what the end goal is.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Houle posted:

It makes higher ups salivate because now they think they could just feed their barely coherent ramblings into something that generates revenue without having to pay for engineers or r&d. Capitalism without the cost (other than human cost, but that's a depreciating asset).

When you get shitheads like Besos making small towns into essentially company towns for Amazon warehouses coupled with the unofficial official policy of firing people after a few years because maximum efficiency, it's clear what the end goal is.

Its amazing how the people that will argue against this assessment are usually people who are quick to tell you its a dog eat dog world and blah blah free market. As if its delusional to point out that the ultimate logical conclusion of unhinged plutocracy is for one dog to finally become the only and biggest and therefore be able to eat the entire world

naem
May 29, 2011

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just want one megacorp to go down in flames in a way that makes it extremely obvious the entire downfall was due to some dipshit saying lets use ai!

Just one example. One cautionary tale thatll make CEOs think twice.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

I just want one megacorp to go down in flames in a way that makes it extremely obvious the entire downfall was due to some dipshit saying lets use ai!

Sorry but that's not going to happen because AI is really good and rich people never make mistakes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Duck and Cover posted:

Sorry but that's not going to happen because AI is really good and rich people never make mistakes.

That's not true.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Gutcruncher posted:

This has already publicly happened multiple times and the result was that nobody in a position to gain from this knowledge cared so it will keep happening with bigger and bigger consequences met with greater and greater apathy

Hey on a completely unrelated note is cryptocurrency gone yet?

See

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ignore_Me posted:

This has already publicly happened multiple times and the result was that nobody in a position to gain from this knowledge cared so it will keep happening with bigger and bigger consequences met with greater and greater apathy

Hey on a completely unrelated note is cryptocurrency gone yet?

See

I mean pre-existing megacorp, lets say Amazon. I dont mean corporation that sprung up exclusively for a cryptoscam

Like a corporation that makes a bajillion dollars a day just out of nowhere vanishing because some dipshit says lets have chatgpt run customer service. What could go wrong??

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gutcruncher posted:

I mean pre-existing megacorp, lets say Amazon. I dont mean corporation that sprung up exclusively for a cryptoscam

Like a corporation that makes a bajillion dollars a day just out of nowhere vanishing because some dipshit says lets have chatgpt run customer service. What could go wrong??

You want an existing company that became a crypto scam? oh that's MSTR.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Gutcruncher posted:

Like a corporation that makes a bajillion dollars a day

I see. That definitely shrinks the sample size. I only have examples of it happening to preexisting companies that make majillions of dollars not bajillions.

For example the Kentucky JCPS school system contracted out their bus route optimization to a company that then decided to plug it into an automation tool and it ground the entire school system to a halt and caused chaos all over the city. Nobody gave a poo poo besides the common person watching in horror.

quote:

just out of nowhere vanishing because some dipshit says lets have chatgpt run customer service. What could go wrong??

Hasnt happened yet but it will and nobody will care enough to stop doing it until an entire economy gets crumpled by it.

I seem to remember speculation that one of the major scheduling database crashes (last year or year before) from one of the major airlines that completely hosed US domestic air travel for several days was due to attempts to automate the maintenance of its decrepit software system by using essentially an AI chatbot

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gutcruncher posted:

When a corporation is that size it's really hard for even the biggest dipshit to make a big enough mistake to kill it quickly.

Like, Boeing recently decided to stop bothering with the whole "fully assembled planes that can fly" thing that is kinda their main business. Somehow this won't kill them and people are still buying their planes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Houle posted:

There's already a whole lot of "ideas people" churning out AI-generated "ideas boards" and shoving them on production departments and going "Make it like that!"

Here's an opera company from LA which was bragging about bringing the director's "vision" and "unique perspective" to life

https://twitter.com/secondaryjess/status/1744921666788958568
https://twitter.com/secondaryjess/status/1744923037546270721

https://www.facebook.com/100079892251340/posts/pfbid02WjPNpAgoLaczPAZZAdsA1ijVnLkqB9UP9cCityvK3Eg4aTFsjjmsQYefkuydzSygl/

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Dunno if it's been posted yet, but worth repeating:

https://www.wheresyoured.at/bubble-trouble/

LLM-style AI is already at it's peak usefulness. All the information has been consumed, and the output is already getting worse.

Everything from here is based on vague promises of 'synthetic data' and computing breakthroughs that will not exist.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Get his rear end, Jess!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Failson posted:

LLM-style AI is already at it's peak usefulness. All the information has been consumed, and the output is already getting worse.

Everything from here is based on vague promises of 'synthetic data' and computing breakthroughs that will not exist.

Good article.

My thought is what most people are thinking/seeing is 'wow AI has come so far so fast, if progress continues at this rate then maybe we can have real AI soon'. Which ofc is misinformed for the reasons he describes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gutcruncher posted:

Either the megacorp is so large that they get 'too big to fail'd and bailed out by the government, or its small enough that people will say it's poor management, hence why that corporation wasn't even bigger.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Either the megacorp is so large that they get 'too big to fail'd and bailed out by the government, or its small enough that people will say it's poor management, hence why that corporation wasn't even bigger.

This. And even if it does fail it is eaten up by the even larger company.

Company man in YouTube covers a lot of these tales.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Stumbled across a video from a guy I watch sometimes. He tried to replicate that Devin developer AI video that's been going around, to poor result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmgmwEtoWE

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

Failson posted:

this article is like a cool drink of water on a hot day for me, thanks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's funny that there's just some underlying foundational and structural issues with how these LLMs work, and if you read the white papers they even acknowledge them as issues that they hope will be solved. Like, later. By someone else.

The mad dash to pushing AI to everything is they need to make their money now, because the "next step" in AI is essentially rebuilding from scratch, because these are issues no one can fix, because they struggle to identify why it even happens. It's inherent.

But you can't sell what you currently have if you acknowledge that, so they rely on a nebulous "it will definitely be fixed soon" to any issues.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
https://twitter.com/AngstHarrier/status/1777953128484384773

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syntaxfunction posted:

It's funny that there's just some underlying foundational and structural issues with how these LLMs work, and if you read the white papers they even acknowledge them as issues that they hope will be solved. Like, later. By someone else.

The mad dash to pushing AI to everything is they need to make their money now, because the "next step" in AI is essentially rebuilding from scratch, because these are issues no one can fix, because they struggle to identify why it even happens. It's inherent.

But you can't sell what you currently have if you acknowledge that, so they rely on a nebulous "it will definitely be fixed soon" to any issues.

I've seen governments do that for their longterm global warming goals, such as the Australian government's 2021 scheme for achieving zero emissions by 2050 where 70% of the planned emissions cuts will apparently happen via technology breakthroughs which don't currently exist.

Job well done, let's all gently caress off down the pub :thumbsup:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Most AI stuff sucks poo poo but this made me lol heartily

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

syntaxfunction posted:

It's such a whizzbang thing to see computer go whirr and tell you a story that we've forgotten some of our fundamental tech marketing filters.

If you want to replace all human artifice, or even just a lot of writing and art, with a robot whirring in the closet you're gonna be waiting for a completely different technological breakthrough. Otherwise there are surmountable engineering and business process problems the people selling the stuff will gloss over but are somewhat surmountable:
Public consumption models must be corralled with extra training and just hard exits. The corral will be broken, or the corral will stump the robot at which point a human still needs to step in.
Private consumption models must always be reviewed by a human.

There's also still very practical business steps to take with LLM development at the existing tech level like making ones that work as generally as GPT or Midjourney that aren't predicated on wide scale IP theft.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Lmfao

Finally a good use of AI

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I find most of these ai pictures have the same sort of old rubberized plastic look to them. Something feels off in that they look sort of too chunky in some areas but not in the way that most of us are chunky.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Elukka posted:

Yeah, that makes it apparent how incredibly unreliable it is. It will regularly fail at Wikipedia-tier knowledge that is right there in the training set and confidently hallucinate absolute nonsense. But it looks believable if you don't actually know the subject. Besides being fed AI nonsense directly, we're getting it second hand by people who take whatever it outputs at face value.

I really hate how "is this just AI output?" is something I have to increasingly think about everything. Images, soon video, any text or information. The AI industry is putting billions into eroding reality with convincing enough fakes.

It seems like every dance party or conference or basically any event now has some statement that goes like "Immerse yourself in the _______ of ________. Whether you ______, _______, or just want to __________, it's all available to you at ____________"

It would bother me less and I probably wouldn't notice it if it wasn't phrased so annoyingly twee

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys8-HwC77oU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

AEMINAL posted:

Lmfao

Finally a good use of AI

I glued my balls to my butt again is better IMO