Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bregor posted:

New market inefficiency will be failed infielders converting to pitching.

Worked for Doolittle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

you can't be a yankees/pats fan and be normal

The old red sox yankees games were great

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Story broke a bone in his shoulder which needs surgery so he's done for the season. Talk about snakebit.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone take Jose Cuas's UCL, he's not using it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only proposal I've seen is the double hook, where you lose your DH when you yank your starter, or yank him before certain thresholds. I don't think that's workable because every starter in the league has off days when they get chased early and when that happens, you are only further reducing the teams ability to come back. Also you'd just end up with you worst hitting guy DHing a lot and managers wouldn't have the flexibility to give a fielder the day off and let him DH.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fast Luck posted:

Teams all have MRI machines in their facilities now, can they just give pitchers scans after every game? Of course it seems like every time a guy with some wear on the elbow tries to rehab instead of surgery they end up still needing TJ

I don't think teams have MRIs, it's a lot more work to have one of them sitting around than an X-ray.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

zoux posted:

The only proposal I've seen is the double hook, where you lose your DH when you yank your starter, or yank him before certain thresholds. I don't think that's workable because every starter in the league has off days when they get chased early and when that happens, you are only further reducing the teams ability to come back. Also you'd just end up with you worst hitting guy DHing a lot and managers wouldn't have the flexibility to give a fielder the day off and let him DH.

The key to keeping pitchers healthy is to make them hit and run the bases again

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Jose Canseco tore his UCL pitching one single inning his whole career. You've got position players like Harper getting tommy john without ever pitching. Did he even pitch in high school?

Throwing a baseball is just bad for you. I bet I could go to the park and gently caress my whole arm up in an afternoon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

being anti pitch clock is certifiably insane.

Not if the umpires would enforce the goddamn rule that's been on the books for decades, saying that the batter must keep one foot in the box at all times.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It looks like a Moxies

Yeah now I wont be able to unsee it.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Remember when Jed traded a decent hitting prospect for Cuas.

Nelly Nukes is awesome and when he connects he hits massive dingers. He's currently got a 175 OPS+ which I'm sure is completely sustainable.

Bregor posted:

I had assumed Cuas was out of options but he's not! Send him to Iowa right meow. Need more Dick Lovelady in my life

lovely Royals castoff relievers is the new market inefficiency.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

zoux posted:

Ronel Blanco about to become the GOAT longevity guy

That's another thing Verlander talks about in the interview, that he can't open his instagram feed without seeing a million 12 year old kids being taught how to throw as hard as possible and he says that isn't how he came up. But he was also undrafted out of high school and didn't mature into his pitching body until college. But of course, you aren't going to make the majors these days unless you are going to Dr gently caress's SPIN Academy starting at age five.

There's something really grim about watching a sport turn into a child destroying machine in real time. It kind of reminds me of a less dramatic version of what happened in Russian women's figure skating, although this is obviously not nearly so dire right now.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Is 1.800 WHIP bad for a reliever? Asking for a friend. A friend named Jose Cuas.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
now while it's not optimal, it's also horrendous and their employer should probably consider releasing them before they do more harm, in this layman's opinion

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
During the whole sticky stuff kerfuffle I wondered if MLB could ration it or something so each team had a finite supply to use strategically over the course of a game, but I have no idea how that would work, and now I also am consumed with how much the Rogers Centre home plate looks like poo poo

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Gorman Thomas posted:

Bunch of bum flamethrowers can't hold a candle to ole Tyler Anderson

They're no Jaime Moyer

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

mycatscrimes posted:

There's something really grim about watching a sport turn into a child destroying machine in real time. It kind of reminds me of a less dramatic version of what happened in Russian women's figure skating, although this is obviously not nearly so dire right now.

It feels pretty similar to the NFL concussion thing, where the league/teams didn’t care because there were always more kids willing to throw themselves into the meat grinder in the hopes of life-changing money

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

zoux posted:

The DH shouldn't be able to be "lost"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MLB should just use the NPB ball but lol at MLB using a competently made ball

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

MLB should just use the NPB ball but lol at MLB using a competently made ball

Just wait until they introduce the Fanatics brand ball.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Furnaceface posted:

Just wait until they introduce the Fanatics brand ball.

In an ironic twist, they'd gently caress it up by making the balls harder to see

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paper Tiger posted:

In an ironic twist, they'd gently caress it up by making the balls harder to see

That will usher in the even live-r ball era

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nodoze posted:

The DH shouldn't be able to be "lost"

yea pitchers should have to hit and it shouldn't "exist" at all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There should be a DH for the catcher, as well.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

zoux posted:

There should be a DH for the catcher, as well.

I'll always love the trivia of the ws game I went to where dusty batted Maldonado in the 9 hole AFTER greinke lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bregor posted:

The key to keeping pitchers healthy is to make them hit and run the bases again
I've always hated that argument for the DH, that because every other season 1 pitcher breaks his ankle flukishly stepping a base that it's too dangerous for them to do things like "run," and then meanwhile 10000 pitchers are breaking their elbows throwing pitches

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Koufax swears that his arm was hosed up sliding into second.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

yea pitchers should have to hit and it shouldn't "exist" at all

Absolutely not

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1777754914439258593

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

zoux posted:

Koufax had degenerative arthritis I think?

Pitchers sometimes tear their shoulder lifting weights. It doesn't mean lifting weights is the cause of shoulder injuries.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If we got rid of guaranteed contracts these soft players may play through light pain or mild inflammation. Maybe?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Josiah Gray was scratched from his start tonight and put on the IL with.... do I even need to say it

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

Josiah Gray was scratched from his start tonight and put on the IL with.... do I even need to say it

diarrhea?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

I would not recommend starting the first guy who answers the phone when you call your AAA affiliate.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Is 1.800 WHIP bad for a reliever? Asking for a friend. A friend named Jose Cuas.

it's worse if you're european

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is a 135.00 ERA bad for a starter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s not a bad era+

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

Carlos Hernandez's career was basically ended by loving up his throwing shoulder sliding into second base :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel really bad for the kid but also I cannot believe that the Astros came back from that on the strength of the bullpen blanking the defending world champs who have been murdering us all week

e:https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1777794714260869454

I had no idea Wander Suero was on the team

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trevor Story officially out for the year with shoulder surgery