Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

If I had SotN in 1997 I would've played it non loving stop

i did own sotn in 1997 and i did exactly that. absolutely blew my ten year old mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is an absolute masterpiece. Its actually the last of the Igavania's I played because I played it on the 360 laffo and it still shone through.

Do you mean optional dungeons or post game dungeons or something like roguelike dungeons?

If its just weird optional dungeons its very divisive in so far as "is it fun" goes but FFXV's hellish platforming secret dungeon definitely sticks out for me as a truly different kind of secret dungeon in a JRPG from the last decade.

I was thinking either of the former two types, and cool examples are interesting to me: I just personally vibe with wrought atmospheres lol. FFXV having a platforming bonus dungeon is something I didn't expect to hear! Like, it tests your movement in the open world? That's sick.

Clarste posted:

Etrian Odyssey postgame dungeons have eerie nailed down.

I've always wanted to try the EO games, but they've intimidated me based on reputation alone. Now that I'm more experienced, I'll look into them. The class system seems super fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just learned about Islands of the Caliph and I was going to slam buy it but the dev is apparently not fooling around with their "keyboard only" vision for the game so time to see if I can trick their game before buying it.

Blue Labrador posted:

I was thinking either of the former two types, and cool examples are interesting to me: I just personally vibe with wrought atmospheres lol. FFXV having a platforming bonus dungeon is something I didn't expect to hear! Like, it tests your movement in the open world? That's sick.

It tests your movement in a special combatless all platforming dungeon in a game which otherwise has incredibly minimal platforming. To make it stand out more, its not easy, incredibly long, and in oppressive darkness.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 9, 2024

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

EightFlyingCars posted:

i did own sotn in 1997 and i did exactly that. absolutely blew my ten year old mind

Me and a friend of mine got it at roughly the same time when I was 8 or 9, and he was always the type to lie about videogame bullshit (such as the mew truck) so when he came in to school one day raving about the inverted castle I just went "Sure, buddy, sure." and straight up didn't believe him until one day I was at his house and he showed it to me and my mind was BLOWN. God, SotN owns so much.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Infinity Gaia posted:

Me and a friend of mine got it at roughly the same time when I was 8 or 9, and he was always the type to lie about videogame bullshit (such as the mew truck) so when he came in to school one day raving about the inverted castle I just went "Sure, buddy, sure." and straight up didn't believe him until one day I was at his house and he showed it to me and my mind was BLOWN. God, SotN owns so much.
Yeah, the inverted castle sounds like something that you'd hear on the playground but it's the Castlevania equivalent of the OG Zelda second quest, where they had a surfeit of space on the game's storage medium so they just went "gently caress it, let's make a whole new area".

Even with that SOTN is on the small side for a PlayStation game IIRC.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Minus the FMVs and including some occasionally hosed up sound it fit on a 360 memory card which I think were 64 MB?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is de sade canon to disney

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gawrsh sora a new world just appeared lets go *120 DAYS OF SODOM title card appears*

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Minus the FMVs and including some occasionally hosed up sound it fit on a 360 memory card which I think were 64 MB?

wasn't SOTN the first game to break the xbla size limit?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

gawrsh sora a new world just appeared lets go *120 DAYS OF SODOM title card appears*

Credit where credit is due: it was better than Deep Jungle. But still, I thought the Circle of poo poo world was a bit gratuitous.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Iirc yes, because they were limited to 50mb initially because dumb

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah the 50MB download limit lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
also I think the xbla version is missing the end song lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

also I think the xbla version is missing the end song lol

Yet tragically is the only one playable on modern hardware that has a miserable pile of secrets.

Also for some reason I vaguely recall the red skeleton and only the red skeleton's sound file is removed and replaced with a duplicate sound in the xbla release which is probably a made up rumor but I like to imagine a desperate konami staffer looking for the last spare kilobyte to sneak in under the file size.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Barudak posted:

I just learned about Islands of the Caliph and I was going to slam buy it but the dev is apparently not fooling around with their "keyboard only" vision for the game so time to see if I can trick their game before buying it.

It's not actually that bad if you rebind the keys, but I have no idea what the hell the dev was thinking with those defaults. Aside from the inventory screen there's not much about the game where a mouse comes that handy.

That said, I'd temper your expectations with it. It's...OK, but not all that great a game. It nails the setting and atmosphere but the central gameplay loop is pretty basic. Stats basically do nothing and your combat ability relies 95% on your gear, and combat is a very simple "block, then attack" loop. I will say that turning the 5 pillars of Islam into gameplay mechanics is novel. But other than that it's kind of shallow.

Also worth mentioning is that it feels like kind of a missed opportunity in that despite the advertising there's very little actual Middle Eastern folklore of note. It's a middle-eastern themed game taking place on islands, and you're not going to include anything from the stories of Sindbad's voyages? (except a single roc I guess) The advertised Islamic spiritual tradition is there in spades though, to the point that it almost feels like "Convert to Islam: The Game." It's setting appropriate and it's not as bad as those terrible Bible games from the 90s and 00s but there are a few times it feels awfully close to preaching directly at you rather than the in-game character you're controlling. It didn't bother me at all but I definitely see how it could be a little off-putting to some.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thanks for the heads up and thorough notes. It sounds like something Id really dig, even your warning regarding the lack of using the setting to its most mythical, but Im concerned the key-bind tricks to get it to work on my portable device wont work so Im holding off until Im empty on games.

In Alphadia Neo Ive seen something Ive never seen before. If you go as fast as you can after a battle ends into the next one, battle->world map->battle, you can be fast enough that loot dropping animations from the previous fight are still resolving while a new one starts. I think that means somewhat cleverly it has the random battle zone fully loaded while wandering a dungeon or world map and then just camera swaps to it when you hit a fight, but it was still kind of neat to see it in action.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
SotN is cool and all

But Order of Ecclesia is the one I end up coming back to the most out of the IGAvanias. Just so much goofy poo poo and references, it’s great

Dracula doesn’t even do his transforming bullshit, he just becomes Rugal from King of Fighters

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

MechaX posted:

Dracula doesn’t even do his transforming bullshit, he just becomes Rugal from King of Fighters

OoE is the only IGAvania I've yet to play and this alone sold me on it. That's everything I've ever wanted out of Dracula.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
he does a genocide cutter?!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dracula's "transformation" in OoE is to turn sideways and actually walk towards you in the most menacing way

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Snooze Cruise posted:

he does a genocide cutter?!

Yes actually

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Shanoa has a basic spell that is just Geese/Rock Howard’s reppuken (equip them to both hands and it’s double reppuken, do the union spell super, it’s Raging Storm)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 9, 2024

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Barudak posted:

I posted about Islands of the Caliph earlier in this thread, and I did not finish it, but I feel in retrospect that the thing that convinced me NOT to finish it was very funny. It's a pretty good time if you are down for retro action-DRPGS. I recommend reading the manual before you start.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

This is kinda understandable RPG definitions aside. Cause Nintendo went from having one of the absolute best platforms for the genre to a platform where the genre is almost entirely absent. In that context I could see how Quest 64 existing could feel like a slap in the face to some people in particular.

I rented Quest 64 twice from Blockbuster because the first time I figured "there's no way this is this bad I must be doing something wrong". Felt pretty stupid returning it the second time.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

There was an RPG called Aidyn Chronicles on N64 that I liked because it was the only RPG I ever found on the N64 at EB.

It’s not great, but it’s ok.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I remember the lack of RPGs on the N64 is what led me to get a PS1 back in the day. Went to the store to buy a N64 and left with a PS1, Suikoden, and Persona 1. What a flip.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
N64 just had a games problem for a while. I remember getting one at launch as a Christmas gift and trading it around New Year's '98 cause in all that time the only games I cared enough to pick up were Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Diddy Kong Racing. 's true it never, ever really got there for RPGs tho.

Got a PS1, Street Fighter Collection, and a weeks-early copy of Final Fantasy Tactics from a Funcoland as well as Castlevania SotN and FF7 from a friend who was looking to offload his PS1 library and only really felt any remorse at all when Smash and Ogre Battle 64 hit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nintendo really hosed it that generation, clinging on to old habits while the rest of the world moved on to optical storage.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Mr. Locke posted:

N64 just had a games problem for a while. I remember getting one at launch as a Christmas gift and trading it around New Year's '98 cause in all that time the only games I cared enough to pick up were Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Diddy Kong Racing. 's true it never, ever really got there for RPGs tho.

Got a PS1, Street Fighter Collection, and a weeks-early copy of Final Fantasy Tactics from a Funcoland as well as Castlevania SotN and FF7 from a friend who was looking to offload his PS1 library and only really felt any remorse at all when Smash and Ogre Battle 64 hit.

You're basically right in the big picture - N64 definitely had relatively few games in that time period, while the PS1 was getting truly classic games on an almost monthly basis. (Seriously, look at Squaresoft's releases in the year 2000 alone.)

But I do think you were/are overlooking a surprising amount of good N64 games. Both N64 Zeldas, Rogue Squadron, Shadowgate 64, Goldeneye, Turok (at least the first two), Paper Mario, and Shadowman were all good titles for the system. Also the criminally underrated Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
That’s like all of them though.

Throw in Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Pokémon Snap/Stadium That’s the whole library

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Woah woah... Shadows of the Empire was baller just for the Hoth level alone.

I think there was a PC version too but I know nothing about the turn if the millennium PC game scene so maybe it was an entirely different version idk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

That’s like all of them though.

Throw in Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Pokémon Snap/Stadium That’s the whole library

What about Ogre Battle 64?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tequila Bob posted:

You're basically right in the big picture - N64 definitely had relatively few games in that time period, while the PS1 was getting truly classic games on an almost monthly basis. (Seriously, look at Squaresoft's releases in the year 2000 alone.)

But I do think you were/are overlooking a surprising amount of good N64 games. Both N64 Zeldas, Rogue Squadron, Shadowgate 64, Goldeneye, Turok (at least the first two), Paper Mario, and Shadowman were all good titles for the system. Also the criminally underrated Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness.

Yeah, but almost all those hit after early '98. The only ones before that were Goldeneye and Turok and neither of those are poo poo to someone who had access to half-decent PC with an Internet connection and Quake.

The first 18 months or so of the were pretty dire.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

What about Ogre Battle 64?

Yeah you shouldn't forget this one. It was legitimately one of the best rpgs of the era and definitely one of the best N64 games of any genre.

It would be nice if we eventually see a remaster of it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I remember having a lot of trouble with Shadows of the Empire as my first console game because getting past the Hoth level and starting the game proper was fairly difficult (maybe because I was small).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the n64 is one of my favorite consoles. that means it was a horrible idea executed bizarrely that had a lot of great games but half of them are completely unknown because peoples' parents bought them earthworm jim 3d instead. i'm grateful to the n64's existence because without the inexplicable choices it made we would be missing an entire chunk of important cultural memory and weird video game aesthetic influence

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
without the N64 that one alex g song would have to be called something different

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
If anything n64 games is credited with Zelda, Mario and goldeneye gonna be speedrun for eternity

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It wasn't just the fact that the N64 used carts that caused Japanese developers to flee to the Playstation and the Saturn. It was the fact Sony and Sega cut per disc was lower than what N64 wanted to make off each cart and Sony also in Japan was able to spin up reprints in a week at a much lower number so companies had much easier inventory management. And Nintendo just kept with it's cart policy in Japan despite this cause Nintendo gonna Nintendo. If they probably ended up being more open I could of seen more companies still making games for the platform

Its also the reason why despite the Gamecube going optical a lot of the Japanese publishers didn't end up going back. They didn't trust Nintendo or Yamauchi at all especially since the disc was proprietary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
That makes the n64 and GameCube discs the most collectible though