Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Zimi masks look interesting for those who prefer earloops, I'll order some as soon as I figure out how.

https://twitter.com/CriticalAerosol/status/1775606359339512160

https://twitter.com/CriticalAerosol/status/1766936924261130578

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Weirdest mask-related heckle to date, while in line for the checkout: "You'll get sick wearing a mask - you keep breathing in your own germs." Apparently she got sick wearing a mask, but for a lot of people that's anything from an N95 to a baggy blue under the nose to a bandanna held vaguely near the face. Sometimes I answer people's questions about it (tldr: immunocompromised and have vulnerable family members) but between the above and her telling me earnestly that N95's are "the worst" it wasn't worth it. It might explain why more people seem to cough and sneeze without covering it now though*, because if someone's peddling the idea that "breathing in your own germs" makes you sick, they could also claim you can get better by breathing them all over everyone else.

*Could be me noticing it more. Also could be backlash against being told what to do, a sort of "revenge contagion" if you will

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well you see if you redirected your car's exhaust inside the cabin that'd be bad, and your body is exactly the same as a car so the car's exhaust is the same as your breath so .......

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I don't think there's any thought or logic behind anyone's actions. It's just "I don't feel like wearing a mask" and that's that. And if they're in a situation where they feel the need to defend that and/or feel like getting aggressive towards someone making a different, better decision, they'll just spout some bullshit they heard once that's rattling around in their brain somewhere. They don't actually believe in anything (other than the right to do whatever they feel like at all times).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah we've already put more thought into that bullshit argument these last few posts than they have

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Livo posted:

Not an precise checklist of treatments per se, but the current Australian education for allied health is to follow similar treatment/exercise protocols for ME/CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome). Keep in mind the Australian approach is NOT the same as UK or North American attitudes on CFS!. Our knowledge & treatment of ME/CFS is still very limited & poor, but Australia is much more on the ball compared to other countries.

The Victorian government page, which also covers Long Covid is a good overview & talks about how physical exhaustion can be very different for different people. Emerge is a good Aussie advocacy resource, which also covers Long Covid links & how to explain ME/CFS symptoms to others.

I'll quote part of my original post: We were taught the "Letter/Envelope Theory" basically, at the start of the week, a ME/CFS patient has only a limited amount of endurance (cash in a letter) that they have to use for the entire week, and this encompasses all forms of physical activity (daily chores like shopping, cleaning) and exercise (structured planned workouts). If you do a fair amount of physical activity for daily tasks or do a hard workout in one day, that'll use up most of the money in the letter, which you then have to live off for the rest of the week.

thank you very much kind person !

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Franks Happy Place posted:

China used less effective domestic vaccines

Stopped reading.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Platystemon posted:

Stopped reading.

I'm sorry that reality hurts your feelings because it conflicts with your politics or whatever this is, but it's true all the same.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Franks Happy Place posted:

I'm sorry that reality hurts your feelings because it conflicts with your politics or whatever this is, but it's true all the same.

no u

quote:

We examined the incidence of COVID-19 infection and severe disease during the study period from 1 October to 21 November 2021

Using pre-Omicron data to predict post-Omicron outcomes is the height of folly, or else malice.

We have direct comparison of efficacy versus Omicron available in Hong Kong, where people were largely infection-naive prior to Omicron and both Chinese and foreign vaccines were widely deployed.

I don’t disagree that vaccines based on inactivated virus were less effective than spike-presenting types (mostly mRNA and adenovirus vector) against wildtype, Alpha, Delta, and the also-rans, but that gap vanished with Omicron. They all sank to the same floor.

China securing mRNA vaccines wouldn’t have made a lick of difference. Millions still die.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!

Gildiss posted:

Dick Zout for the fallen.

lol that this here is truly all they get

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Goddamn Particle posted:

Weirdest mask-related heckle to date, while in line for the checkout: "You'll get sick wearing a mask - you keep breathing in your own germs."

This is amazing. Just in awe of the logic.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nice, nice. In order to help the dairy and beef industry from the public concerns about bird flu spreading through the cows, they came up with a brilliant move

https://www.bovinevetonline.com/news/industry/aabp-decides-reference-cattle-disease-bovine-influenza-virus-biav

quote:

On Sunday evening, the American Association of Bovine Practitioners (AABP), released a letter to its media partners to update them on how the organization will reference the emerging cattle disease, currently confirmed in dairy herds in six states, moving forward.

"Because this infection in cattle is not the same as highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI), after thoughtful consideration and discussion with many experts, the AABP will now refer to this as Bovine Influenza A Virus (BIAV), which more accurately depicts it," wrote Geni Wren, director of marketing and communications for the organization, in an email accompanying the letter.

The letter was developed and signed by AABP executive director, Fred Gingrich, DVM, and president Michael Capel, DVM.

Gingrich and Capel are asking other organizations, state animal health officials, diagnostic labs, and state and federal agencies to use Bovine Influenza A Virus (BIAV) "so we can be consistent with our messaging and better distinguish the disease syndrome in cattle from the pathogenesis in birds. We believe it is important for the public to understand the difference to maintain confidence in the safety and accessibility of beef and dairy products for consumers," they wrote.

Just rename the bird flu to something else! No more bird flu in the cows :downs:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Don't worry bro, it's just the moo flu

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I see talk about “maintaining confidence” and nothing about controlling the spread of disease

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I see talk about “maintaining confidence” and nothing about controlling the spread of disease
I remain confident that disease will keep spreading

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BIAV deez nuts.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

BIAV deez nuts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/bnofeed/status/1777506244577603607?s=46

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

-5, disinformation (It's BIAV now)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

BIAV just doesn't roll off the tongue the way BOVID does

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

public relations is a lot cheaper and easier than public health and they serve the same purpose, i dont see the problem

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease-outbreak-news/item/2024-DON512

quote:

WHO assesses the public health risk to the general population posed by this virus to be low and for occupationally exposed persons, the risk of infection is considered low-to-moderate.

Moderate eh?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
:dogstare:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wait I missed this from that report

quote:

Between 9 February 2022 to 29 March 2024, more than 8000 people were actively monitored in the United States following exposure to animals presumed to be infected with HPAI A(H5N1) viruses.

That's, uhhh, more possible exposures than I thought. And we're just finding out about them now.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This is the mild highly pathogenic avian influenza, the one you want to get

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If we had a functional government, they probably would have banned feeding chicken poop to cows by now

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chamale posted:

If we had a functional government, they probably would have banned feeding chicken poop to cows by now

Not feeding poop to animals is wokeism.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This article isn't anything new for this thread but I think it puts things together in a relatively compact way how tons of people have fully embraced eugenics https://www.thegauntlet.news/p/liberals-joined-conservatives-to

quote:

The story of COVID normalization is ultimately a story of breaking solidarity. We went from embracing a social model of public health that prioritized the safety of vulnerable people as the greatest priority, to one that explicitly denies them safety and promotes harming them. In essence, public health itself, the concept of collectively combatting disease for the collective benefit of all, is what we’ve lost. It’s been replaced by a cruel, sadistic, eugenicist program of deliberate elimination of the weak as a named and accepted cost of abandoning all attempts to control COVID.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chamale posted:

I didn't know about this lmfao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Shiroc posted:

This article isn't anything new for this thread but I think it puts things together in a relatively compact way how tons of people have fully embraced eugenics https://www.thegauntlet.news/p/liberals-joined-conservatives-to

Thanks, this is fantastic. Definitely going to throw this one at people.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

but is it..... mild?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Shiroc posted:

guessed julia doubleday before even clicking the link and was correct. she's real good

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
hi. trying to come up for air. the booster rec — has anyone tried to go out for more Novavax >4 months after the fall one?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Petey posted:

hi. trying to come up for air. the booster rec — has anyone tried to go out for more Novavax >4 months after the fall one?

I haven't, but from stories it seems like it all depends on the pharmacy you go to. It's all self attestation at this point. And most insurance seems to cover it if you get it. But *some* pharmacists want to give people the "Are you immune compromised? In what way and to what extent?" treatment.

Many places don't seem to be re-ordering novavax, and current stock is expiring. So yah, maybe try to get it now if you're thinking about it.

Personally I have a big trip coming up in about 3 months, so was hoping to wait another 2-ish before re-upping. Hopefully can still get it then!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Baddog posted:

I haven't, but from stories it seems like it all depends on the pharmacy you go to. It's all self attestation at this point. And most insurance seems to cover it if you get it. But *some* pharmacists want to give people the "Are you immune compromised? In what way and to what extent?" treatment.

Many places don't seem to be re-ordering novavax, and current stock is expiring. So yah, maybe try to get it now if you're thinking about it.

Personally I have a big trip coming up in about 3 months, so was hoping to wait another 2-ish before re-upping. Hopefully can still get it then!

thanks. i have trips in may, june, and july, so even though i plan to mask and have a box of pax on hand, i thought i might as well get another booster. i'll see what i can do the next time i go to costco.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Petey posted:

I posted my trip report earlier in the thread but the tl;dr is I got Novavax in February after getting a Moderna booster in September. I did it at Costco, didn't lie or anything and they gave me the shot no problem. My insurance covered it (jury is out on whether my insurance will cover this fall's booster....assuming there is one)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

NeonPunk posted:

Nice, nice. In order to help the dairy and beef industry from the public concerns about bird flu spreading through the cows, they came up with a brilliant move

https://www.bovinevetonline.com/news/industry/aabp-decides-reference-cattle-disease-bovine-influenza-virus-biav

Just rename the bird flu to something else! No more bird flu in the cows :downs:

There's basically no chance that the cheese/sour cream/yogurt/whatever culturing processes are gonna kill this poo poo, right?

I'm avoiding any kind of dairy that hasn't had the (chicken) poo poo cooked out of it right now, but it'd be nice to, I dunno, have some tacos or something with some cheese on 'em and not have to worry about getting the loving bird flu.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

There's basically no chance that the cheese/sour cream/yogurt/whatever culturing processes are gonna kill this poo poo, right?

I'm avoiding any kind of dairy that hasn't had the (chicken) poo poo cooked out of it right now, but it'd be nice to, I dunno, have some tacos or something with some cheese on 'em and not have to worry about getting the loving bird flu.

A lot of cheese is made with ultra pasteurized milk which is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder whether the viral load is in the milk from a sick cow and how infectious it'd be by the time it got to the consumer. We are talking lots of potential heating, mechanical/chemical processing, and storage steps here.