Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

David Squires:

Ah the Good Ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Douglas Adams posted:

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Tom Stiglich

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

lol

I think Branco had fun drawing that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

Sounds like he's admitting brain damage makes you conservative

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Hey Branco, you know what would piss me off, own the poo poo out of me and make me regret ever being born? Universal healthcare. Yes sir mister Branco, your side advocating for that would totally expose what a disingenuous liberal I am and nothing would make me froth at the mouth more than the Republicans being the ones to pick up this very popular win. If you were really devious, you could pay for it with ridiculous tax penalties and fines for all those Deep State Swamp billionaires breaking the law that'll be run straight out of Washington on account of no longer existing. Oh, what a victory lap Trump could take then! Please don't do this. Sincerely, a Radical Leftist too extreme for the Democrat Party

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 9, 2024

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

Australia, US and UK confirm Japan could be brought into AUKUS fold on eve of Kishida's Washington visit (ABC). Before AUKUS and before France we were originally going to buy submarines from Japan so it is all coming round again.

Knight:

Golding:

Spooner:

I'm guessing Australian renewable sector recorded ‘alarming’ slowdown in 2023, energy body finds (Guardian) but that was a month ago so it could just be Spooner.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I was going to say that Ishida was taking the “terf to Nazi pipeline” a touch too literally, but Rowling is denying the Nazis burning the Sexology institute in the 30s sooooo maybe not.

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

The Republican Party should have brought a weapon that does bludgeoning damage. An Ooze Cartoon.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

I was going to say that Ishida was taking the “terf to Nazi pipeline” a touch too literally, but Rowling is denying the Nazis burning the Sexology institute in the 30s sooooo maybe not.

Look we can't know they burned gender research because all those books were burned so who knows what was in them, maybe they were cookbooks and there was nothing transphobic about the whole thing

(actual TERF argument about this)

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

drat, that's news to me. Remarkable coincidence how people who deny atrocities are always the exact kind of people who are pretty on board with the specific atrocity they're denying having happened

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

But what does the hat represent??

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Adam Zyglis

Amjad Rasmi

Bill Bramhall

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Billionaires deserve to be thrown from airplanes. A revolutionary cartoon.

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Patrick Chappatte

Pedro X. Molina

Phil Hands

Rivers

"If Biden's first term hasn't wrecked the country, why do i keep saying that it has?"

Robert (R.J.) Matson

Walt Handelsman

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

The state overruling the healthcare of the individual sounds pretty bad, yeah.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Home Invasion, 1947

Ted Rall posted:

If someone breaks into your house, are you churlish for refusing to share? That’s the accusation lodged against Palestinians who never accepted the establishment of the State of Israel on their land in 1947.

First Dog on the Moon: Are you sick of rich people hoarding empty houses? Somebody should do something - no not like that!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Bitter old man ranting about how kids these days want to work collaboratively to achieve goals.
God I'll be happy when he kicks off but I know it'll be a long time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Home Invasion, 1947

Um, weren't most of Israel's Jewish population in 1947 also natives of the region making this a rather dishonest framing of events surrounding partition?

EDIT: gently caress Netanyahu and gently caress the ongoing genocide in Gaza, just in case I hadn't made that clear.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 10, 2024

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Kellies Nominations: Most "Kids these days", Most Bigoted (LGBT+)

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

"Kids these days need to really get a grip on pronouns!" says someone from a generation that cannot use they/them pronouns for someone to save their loving life. "Er, uh, them went to the grocery store" c'mon you can try a little harder, I know you can do it.

(Yes I know that's not the intent of this cartoon but I'm still bitter about it.)

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Bitter old man ranting about how kids these days want to work collaboratively to achieve goals.
God I'll be happy when he kicks off but I know it'll be a long time.

Skelley really does seem like a genuinely miserable person.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

"Kids these days need to really get a grip on pronouns!" says someone from a generation that cannot use they/them pronouns for someone to save their loving life. "Er, uh, them went to the grocery store" c'mon you can try a little harder, I know you can do it.

(Yes I know that's not the intent of this cartoon but I'm still bitter about it.)

Singular "they" has been kicking around in English since the 14th century. It's a completely affected inability to use it properly. I have yet to find someone who doesn't use it correctly in casual conversation all the time, especially possessives and reflexives. People like to make a big show, but if you just wait until they're discussing an unidentified stranger, they use it effortlessly.

Unless they actually have a full grammaticality judgement failure every time they hear "themself" (note the overt singular!), they're just being an rear end in a top hat. For reference, that should be about as bad as "who do you wonder whether if that that John kissed?".

People have precisely zero self-awareness of how they talk unless they've had it formally taught to them and they've had a bunch of practice. Usually their self-assessments are laughably, hilariously wrong. Yes, that applies to you reading this too.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Um, weren't most of Israel's Jewish population in 1947 also natives of the region making this a rather dishonest framing of events surrounding partition?

EDIT: gently caress Netanyahu and gently caress the ongoing genocide in Gaza, just in case I hadn't made that clear.

No - there had been a campaign since before the Balfour Declaration in 1917 to support Jewish people buying land and moving to Israel; much of the land bought was from Ottoman landlord living well away from then-Palestine and so there’s certainly an argument to be made that the Jewish settlers spent thirty years bringing in people from outside of Palestine and displacing Palestinians who had absolutely no say in the matter. Very few of the Jewish people in the new state of Israel in 1948 had lived there their entire lives.

Specifically, from https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/israelstudies.23.3.14#:~:text=The%20state%20of%20Israel%20was,Jewish%20people%20in%20the%20world. - only 35% of Israelis in 1948 are estimated to have been native born.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 10, 2024

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Guavanaut posted:

it's just straight up "calmhitler.jpg"

"look, alll i want to do is divide human rights into balkanized states to weaken the federal structure and hurt women across the country no matter the state they live in. looks like you got some growing up to do"
*democrat foams and screams in tongues*

and no one thinks he's a dictator for that stance, he's an empty suit, a willing fool, a useful tool for the worst people, the same thing he's been his entire life, but not a dictator. at least not for this. he's not smart enough to take a dictatorial position on the issue. honestly it would rev up his base if he "came out" as anti-choice and probably gain him some votes. but trump's a bone coward and idiot.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

First of all, gently caress you.

Second, this doesn’t even make sense.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Less competitive Scrabble sounds like how my mom would play Scrabble with me when i was six and we just didn't keep score, and I actually didn't realise for years that wasn't how most people played.

Skelley clearly thinks this was a bad thing.

I would kick his rear end at Scrabble.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isn't actual competitive Scrabble very cutthroat and actively encourages dishonesty-if-not-outright-cheating?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Randalor posted:

Isn't actual competitive Scrabble very cutthroat and actively encourages dishonesty-if-not-outright-cheating?

Optimize any competition enough and this happens. This unassuming article makes it sound like there have to be quite a few funny stories since those involved have the right mix of low-level mania and elite focus. :allears:

quote:

In the latter category, a top expert named Josh Sokol mentioned that Anderson had missed a crazy play: HIGHVELD. Anderson was competing in a division that uses the international English word list, which is based on the British dictionary Collins. With 281,698 acceptable words from two to 15 letters long, the Collins list is more expansive than the North American list under which I was competing, which contains 192,111 words. Among the many differences: a bunch of words from Afrikaans, like highveld, which the Dictionary of South African English defines as “the inland plateau of southern Africa.”

With its unusual mix of low-frequency letters—both H’s from the pool of 100 Scrabble tiles, one of the two V’s, one of the three G’s, and one each of the four D’s and four L’s—HIGHVELD is extremely unlikely to show up in a game. There are 42,150 eight-letter words in the Collins lexicon. HIGHVELD ranks as the 37,662nd most probable. Using various sites and software, serious Scrabble players study words based on the ranked likelihood that they’ll be drawn from a full bag of tiles. So, from a study perspective, there are 37,661 eight-letter Collins words more useful to learn than HIGHVELD—that is, more likely to materialize during a game.

That’s a poo poo-ton of words to learn. Only the very top players get that far down the list, and can look at that particular group of letters arranged alphabetically—DEGHHILV—and unscramble the word instantly. Anderson is one of those players. He told me later that he had definitely seen HIGHVELD before: “I’ve seen every word at least once.”

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on politicians tying themselves in knots while the climate crisis intensifies – Record-breaking hot months are stacking up. Meanwhile, British politicians continue to tie each other, and themselves, in knots"

Telegraph:

Cameron warns US over blocked Ukraine aid

Matt:

William Wragg resigns from 1922 committee amid Westminster honeytrap scandal

Times:

David Cameron meets Donald Trump in push for US aid to Ukraine

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Optimize any competition enough and this happens. This unassuming article makes it sound like there have to be quite a few funny stories since those involved have the right mix of low-level mania and elite focus. :allears:

I meant more along the lines of "Intentionally playing a fake word and leaving off the S, then challenging the word when the opponent plays an S" levels of dishonesty-to-outright-cheating. That article just involves dark sorcery and scares me as well.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Skelley really does seem like a genuinely miserable person.

Absolutely. Just read his Dustin comic strip, and you can tell that the dad is basically SKelley's avatar.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

skeleton warrior posted:

No - there had been a campaign since before the Balfour Declaration in 1917 to support Jewish people buying land and moving to Israel; much of the land bought was from Ottoman landlord living well away from then-Palestine and so there’s certainly an argument to be made that the Jewish settlers spent thirty years bringing in people from outside of Palestine and displacing Palestinians who had absolutely no say in the matter. Very few of the Jewish people in the new state of Israel in 1948 had lived there their entire lives.

Specifically, from https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/israelstudies.23.3.14#:~:text=The%20state%20of%20Israel%20was,Jewish%20people%20in%20the%20world. - only 35% of Israelis in 1948 are estimated to have been native born.

Rall's analogy would only work if the "home invader" was a previous owner (or a descendant of a previous owner) of the house who had been unlawfully forced out of possession and later came back to claim what he thought was rightfully his. Now if the cartoon was about the relationship between the original inhabitants of the Americas, Australia, and South Africa and the settlers from Europe, it would be more accurate.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Let's see if I have this chain of events down right.

Trump says he will be a dictator on day one.
Democrats wholeheartedly agree with him, pointing out that dictators with one day of power use it to make that poo poo last forever.
Branco is pissed off they're calling Trump a dictator. Which is also the Democrats saying Trump is right about something.

So what would make this lunatic happy exactly?

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 10, 2024

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

The Islamic Shock posted:

So what would make this lunatic happy exactly?

Trump being a dictator.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

JamesBont posted:

Trump being a dictator.
Good point. Better question would've been what fun new bullshit word substitute are they gonna use for dictator if he gets in

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Islamic Shock posted:

Good point. Better question would've been what fun new bullshit word substitute are they gonna use for dictator if he gets in

Emperor? King? His Holy Eminence?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Randalor posted:

I meant more along the lines of "Intentionally playing a fake word and leaving off the S, then challenging the word when the opponent plays an S" levels of dishonesty-to-outright-cheating. That article just involves dark sorcery and scares me as well.

I will share this video every time someone asks about high-level Scrabble play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJIAlRSs214

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Foreign minister Penny Wong said the government is considering recognising Palestinian statehood as a way to "build momentum towards a two-state solution". Penny Wong says peace for Israel will only come with Palestinian state recognition (ABC). On the camel are Dutton and Greens leader Adam Bandt who are pushing the government on either side of the issue.

Pope:

Lethbridge:

With Wong are Tony Burke and Chris Bowen whose Sydney electorates have a significant Islamic population.

Leak, Son of Leak:

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Randalor posted:

Emperor? King? His Holy Eminence?
Our Glorious Misleader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Before Dobbs, I could get an abortion if I wanted one. Or not! After Dobbs, I can get an abortion only if my state allows it or I can afford to travel to a state that allows it.

I know Branco is dumb enough to try and frame this as a pro-freedom thing two years later, but still amazes me.