Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

I contend that the post is so pitch accurate to real weeb things I've heard on this website that I cannot be expected to assess it for sarcasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's kind of like how a lot of Japanese media has a term that gets translated a lot as 'fortune hunter', literally someone who is 'going out to seek their fortune', basically the conception of an adventurer. This is how Samus got labelled as a 'bounty hunter' in the original Metroid when her actual thing is just meant to be 'fortune hunter', a generic space adventurer.

But honestly mercenary sounds fine to me as Cloud's job description? The only alternatives I would even consider are 'sword-for-hire' or 'sellsword'.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

deoju posted:

When I hear "merc," I think some blackwater gently caress in a balaclava ready to mow down a bus full of kids for a nickel.

It's actually funny that i had this playing while reading this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLFlZRMOUwk

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Cloud is a girl Friday

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The only consideration is whether or not the word fits Barret's lines.

Get down here, merc.

deets
Apr 20, 2015

bewilderment posted:

This is how Samus got labelled as a 'bounty hunter' in the original Metroid when her actual thing is just meant to be 'fortune hunter', a generic space adventurer.
Not sure about this. "Bounty Hunter" is pretty commonly used as a loanword (バウンティハンター), or as 賞金稼ぎ, both of which have their roots primarily in Samurai/Westerns and adjacent media. I did a quick check of the original Japanese manuals for Metroid 1 and 2, and Samus is referred to as a "space warrior" (宇宙戦士), but by Super Metroid the manual explicitly refers to her as a bounty hunter using both of the previously mentioned terms.

deets fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 10, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dang it. I just came back to rebirth after a month away and now I'm in danger of bouncing off of it because Fort Condor is kicking my rear end.
And there's a hard mode somehow? Gods I suck at lane defense games.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 10, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Authentic" translation time, just have them say "do everything man". Or nandemoya with a Translator's Note about how it's impossible to convey this in another language

More literally it means "anything shop." As in, you can pay them to do anything. Which is almost exactly what "mercenary" means in English, although merc has another more literal sense as well. But that one also fits, because part of that "anything" is killing monsters.

Edit: That said, it has a very different connotation, more like an unemployed/self-employed person looking for whatever work they can get, a freelancer. Rather than a ruthless warrior.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 10, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Clarste posted:

More literally it means "anything shop." As in, you can pay them to do anything. Which is almost exactly what "mercenary" means in English, although merc has another more literal sense as well. But that one also fits, because part of that "anything" is killing monsters.

Edit: That said, it has a very different connotation, more like an unemployed/self-employed person looking for whatever work they can get, a freelancer. Rather than a ruthless warrior.

Oh this also explains the joke in Remake where a bunch of randos in Sector 7 think Cloud is literally a merchant

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, I'm like 99% sure they only translated it as mercenary because that's how it was translated in the OG FF7, and they felt it was iconic for whatever reason.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

popped into Junon undercity, and my blood pressure shot through the roof when I heard the voice of loving Rosche

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Clarste posted:

For what it's worth, I'm like 99% sure they only translated it as mercenary because that's how it was translated in the OG FF7, and they felt it was iconic for whatever reason.

It makes sense for a former SOLDIER anyway

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ulvir posted:

popped into Junon undercity, and my blood pressure shot through the roof when I heard the voice of loving Rosche

Yeah I was excited too

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Cloud is mercenary by definition regardless how it is translated because the first job he takes is attacking Shinra for money.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RatHat posted:

It makes sense for a former SOLDIER anyway

Less sense for Kyrie.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I really love the cast of this game to the point that when “stupid” remake only characters popped up again in this one I was like “gently caress YES they brought back these idiots”

Like it has the power to go back and make you like characters everyone was complaining about. Everyone is so drat likeable no idea how they pulled this off

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Cloud is mercenary by definition regardless how it is translated because the first job he takes is attacking Shinra for money.

I mean, whether or not he fits the description is less important than the fact that he goes around town introducing himself as one and people respond with "cool, could you go find my cat for me then?"

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm listening to this soundtrack and am somehow encountering stretches of multiple consecutive tracks that I don't remember hearing in game. Amazing.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Clarste posted:

I mean, whether or not he fits the description is less important than the fact that he goes around town introducing himself as one and people respond with "cool, could you go find my cat for me then?"

Its perfect and the sort of absurdity the Remake tends to go for.

Anyway some NPCs in the game call him "the merc that will take on any job" which is probably the closest translation they could come up with

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 10, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Perhaps you have all had very different experiences hiring mercenaries compared to me (I can't say I've ever had much cause to), but I don't necessarily think of it as a ruthless or dangerously violent phrase? For me the main meaning is "buyable loyalties person who can handle themselves in combat", which seems to work.

FF14 seems to use the word "adventurer" to mean something very similar really.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The word as an adjective means someone untrustworthy because they have no loyalty to anyone but themselves. Sure, maybe you can buy it temporarily, but you never know when a higher bidder will come along, so you can never fully trust them. That's the connotation in English anyway.

Historically speaking, mercenaries are only a small step away from bandits (or rather, a bandit is a mercenary who hasn't gotten a paycheck recently).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ulvir posted:

my heart skipped a beat and I grabbed a mirror to fix my hair

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Honestly, mercenary is a really weird word at the best of times even though it has a very specific and uncomplicated meaning; classically a mercenary is a soldier for hire without specific national allegiances. Note that already there are negative implications at work; these people don't believe on anything, they have no loyalty, they will turn on you for money, unlike normal soldiers, who are of course pillars of morality.

You can use "mercenary" as an adjective of any person to suggest that they are basically only in some job for the money and have no specific loyalty to their employer or whatever. This is... kind of weird, when you think about it, because it applies to almost literally every employee of every company on earth. But almost everybody understands that when you talk about mercenaries you are talking about private military contractors and all the implications that come with that, which are almost all negative, as distinct from soldiers who are loyal to a nation state.

So anyway here is a world that quite notably doesn't really have nation states anymore, where everything has been taken over by a private corporation, which actually does have an entirely private military, including a wing literally called SOLDIER, from which a former employee is distinguishing himself by calling himself a mercenary. You gotta laugh, right? It's not really wrong, because he does a soldier work in exchange for money, and Shinra is basically a nation state at this point. Nothing about the state of affairs presented is really confusing or contradictory. It's just kinda funny when you think about it. I think mercenary is a fine translation, such as it is, of whatever that specific phrase is. Cloud's just a guy with a big sword who can do stuff.

I don't understand why Kyrie is set on specifically emulating Cloud when she has an extremely obviously different skillset and background. But drat, she clearly has a contact who's a talented composer. That's the real mercenary work in this setting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Goddamn did the game just pull FFX2’s 1000 words part 2 on me

Does it always play out the same way? My date is with aerith so couldn’t tell how much they were focusing on it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, just the idea that you are willing to kill someone for money (ie: in a war you care nothing about) is already pretty sketchy. Soldiers do that too, but are theoretically patriotic and that makes it okay I guess.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The Kyrie thing actually kind of pisses me off BC her character was part of such an interesting smattering of side quests and it felt like they knew they wanted to include her but couldn't be bothered of thinking of a storyline for her and it just got left until the last minute

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 10, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fedule posted:

I don't understand why Kyrie is set on specifically emulating Cloud when she has an extremely obviously different skillset and background. But drat, she clearly has a contact who's a talented composer. That's the real mercenary work in this setting.

She seems like the sort of person who encounters somebody successfully bucking the system and says "I'm going to do what they're doing!" without understanding a thing about what that entails. She's cargo culting merc work and gets carried by her confidence and the fact that it's such a niche thing to claim to be.

It would have been nice if her side story didn't kind of peter out, but it did end with a pretty cool character moment with Yuffie. And it's basically a guarantee she'll be back in part 3.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Even Cloud probably wouldn't actually be a good merc if his friends weren't constantly pushing him to suck it up and help somebody.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Caidin posted:

Even Cloud probably wouldn't actually be a good merc if his friends weren't constantly pushing him to suck it up and help somebody.

Yeah, Cloud is actually really bad at being a professional (probably because it was never actually his profession) and needs to be surrounded by beautiful women who remind him to do things like "politeness" and "accept jobs" in order to keep his business afloat.

It's basically a reverse Charlie's Angels.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cloud wasn't much of a merc in the OG game. He does like 2 jobs for AVALANCHE before poo poo hits the fan, and the plot starts going. The Remake games keep the merc thing going just by virtue of having side quests.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rhonne posted:

Cloud wasn't much of a merc in the OG game. He does like 2 jobs for AVALANCHE before poo poo hits the fan, and the plot starts going. The Remake games keep the merc thing going just by virtue of having side quests.

That, and the increased focus on Cloud's psychological state, so that the tension between his belief that he is a professional mercenary and his complete lack of small-business-owner skills becomes more critical.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fedule posted:

When I got that Kalm sidequest to go look for the merc, I was like, 'oh man, it's gonna be Roche trying to copy his BFF!'

I was utterly disappointed.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Better have CHO! CO! BO! :rock:

Or this one that really reminds me of Jet Set Radio.

Just bought the digital soundtrack off of Amazon and I don't know if that one made it on there. That or the track is named something I'm not expecting and I just can't find it. :sigh:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I love dressing up my chocobo at the chocoboutique. :3:

It's probably the best addition.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LadyPictureShow posted:

When I got that Kalm sidequest to go look for the merc, I was like, 'oh man, it's gonna be Roche trying to copy his BFF!'

I was utterly disappointed.

Sorry but if you don’t like Kyrie’s theme song you are a soulless shell of a human

Edit: I could have bought a physical copy of this game and finished it by now instead of waiting for this drat patch. Ah well, at least it gave my wife enough time with the PS5 to beat Baldur’s Gate 3.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Roche has this grating, brash personality, but it is stolen from him by the degradation. He's a tool, but he doesn't deserve that, nobody does. :smith:

Its good writing is really what I am saying.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

deoju posted:

Roche has this grating, brash personality, but it is stolen from him by the degradation. He's a tool, but he doesn't deserve that, nobody does. :smith:

Its good writing is really what I am saying.

It's even sadder because he pretty obviously knows he's not got much time left even before he volunteers for Hojo's experiment, which to me implies he's increasingly overcompensating with this loud, bombastic persona as more and more of his identity is stolen from him, trying to feel something, anything.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WOW the queens blood storyline really goes somewhere huh. Love this big dumb game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I guess I lost cait sith for all open world stuff now? I can always beat the game and come back and do it right. Once I enter last dungeon I’m assuming I’m locked in until I finish?

I still didn’t finish some of the prototelic quests, and I wanted to get some of those ultimate accessories too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's just like Remake, you're locked but once you finish you get a chapter select thingy