Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

2016: A New Hope
2020: The Empire Strikes Back
2024: Return of the TRUMP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LeeMajors posted:

morning news is wall to wall Dems vowing to “reinstate Roe v Wade” (which doesn’t make sense).

meanwhile they did jack loving poo poo to legislate abortion rights when they held both houses of congress.

but this time we will do it! pink promise! send money

How would they even do that? Pack the court? Are they saying that's what they'll do?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

this explains that cringe boomer dance:

quote:

Biden’s campaign hopes to reach those people through their own social media and what is known as relational organizing. The strategy relies on an army of volunteers and paid campaign staffers not just to knock on doors and make other voter contacts but also to tap into their own personal networks, especially online, to share information — news articles, images and videos — that carry the campaign’s message to people otherwise tuning out political outreach.

“One of our core tenets of this campaign is that people talking to their friends and family is one of the most important things that they can do. And getting content that gets shared is a huge part of that,” Biden deputy campaign manager Rob Flaherty said in an interview.

but the cringe boomer dance will have the opposite effect on voters, same as the cringe jo from jerz & the cringe crazy-eyed lady & :champ: screaming from behind the wheel.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao:

If those below-the-radar conversations are to make a difference for Biden in the election, giving supporters things to talk about is paramount. That’s why an arm of the Biden campaign digital team has been traveling with the president for weeks, recording planned, intimate voter encounters with him focused on particular issues while keeping watch for golden unscripted moments to amplify.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

"A visit to a Milwaukee campaign office offered him a chance to connect with a young boy who’d written to him about dealing with a stutter, an unscripted interaction that made its way to TikTok."

it made its way to tiktok bc it was posted there by the acct named "bidenhq" lol.

if it made it's way to tiktok it sounds like that's chicom propaganda.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

spacetoaster posted:

How would they even do that? Pack the court? Are they saying that's what they'll do?

All you need to know is that the vibes are pro-choice

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I think they're trying to say "codify" but think the actual word is confusing? I dunno, it's inexplicable. Maybe it's that codifying Roe would be a new scary thing and they only ever want to promise to undo the other team's bad new scary things so they have to say they're bringing Roe back even if they'd do it legislatively rather than judicially

I think if pressed they'd probably say they need 60 senators to do it which will never happen (by design) so maybe they're just being vague on methods on purpose

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

its vague on purpose because they dont want to bring back anything its a useful cudgel for them and probably the only remaining one the dems have

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

“There’s an unspoken consensus about the stories we should pursue and how they should be framed. It’s frictionless—one story after another about instances of supposed racism, transphobia, signs of the climate apocalypse, Israel doing something bad, and the dire threat of Republican policies. It’s almost like an assembly line. “
https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-how-npr-lost-americas-trust

The only thing I learned from clicking that mess was this is from Bari Weiss's site (took me a minute to figure out why there were so many "woke!" and blood sobberingly genocidal posts written up like school papers). gently caress Bari Weiss. She killed Palestine's greatest poet.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

I wonder if there will be any resistance at all.

Is anyone going to even pretend to care about immigrants again after completely dropping the issue for four years

They are going to send out fundraising emails so hard

You thought democracy was on the ballot before? You haven't seen "Can you donate $25 to preserve freedom?" yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Are the Democrats floating student loan forgiveness? I'm seeing a lot of FB chatter about how it's theft of our precious dollars.

The democrats just inserted and will pass a law banning any presidential administration from forgiving loans lol

quote:

But in exchange, the current FAA bill includes a provision that says that, regarding flight education and training loans, the government “may not take any action to cancel or forgive the outstanding balances, or portion of balances, on any Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, or otherwise modify the terms or conditions of a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, made to an eligible student, except as authorized by an Act of Congress.”

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Shageletic posted:

The democrats just inserted and will pass a law banning any presidential administration from forgiving loans lol

lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nichael posted:

https://x.com/chenweihua/status/1777759170969674238
I like Chen just stirring up poo poo for no reason.

Chen is half right.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

A great example of how congress is perfectly capable of governing via legislation when they actually want to.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
this is the loan chatter you're hearing about :
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-seeks-cancel-some-interest-student-loans-aiding-23-million-americans-2024-04-08/

quote:

The plans, which the Democratic president detailed in Madison, Wisconsin, include cancelling up to $20,000 of accrued and capitalized interest for borrowers, regardless of income, which Biden's administration estimates would eliminate the entirety of that interest for 23 million borrowers.

As of June 2023, approximately 43.4 million student loan recipients had $1.63 trillion in outstanding loans, according to the Federal Student Aid website.

it's just like the rest of what he's done so far on loans: not nothing, but not nearly enough and they're obviously slow-rolling it. Also, last year the negotiated rulemaking thing they're doing settled on some pretty strict guardrails for loan forgiveness:

quote:

The proposed regulatory text released today provides more information on ideas discussed in early November around separate types of debt relief. The updated text reflects suggestions from negotiators and continued review by the Department. The text proposes to provide relief in the following circumstances:

• Borrowers whose balances are greater than what they owed upon entering repayment. Many borrowers see interest charges grow faster than they can make payments. The Department has addressed these problems going forward through the Saving on a Valuable Education (SAVE) plan and new policies limiting interest capitalization. One of the Department’s proposals would provide up to $10,000 of relief to all borrowers who have experienced balance growth due to interest. Multiple proposals would provide even more interest relief to lower-income borrowers and to borrowers enrolled in SAVE.
  • Borrowers whose loans first entered repayment many years ago. The Department updated this proposed text to provide one-time relief 20 years after entering repayment for borrowers with only undergraduate loans. All other borrowers would receive forgiveness on loans that entered repayment 25 years ago, the same timeline as proposed by the Department at the second session.
  • Borrowers who are eligible for forgiveness under income-driven repayment plans or discharge opportunities such as Public Service Loan Forgiveness but have not yet applied for such relief. The proposal would provide borrowers with the benefits they have earned. The Department simplified this language from the prior session.
  • Borrowers who attended programs or institutions that failed to deliver sufficient financial value. This policy would provide relief to borrowers who are left repaying loans where the Department has taken action to terminate future borrowing at an institution or program because the institution or program is leaving students with unaffordable debts, or where such actions are cut off by closure. The Department clarified and expanded this proposed language from the prior session. In addition to including situations where a program or institution failed accountability measures based on their cohort default rates or debt-to-earnings rates, the Department is proposing to include situations where institutions or programs lose access to Federal aid due to actions that financially harm students, such as misconduct affecting student eligibility. This would also apply to programs or institutions that close prior to the finalization of such efforts or determinations.
https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/biden-harris-administration-prepares-third-student-debt-relief-negotiation-session

basically, unless you went to a predatory diploma mill or you were owed forgiveness anyway because of PSLF, you're not getting that loan forgiven by this administration. the best they can offer you is that if you were only making minimum payments and the interest went out of control, they'll waive the interest so you still only owe the principal.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nichael posted:

https://x.com/chenweihua/status/1777759170969674238
I like Chen just stirring up poo poo for no reason.

A t-shirt I had in 2006 agrees

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thoguh posted:

A great example of how congress is perfectly capable of governing via legislation when they actually want to.

Look, it's called compromise.
By loving over us normies by continuing to not do a thing they don't want to do, it accrues political capital to allow them to gently caress us over in more entertaining ways.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ArmedZombie posted:

Chen is half right.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

SixteenShells posted:

this is the loan chatter you're hearing about :
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-seeks-cancel-some-interest-student-loans-aiding-23-million-americans-2024-04-08/

it's just like the rest of what he's done so far on loans: not nothing, but not nearly enough and they're obviously slow-rolling it. Also, last year the negotiated rulemaking thing they're doing settled on some pretty strict guardrails for loan forgiveness:

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/biden-harris-administration-prepares-third-student-debt-relief-negotiation-session

basically, unless you went to a predatory diploma mill or you were owed forgiveness anyway because of PSLF, you're not getting that loan forgiven by this administration. the best they can offer you is that if you were only making minimum payments and the interest went out of control, they'll waive the interest so you still only owe the principal.

it already got sued by the same states that scrotus backed the first time

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
does biden have a searchable twitter archive that doesnt require an account at twitter.com? trump had one but he's cooler

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1778065971443556359

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

SixteenShells posted:

It's wild to me student loan interest is a thing anyways. Like obviously education should be free to begin with but if you absolutely must make it a loan that's essentially functioning as a tax meant to fund education by the people utilizing it, then there's no reason to slap interest on that, the gov is already benefiting from a more educated population, the "interest" is the higher earning potential that can be taxed.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Willa Rogers posted:

that stupid p.o.s. chait nymag piece proves me correct on everything I've ever said about secret government control of social media bc he's making the case that petitioning the government for redress is not only breaching :decorum: but comes close to what he defines as domestic terrorism.

that has nothing to do with trump or musk & you've got to be a loving idiot to not see the signs around you that the government is making a case to control online speech, and that leftists are as much of a target for it as the right.

Yep, the internet is pretty much dead at this point. Pretty sad tbqh.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

PoundSand posted:

It's wild to me student loan interest is a thing anyways. Like obviously education should be free to begin with but if you absolutely must make it a loan that's essentially functioning as a tax meant to fund education by the people utilizing it, then there's no reason to slap interest on that, the gov is already benefiting from a more educated population, the "interest" is the higher earning potential that can be taxed.

I mean public private partnership babey. You'd be correct if the government were directly handling loans, but since this is all handled through private banks and loan servicers, there's profits to be had!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PoundSand posted:

The interest is meant to act as a penalty for those who climb above their station, op

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

loquacius posted:

meet the new slit

same as the old slit

(extremely marilyn manson voice) this is the new slit

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Willa Rogers posted:

that stupid p.o.s. chait nymag piece proves me correct on everything I've ever said about secret government control of social media bc he's making the case that petitioning the government for redress is not only breaching :decorum: but comes close to what he defines as domestic terrorism.

that has nothing to do with trump or musk & you've got to be a loving idiot to not see the signs around you that the government is making a case to control online speech, and that leftists are as much of a target for it as the right.

Saw this the other day:

https://x.com/SoundInvestig/status/1777697750764658927

I do love this gay catfishing format of journalism btw

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

not fat enough

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jimong5 posted:

Saw this the other day:

I can tell this is fake because the fbi only sets up white people if they are vaguely leftist

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

PoundSand posted:

i know basically nothing about how finance works at that level, but I assume allowing interest to accrue helped get lenders to offer education loans in the first place? like, they do subsidize the interest on some loans, but most of the loan debt is unsubsidized (the amount of subsidized loans you can get is capped at $3500-$5500 per year, but the median tuition for public universities is around 12 grand). So I imagine "don't worry, loan companies, you'll get plenty of interest payments from High School 2.0" was a big part of getting them on board.

okay soapbox time since I'm reminded of something i'm still mad about. The only way to get subsidized loans is to submit a FAFSA, where they ask questions about how much money you and your guardians have and make, and then they calculate your "expected family contribution". Then, you're offered a mix of loans equaling the difference between your expected family contribution and your tuition and expected costs. Let's say you're a go-getter, and you decide to support your education by getting a scholarship from a charity or NGO or whatever. Legally, you're expected to report that scholarship, which will then be added to your expected family contribution, lowering the amount you will be offered in loans. Unless you get more in scholarship money than the difference between your EFC and your tuition, you're still expected to contribute exactly as much money as you were before.

Granted, it does reduce your overall loan burden, so getting that scholarship might have a discernible effect 10-15 years down the road if you did the math on the counterfactual where you didn't get the scholarship. It might not even be a meaningful difference - those scholarships will be a few thousand bucks at the very most in my experience. But yeah. Getting scholarships doesn't do anything to make college more affordable in the moment for you and your family. Your budget is still hosed by those tuition payments.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

It might benefit me specifically because lol old, but I have learned not to get my hopes up

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1589366732212555776

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Yep, the internet is pretty much dead at this point. Pretty sad tbqh.

but it goes beyond the internet bc chait is talking about the NERVE of protestors to interrupt high-dollar fundraisers & the important business of legislating & then he attempts to link the anti-zionist actions with Jan. 6 protestors--er "insurrectionists"--which as I've pointed out was a fortuitous op to criminalize & punish all protests & brand them as "domestic terrorism."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

His brain is complete pudding but he's right. Dobbs is awesome for democrats.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

ArmedZombie posted:

I can tell this is fake because the fbi only sets up white people if they are vaguely leftist

I guess you forgot when the FBI tried to kidnap Gretchen Whitmer lol

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jimong5 posted:

Saw this the other day:

Dang, too bad the siloed media mean that it's fake news bc rachel isn't covering it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fetterman's right

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jimong5 posted:

I guess you forgot when the FBI tried to kidnap Gretchen Whitmer lol

Lmao that was so loving funny. They had an underground hideout where they discussed the plan and like 80% of them were informants if I’m remembering right

Also they like to set up right wing militia types from time to time too, certainly there’s an ideological quality to it but more than that busting a terrorist plot if good for your career and there’s no easier plot to bust than one you set up in the first place, so if your stuck out in some remote field office without a lot of anarchkiddies the militia guys are the low hanging fruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

saying it out loud