Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cowardly capcom would not let them make X the villain of Zero 1 smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The key to loving X3 is to not get any upgrades. The armor sets are what ruin that game because they gently caress up the pace of combat. I remember being a kid and playing it and it being my favorite of the then-3 games because being able to fire a charged shot into another charged shot and then it makes an even bigger shot was so cool but upon playing it as an adult I realized how slow and crappy that shot was for not a lot of benefit. Everything in the game feels that way, like the upward dash being slow and pointless since it gains you very little air time or momentum compared to how sick the forward aerial dash was when it was introduced in X2. But playing it without getting any armor or shot upgrades makes it feel a lot more in line with X1

What you can and probably should do is get no upgrades but then also get the Z Saber because it requires you to achieve a full charge before you can use it but if you don't have any gun upgrades you can achieve a full power charge much faster and make more use of the sword

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you can just stop after x5 and skip to Zero

this is the best strat

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

pathologic 2 isnt really scary to me but it has a really dark and tense atmosphere and is very stressful on later days. so i get it. but everyone should play the game cos its in my top 5 best games ever made + there is nothing in the world truly like it

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

probably the only one ive ever 100%ed. gamecube ftw. did anyone else play that version of oot that only came if you preordered windwaker? an actual full game as a preorder bonus. it was oot but everything was mirrored

I never picked Dad over Zelos so I have no idea what that section of the game is like if you go the other route.

My favorite Tales is Destiny and then Eternia (Destiny II in the US, not the same as the JP ToD2 which is a real sequel). Destiny is probably the only Tales game I've fully replayed many, many times. There's something about it I just so desperately love that's hard to pin down.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The Tales of Phantasia GBA remake is also really good. Doesn't have the same "charm" as the very loose snes fan translation, though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Marcade posted:

The Tales of Phantasia GBA remake is also really good. Doesn't have the same "charm" as the very loose snes fan translation, though.

"I bet Arche fucks like a tiger" is burned into my brain as the first time I experienced douchechills from someone I had never met because who the gently caress writes that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Marcade posted:

i bet one fan line im thinking of isnt in the official translation

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Exactly the line I was thinking of, yes.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Marcade posted:

OH YEAH 100% I remember when I first got the Phantasia GBA remake and it was like... okay sure, I get that it won't be the same, but that "charm" was definitely gone. Still a really good game but somehow a lot more boring.

I feel the same way about FFT War of the Lions. Whew lad do I wish that game was better. Translation differences and omissions aside, it suffers so heavily from loading issues BUT the missing/broken audio sfx are the most egregious problems.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Marcade posted:

Gonna have to disagree with this one… the GBA version is more tedious and slow and has that horrible dub. Also, Ragnarok somehow got translated as Kangaroo, which is great but baffling. The PSX version (or I guess the PSP one) is still the definitive one and I’m pretty sure it has a good fan translation. It has all the trappings of the later Tales games like an anime opening and skits.
There’s also a f2p mobile port based on it that had a new official translation, but they removed a lot of the save points and let you pay money to recover/revive.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The PSX version (or I guess the PSP one) is still the definitive one and I’m pretty sure it has a good fan translation. It has all the trappings of the later Tales games like an anime opening and skits.

YOOOOOOO?

quote:

There’s also a f2p mobile port based on it that had a new official translation, but they removed a lot of the save points and let you pay money to recover/revive.

yooooo....nooooo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I liked Tales of Destiny 2 a lot but no one ever talks about it so maybe it was bad. I remember it being extremely loving hweel however

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Didn't know there was a PSP version. Just adding more games to my to-play list.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
tales of symphonia 2

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Heath posted:

The key to loving X3 is to not get any upgrades. The armor sets are what ruin that game because they gently caress up the pace of combat. I remember being a kid and playing it and it being my favorite of the then-3 games because being able to fire a charged shot into another charged shot and then it makes an even bigger shot was so cool but upon playing it as an adult I realized how slow and crappy that shot was for not a lot of benefit. Everything in the game feels that way, like the upward dash being slow and pointless since it gains you very little air time or momentum compared to how sick the forward aerial dash was when it was introduced in X2. But playing it without getting any armor or shot upgrades makes it feel a lot more in line with X1

What you can and probably should do is get no upgrades but then also get the Z Saber because it requires you to achieve a full charge before you can use it but if you don't have any gun upgrades you can achieve a full power charge much faster and make more use of the sword
This is why I love the mod of X3, the X3 Zero Project. One of the little things it does is make the fully charged Buster and air dash animations go faster, resulting in much more fluid combat when you're upgraded. Maybe it's still better without upgrades, but... you gotta understand. I have a deep and abiding need to collect all possible upgrades in a Mega Man game. Skipping a weapon upgrade is tough.

I also love the mod because it lets you start the game as Zero, similar to how you can in later X games. It's a little harder though, because then in the intro stage, Mac owns Zero and you have to rescue him as an un-upgraded, weak X. I actually game over'd the first time I tried because Mac takes a lot less damage from X's weak basic shots, lol

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I love X5 but also the first time I played, both attempts to stop the colony failed despite getting everything for both, which I didn't love

Also he'll always be Duff McWhalen to me

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Tales of Legendia ruled despite them forgetting to voice act the entire last third of the game

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

I liked Tales of Destiny 2 a lot but no one ever talks about it so maybe it was bad. I remember it being extremely loving hweel however

If it's Eternia, it's good! Very niche though. It also has an anime!

If it's the real ToD2, that's because it's JP only still. I believe there's a fan translation but I've personally been using ToD2 for the better part of two decades now to test how much Japanese can I read, since I first started learning the language in like 2003 specially so I could play the game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

pathologic 2 isnt really scary to me but it has a really dark and tense atmosphere and is very stressful on later days. so i get it. but everyone should play the game cos its in my top 5 best games ever made + there is nothing in the world truly like it

the termitary is pretty creepy when you get there but then there's that really stupid ambient scream that loops every 3 seconds. drove me crazy when i noticed lol.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's whatever one was on PS1 because that's where I had it

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Danaru posted:

I love X5 but also the first time I played, both attempts to stop the colony failed despite getting everything for both, which I didn't love

Also he'll always be Duff McWhalen to me
Just fail on purpose and tell yourself that the resulting dead are just pathetic humans anyway, not perfect glorious machines like you and your kind.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just tried playing X3 on the MMX Legacy Collection and everything felt really sluggish and unresponsive and I wasn't sure if it was the game itself or the legacy collection or my controller or whatever so I loaded up an emulator and it's like night and day. Same controller and everything, but the game feels like it runs 10x faster and more responsibly and it even sounds better.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

It's whatever one was on PS1 because that's where I had it

Ok yeah that's technically Tales of Eternia, called ToD2 in the states, sort of like how FF6 was FF3.

I very much like Eternia the game and it's anime. Had a big ol crush on Keele back in the day. Eternia improves upon a lot of what made Destiny great. It's also the last sprite Tales so it's the most modern. Only thing about Eternia that falls a little short are the characters being just overall not as good as the Destiny crew.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Plant MONSTER. posted:

his name is Serges and he is Dr. Wily. And Zero is X's sister and is named Zero because she gets zero chances to prove her worth cause X is always in th spotlight. My brother told me this so I know it's true.

Zero also has huge green titties

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Never played final fantasy vii remake but it’s on sale so downloading it now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
finished hollow knight again. what a game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Improbable Lobster posted:

beeg green titties cousin nico

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
they're breast lamps and they're utilitarian and aesthetic

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nice headlights baybee :grin:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

they're breast lamps and they're utilitarian and aesthetic

Misread as breast lumps and was hoping that Zero was seeing a doctor about that

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Never played final fantasy vii remake but it’s on sale so downloading it now

it's good. rebirth is much better but the remake is great too.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Improbable Lobster posted:

Part of what makes him such a wonderful character. Long blonde hair, big green titties, deep voice, anime laser sword, angsty warrior personality. Basically the perfect being.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When I was a kid my mom got mad at me because I started hooting and hollering uncontrollably when Zero swooped in and destroyed his clone in X2

She'll never understand what I went through

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Remembering this bit in X4....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

so glad that this came to me live, watching my cousin play and losing my poo poo about how funny this is, rather than via memes several years later. same deal with that devil may cry part

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The best Megaman games are the Battle Network series, particularly 3 and 6.

Also some of the best video game music ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVccKxcoFpE

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

lobster shirt posted:

All the games sub forums were losing their mind when remake came out so I’m excited frankly

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

Sadly, rebirth isn't out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you can just stop after x5 and skip to Zero

yeah. for some reason though the Zero series is entirely bangers