Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/stewartschgo/status/1778042935201652953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This tracks. Defense folks love stupid acronyms

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's like catnip to them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SABETR

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The Lone Gunmen were the real heroes

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Actually, maybe the lone gunmen were some kind of op because the pilot episode of their spin-off show was 9/11 a few months before the real 9/11.

Or maybe they were trying to tip the public off?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

that's a terrible acronym. it doesn't even fit!

e:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

thank god they had the game boy printer to keep a record of this

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ET already encompassed synthetic astro biological races, so not sure what that change accomplishes

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

SABER sounds more aggressive, like something we should be afraid of.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

ET already encompassed synthetic astro biological races, so not sure what that change accomplishes

seems like some dumbass making stuff up for 100 likes on twitter

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Saber was the name of the military unit Dr Who was attached to IIRC.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

coconono posted:

Saber was the name of the military unit Dr Who was attached to IIRC.

You do not, it was UNIT

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dang. I’ll watch more doctor who in penance.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Stop
Alien
Bread
Extraction
Routines

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lue flicks his huge collar up, activating his secret spy two-way communicator:

"The saber is in the sheath, I repeat the saber is in the sheath"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

coconono posted:

dang. I’ll watch more doctor who in penance.

good call

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it SABER or SABRE?

(Doctor Who / saber / triangle crossover event)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

You do not, it was UNIT

Ok good the trap got sprung on someone else

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Mulder was also very, very controlled opposition

The Lone Gunmen were the real heroes

the lone gunmen were nerds in a very stereotypically bad late 90s/early 2000s way

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just wanna say that the eclipse Monday was interesting for me, because right around the peak I got a text from my mom that fits the predictive symbolism for my nativity way too well. Right around the peak of the eclipse, 1:18pm central time, my mom made me the sole heir in her will.

This is really hosed and sad, and part of messed up drama. I'll be dispensing whatever i can recover from her estate (being real, most of the value is sentimental) with my family, and sharing appropriately, it's more of a financial defense against abusers and other people who are sadly invovled.

Symbolically, eclipses singal great beginnings, and endings, and huge changes in direction for a given subject. There's a reason those assyrian kings would go to substitute king rituals and poo poo lol if you're vain and powerful, the eclipse always signifies some change for someone, somewhere, and if your tendrils are in the lives of a bunch of people, you'll feel the disruption more than most.

I won't be fully breaking down everything, but the basics of this are that, there is a component of astrology called a "house" - houses are divided in different ways, but each numbered house has a more or less agreed upon set of meanings and topics.

Dogmatically oriented brains tend to get into fights over which is best, but I use a simple method because it makes accurate predictions: find the sign the ascendant is in, call that sign the first house, then count to 12 in zodiacal order.

in this arrangement, the lunar eclipse last month hit my 8th house, libra, which also has a bunch of planets including my sun, and monday's eclipse was in my 2nd house, aries.

The 8th house is considered kind of rough/bad - the house topics are death, inheritance, your relationship to other people's money, and some like, occult stuff too depending on who you ask and in what context, but that's not relevant here.

Aries, the 2nd house, is personal finances.

so just coincidentally, my astrology-ignorant mother just asks for my legal name and current address and announces i am the sole heir, as an eclipse happens over a sign that represents my finances, on an eclipse cycle that's also literally tied to death and inheritance

I wish I could get y'all as interested in astrology as y'all are in tarot, but I get that tarot lends itself to easier pick up - they're both great ways to explore the non rational lol

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

The Demilich posted:

Knight of Swords, Queen of Swords reversed
*Duel of the Fates begins playing*

Riot Bimbo posted:

I just wanna say that the eclipse Monday was interesting for me, because right around the peak I got a text from my mom that fits the predictive symbolism for my nativity way too well. Right around the peak of the eclipse, 1:18pm central time, my mom made me the sole heir in her will.

This is really hosed and sad, and part of messed up drama. I'll be dispensing whatever i can recover from her estate (being real, most of the value is sentimental) with my family, and sharing appropriately, it's more of a financial defense against abusers and other people who are sadly invovled.

Symbolically, eclipses singal great beginnings, and endings, and huge changes in direction for a given subject. There's a reason those assyrian kings would go to substitute king rituals and poo poo lol if you're vain and powerful, the eclipse always signifies some change for someone, somewhere, and if your tendrils are in the lives of a bunch of people, you'll feel the disruption more than most.

I won't be fully breaking down everything, but the basics of this are that, there is a component of astrology called a "house" - houses are divided in different ways, but each numbered house has a more or less agreed upon set of meanings and topics.

Dogmatically oriented brains tend to get into fights over which is best, but I use a simple method because it makes accurate predictions: find the sign the ascendant is in, call that sign the first house, then count to 12 in zodiacal order.

in this arrangement, the lunar eclipse last month hit my 8th house, libra, which also has a bunch of planets including my sun, and monday's eclipse was in my 2nd house, aries.

The 8th house is considered kind of rough/bad - the house topics are death, inheritance, your relationship to other people's money, and some like, occult stuff too depending on who you ask and in what context, but that's not relevant here.

Aries, the 2nd house, is personal finances.

so just coincidentally, my astrology-ignorant mother just asks for my legal name and current address and announces i am the sole heir, as an eclipse happens over a sign that represents my finances, on an eclipse cycle that's also literally tied to death and inheritance

I wish I could get y'all as interested in astrology as y'all are in tarot, but I get that tarot lends itself to easier pick up - they're both great ways to explore the non rational lol
I'm honestly starting to get that into astrology, over the last couple months in general, and especially since the eclipse. Talking to more people about signs, studying more about mine, including signs more often in my rituals, and following astrologers on social media. It feels like it's increasingly calling to me, especially as I learn more about the similarities and differences between the astrology I'm familiar with, and that of other cultures like the Mayans.

Your brief breakdown is great and gives me a lot to think about/study, thank you! (Sorry for the drama, but I can definitely tell how much astrology resonated with the drama based on your description.)

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Orbs posted:

I would do similar. My spooky tower would be extremely similar in appearance and population to the Darco arcology from Sim City 2000.

struggled to get a darco arcology mod running on cities skylines to no avail. truly the best arcology, let me make a friggin' bladerunner dystopia city paradox!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Orbs posted:

*Duel of the Fates begins playing*

I'm honestly starting to get that into astrology, over the last couple months in general, and especially since the eclipse. Talking to more people about signs, studying more about mine, including signs more often in my rituals, and following astrologers on social media. It feels like it's increasingly calling to me, especially as I learn more about the similarities and differences between the astrology I'm familiar with, and that of other cultures like the Mayans.

Your brief breakdown is great and gives me a lot to think about/study, thank you! (Sorry for the drama, but I can definitely tell how much astrology resonated with the drama based on your description.)

Chris Brennan's The Astrology Podcast is a pretty good place to start. A huge majority of the useful information I've learned is from him. He's on the verbose side of things though.

The problem with the Woo Space on the internet is that everything has a grift attached, and even the stuff that isn't "grift" is often gate-kept. Like, quality education in astrology isn't cheap, even if you can self study yourself through it if you know what books to get, and which ones to ignore. That path is pretty fraught, because there are a million mediocre or fraudulent astrologers out there for whom this is their like, Main Thing, and they all have a book and a class, or an app, so knowing who is peddling like, "good" information is not easy to figure out. For me it has been a lot of testing and just figuring out how to tune my bullshit detector, and it's not easy with stuff that is so reliant on subjectivity. I have a list of names, traditions, techniques, that I think are legit to the exclusion of things i consider illegitimate, but if you asked me to defend those decisions to a lay person i'm not sure I could.

If you want further recommendations you can feel free to PM me. Chris Brennan is pretty dry and either his style will work for you or it won't.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/LiberationTimes/status/1778113327706648707

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm actually interested in it Riot Bimbo since the imagery & numerology aspects obviously tie into tarot symbology & archetypes, it's just I find it so drat confusing on its own. Especially when I compare it with Vedic astrology in order to find a common historical logic to try to get a wider/deeper understanding of it. I also don't know how to account for the precession of the sky from ancient times either or if contemporary astrologers account for such things, which leads me to questions like wtf is my actual zodiac sign.

Like I still haven't been able to figure out wtf my natal chart means and that's fixed; I have a few stars that likes to repeat in the rising/setting /culmination sections and there's barely any info I can find on said stars.

Legit sources for information are hard to source for me is what I'm saying I guess.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Marzzle posted:

struggled to get a darco arcology mod running on cities skylines to no avail. truly the best arcology, let me make a friggin' bladerunner dystopia city paradox!
Many are saying this. At least the Launch arcology mod worked, those were a close second to the Darco.

Riot Bimbo posted:

Chris Brennan's The Astrology Podcast is a pretty good place to start. A huge majority of the useful information I've learned is from him. He's on the verbose side of things though.

The problem with the Woo Space on the internet is that everything has a grift attached, and even the stuff that isn't "grift" is often gate-kept. Like, quality education in astrology isn't cheap, even if you can self study yourself through it if you know what books to get, and which ones to ignore. That path is pretty fraught, because there are a million mediocre or fraudulent astrologers out there for whom this is their like, Main Thing, and they all have a book and a class, or an app, so knowing who is peddling like, "good" information is not easy to figure out. For me it has been a lot of testing and just figuring out how to tune my bullshit detector, and it's not easy with stuff that is so reliant on subjectivity. I have a list of names, traditions, techniques, that I think are legit to the exclusion of things i consider illegitimate, but if you asked me to defend those decisions to a lay person i'm not sure I could.

If you want further recommendations you can feel free to PM me. Chris Brennan is pretty dry and either his style will work for you or it won't.
Nice, I will give that podcast a shot and see how I like it!

I know what you mean about everything being a grift in woo space, even the stuff that tries not to be. Actually, one thing I'm starting to pick up on, at least with Tarot education, is that often the people who are the least predisposed to grifting, are the ones doing the most gatekeeping style stuff. My theory is the more benign (but not very gifted or talented) ones tend to shun the relatively ruthless, exploitative business practices that lead to steady wealth, so they end up compensating in other ways like aggressively self-marketing, or promoting special classes or whatever for their best knowledge. Just my impression, and either way I hope eventually grifts become less necessary/easy/common. Don't know if that will be any time soon though.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah ancient astrology intrigues me but I have book add and I'm reading like 5 at once now. Plus when I try to understand it it's all Greek to me, as it were.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Stop
Alien
Bread
Extraction
Routines

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Demilich posted:

I'm actually interested in it Riot Bimbo since the imagery & numerology aspects obviously tie into tarot symbology & archetypes, it's just I find it so drat confusing on its own. Especially when I compare it with Vedic astrology in order to find a common historical logic to try to get a wider/deeper understanding of it. I also don't know how to account for the precession of the sky from ancient times either or if contemporary astrologers account for such things, which leads me to questions like wtf is my actual zodiac sign.

Like I still haven't been able to figure out wtf my natal chart means and that's fixed; I have a few stars that likes to repeat in the rising/setting /culmination sections and there's barely any info I can find on said stars.

Legit sources for information are hard to source for me is what I'm saying I guess.

The differences in tropical and sidereal zodiacs is important, but it's not important in the way outsiders whine about it. Like, yes, trained astrologers are *acutely* aware that the tropical zodiac is almost a full sign off from the sidereal zodiac! I am not interested in getting into the finer points of delineation, but suffice it to say, nothing is broken by this.

I can tell you what is going on with the vedic tradition in the broadest possible strokes: At some point during the height of the hellenic empires, astrology made its way to India, probably the same way Buddhism travelled west (the bactrian kingdom seems a very likely crossover point to me, given we have greek buddha statues and other signs of cultural cross-talk, but the christian/greek colonies in India itself also make a certain kind of sense ). The Vedic tradition quickly became its own thing, using the genesis point of some mutation of the western tradition.

As precession did its thing and the zodiacs drifted out of alignment, the vedic tradition chose to abandon the tropical zodiac. In the Arab and post-roman traditions, astrology is in a context in which it is struggling to survive under the rather unfriendly gaze of Islam and Christianity, and these pressures create different developments. I am pretty sure later house division techniques arise pretty much to deal with zodiacal drift, but the western tradition kept the tropical zodiac, because it still works. You can align yourself tropically, or sidereally at this point, and they function as lenses that offer you different, but complimentary information. However this system works, doesn't give a single poo poo about the drift in the skies.

Skipping a lot of history, the modern situation is one where there are more or less three really big movements. One is the recovery of hellenistic astrology - astrology as documented in the hellenistic world at its peak - this is the work of recovering and translating texts from greek, roman, and egyptian mystic traditions, and reconstructing their systematic vision of astrology. The other is the modern strain, the unbroken evolution of astrology in the west - because it is unbroken - with all its mutations, corruptions, and loss of function - there is plenty to take that works, there is plenty that doesn't, and then there's the vedic tradition, which is more or less its own thing, with a handful of shared interpretive principles, and because of the internet, these movements are all in crosstalk and dialogue with each other, and a lot of the work seems to be coming together to figure out how it works together, because it *does*

The fixed star positions in the sky are important - an advanced astrologer knows when to cast a sidereal chart, because fixed star considerations are not super useful in the tropical context now. If you want to liken a tropical chart to the left eye, and the sidereal chart to the right eye, a good astrologer needs to learn to see binoccularly, and then needs to set about finding the many other eyes that exist lol, because any given chart is just a lens by which to view the nativity, just as any given card draw relates to a question. The analogous move is merely drawing two spreads on the same question - one is not intended to override the other, you are expected to synthesize the information you find between the cards or charts you generate.

I would start tropically, if you are in the west, because there will be more tropical zodiac information available to you freely.

Like idk, i used to sing the greatest hits of the critics, I know the difference between my point of view then and my point of view now, and i believe my belief in this stuff is not without cause, far from it, so these questions are matters to be worked through in the process of learning rather than reasons to not start, imo

if you're going to start with astrology, you really need to start with symbol literacy. Learn your 12 sign glyphs, learn your sun and moon, and your planetary glyphs, mercury through neptune, and pluto. You need to know what the symbols mean archetypally, but the symbol shorthand is way too important to not start with. These symbols become the letters by which astrology writes paragraphs of data. If you don't understand their meaning at a basic level, the actually cool stuff in astrology can't even be assayed, because it is about constructing and analyzing symbol maps according to a geometric and algebraic ruleset lol, so learn your symbols, then start learning basic interpretive principles. I've given everyone a good starting point in my last post, check that guy's podcast out.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The boys are waking up
https://twitter.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1778150411947442600
https://twitter.com/LueElizondo/status/1778192717396271356

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I haven't done this yet, and maybe i shouldn't, but if you're a thread normie and you don't mind being a public demonstration, I can go over a basic chart delineation ITT, to show you all some of the process. This is really involved, like when I do this for pay, people are paying for like 90 mins of my time reading to them, but there is also a couple hours labor in actually getting to that point in a thorough manner, because there's just that much information in a natal chart lol. Because of that, I need the demo to be reliable, i'm not gonna do this for a bunch of people it would just be too time consuming, so certainty gets you priority.

If you want to be a candidate, i need a volunteer that has a specific birth time and location, like basically I need your birth day and time according to your birth certificate, or your mom's reckoning if you lack that. So like, let's say I wanted to do this for Allen Dulles, the time I would need is: April 23, 1893 at 3:00am in watertown, ny. This would give me a chart that looks approximately like this:

From there I would note a pisces rising, taurus sun, leo moon, which would then inform the shape of a deeper deconstruction of the symbols. Then I could map those symbols and highlight different elements of Dulles' biography that match what we see here.

If you are uncertain about the minute/hour, you're not an ideal candidate. The more reliable the time, the more accurate i can be basically. If nobody wants to sign up, i might just deconstruct Dulles', since most people ITT probably know the name, and some know the biography, and might be able to at least appreciate some of what i'm doing in that way.

So yeah, post your birthday if you have your birth cert, and I'll pick one to break apart publicly.

Or, I can just demo Allen Dulles

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
what is EBE not good enough anymore? sheesh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why is the moment of birth special rather than say conception or quickening

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018