Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NotJustANumber99 posted:

a glib simplistic summary of the video with no context as to wher it was given

The issue is incredibly simplistic: Does he believe that trans people are their respective gender? Any answer other than "yes, of course" is transphobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The issue is incredibly simplistic: Does he believe that trans people are their respective gender? Any answer other than "yes, of course" is transphobia.

Have you watched the video?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are trans women women and trans men men?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

have you honestly watched the wes streeting video?

Yes. And I also understand the context of Wes's many other statements about trans people.

You should really find a better hobby than being a oval office to marginalised and scared people. If you need to troll for attention, try punching upwards.

e: And I know thread IK's don't like using their powers, but if there was ever a need to use them, it's now.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 10, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Are trans women women and trans men men?

lame response coward

I will always respect a person's identity. Anyone that identifies to me as a man or woman whatever that means, I will always respect that.
bad line

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 10, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of "context"?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Yes. And I also understand the context of Wes's many other statements against trans people.

You should really find a better hobby than being a oval office to marginalised and scared people. If you need to troll for attention, try punching upwards.

e: And I know thread IK's don't like using their powers, but if there was ever a need to use them, it's now.

Maybe I'm uneducated on all his other statements? I'm just going off this video linked?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lame response coward

I will always respect a person's identity. Anyone that identifies to me as a man or woman whatever that means, I will always respect that.

But i'm not a medical service entrusted with sorting this out for children. I think we'd like some decent people to respectfullly figure that out, probably cant always, give them a chance at least to try

I'm not going to listen to nearly an hour of someone deny my life just to satisfy you being a troll and to justify politicians cozying up to fascists. I can go onto any social media if I want to hear all manners of transphobic shite and at least those people aren't also potentially in the position to make laws to come after me and other marginalized people. But I guess I need to listen to fascists otherwise I'm a "coward", eh?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Maybe I'm uneducated on all his other statements? I'm just going off this video linked?

You're going in without context?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of "context"?

I mean I've told other people that about this video? so i guess I'm confused by the context youre talking about?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm not going to listen to nearly an hour of someone deny my life just to satisfy you being a troll and to justify politicians cozying up to fascists.

so you havent watched it

I think you might feel better if you did?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so you havent watched it

You're a horrible person.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You're a horrible person.

wtf why?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Can we please not do this today of all days? It's absolutely exhausting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah. Sorry for my part in responding to what I should have ignored.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I shouldn't have engaged, sorry.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

No I appreciate you both engaging, and know how hard it is to pull back when you see things sometimes. Honestly, I'd feel a lot more comfortable having people treating this like a 'debate' to be won be shut down by an IK. Emotions are running high for a lot of people today, and a little more empathy towards how they're feeling wouldn't hurt

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

I will geld Wes Streeting if I see him in public. Just spin and twist his bawbag right off of his manboy frame.

It's fine according to him, doesn't change his gender at all.

I think I would need to watch the free instructional DVD first though, to ensure that I don't get it wrong.

holy poo poo a drill powered one

i had to put on rubber bands on bulls with a manual device lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I had IK powers I would have done it a while ago. I don't actually know if I still am an IK tbh.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you think the same for jewish people if jeremy corbyn were to get into power?

Posting like a dickhead

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so you havent watched it

I think you might feel better if you did?

Why are you such a raging oval office?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

what exactly would i be being banned for? A bunch of people said a guy was transphobic for something he said. I watched the video and reported back what he actually said and everyone said I'm not watching that ban this guy?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean I've told other people that about this video? so i guess I'm confused by the context youre talking about?

The context is Wes Streeting's past comments and behaviours. This video does not exist in isolation of those.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what exactly would i be being banned for? A bunch of people said a guy was transphobic for something he said. I watched the video and reported back what he actually said and everyone said I'm not watching that ban this guy?

The context is your history of being a poo poo windup merchant, and a history of people "Calm Hitler"ing on internet debates. Which the imbecilic D&D debate club rules cater to for some insane reason

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you think the same for jewish people if jeremy corbyn were to get into power?

2020 called, they want their dumbshit political attacks back

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No a fair people number of people have watched it, put it into context and then you decided you know better than people because you are smart.

You should think and reflect on being unable to read a room and responding to everyone calling it out as "lol, debate much".

I am having to seriously consider leaving the country because of this poo poo.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 11, 2024

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I managed to deal with the lovely controls on that webplayer (at least on mobile) to eventually get the actual bit in context.

He's a weaselly oval office as usual. He thinks he's threading the needle, by just lightly blowing his weasel-sized dog whistle.

Cole asks him if he no longer believes TMAM and TWAW, Wes says a few years ago he did completely believe that but now he sees nunace or some poo poo, kinda gets cut off by Cole. Says some stuff to make out like he cares about trans people.

The wider context is important. Wes Streeting is not an actively hateful transphobe like, say, Rosie Duffield. But he has shown more and more willingness to throw trans people under the bus, the separate wards thing was a big one and this is another. He has and will have more power in the Labour party and in gov than Duffield, plus it comes from a member of the LGBT community so ultimately he is more dangerous than her. At absolute best he's a useful idiot for transphobes.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rarity posted:

Why are you such a raging oval office?

He`s afraid of the world.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
requesting, again, that 99 be threadbanned pls because really this is loving ridiculous now lol

could everyone else please ignore him in the meantime because when you quote him i have to read his posts, too :)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lovely sealioning and drawing ridiculous comparisons to Corbyn, it's like the bad old days of Pissflaps

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'm not sure it's not him

hateful, tedious oval office

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/arnau1700/status/1778070699149517177

quote:

The Cowdenbeath and Kirkcaldy candidate was found to have liked and reposted a swathe of "racist, Islamophobic and transphobic" posts on Twitter/X on Tuesday.

These included posts claiming that Scottish Government aid to Gaza was going to Hamas, and messages that featured the debunked viral claim that Humza Yousaf had said there are “too many white people in Scotland”.

Last month, Brown also liked a racist post telling an Indian man who was expressing his love for England and its flag “you will NEVER be an Englishman” and “it is not your flag”.

Brown has additionally been found to have liked posts claiming trans broadcaster India Willoughby “incited trans activists” to “harass” TV judge Robert Rinder as well as tweets suggesting JK Rowling had “slain” the trans movement.

Elsewhere, she has shared posts calling for the abolition of the Scottish Parliament or for it to be placed "under special measures by the British Government".

I guess many of the other candidates have similar views, but are better at masking their opinions on social media.

The party would have known about her toxic views. Her only crime in their eyes was she got caught.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 11, 2024

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Is there a way to ban this oval office from the thread?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You gotta respect 99 for handling a pile on like this. He's a notable public mass debater

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think this should be filed under the :lol: and :lmao: category
https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1778069503164743703

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Dabir posted:

You gotta respect 99 for handling a pile on like this. He's a notable public mass debater
Yes, you've got to respect someone that offers nothing but meaningless dissent to any conversation about any topic.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1778134767340236980

Welp, they aren't wasting time.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
out of a horrible grim curiosity i have watched the portion of the video about the cass report and yeah wes is being a transphobic poo poo. wes streeting content spoilered below
  • harry summarises cass review: "no good use for puberty blockers, remarkable weak evidence, thousands of lives ruined, essentially, by evidence built on sand. Experts cowed by the mob of people accusing them of being transphobic" - wes does not contradict this, is just sitting there nodding
  • harry: "how did it take this long to get to this scenario?"
  • wes: "Yeah look first of all I welcome the Cass review and I want to thank Cass and her team for the thorough and thoughtful - and careful and sensitive way in which they've undertaken this research in an area that, you know, when, you look at the children and young people involved - and actually the adults in our country as well that are I think desperately worried and frightened about the toxicity of this debate - I think she's done a really important piece of work, but I think it does raise some serious concerns that are pretty scandalous, actually, I think we've got to ask ourselves - why is it that we've seen medical interventions that have been given on the basis of very weak evidence. how is it that clinicians are being silenced or afraid to come forward. why is it that a group of young people who are extremely vulnerable are waiting years to access treatment. And I think there's plenty of blame to go around, and I'm pretty angry actually that despite this review having been commissioned there are some NHS trusts that refuse to cooperate - and I want to send a clear message to them that under a Labour government there will be accountability for that - you're not going to get away with it. And I'd urge- I want to work constructively with the government to make sure we get this right."
  • Harry: so under a Labour government, "none of this nonsense is coming back. None of this, you know, evidence free"-
  • Wes: No, we're going to take an evidence led approach to this.
  • Wes specifically mentions Hannah Barnes as having written a brilliant book. Briefly mentions trans adults exist that have had a positive experience. There are also adults he says that say it was a disaster, it ruined their lives, it's "irreversible now, in terms of the consequences" (how many, wes? how many) "and they ask, how did anyone let this happen?"
  • Harry says the debate has been "utterly poisonous", his examples are people blowing the whistle on this that were unable to get books published (more Wes nodding) says "groups like stonewall" have been "vicious" to anyone who criticise "things like this". asks if he regrets working with Stonewall
  • Wes: "when i worked for stonewall, we didn't do gender identity, this is kind of a more new development". Wes talks up how they talked to bishops during the equal marriage campaign - "on this i think they haven't been open enough to the argument and to the discussion"
  • Harry is the one that brings up the "trans women are women, get over it" slogan, "do you agree with that?"
  • here we go - Wes: "no- to the extent that- and I say this with some self-criticism and reflection. If you'd asked me a few years ago on this topic, I would have said - trans men are men, trans women are women, some people are trans, get over it, let's move on, this is all blown out of proportion. And now, I sort of sit and reflect and think actually there are lots of complexities and challenges in this debate."
  • Harry: "-Isn't that the problem though, that leading figures such as yourself - and I'm not just singling you out- but leading figures like yourself were saying, get over it, when people were trying to raise the facts. Do you regret-"
  • Wes: No, I think that's- I think you're right. I think we've got to - I absolutely take the criticism on the chin. And at the same time I think there's been some absolutely ugly rhetoric directed towards trans people, who are at the wrong end of all the statistics on hate crime, on self-harm, suicide, mental ill health. So I think we've got a collective responsibility to be open to this debate and discussion and to do so in the sort of thoughtful, careful and sensitive way that Dr. Cass has."

Sure, wes is technically just talking about the "get over it" slogan, sort of. But he sure doesn't make any attempt to reaffirm the "trans men are men, trans women are women" part of it. And when he says "complexities and challenges in this debate" next to this I don't think it's at all reasonable to interpret that as complexities and challenges with getting over it. Perhaps Wes will come out with a grand statement saying that of course he still thinks trans women are women but it's become a Divisive Slogan so I don't have much faith. And even then I don't think I'd believe him in the context of how kind he's being about the Cass review. Sure, he mentions how hard trans people have it right at the end but then he ends on how to help them we must all be open in debate and discussion like Dr. Cass. That's not a solution. That's the same old "let's continue debating" poo poo the terfs have been pushing for for years as an excuse for delaying doing nothing at all. Wes is, ultimately, trying to sound even handed while not pushing back against any of Harry's transphobic rhetoric.

tl;dr: wes is a poo poo

e: oh also he's wrong in the first place to regret the get over it slogan because people should, in fact, just get over it, and their concerns are poo poo

Angepain fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 11, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

and everyone said I'm not watching that ban this guy?
There's a reason people aren't watching it. It's depressing as poo poo to hear the man who's going to be in charge of the health service (if not the ruling party when they backstab Starmer) casually throw out dogwhistles and confirm which side he's on. Angepain posted a summary and if you're familiar with the issues Streeting is discussing and the talking points he brings up, it's bad. It's very bad.

Count yourself lucky I guess that there's nothing in your life so volatile and under threat that you can't bring yourself to watch someone talk about it. But at least have some empathy for people who's indentity is under threat from concern trolls like Streeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

May have said it before but Wes Streeting always makes me think of the ventriloquist's dummy from Big Train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_OFm8AVQi4