Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not gonna lie, the callback to foobdad's dog training efforts in the middle of a dramatic arc of his daughter about to drown is genuinely funny.

Didn't expect to see Jarritos accurately represented in my newspaper strips today but heck yeah

And here Konosuke Takeshita demonstrates a new and daring usage for a Jarritos:

(we also finally have them in Finland, but sadly they are priced in the 'exotic import from an exotic country' fashion, so one 0,33l soda costs ~3 euros)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Cowslips Warren posted:

imagine if Dustin did that to her.

actually, has Dustin ever been nasty or unsupportive to anyone in his family? or at all?

I’m sure it has happened but in general he’s remarkably chill and nice to his surroundings considering how much spiteful poo poo he’s bombarded with for no discernible reason.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nuti

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/9/04

Brenda Starr 12/28/52

Smokey Stover 11/6/60

Everyday Movies 6/3/37

"Make me up a nice double sundae, with that new egg-nog ice cream, chocolate syrup and lotsa nuts, but don't put on too much whipped cream -- it's fattening."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/27/43 -- to come in color, so Ping Bong's fate will have to lie in the balance a bit longer.

Closer Than We Think! 11/6/60

Bonus Ad! The Relax-a-Cizor was the granddaddy of those belts that promise to help you lose weight by gently shocking your abs. Only with much cruder engineering, so there wasn't anything gentle about the shocks you got from it.

This article is from 1970, when the FDA finally stepped in after they'd been selling these things for over 20 years.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not a great plan to use modern EMS machines on your chest, I'm surprised anyone survived 1940s ones.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(6/6/1994)

(6/7/1994)

Ziggy

(11/13/1971)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

I'm neither, but I tried doing a little research. The wikipedia article on the peso does give some information, but only has pictures for the most recent series of banknotes which came out in the 2000's or so, while the Mexikid stories take place in the 1970's, so I don't know if the colors have changed.

Yeah I went to Wikipedia first and was shocked to learn that they didn't have a complete visual breakdown of 70's Mexican banknotes. But now I know, he was probably handing over fistfuls of 20s to his siblings for an uneven exchange of larger bills.

Lord help me, I laughed at a Luann, but probably not in the way they intended for me to laugh (Tiff's pitches in the middle panel are just so blunt and unoriginal.)

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

The Whimsy Will Continue Until Morale Improves

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Maxwell Lord posted:

To live, a rat must chew!

A rat chewses. A slave obeys.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And here Konosuke Takeshita demonstrates a new and daring usage for a Jarritos:

(we also finally have them in Finland, but sadly they are priced in the 'exotic import from an exotic country' fashion, so one 0,33l soda costs ~3 euros)
first he aligns with Callis and now this

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 13, 1936)

Peanuts (April 13, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (April 20-22, 1936)

Thimble Theater (November 13, 1940)

Out Our Way (June 5-7, 1944 (so yeah, including D-Day; 80th anniversary this year))

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Just charge him :10bux:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Another where I'm pretty sure I've had this exact conversation before.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

Next Time: The Iron God

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

So I guess "Ron" is a brand of Mexican rum or something?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

enclosure of the commons for greater productivity through division of (wage) labour and specialization, what fun~

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 02, 1962)

1962, huh. I wonder whether there's been any analysis on the extent to which Foster draws on the evolution from the heroic Boy's Own interpretation of the crusades to a more Steven Runciman take

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
"Ron" = "Rum"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LvK posted:

"Ron" = "Rum"

Wait, REALLY? I thought "Rum" was already Spanish.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family()

No strip for October 12 for some reason.

Baron Bean(April 12, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 12, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 3, 1919)

Us Boys(April 10, 1912)

The Gumps(May 9, 1917)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

The formatting on that one panel is busted for some reason on Gocomics.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Been there kid. Been there…

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.
Mexikid Stories

When my brother was about 4 years old we were visiting some people and he discovered 1) they had a "kegerator" (refrigerated keg) in their garage, and 2) he really liked the taste of beer. The end result was exactly this.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Cause I got one cake in my pocket
And I'm in my bed, having my shoes on

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Another explanation of the trash can in case you forgot.
Here’s the tortoise and the hare so you can check out his lame little dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dki75GEmm44
She calls the program with the stars hereラフスボーン, and the only result google turns up for that is in the transcription of this comic in its free preview on amazon.

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 10, 2024

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Another explanation of the trash can in case you forgot.
Here’s the tortoise and the hare so you can check out his lame little dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dki75GEmm44
She calls the program with the stars hereラフスボーン, and the only result google turns up for that is in the transcription of this comic in its free preview on amazon.

looks like it's another Living Book, this one called "Ruff's Bone"! here's the Twinkle Twinkle bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxIz_5p0oOU&t=1547s

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

someone awful. posted:

looks like it's another Living Book, this one called "Ruff's Bone"! here's the Twinkle Twinkle bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxIz_5p0oOU&t=1547s

I knew the thread would come through, thanks!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Just charge him :10bux:

lol at the Redd Foxx catchphrases again. Enjoying imagining Miles' mom doing an impression of the voice and everything.

Breaking Cat News

Some reading on the subject:
https://lithub.com/charles-dickens-really-really-hated-his-fanboy-hans-christian-andersen/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/10/charles-dickens-hans-christian-andersen-letters-correspondence-auction

quote:

On his return to Denmark, Andersen, noted for his social awkwardness, appears to have become a little obsessed with the dashing English author. For nine years he sent him regular fan letters, along with books for review. When the Dane came to stay in July 1857, it was not during a good time for Dickens, who was considering leaving his wife. His serialisation of Little Dorrit had not gone down well either and he was also feverishly rehearsing his acting role in Wilkie Collins’ The Frozen Deep.

For his part, Andersen found Gad’s Hill, in Higham, Dickens’s country home, too cold, a biographer has noted. And he was also upset that no one was available to shave him in the morning.

Soon his mood swings also became a problem. He lay down on the lawn and wept after receiving a bad review and then cried again when he finally left Gad’s Hill on 15 July.

Dickens was less glum on his guest’s departure, writing on the mirror in the guest room: “Hans Andersen slept in this room for five weeks — which seemed to the family AGES!” The author is already known to have written to his friend William Jerdan six days later complaining about Andersen’s oddness.

“Whenever he got to London, he got into wild entanglements of Cabs and Sherry, and never seemed to get out of them again until he came back here, and cut out paper into all sorts of patterns, and gathered the strangest little nosegays in the woods,” he wrote.

The correspondence between the pair died out soon afterwards. But the brief relationship may not have proved entirely fruitless. Some scholars have suggested that Andersen, later described by Dickens’s daughter Kate as “a bony bore”, could have inspired the character of the toadying Uriah Heep in David Copperfield.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

Next Time: The Iron God

Poor Maude will never get laid

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Considering how he went insane after the delivery service had a delay in delivering his package, I hope Crankshaft gets a heart attack next.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/27/43 -- to come in color, so Ping Bong's fate will have to lie in the balance a bit longer.

:lmao:

Well that's it for my color ones. Hope you all enjoyed it. Thanks for posting ISO regularly, Selachian! It's one of my faves.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

At least since the 80s, and probably earlier, good guy(face) wrestlers made a significant amount of money from selling 8 x 10 pictures of themselves, especially if they were hot. Think Shawn Michaels, the Von Erich brothers, the Rock n Roll Express, prime Jeff Hardy, Jungle Boy.
Ok, so he may have been a more tough-guy face like Bruno Sanmarito, the Road Warriors, or Steve Austin. They still shared a locker room with the hot faces, and still sold photos. Unphotogenic Mick Foley still sold photos of himself.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Replace "woke up in my cousin's bed" with "vomited violently all over my cousin's bed" for my childhood version of this.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm in awe that even when being a total hack that Scarlet O'neil is still entertaining. :laffo:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/21/52

Archie 2/2-4/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 6/13-15/77

Ronny and Merry Osg -- ? Oh geez, of course it's Donny and Marie.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

please be bigfoot please just bigfoot all over society and stomp it away and make the comic be about the sasquatches and their dietary foibles and japes

It's All About The Dialogue Schultz Doesn't Write

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Murdstone posted:

:lmao:

Well that's it for my color ones. Hope you all enjoyed it. Thanks for posting ISO regularly, Selachian! It's one of my faves.

And now he remembers his name is Fred Flintstone.

Our Boarding House, in which Bus smells a rat. (June 11-13, 1925)

Our Boarding House: Cowboys Revisited (June 12, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (August 31-September 2, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Dangerous Dame (March 4, 1915)

Little Lefty (January 24-26, 1940; continuing the worrisome trend, no strip for 22, 23 or 27)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Long, drawn out, bone deep, weary sigh