Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Things running smoothly over at Twitter today

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2024/04/twitters-clumsy-pivot-to-x-com-is-a-gift-to-phishers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Reset the clock Apparently Su-57

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Reset the clock Apparently Su-57

Oh word? I'm sure there's lots of people interested in the capabilities of the SU-57 :nsa:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Zamujasa posted:

i cannot fathom an 80,000 square foot gas station. that's over half the size of the loving costco here.

what do you even do with all that space?

Ah, you got your outdoor goods, cooking goods, soft goods like shirts/hats/outdoor wear, huge jerky/deli/food prep area, a brisket carving station in the middle, 3 clusters of cashiers, probably 40-50 self-serve drink machines and tons of snacks.

Also a ton of bathrooms and full-time bathroom staff [like 80+ toilet stalls].

One part of the appeal is by design. No commercial trucks are allowed. It's technically not a truck stop. The reason is that the company wanted to target traveling women, who through their research avoid truck stops like the plague. Combine that with the ample and clean bathrooms it draws a lot of traffic.

Zamujasa posted:

that makes some sense, the largest gas station i recall stopping at was the utterly insane "eddie world" on the way home from california once and even then it just felt massive and empty. some places on the way to/from new mexico were also pretty big but even then

Is that the one on I-15 just out of Barstow past the I-40 split? Yeah that one and the "Worlds Largest Chevron" on I-15 in Jean, NV are kinda lame. They missed the point of being Bucees knock offs.

I checked out the Chevron, It had a white castle, but the place was half empty, and not enough product, plus too much energy drinks, .. like.. "Here's the monster energy section" and I'm like... yeah.. ok.

Bucee's leaned heavily into white label stuff, so there's a ton of bucee's branded food/snacks and some decent quality items. They'll have a good Lodge cookware section, and a bunch of other bric a brak... deer feeders, bbq/smokers, binoculars/sunglasses, etc.

The other places kinda missed the point, they tried to scale up a normal travel center with... nothing.

That being said, the one I'm looking forward to is Costco's planned travel centers, [named under project Oasis or something]. That should shake things up. Large costco gas stations and a costco food court with some goods for sale.

Why settle for a 7-11 or a QuickTrip Dog when you can get the 1.50 special.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zamujasa posted:

i cannot fathom an 80,000 square foot gas station. that's over half the size of the loving costco here.

what do you even do with all that space?

Weird Al posted:

They've got Allen wrenches, gerbil feeders, toilet seats, electric heaters
Trash compactors, juice extractors, shower rods and water meters
Walkie-talkies, copper wires, safety goggles, radial tires
BB pellets, rubber mallets, fans and dehumidifiers
Picture hangers, paper cutters, waffle irons, window shutters
Paint removers, window louvers, masking tape and plastic gutters
Kitchen faucets, folding tables, weather stripping, jumper cables
Hooks and tackle, grout and spackle, power foggers, spoons and ladles
Pesticides for fumigation, high-performance lubrication
Metal roofing, waterproofing, multi-purpose insulation
Air compressors, brass connectors, wrecking chisels, smoke detectors
Tire gauges, hamster cages, thermostats and bug deflectors
Trailer hitch demagnetizers, automatic circumcisers
Tennis rackets, angle brackets, Duracells and Energizers
Soffit panels, circuit breakers, vacuum cleaners, coffee makers
Calculators, generators, matching salt and pepper shakers

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I will say that my appreciation of the whole clean bathrooms thing increased a thousand fold after I started traveling with a toddler. I can stand or hover, but there’s nothing like cleaning someone else's piss off the seat so that you can put the potty seat on because your three year old needs to go RIGHT NOW.

Also, changing tables in the men's room. Still not a thing in a surprising number of places!

Big K of Justice posted:

That being said, the one I'm looking forward to is Costco's planned travel centers, [named under project Oasis or something]. That should shake things up. Large costco gas stations and a costco food court with some goods for sale.

:eyepop:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

If nothing else I hope that will decrease traffic around the pumps at actual costcos (lol good luck)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Lufthansa puts on hold all flights to Iran, fearing Iran and Israel about to start blastin'

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/germanys-lufthansa-suspends-flights-tehran-amid-middle-east-crisis-2024-04-10/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Arrath posted:

If nothing else I hope that will decrease traffic around the pumps at actual costcos (lol good luck)

I googled and didn’t see anything about that other than one post from a radio station mentioning the source for that info was a known TikTok hoaxer so probably not happening. https://mix957gr.com/is-costco-opening-a-buc-ees-style-gas-station-in-grand-rapids/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That Russia brief before the HACS by the US EUCOM commander was definitely interesting. Basically saying that if Russia continues on its path that it is going, in a year or two if they don't experience severe degradation of their capabilities in the wider European and global theater they're on the way to reaching the point that in a conventional war, all they'd need to reach the Atlantic as a land army is boots, and they will have about 2 million of them in uniform by that point, and the artillery and tanks to back them up thanks to alliances with Iran, China, and North Korea, and Europe and the US are not on track to be able to match them on the battlefield. Quantity is a quality all its own.

Their logistics are a loving mess, but 2 years is also a fairly far off amount of time for them to figure that out.

Before writing it entirely off as bullshit, this is an evaluation by people who have spent every hour of every day since the Ukraine war kicked off digging into every bit of intel on Russia they can get. Of course they could be wrong, but if they're right that's a scary thought. Two years would also put the US in the middle of a potential Trump presidency and he has said multiple times that Russia can do whatever the gently caress they want to Europe and Trump doesn't care.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 11, 2024

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hopefully we don't find out if de Gaulle will be proven right about the Force de Frappe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

Before writing it entirely off as bullshit, this is an evaluation by people who have spent every hour of every day since the Ukraine war kicked off digging into every bit of intel on Russia they can get. Of course they could be wrong, but if they're right that's a scary thought. Two years would also put the US in the middle of a potential Trump presidency and he has said multiple times that Russia can do whatever the gently caress they want to Europe and Trump doesn't care.

The ongoing war in Europe is really looking like a case study in failing to press an advantage and letting a belligerent take all the time it needed to regroup and address its failings.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tiny Timbs posted:

The ongoing war in Europe is really looking like a case study in failing to press an advantage and letting a belligerent take all the time it needed to regroup and address its failings.

Like the invasion of Crete when after day 1 the paratroopers were disorganized but British failed to realize prioritizing guarding the airfields might be a good idea to keep reinforcements away.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
He did it!

(he died)

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1778432021095653868?t=pGm0pcOnkLee0nz02HpmTA&s=19

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He ain’t dead.

If the casket don’t fit…

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, 76 ain't a bad run. If I make it to 60 I'll be surprised.

Edit: there's probably a sportsball running joke in there somewhere I dunno I don't follow it that much

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
God drat it.

I was always kinda hoping that he and Casey Anthony would start a Florida-focused true-crime podcast together.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The juice is no longer loose.

Rest in power, King.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1778435675949269424?t=13o_jfvfJUNCEoAkRwI6GA&s=19

It is funny that from Police Squad! to Naked Gun that Nordberg changed from white dude to OJ. The woke mind virus found another victim

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

If i died it

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/11/business/truong-my-lan-vietnam-fraud-death-sentence/index.html

quote:

A court in Vietnam sentenced real estate tycoon Truong My Lan Thursday to death over her role in a 304 trillion dong ($12.46 billion) financial fraud case, the country’s biggest on record, state media reported.

Her trial, begun on March 5 and ending earlier than planned, was one dramatic result of a campaign against corruption that the leader of the ruling Communist Party, Nguyen Phu Trong, has pledged for years to stamp out.

Lan, the chairwoman of real estate developer Van Thinh Phat Holdings Group, was found guilty of embezzlement, bribery and violations of banking rules at the end of a trial in the business hub of Ho Chi Minh City, state media said.

I feel conflicted about this lol

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Rest in power, King.

yea dude, the guy who murdered his wife and her lover is a total king

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Crab Dad posted:

He ain’t dead.

If the casket don’t fit…

... you must not commit (to the cold, dark, earth)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

She and her accomplices stole 12 billion dollars from some of the least rich people on earth. There ain't nothing to be conflicted about

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Trillion dong

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

She and her accomplices stole 12 billion dollars from some of the least rich people on earth. There ain't nothing to be conflicted about

Plenty to feel.conflicted about :
1)Death penalty versus life imprisonment.
2) Fairness and independence of the Vietnamese courts, BBC quoted one former state department expert as calling this a show trial.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Soylent Pudding posted:

Plenty to feel.conflicted about :
1)Death penalty versus life imprisonment.
2) Fairness and independence of the Vietnamese courts, BBC quoted one former state department expert as calling this a show trial.

As an American im not gonna throw stones about court fairness to anyone else.

With you on the first one but if one execution could normalize other billionaires doing hard time id sleep a little easier.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Rest in power, King.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The death penalty shouldn't exist, and it seems like it's being used in a politically motivated sham trial in this case to boot? In the world of rainbows and unicorns that lives between my ears it wouldn't be happening at all.

Gonna be saving my sympathy for people who didn't steal billions from other people though. Not gonna shed any tears for this victim beyond "It shouldn't be happening to anyone."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

That Works posted:

As an American im not gonna throw stones about court fairness to anyone else.
You really, really can. For all the glaring and thoroughly unjust faults in our judicial system, there's a lot to be said for it compared to others.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is that one megadong in your pocket or just forty bucks?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

She had her time to either pay off the right people or not commit crimes.

She did neither.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

You really, really can. For all the glaring and thoroughly unjust faults in our judicial system, there's a lot to be said for it compared to others.

Citation needed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have no issue with billionaires finding a speedy path through the criminal justice system

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

orange juche posted:

I'd like to ask if these are the same sorts of nerds who predicted Russia would molly whop Ukraine in the first place or that the gulf war would be some horrible slog with mass casualties? I'm not saying I'm some sort of military genius with access to intel, but I don't think we're getting a reorganization of the Russian army like 1943 soviets that where arguably one of two greatest military forces on the planet.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

yea dude, the guy who murdered his wife and her lover is a total king

Umm he's also a hall of fame running back, so...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Trillion dong

enough about my movie choice for friday night. :mad:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Umm he's also a hall of fame running back, so...

true enough, who's to really say the armed robbing accused(lol) murderer was a bad dude

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Who then sold a book titled if i did it: confessions of a killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if i did it