Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

If Destiny 3 is truly in the future, Prismatic is probably the best thing they could possibly build on. Destiny 2 has a lot of "me too" effects that are trying way too hard to fit the relevant class into a core fantasy - probably the most glaring is for Titans, who have a roaming melee super per subclass and a method of healing in melee for every element except Stasis. Unifying character builds will both massively open up buildcrafting options while also drastically cutting down on redundancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

Interesting. I wonder if they have any plans to keep adding aspects to Prismatic as time goes on.

I have to assume it will get a few updates/expansions during the episodes in much the same fashion strand and stasis did in their respective seasons.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like I was probably still poo poo at the game at 100 hours in, but then again D2Y1 was a hell of a time.

Going through Whisper again was fairly cathartic. I remember my first few times back in the day involved me being just total rear end at the jumping sections and just generally being kind of useless.

and yeah, I think there was a long time where I played the game a lot but just did not fully engage with buildcraft and etc. Just shoot guns I like and collect loot.

I feel your guy on this. I started D2 a just a bit before Forsaken came out, and back then I DID NOT understand how any of the buildcrafting was supposed to work at all. I didn't really understand how exotic weapons and armor could interplay. The Light 3.0 class changes really made a lot more sense to me when they introduced the 'verb' concepts and such. I feel like they also added a lot more visual cues as to when things are actually working and what is going on. Granted, now the screen can be like a trapper keeper covered in sparklers, which maybe is a bit much sometimes, so maybe that's even more overwhelming.

idk what the point of this post is other than to try and say i feel for this poor bastard and hope he gits gud

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I feel your guy on this. I started D2 a just a bit before Forsaken came out, and back then I DID NOT understand how any of the buildcrafting was supposed to work at all.

To be fair, that's because there wasn't any

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lib and let die posted:

alright I guess it's time for a reinstall

I think I'm ready to be hurt again too.

Does Skullfort still work?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Failson posted:

I think I'm ready to be hurt again too.

Does Skullfort still work?

It remains a top tier pick for arc punchomancers imo

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I would say in a knockout world with the peregrine changes there's a very small use case for skullfort, but it still does what it does.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Okay so it sounds like Prismatic is less “put any fragments and aspects you want on gently caress it yolo” and more “we made the sixth subclass out of reused bits from the other five.” Bummer but at least it’s not the game breaking shitshow it sounded like at first.

I’m now realizing what hell the exotic class items are going to be for inventory management. Two perk slots that each have 70+ possible options and you’ll have to keep multiple copies of it for each combination you want. Those 100 extra vault slots are gonna fill up fast.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Prismatic seems pretty fun, it's not really another subclass, but it is a fun fusion for the final expnasion. I'm keen, as a Hunter main, to throw Void and Arc together, and honestly it's just going to largely recreate the vibe I've got going this season with Stasis and Solar lol

As for the class item, I'm probably gonna keep only like a handful with the combos I want. I don't even keep all the exotics anyway, because it's like, I know I'm never gonna use half of them unless they get hella buffed, and then I'll just get one at Rahool since it's unlocked anyway.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

Okay so it sounds like Prismatic is less “put any fragments and aspects you want on gently caress it yolo” and more “we made the sixth subclass out of reused bits from the other five.” Bummer but at least it’s not the game breaking shitshow it sounded like at first.

I’m now realizing what hell the exotic class items are going to be for inventory management. Two perk slots that each have 70+ possible options and you’ll have to keep multiple copies of it for each combination you want. Those 100 extra vault slots are gonna fill up fast.

:psyduck:

Well, that explains the 100 vault spaces they're giving us

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Having done a 50 wave mission and failed at wave 48 im not sure I want to do this activity ever again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They probably should have saved extinguish for legend yeah

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got like eight Elsie's Rifles finishing a 50 wave on normal lmao. How many versions of that drat gun are there now anyway

It kept ejecting a friend and a pubbie joined in instead, outside the fireteam. I thought there was no matchmaking on for the 50 wave one? He was pretty chill about leaving to let our buddy back in though, considering he could've just rode it out to the boss, we were at the final wave. The ogre is rough lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 11, 2024

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
BTW if you join an Onslaught in progress, it will only give you credit for Waves that you were present for. So even if you join in Wave 2, you'll finish the activity with 49 Waves and won't get any special loots, other than what you would get for doing Wave 10

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love that within a couple days the Community (Bungie forums and Reddit) people are complaining about the min/maxing and also that the harder waves are actually hard. The classic conundrum of Destiny really. So the solutions are apparently make everything easier or add better rewards to the harder stuff (which is fine but will make people complain harder because now the "best rewards" are "gatekept" against "difficulty").

Onslaught sure loves to throw their guns at you it rules. I've not been playing that much because life but I've had like 4 Elsie's Shinies, because I accidentally attuned to it. But that's a pretty dang good reward rate. I made it to wave 39 with pubbies before we all blew ourselves up which is pretty dang funny. It's just a fun dang mode.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Onslaught/harder content makes people swallow the hard pill that maybe their builds aren't that good or they aren't that good. Not to say there aren't times where the difficulty has been out of wack or hard in a bad way (Neomuna).

It just feels so bad to be shooting a primary at times and idk how to fix it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

fast cars loose anus posted:

Having done a 50 wave mission and failed at wave 48 im not sure I want to do this activity ever again

10 waves is way too short and 50 waves is way too long. My game crashed on a wave in the high thirties earlier today and I instantly lost all interest in playing for the rest of the day.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq7MTJDGEmE

this has been my favorite titan build of late and is absolutely awesome for Onslaught. Just giant fire tornadoes everywhere

Parasite also does absurd damage with Roaring Flames and Solar Surge x2 active

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBX posted:

It just feels so bad to be shooting a primary at times and idk how to fix it.

The weirdest thing is legendary primaries on Normal difficulty feel pretty fine (assuming you're using something with relevant perks, have a build, use verbs, etc), right up until about wave like 30 or 40, where you'd be at -15 or -20. Unfortunately given Legend is -10 to start you're hitting that after the first set or two, and then they crater off fairly quickly. Pugilist/Swashbuckler Trustee with a Shards build worked reliably because of the loop it created, basically having high uptime of Radiant and x5 Swashbuckler.

But that's been a long running issue now, you'd think they'd just give all primaries a 10-20% buff or something and call it good, cause it isn't like they'd be replacing specials even with a decently large buff.

Edit: Also Proximity Knife and other wait and explode things are extremely good in Onslaught, which is great because of how little use they usually get in PvE. Lay them traps.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Onslaught rules. Finished all of the weapon quests and all but the two raid weekly quests. Finished two normal 50 waves today as well. Pretty darn fun!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Getting error coded out of Onslaught right after killing the final ogre and before loot spawned does not engender good feelings in me.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
PSA:

There is now a Twitch channel for checkpoint bots! You just set your fireteam invites to public, type the command into chat (there's a bot posting the list of commands) and when it's your turn the bot will send you an invite. You can see the list of available checkpoints and the queue in the video. No more trying to get in over and over again!
https://twitch.tv/LuckBot9

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 11, 2024

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hmmm y'know, Prism actually seems very reasonably balanced. They were cautious in picking what Aspects and Abilities to put in the pot; not the weakest and not the strongest.

It seems designed around having a double-exotic ability class item in order to hit parity with the current subclasses.

Unless there is an exotic class item that goes super hard I am struggling to see what a Prismatic Titan build could do better than Strand or Solar in difficult content.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The more I find out and think about Prismatic the more I'm for it. It isn't better than mono-element builds, it's just gonna be different. Which is more desirable for me anyway. There's a lot of fun builds that are bouncing around that may not end up endgame viable but could be a lot of fun. I think largely the subclasses we have are "solved problems" as far as best choices go so if nothing else this gets people experimenting with things again I hope.

Also if we get any more subclasses (it could happen especially if they're throwing caution to the wind a bit more) then we get the dedicated kit, plus whatever elements get mixed into Prismatic, which would be great.

Also it pink :3

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

RBA Starblade posted:

I got like eight Elsie's Rifles finishing a 50 wave on normal lmao. How many versions of that drat gun are there now anyway

When you attune to a gun you have a 50% drop chance for it, and Elsie's is the first one they make you do. You can remove it at the statue if you want.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hackan Slash posted:

When you attune to a gun you have a 50% drop chance for it, and Elsie's is the first one they make you do. You can remove it at the statue if you want.

I hadn't attuned yet, I did that after

It just really wanted me to have Elsie's gun lol

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

BTW if you join an Onslaught in progress, it will only give you credit for Waves that you were present for. So even if you join in Wave 2, you'll finish the activity with 49 Waves and won't get any special loots, other than what you would get for doing Wave 10

ok that's pretty funny

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Virtually all the long onslaughts I've done involved multiple quits and backfills. I'm not sure if it's the game crashing or people bailing after they finish a quest

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Virtually all the long onslaughts I've done involved multiple quits and backfills. I'm not sure if it's the game crashing or people bailing after they finish a quest

Both, the game's pretty unstable right now

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Everyone keeps saying that prismatic doesn't invalidate old subclasses but it seems like it might but not due to power reasons. The deep dive says Transcendent also allows you to break the shields of special combatants standing in your way on your journey through The Pale Heart of the Traveler. These combatants have been bound by The Witness and are invulnerable to incoming damage otherwise. Unless there is some other way to be transcendent then either you solo or some members of your party will always have to be prismatic anywhere those enemies will appear. I'm sure Bungie will think of this and include like a stand in on the ground but if not then whelp.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ChaosReaper posted:

Everyone keeps saying that prismatic doesn't invalidate old subclasses but it seems like it might but not due to power reasons. The deep dive says Transcendent also allows you to break the shields of special combatants standing in your way on your journey through The Pale Heart of the Traveler. These combatants have been bound by The Witness and are invulnerable to incoming damage otherwise. Unless there is some other way to be transcendent then either you solo or some members of your party will always have to be prismatic anywhere those enemies will appear. I'm sure Bungie will think of this and include like a stand in on the ground but if not then whelp.

That's just the same thing they did in Lightfall where there were places you could only navigate and objects you could only damage with Strand. It's to encourage you to use the new thing, but those enemies with the Transcendant shields aren't going to exist outside of the campaign, which most players will only play once. You're not gonna see enemies that can only be damaged by Transcendance in patrol or the raid or in nightfalls or other day-to-day gameplay.

You will probably need to have Prismatic equipped for most of if not the entire Final Shape campaign, though, yeah.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You will probably be forced to use prismatic to advance through the campaign missions, like the strand bits in lightfall

Remember all the people who chose not to use strand to fight Calus and then complained that it took forever to grind him down with something else? Bungie does, and they won't give you the option to ruin the encounter for yourself this time

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 11, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

haveblue posted:

You will probably be forced to use prismatic to advance through the campaign missions, like the strand bits in lightfall

Remember all the people who chose not to use stand to fight Calus and then complained that it took forever to grind him down with something else? Bungie does, and they won't give you the option to ruin the encounter for yourself this time

Those people ruled, I loved how legend calus filtered a bunch of goons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just cheesed Calus under the platform for the first phase and on top of the roots on the second like a good GM player.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I abused the effectively infinite grapple with Assassin's Cowl.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I used a krait with subsistence+swashbuckler because I thought the grapple thing was a melee ability. Then telesto and a machine gun. Then I drank a bunch of coffee and played as best as I could.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Leviathan's Breath chunked his shield down real well as it turned out

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ChaosReaper posted:

I'm sure Bungie will think

Heh

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I used a strand super on him and he died, but I think Titan super was significantly better than the other two for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, Onslaught & Into the Light are making quite a splash!

You can tell where people are going to work on their quests & such