Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Solefald posted:

This is because the thread requested to not be moderated. The IKs are the only ones who are conceivably allowed to do anything in this thread. The best action would be to PM Koos directly and explain what has been happening and that you are requesting some action from the Moderators, otherwise they will continue to keep a hands off policy.

oh ok

Solefald posted:

I've tried to speak to 99 on a personal level

lol for serious tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009

Solefald posted:

This is because the thread requested to not be moderated. The IKs are the only ones who are conceivably allowed to do anything in this thread.

There's been inaction over a couple of incidents recently. The last time this happened, Owl was given IK powers - but IK status doesn't seem to carry over when the thread is rebooted seasonally.

I don't have PMs, but would that fall to Koos or someone else to give Owl IK powers?

Pretty poo poo to read this morning, to be honest. Solidarity to all the trans posters/lurkers.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

Some women probably feel extremely uncomfortable seeing a trans women naked in a change room, for various reasons. I admit I don't know how to nicely solve that problem, but I know "separate but equal" isn't equal at all.

It's a very complicated area because there are so many concerns involved in things like this, many of which are contradictory. Some people might get the vapours because they caught a glimpse of some unexpected genitals, some might actually be legitimately triggered due to their experiences. Some might be afraid that someone of the opposite gender is going to assault them, but you can also be assaulted by people of your own gender. Some think children need to be shielded from seeing the opposite sex naked until they're adults, some think it's all healthy and natural and a part of normal development. Some people are disabled or have injuries which some people can find repulsive but disabled people have as much right and need to use the facilities, and who's to say what is/isn't offensive to the eye. Much of it is down to an unnecessary prudishness and prurience about sex and human bodies in general but assaults happen and women in particular may need actual protection or at least reassurance of it existing.

The solution isn't to single out one of the many groups that society has mostly unjustified concerns about and are probably more likely to be the ones needing protection compared to the others demanding it. The solution in this case of a changing room is to have single occupancy room/cubicles, which requires investment in the facilities (so, hah!). Or educating the whole population out of its ridiculous hangups about nakedness and sex, which could go a long way toward solving lots of other issues (so, even bigger hah!). Like many areas the transgender component of this moral panic is far less problematic than many others yet they're the ones expected to make the accommodation or be outright excluded. I'm hoping we're not the only ones seeing this for the obvious culture war political point-scoring nonsense it is.

Anyway, solidarity to anyone affected by all this transphobic horseshit flying around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I specifically pointed out to koos that I don't get IK powers when the thread is remade and he came up with some poo poo about how I definitely would. But as per usual that isn't how it works and he doesn't stick to any suggestion for more than five minutes.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Solefald posted:

The IKs are the only ones who are conceivably allowed to do anything in this thread. The best action would be to PM Koos directly and explain what has been happening and that you are requesting some action from the Moderators, otherwise they will continue to keep a hands off policy.

Counterpoint: My previous 6-er by a non IK strongly indicates that the D&D mods selectively make up the rules as they go along.

A D&D mod could have stepped in and rightfully probed '99, or made Owly an IK for this thread or literally done anything, but they have chosen not to. Koos has made it evidently clear in the IP thread they are only interested in creating toxic and divisive debate for 'comedy' reasons.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lemurtron posted:

It's a very complicated area because there are so many concerns involved in things like this, many of which are contradictory. Some people might get the vapours because they caught a glimpse of some unexpected genitals, some might actually be legitimately triggered due to their experiences. Some might be afraid that someone of the opposite gender is going to assault them, but you can also be assaulted by people of your own gender. Some think children need to be shielded from seeing the opposite sex naked until they're adults, some think it's all healthy and natural and a part of normal development. Some people are disabled or have injuries which some people can find repulsive but disabled people have as much right and need to use the facilities, and who's to say what is/isn't offensive to the eye. Much of it is down to an unnecessary prudishness and prurience about sex and human bodies in general but assaults happen and women in particular may need actual protection or at least reassurance of it existing.

The solution isn't to single out one of the many groups that society has mostly unjustified concerns about and are probably more likely to be the ones needing protection compared to the others demanding it. The solution in this case of a changing room is to have single occupancy room/cubicles, which requires investment in the facilities (so, hah!). Or educating the whole population out of its ridiculous hangups about nakedness and sex, which could go a long way toward solving lots of other issues (so, even bigger hah!). Like many areas the transgender component of this moral panic is far less problematic than many others yet they're the ones expected to make the accommodation or be outright excluded. I'm hoping we're not the only ones seeing this for the obvious culture war political point-scoring nonsense it is.

Anyway, solidarity to anyone affected by all this transphobic horseshit flying around.

It's also worth noting that a lot of the noise around bathroom panic is just a straight-up repeat of the bigot playbook used against gay men in the 80s. This poo poo works and they know it works because they did it before.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Testro posted:

There's been inaction over a couple of incidents recently. The last time this happened, Owl was given IK powers - but IK status doesn't seem to carry over when the thread is rebooted seasonally.

I don't have PMs, but would that fall to Koos or someone else to give Owl IK powers?

Pretty poo poo to read this morning, to be honest. Solidarity to all the trans posters/lurkers.

Yeah, usually a Moderator of the subforum (can be the others, not just Koos) will ask an Admin to give someone IK powers. I think it just gets forgotten about when the thread is refreshed.

Obv the other course of action is to make reports. Multiple reports on one person is more likely to get their attention so I'll always stress the importance of making them, especially if you don't have PMs.

You can also discuss stuff in the D&D Feedback thread when it's open or make a thread in SAD to raise the concerns more urgently.

HooperUK's advice about putting someone on ignore is sound too. Not necessarily as a long term solution of course but it will just help until something more is done about the person and situation.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Solefald posted:

Yeah, usually a Moderator of the subforum (can be the others, not just Koos) will ask an Admin to give someone IK powers. I think it just gets forgotten about when the thread is refreshed.

Obv the other course of action is to make reports. Multiple reports on one person is more likely to get their attention so I'll always stress the importance of making them, especially if you don't have PMs.

You can also discuss stuff in the D&D Feedback thread when it's open or make a thread in SAD to raise the concerns more urgently.

HooperUK's advice about putting someone on ignore is sound too. Not necessarily as a long term solution of course but it will just help until something more is done about the person and situation.

I'll be honest, a lot of these suggestions are theoretically sound, practically terrible. Especially posting in a closed thread or raising something in the cesspit that is SAD.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Ps. I'm not here trying to make excuses. I've always been vocal about how badly this thread is handled :shrug:

Just laying down some things that can be done in case folk weren't fully aware.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Always seems to kick off whenever Guava isn't around. Think we're gonna need to kidnap him and clockwork orange him to the thread.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I specifically pointed out to koos that I don't get IK powers when the thread is remade and he came up with some poo poo about how I definitely would. But as per usual that isn't how it works and he doesn't stick to any suggestion for more than five minutes.

Is there actually any need to have seasonal threads? Would it just be easier to let you IK one thread in perpetuity.

As a bonus, once enough people are sick of your IK-ship we can stick a VONC on it and collapse the thread

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is no reason why one of the mods can't get off their arse and do a single task four times a year.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns
As a years long lurker I really want 99 threadbanned as well. This is one of my little happy spaces to read opinions from lots of good posters, and it really sucks to see so many of them having to put up with this nonsense from yet another JAQoff Pissflaps-lite.

Mods need to make sure OF gets IK status each thread so we don't have to put up with this crap and other drive by poo poo posters when some events happen.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

It is worth remembering the existence of the ignore button too.

I use it quite a lot thanks, but in this case it appears to not be enough and it's affecting the thread beyond normal parameters.

Action & results would be appreciated from whoever this poo poo lands on..

edit:

Solefald posted:

This is because the thread requested to not be moderated. The IKs are the only ones who are conceivably allowed to do anything in this thread. The best action would be to PM Koos directly and explain what has been happening and that you are requesting some action from the Moderators, otherwise they will continue to keep a hands off policy.

I've tried to speak to 99 on a personal level and that's pretty much all I can do at this current time. :shrug:

Thanks for the clarification. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 11, 2024

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Honest Davion posted:

As a years long lurker I really want 99 threadbanned as well. This is one of my little happy spaces to read opinions from lots of good posters, and it really sucks to see so many of them having to put up with this nonsense from yet another JAQoff Pissflaps-lite.

Mods need to make sure OF gets IK status each thread so we don't have to put up with this crap and other drive by poo poo posters when some events happen.

I used to post regularly, but with how utterly hostile the UK is to people like me right now I've largely dipped and given that the D&D mod team tolerate bullshit like 99's is an indication that I was right to dip.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Solefald posted:

Ps. I'm not here trying to make excuses. I've always been vocal about how badly this thread is handled :shrug:

Just laying down some things that can be done in case folk weren't fully aware.

Seems to me the problem lies with the D&D Mod then?

All of this is news to me, as more of a lurker to this thread. How is the thread badly handled?

Honest Davion posted:

I agree with this. It echoes my thoughts exactly.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I genuinely don't understand the commotion. Everyone says Wes is a transphobic oval office who threatens their safety. I think he's a bit of a wimp.

All men are men and women women.

I'm just an idiot troll oval office whose opinion doesn't matter so to those upset just remember that I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honest Davion posted:

Welcome and never feel afraid to post. Most of us don't bite!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

Do you love me enough to eat a chocolate orange? :kiddo:

100%.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I genuinely don't understand the commotion. Everyone says Wes is a transphobic oval office who threatens their safety. I think he's a bit of a wimp.

All men are men and women women.

I'm just an idiot troll oval office whose opinion doesn't matter so to those upset just remember that I guess.

Get the gently caress out of here

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honest Davion posted:

Yep same here. This thread is a really valuable resource for me and they regularly make it close to unreadable.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I reported your post

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Even having NJ on ignore is annoying because they post all the time and it still notifies you that they've posted/you see most of their posts when people quote/reply.

That's my lurker input.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

I reported your post

Which posts should they look at?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Read the room and gently caress off

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

DND is the problem more than the thread. The BYOB cool chat sub would serve it better

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Read the room and gently caress off

Ok. So no posts then. Just a general vibe

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Trying posted:

DND is the problem more than the thread. The BYOB cool chat sub would serve it better

The only problem with it being moved to the CCCC would be that it would die a death. It was happening with the UK Chat Thread when it was in there and that's why we had it moved to GBS to get a bit more activity. Boooo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BigHandsVince posted:

Even having NJ on ignore is annoying because they post all the time and it still notifies you that they've posted/you see most of their posts when people quote/reply.

That's my lurker input.

Yeah on desktop I have an old 'true ignore' Tampermonkey script that still somehow works will completely invisible ignored users posts (not even the 'this ignored poster posted' links show up) and also anyone quoting that poster will have that post invisible. Makes for some short page threads sometimes, when you go to a new page and there's like four posts you know some stupid poo poo has gone down.

Doesn't help on mobile etc of course.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Owl your buttons are back :sickos:

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah on desktop I have an old 'true ignore' Tampermonkey script that still somehow works will completely invisible ignored users posts (not even the 'this ignored poster posted' links show up) and also anyone quoting that poster will have that post invisible. Makes for some short page threads sometimes, you know when you go to a new page and there's like four posts you know some stupid poo poo has gone down.

Doesn't help on mobile etc of course.

Thanks!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jesus christ get the gently caress outta here no one likes you

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns

Tesseraction posted:

Welcome and never feel afraid to post. Most of us don't bite!

Cheers Tess, thread always just moves way fast for me, I mean look at it go now!

I just wanted to show there are probably quite a few more like me that love reading this thread and get tired of it being shat up so often. Obvious props for us being the most easily trolled but that's certainly just because generally we just care about STUFF.

On that note, much love to our trans posters. I probably get much more exposure to opinions and thoughts from trans people here than anywhere else and I think it's made me a better person. I live in a particular tory hellscape so I try to push back against transphobic poo poo whenever I encounter it which is sadly so much more common it feel. Sometimes I think I even get through to these people a bit sometimes. It feels like all I can do sometimes and it sucks, but I know it has to be so much harder for all the people having their basic rights stomped on all the time...

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

Jesus christ get the gently caress outta here no one likes you

Why not?

Like I don't think that should be necessary anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

There is no reason why one of the mods can't get off their arse and do a single task four times a year.

Aight but nevertheless they don't seem to be doing that so

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Honest Davion posted:

Cheers Tess, thread always just moves way fast for me, I mean look at it go now!

I just wanted to show there are probably quite a few more like me that love reading this thread and get tired of it being shat up so often. Obvious props for us being the most easily trolled but that's certainly just because generally we just care about STUFF.

On that note, much love to our trans posters. I probably get much more exposure to opinions and thoughts from trans people here than anywhere else and I think it's made me a better person. I live in a particular tory hellscape so I try to push back against transphobic poo poo whenever I encounter it which is sadly so much more common it feel. Sometimes I think I even get through to these people a bit sometimes. It feels like all I can do sometimes and it sucks, but I know it has to be so much harder for all the people having their basic rights stomped on all the time...

It's tough, but it's always useful to remember that the actual TERF population is pretty drat low. It's just that a bunch of them happen to have national newspaper columns, or are editors of said newspapers.

Richybird
Apr 12, 2007
hi im rich

Honest Davion posted:

Same here. Go gently caress yourself NJAN99.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Hi mfcrocker! I hope you come back more permanently, I remember always enjoying your posts when you were in here more regularly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Can we possibly have one or two other IK's? There are a few thread regulars who would have immediately stamped down on this bullshit the moment it started

The first name that came to my head was Crispix, so I'd like to nominated them (should they wish to have the power)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

i'm not having god knows how long of people having to put up with a loving attention vampire getting their jollies out of being juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust hateful enough to people to get away with it, a massive bollock was dropped when pissflaps was allowed to get away with that - i don't think anyone needs a sequel
Yeah it’s a great shame seeing cool people on offsite places say they don’t post here anymore because of certain posters being allowed to hang around. This thread is very good at being supportive and welcoming of all varieties of people and viewpoints, but not very good at drawing a line when the occasional one or two people are clearly just cunts trying to make things miserable.

HopperUK posted:

It is worth remembering the existence of the ignore button too.
A useful tool but only for the individual using it, not the community.