Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
My pawn very suddenly went "WE DON'T NEED TACTICS! VICTORY IS ASSURED" and his eyes were now orange, and with no nearby brine, I found the nearest functioning stone near a cliff, threw him off, and watched him plummet to his death. I waited for the counter to fully kill him before touching the stone to restore him. I needed to make sure he was fully dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Neeksy posted:

My pawn very suddenly went "WE DON'T NEED TACTICS! VICTORY IS ASSURED" and his eyes were now orange, and with no nearby brine, I found the nearest functioning stone near a cliff, threw him off, and watched him plummet to his death. I waited for the counter to fully kill him before touching the stone to restore him. I needed to make sure he was fully dead.

:allears:
Dragonsplague is a loving genius mechanic, truly.

I'm pretty sure that was a normal Straightforward pawn line. lmao

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You've said that before, but I don't think even Straightforward pawns have lines in the middle of combat about how tactics are unnecessary. Goon was almost certainly justified in defenestrating his pawn, especially if he had ~the eyes~.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are pawns in NG and NG+ in different pools?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

You've said that before, but I don't think even Straightforward pawns have lines in the middle of combat about how tactics are unnecessary. Goon was almost certainly justified in defenestrating his pawn, especially if he had ~the eyes~.

That specific line is deffo dragon's ligma, the pawn from my friend who's actively cultivating the plague said it during my test run and he was also a calm pawn.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

That specific line is deffo dragon's ligma, the pawn from my friend who's actively cultivating the plague said it during my test run and he was also a calm pawn.

Huh...I guess I've had dragon's ligma more often than I thought, but I'm just built different, so I never had to care about it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I do think there are some lines like that without being infected - depending on the other pawns sometimes they'll respond with a line about overconfidence.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Are pawns in NG and NG+ in different pools?

as far as i can tell there's just level, naturally it'll just sort out that pawns past a certain point are probably in NG+ territory

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They have normal lines where they say'll something like 'you destroyed that enemy, Master!!', and then another (usually Calm) pawn chastises them for being overconfident.

If they're specifically talking about how tactics or strategy are unnecessary because they're godlike, that's the Dragon STD 100%.

e: I understand that this line might not stand out to some people, as tactics really are unnecessary since the game is easy + pawns just do whatever the hell they want anyway

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 11, 2024

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Do I have to be careful about hired pawns having the Dragonblight, or will those pawns simply pass it to my own pawn and that's who I have to keep an eye on? In other words, is it possible that a hired pawn is the one to go nuclear? So far I've only seen it once, and it was my pawn.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm fairly confident that once you finish the game the first time, regardless of your ending, your pawn catches the STD regardless of the damage they do or don't take in a fight with a draconic enemy.
Reason why fairly confident: I backed my save up before the end of the game and restored it after finishing it and installed a mod that shows you your dragonsplague level. I kept my dragonplague at 0 out of 10 with a hotkey mod before fighting the dragon and used the arrow of unmaking on the dragon to kill it without contact. When it loaded back up, my pawn had a level of 2 so I think it's likely that you automatically get it.

So once you get up to level 40+ and you're reaching pawns who have mainlined the game and finished despite being fairly low level, you're more likely to catch the clap.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Volte posted:

Do I have to be careful about hired pawns having the Dragonblight, or will those pawns simply pass it to my own pawn and that's who I have to keep an eye on? In other words, is it possible that a hired pawn is the one to go nuclear? So far I've only seen it once, and it was my pawn.

Hired pawns can have it and go nuclear.
If they're holding their head or have pink eyes, it's really obvious when they do have the eyes, lob them in the ocean.

Probably worth lobbing your own pawn in the ocean then and then treating them to a hair cut (move sheen one notch and you won't affect their appearance significantly) so you can regain the affinity lost by them being forfit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Volte posted:

Hired pawns can go nuclear. That's how I destroyed Vernworth a few days ago.

They will generally pass it around to each other, but even if you have a full party it is possible for it to progress to the final stage regardless of which pawn has it. If your main pawn is the one who has it and you don't want to lose affinity by killing them, I would suggest simply heading out into the wilderness, camping until they no longer have it, and then brining the support pawn that does have it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Hired pawns can go nuclear. That's how I destroyed Vernworth a few days ago.

If your main pawn is the one who has it and you don't want to lose affinity by killing them, I would suggest simply heading out into the wilderness, camping until they no longer have it, and then brining the support pawn that does have it.

If you can spare the 10k, the haircut gives +50 affinity (15 min soft cooldown, 2 or so hour cooldown after about 200 gain) and brining them loses you -25, so the haircut will always gain your loss from brining them unless you're doing it constantly (and one brine should recent the STD counter)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you can spare the 10k, the haircut gives +50 affinity (15 min soft cooldown, 2 or so hour cooldown after about 200 gain) and brining them loses you -25, so the haircut will always gain your loss from brining them unless you're doing it constantly (and one brine should recent the STD counter)

True. However, I think camping (so you don't risk blowing up a town) until they no longer have it and then brining the support pawn that does is still a reliable option, if you can't spare the 10k/Book of Metamorphosis or don't want to kill your pawn for RP reasons, since I'm pretty sure this gets rid of the 'blight completely. Except maybe during the (spoilers) post-game, where apparently it is always present to some extent.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You can also just dismiss hired pawns with the clap, you don't have to brine them!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You can also just dismiss hired pawns with the clap, you don't have to brine them!

Soemtimes pawns are annoying and deserve it. I don't know what was with one I just chucked off a cliff but she was always like, either a mile in front of or behind the group at all times and would never attack useful targets. So there'd be hobgoblins charging at the casters every time they tried to cast a spell and this pawn was just off harassing rabbits.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not a sociopath or anything but I did find out you can murder the poo poo out of the pawns roaming the wild, especially the ones that approach you to hire them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You can also huck one over your shoulder and bring them along as a draftee to any nearby fights!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I wish there was some way to force a warrior with catapult launch to activate it when I want them to. Every time I see someplace it would be good for I drag a warrior up there, and they use it 50 times on the trip out when there's a single wolf on the screen, then stand around and tell me I look like maybe I'm lost when I'm standing at the destination using "To me!" or "Help!" commands.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last night i started an oxcart to Melve and stepped away to handle something, and when i got back i was pleasantly surprised to see the game was giving nice scenic angles as the cart rolled along in real time. So i decided to settle in and see what it'd be like if you let it play out, since i know there's way more than a single possible encounter on the road. After a griffin destroyed the cart i got curious if it was even possible to travel like that, specifically if it was possible to do so while letting your pawns handle everything.

So far the farthest I've gotten is about halfway to Melve and three destroyed carts before the day ended. One of the oxen loaded in in Vernsworth with no cart and the broken yoke dangling from its neck, but after i waited for another cart it was back to normal

E: My sorc just cast meteor near the cart and i spent the whole time watching and thinking about how if she destroyed the cart, dry cat was getting a bath

E2: after 2 in game days, looks like the farthest you can get is around the bridge by Mt. alles tunnel. At some point in the future I'm going to see if clearing the path from melve to vernworth, then taking the cart, will work

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 11, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

I wish there was some way to force a warrior with catapult launch to activate it when I want them to. Every time I see someplace it would be good for I drag a warrior up there, and they use it 50 times on the trip out when there's a single wolf on the screen, then stand around and tell me I look like maybe I'm lost when I'm standing at the destination using "To me!" or "Help!" commands.

It'd have made sense if we could customize the UI a bit more? Like how we can't alter the item shortcuts, which kind of makes them useless because the down arrow changes every time you pick up a new type of potato, up arrow will always just be basic health potions if you have any and one's just taken up with opening your item menu which is easily done just by hitting the menu button. Imagine if they'd let us just customize what each of the d-pad shotcut buttons do, so you could order pawns to do specific moves or tactics; that'd be real neat and help a lot in regards to problems like your pawn just refusing to use the weakness of a target.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Coolness Averted posted:

Incredibly mild take: The game's biggest flaw is they expanded the map way more than they filled it in. I thought that elf was hard to miss, but I also bumped into him really early.

When the game nails stuff like "you read a sign about X, find an NPC muttering about a different NPC's connection to X, so go and find and talk to that person and get a quest" or a merchant out of the blue asks you to do something, it's really cool.

Unfortunately, more often than not it's all dead ends. After enough false starts and seeing a vast potempkin village with no real interactions with things that catch your eye, I can see why some players just start tuning out everything but the quests that start with cutscenes or lock your camera and start a forced dialogue.

Also I'm 60 hours in, and I'm still not even sure what hailing actually does or if there's ever a situation I'd want to do it instead of talking to an NPC.

The 'rescue boy from wolves' quest I managed thanks to being incredibly jaded, and would have been hosed if I just trusted the problem to be on my end instead of the game, yeah.

"Hmm, the ask for clues step 1 isn't closing... Option 1. I am simply not trying hard enough to find all the random clue NPCs... OR..."
*runs down the main road 1,000 feet outside of the yellow quest sphere, talks to lady being shoved by cart ox*
"aaaand quest progress."

There is a reason I wildly flipflop between "Head on in mostly blind-oh boy! That cool anti minotaur mace I knew existed but didn't check the location of!" and "But double check if I am not going in the complete opposite direction"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 11, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

By the way where's the second house in Battahl? I haven't found it yet, or at least not the person selling it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nuebot posted:

By the way where's the second house in Battahl? I haven't found it yet, or at least not the person selling it.

theyre up by the temple area IIRC

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm not a sociopath or anything but I did find out you can murder the poo poo out of the pawns roaming the wild, especially the ones that approach you to hire them.

*forced conversation* I’M ATTENTIVE AND LOY*sounds of brine*

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They're just trying to be helpful, be nice. :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Owl Inspector posted:

*forced conversation* I’M ATTENTIVE AND LOY*sounds of brine*

You can usually tell what pawns will try to engage you in conversation because they'll raise their hand and try to hail you like you do to npcs. So if you spot them you can get the drop on them with a barrel of explosives or something.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

They're just trying to be helpful, be nice. :(
"How are you doing best friend for life, Jackal also known as Jackal?"
"I can speak elvish!"
"Wow you really, really love that I taught you that huh? What about you, random hire?"
"The sun climbs high"
"Thanks, some people have trouble telling what time it is."

(Thank you internet, for warning me you apparently can't be given the elf tome if you already have a hired pawn that knows it on your team)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wonder what the ending sequence is like if you murder everyone in the world beforehand.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have already massacred Bakbattahl and Vernworth, but it doesn't really make a difference to how these feel to walk around in, since the game just spawns in new NPCs to replace the generic ones.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You should check to see if Fiona has a gift for you ;)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hired pawns can have it and go nuclear.
If they're holding their head or have pink eyes, it's really obvious when they do have the eyes, lob them in the ocean.

Probably worth lobbing your own pawn in the ocean then and then treating them to a hair cut (move sheen one notch and you won't affect their appearance significantly) so you can regain the affinity lost by them being forfit.

I have red-brown colorblindness and it's extremely not obvious to me when they have the eyes lol, I can only tell by their dialogue

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Has anyone figured out how to unlock the secret Wayfarer vocation yet? Does it have something to do with the Warfarer?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Carmant posted:

Has anyone figured out how to unlock the secret Wayfarer vocation yet? Does it have something to do with the Warfarer?

return to general leo's grave and have mew use strength on the tombstone

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I found a bunch of trickster-only armor so I decided I’d try it and after getting it to 4 I have no interest in finishing it unless ranks 5-9 completely change the playstyle. slowly trying to cajole the pawn AI to kill things for you isn’t fun.

I’d heard complaints about the sound of the seeker token detection aug but what’s actually getting me is the sound of the censer jangling around with every step you take.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Jack Trades posted:

:allears:
Dragonsplague is a loving genius mechanic, truly.

I'm pretty sure that was a normal Straightforward pawn line. lmao

A calm pawn yelling about how tactics are unnecessary is pretty glaring a sign.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I may have looted a loving sweet lightning greathammer in my semi aimgless wanderings in the desert in act 1. But it feels like a bigger sense of strength progression to decide "Actually, I will bring the 6.00 pattern camping kit instead of the 4.00 elite kit I looted in the wild"

Sure, it locks my main pawn into just below/just into average weight by default even with Thew and a +carry ring. But I want an actual goddamned TENT with my camp! Elite set or whatever it was is just a glorified tarp on some sticks.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

After a full playthrough using Custom Difficulty Tweaks with enemies only taking 30% damage, and now half a playthrough instead using Enemy HP increase (4x), I'd recommend the HP increase to anyone who wants to mod the game to be more difficult. It functions exactly as you'd expect. Meanwhile, the damage mitigation was very inconsistent and would sometimes work as you'd think and would sometimes make enemies faaaar more tanky than they "should be".

For example, the Medusa. I didn't come across her on my first playthrough so on my second, I switched off Custom Difficulty Tweaks to get the normal experience fighting her. She died to one Flare. I then came back later and tried again with the mod. If she's taking 70% reduced damage, you'd think it would take no more than 4 Flares to land a kill. Probably less since I'm a bit higher level/better geared, and the original one-shot undoubtedly had some overkill. Nope. Took 30-40. It's very possible that my Flares were not charged up as much as the first one, but not to the degree than it would take 30-40x as many.

I found this sort of thing to be fairly common. I still like the mod for its other features but I'll be sticking to the HP one for enemy durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If it works like the first Dragon's Dogma, then I'm pretty sure the enemy's defense is just a straight reduction to the player's attack, so they're implementing "take less damage" before the reduction, it's possible that it's going from e.g., 1000 damage reduced by 280 = 720 damage down to 300 damage, reduced by 280 = 20 damage.