Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

skeleton warrior posted:

I will share this video every time someone asks about high-level Scrabble play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJIAlRSs214

You were correct to do so, thank you for an amusing and edifying eight minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Adam Zyglis

Amjad Rasmi

Ann Telnaes

Bob Englehart

Bill Bramhall

Carlos Latuff

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

David M. Hitch

Dick Wright

The fun part about the "states decide" position on this topic is that it's the one that literally can't be correct according to either side of the debate.

Ed Gamble

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Koterba

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

John Branch

John Darkow

Lee Judge

Wikipedia posted:

Tu quoque (/tjuːˈkwoʊkwi, tuːˈkwoʊkweɪ/; Latin Tū quoque, for "you also") is a discussion technique that intends to discredit the opponent's argument by attacking the opponent's own personal behavior and actions as being inconsistent with their argument, so that the opponent is hypocritical. This specious reasoning is a special type of ad hominem attack. The Oxford English Dictionary cites John Cooke's 1614 stage play The Cittie Gallant as the earliest known use of the term in the English language.

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Matt Wuerker

Mike Peters

Monte Wolverton

NEMØ

Imagine having a brain so broken that you could make this cartoon. Consider all the wrong and evil things you would have to believe in order to even consider producing it.

Pedro X. Molina

Rivers

Eat poo poo, Rivers.

Walt Handelsman

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Jesus Christ, Bennett. Say what you will there's one issue where he occasionally goes for the throat.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I think it's kind of endearing that Gamble's mental image of a progressive agitator is stuck on "70's hippie".

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Been too long a day to do more effort than this

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

NDP posted:

Rall's analogy would only work if the "home invader" was a previous owner (or a descendant of a previous owner) of the house who had been unlawfully forced out of possession and later came back to claim what he thought was rightfully his. Now if the cartoon was about the relationship between the original inhabitants of the Americas, Australia, and South Africa and the settlers from Europe, it would be more accurate.

Nah that's crazy.

If Egypt invaded Israel tomorrow nobody would say the Egyptians were just taking back what was rightfully theirs, even though the land was Egyptian before it was Israel.

As well genetic studies have shown the people living in Palestine are the descendants of the ancient Canaanite inhabitants, they mostly just converted to Islam over the centuries. They didn't kick out the ancestors of diaspora Jews, they're the descendants of the people who stayed

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Tom the Dancing Bug by Ruben Bolling

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

Gary Markstein

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Steve Kelley

What a loving mess- it's a current employee writing for Bari Weiss's platform. His supporting evidence for bias consists of "The audience has trended liberal over time according to surveys", by dismissing the idea that Trump officials colluded with Russia, endorsing the Hunter Biden laptop conspiracy theory, and endorsing a lab leak theory for Covid. His root belief in the causal factor: that NPR accepted the idea that systemic racism exists, and basically got politically correct over it. Those are the highlights, but it's basically a greatest hits of Weiss's "I swear I'm not a conservative, I am just being silenced for my beliefs...you know the ones" playbook.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 11, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Nah that's crazy.

If Egypt invaded Israel tomorrow nobody would say the Egyptians were just taking back what was rightfully theirs, even though the land was Egyptian before it was Israel.

If being forced out of a place is enough justification for coming back over a thousand years later and shooting everybody there, then I am glad to have the thread's support for the Greek return to the Levant.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pedro X. Molina

Kellies Nomination: Worst label. It may not be the worst in an absolute sense, but it betrays an absolute lack of trust in your audience to understand a message to literally show someone folding a plane and have to add the label "How to make a plane".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Byzantine posted:

If being forced out of a place is enough justification for coming back over a thousand years later and shooting everybody there, then I am glad to have the thread's support for the Greek return to the Levant.

Yeah the idea that Iron Age borders are a casus belli, and people living today should be punished for stuff that happened thousands of years ago is nuts. If you took it seriously you'd bathe the whole world in blood forever. Even if the Palestinians were the descendants of foreign conquerors (and genetic testing has proven that they are not) it can't justify killing people over it now. Especially if you're going to be arbitrary about it and pick one Iron Age year when the people you like were in charge and ignore who was there before (why is it Israel's land, if all conquests should be reversed, well they weren't the original inhabitants anyway).

The Franks and the Visigoths kicked the Romans out of France and Spain, so is Italy justified in conquering and ethnic cleansing those lands and all the other parts of Europe, Africa, and Asia where there rule was displaced by migrating tribes?

Should Greece expel the Turks from Asia Minor and get the Byzantine Empire back? Or is it the Italians who get to do that? Or the Greeks again because of Alexander? Or Iran?

African Americans' ancestors were unrightfully taken from their homes and sold into slavery, can they go back to Africa, rightfully shoot Africans still living there and take their homes?

Obviously nobody, not even a diehard Zionist, would take this historical justification seriously and apply it consistently (if you did it would negate Zionism since, again, Israelites weren't the original inhabitants), but I suspect they don't really think about it that deeply, it's more of a pseudo-secular gloss on a religious or quasi-spiritual belief that God bequeathed the land to them.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
"How dare NPR have some sort of political bias!" - conservative cartoonists that likely get all their news from Fox, Newsmax, and OANN

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Neito posted:

Kellies Nomination: Worst label. It may not be the worst in an absolute sense, but it betrays an absolute lack of trust in your audience to understand a message to literally show someone folding a plane and have to add the label "How to make a plane".

Easy way to solve it- have the first panel make it clear the piece of paper is, like, '737-MAX Ground Crew Checklist'. Then dump the labels.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

JamesBont posted:

"How dare NPR have some sort of political bias!" - conservative cartoonists that likely get all their news from Fox, Newsmax, and OANN
But the thing is, this story is even more poo poo than that. This is literally the evidence from the "whistleblower" that is causing all this idiot outrage:

quote:

In October 2020, the New York Post published the explosive report about the laptop Hunter Biden abandoned at a Delaware computer shop containing emails about his sordid business dealings. With the election only weeks away, NPR turned a blind eye. Here’s how NPR’s managing editor for news at the time explained the thinking: “We don’t want to waste our time on stories that are not really stories, and we don’t want to waste the listeners’ and readers’ time on stories that are just pure distractions.”

quote:

Politics also intruded into NPR’s Covid coverage, most notably in reporting on the origin of the pandemic. One of the most dismal aspects of Covid journalism is how quickly it defaulted to ideological story lines. For example, there was Team Natural Origin—supporting the hypothesis that the virus came from a wild animal market in Wuhan, China. And on the other side, Team Lab Leak, leaning into the idea that the virus escaped from a Wuhan lab.

The lab leak theory came in for rough treatment almost immediately, dismissed as racist or a right-wing conspiracy theory. Anthony Fauci and former NIH head Francis Collins, representing the public health establishment, were its most notable critics. And that was enough for NPR. We became fervent members of Team Natural Origin, even declaring that the lab leak had been debunked by scientists.

quote:

Given the circumstances of Floyd’s death, it would have been an ideal moment to tackle a difficult question: Is America, as progressive activists claim, beset by systemic racism in the 2020s—in law enforcement, education, housing, and elsewhere? We happen to have a very powerful tool for answering such questions: journalism. Journalism that lets evidence lead the way.

But the message from the top was very different. America’s infestation with systemic racism was declared loud and clear: it was a given. Our mission was to change it.
So NPR's great sin wasn't completely toeing the line on conservative propaganda.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So I just saw that OJ Simpson died
Wonder what the over/under will be as far as whether the obituary toons memorialize him or remember that he literally got away with murder.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nobody could be this stupid.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

the_steve posted:

So I just saw that OJ Simpson died
Wonder what the over/under will be as far as whether the obituary toons memorialize him or remember that he literally got away with murder.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Kids These Days", Worst Celebrity Cartoon

I've said this multiple times, but holy poo poo Lester can't draw anything to scale. That poster would be like 20 feet.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

JamesBont posted:

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Kids These Days", Worst Celebrity Cartoon
kinda makes you wonder why there never were songs about broken relationships and heartbreak before taylor swift.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

YOU AREN'T CALVIN AND HOBBES

"back in my day artists weren't such bad role models for relationships. now let's all listen to my favourite rock band from the old days, Fleetwood Mac"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kellies nomination: Worst Isreal/Palestine cartoon

Seriously, "the US can't judge Israel because we've also done some awful things" is a hell of a take.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Imagine having a president stupid enough to stare at an eclipse without eye protection.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Does this guy only do posts about Buffalo sports?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

AGC, no notes

lost old man
Nov 4, 2009

I AM HUNGER.
I FEED.

Yeah, Lester, things sure are tough out there. If only people had more money to buy groceries. I wonder where that money could come from, Lester?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Most opposite of reality, because that's literally what your guy did.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
we all remember obama in front of that "mission accomplished" banner

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on US attempts to rein in Israel – Joe Biden has said that Benjamin Netanyahu is making a ‘mistake’ over Gaza, although the US continues to arm Israel"

Telegraph:

Key findings of the Cass report: stop giving drugs to children and rushing them into treatment; Streeting admits he was wrong to say transgender women are women :fuckoff:

Matt:

Farmers warn of first year without harvest since Second World War

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

China ‘flooding Britain with counterfeit Royal Mail stamps’

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orthodox priests in Russia supports Putin:

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
"You're voting for Biden, son?"
"He impacted my life in a positive way and that is how voting is supposed to work. Also, corporate price gouging, the objectively true and proven primary cause of recent inflation, doesn't have anything to do with Biden because our capitalist free-market economy is literally designed to remove any ability for him to influence this. The people attacking Biden for this are the very same ones who are the most in favor of this separation of powers."
"That explains the Che poster."

The Taylor one is kinda funny. How can we purity test this bitch out when she's the ideal conservative woman in every way except her actual beliefs? Well she didn't marry her first boyfriend for life, got 'em

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 11, 2024

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

there's a world in which this is actually a cartoon sympathetic to trans kids - they don't look too happy at being held up on their journey - but it's the telegraph so i can't see it as anything more sympathetic to them than "oh the poor kids are being failed by us having to go through all this when we could have just given them conversion therapy from the start"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Cass Study just held studies supporting medical transition to impossible standards to get rid of them. It's like other studies where some part of the methodology is rotten and clearly done to undermine trans healthcare, and because the government is chomping at the bit for any excuse to throw trans people under the bus so they take it no questions asked. A good example is the Littman study that was thrown out by Brown because she only asked parents about transitioning. Like, the people a trans kid is most likely to come out to significantly later than anyone else, and do their damnedest to hide their transition until then. Yeah no poo poo parents are going to find their kid's coming out sudden.

Like, how the hell do you manage a blind trial with HRT? Hope the kid is stupid enough to not ask questions when the drugs with very explicit physical changes don't yield any physical changes?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

The Cass Study just held studies supporting medical transition to impossible standards to get rid of them.

I don't know what you mean. The Cass review is reasonable scientific analysis with no flaws. Look it's got graphs in it

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Guavanaut posted:

Nobody could be this stupid.

They're just recycling the same comics they made for the eclipse last year.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Angepain posted:

I don't know what you mean. The Cass review is reasonable scientific analysis with no flaws. Look it's got graphs in it

Hmm I see. Well, case closed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If I’m understanding this graph correctly, people that identify as male are male. Got to agree with them on that one tbh.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
If you look at the graphs real fast it looks like they're making out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Man, it's such a crazy coincidence that every single distribution in those charts has the exact same standard deviation and median prevalence. Probably nothing to worry about, nothing but solid science here