Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I need to beat more Queen's Blood fellows to progress but it seems like the only three remaining in the world are somewhere in Corel where I can't find them. Do they unlock later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

It's just like Remake, you're locked but once you finish you get a chapter select thingy
FWIW, you seemed locked to the characters in the party for each chapter during your first playthrough. I finished the game and went back to Chapter 13 and I can't play with Cait.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah for the most part chapter 13 seems best for just general open world stuff BC everything is unlocked and it has an instant wind up time but I miss my boy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I need to beat more Queen's Blood fellows to progress but it seems like the only three remaining in the world are somewhere in Corel where I can't find them. Do they unlock later?

once you get to corel everything staggers out a bit, you'll find more opponents your level later and then double back for the others

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

deoju posted:

FWIW, you seemed locked to the characters in the party for each chapter during your first playthrough. I finished the game and went back to Chapter 13 and I can't play with Cait.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah for the most part chapter 13 seems best for just general open world stuff BC everything is unlocked and it has an instant wind up time but I miss my boy

just do chapter 12 instead, you only need to take a quick ride in the bronco and skip one cutscene and then everything in the game is opened up

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 12 hours!)

is there really only 4 shortcuts for moves? and you have to manually go down the list for everything else

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sapUKb2GQ6M

Some of these monsters absolutely did not deserve this stunting that was inflicted upon them

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GateOfD posted:

is there really only 4 shortcuts for moves? and you have to manually go down the list for everything else

Different shortcuts for the air for some characters too. Cloud can do dodge > hold square to quickly pop into the air

Generally I do across most characters

Triangle for stagger stuff
Square for the damage spam attack
Circle for buffs
X for whatever

Because with all the characters remembering even just 4 from muscle memory is actually a lot. I completely forget to use them on Aerith for example

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
My game just updated so I guess you guys should check if they fixed the final quest.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Just bought the digital soundtrack off of Amazon and I don't know if that one made it on there. That or the track is named something I'm not expecting and I just can't find it. :sigh:

That’s one of the disc 8 tracks which is only included with the limited edition version of the soundtrack that isn’t available digitally. Same with the Stamp song, Kyrie’s music, most of the Chocobo race music, the Beck remixes and some others.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

uiruki posted:

That’s one of the disc 8 tracks which is only included with the limited edition version of the soundtrack that isn’t available digitally. Same with the Stamp song, Kyrie’s music, most of the Chocobo race music, the Beck remixes and some others.

Wait is there no bow wow wow. Bullshit

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Hoffadoff posted:

My game just updated so I guess you guys should check if they fixed the final quest.

Reddit seems to think so so that's nice

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
new patch seems to based entierly around fixing the minigames they broke https://www.jp.square-enix.com/ffvii_rebirth/news/information/17217.html

auto translation:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Having now beaten Can't Stop, Won't Stop I can say:

It was worth it.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I swear to god this game is like 70% brilliance and 30% “just keeps getting in its own way”.

Like what the gently caress is this Cait Sith box throwing mechanic??? Why do we need this, what is this adding other than completely disrupting the narrative flow and eating up time?

Like a million examples of that kind of padding in the game over and over and over and it’s making it harder to just finish it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

I swear to god this game is like 70% brilliance and 30% “just keeps getting in its own way”.

Like what the gently caress is this Cait Sith box throwing mechanic??? Why do we need this, what is this adding other than completely disrupting the narrative flow and eating up time?

Like a million examples of that kind of padding in the game over and over and over and it’s making it harder to just finish it.

They have gone on record as saying they feel nonessential minigames are important to the experience just as they were in FF7.

Even with missteps 'remove everything but the essential' would lessen the game and give it less personality.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

They have gone on record as saying they feel nonessential minigames are important to the experience just as they were in FF7.

Even with missteps 'remove everything but the essential' would lessen the game and give it less personality.

I don’t disagree, but some of what’s on offer is better than others, and there’s a difference between, say, box throwing and actual mini-games like the shooting galleries.

Similarly, the chocobo gliding was cool when it was part of the training courses, but grating when it made navigating around Cosmo Canyon more annoying.

The implementation matters between adding fun and adding (I would argue unhelpful) friction.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is probably not actually true but it feels like for the box throwing that they wanted each character to get their own segment of a dungeon where they had their own specific way of interacting with the environment, and ultimately there just weren't enough actually fun options to go around. So while a few characters got cool new things like a grappling hook or running on walls, one of them gets to throw boxes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

I don’t disagree, but some of what’s on offer is better than others, and there’s a difference between, say, box throwing and actual mini-games like the shooting galleries.

Similarly, the chocobo gliding was cool when it was part of the training courses, but grating when it made navigating around Cosmo Canyon more annoying.

The implementation matters between adding fun and adding (I would argue unhelpful) friction.

The issue there is people disagree which is which. I'd actually rather do the box throwing over the shooting gallery for example. (But I also had zero issues with the box throwing after turning off the motion controls.)

Yakuza is similar in that some minigamee own and some suck and people rarely agree. (Pocket Racer is Queen's Blood)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 11, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Personally I found the box throwing tedious but not nearly as bad as some people seem to have found it. That's how I felt about just about all of the less-liked minigames, though. As we've established I am easy to please and if a game has a whole lot of aspects that are incredibly good, I find it very easy to entirely forgive its dumb parts..

I'd be a terrible professional game reviewer lol. I'm the kind of guy who can list off a ton of faults in a game and then immediately go "anyway it whips rear end, immaculate vibes, 10/10"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Cait Sith section would be fine if the control scheme for "throw a box" wasn't unnecessarily complicated. The boss and mini boss fights are also surprisingly agro for what is essentially a character gameplay tutorial dungeon.

That's kind of the issue with several mini games really. There are a *lot* of things in FF7R that have a unique control scheme for that event alone, and they're often cool or fun but some of them fall into "didn't stop to think if they should" territory imo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm glad I happened to save before the elevator with the conveyor belt box game with Cait Sith because you gotta replay chapter to try it again if you don't have a save there.

Thundarr posted:

There are a *lot* of things in FF7R that have a unique control scheme for that event alone, and they're often cool or fun but some of them fall into "didn't stop to think if they should" territory imo.

There's really no reason at all for the mushroom pulling to have its own minigame, especially if it's based on visual cues that are pretty subtle if they're not the extremes.
I'd rather have less but better minigames. Like, Gears and Gambits doesn't need to exist alongside Fort Condor. Make Fort Condor more fun instead.
Chocobo Racing is great in this, I love that. Queen's Blood is like 70% of the way there to being great and the only thing holding it back is there aren't enough enemies, or you can't do it multiplayer, so you kinda find a good deck and can stick with it, making most of the cards a bit pointless. They can definitely fix that 30% in game 3.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

My only problem with the Cait Sith solo section is how slowly the moogle moved. Just let me get back with a box quickly and the rest of it would be fine.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Imo minigames should be a fun and/or quick distraction but many minigames in 7 are needlessly difficult.

I can live with partially failing mushroom pulling dont give a gently caress but final stage of Fort Condor had me raging

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I appreciate that every character gets their own dungeon and gimmick, but they really could have thought of something better for Cait Sith than box throwing. They should have done more with the vent crawling stuff. Cait is the smallest character in your party and can fit in places no one else can, do more with that.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mushroom picking is like the perfect example of a harmless stupid minigame that just adds to the overall charm, I actually got a laugh when it was time to pick the mushroom and a minigame infobox popped up. It's short and simple and there's no real penalty for screwing it up.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
THe cait sith segment is actually super immersive cos it makes you want to throw the actual controller at the tv

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

wow, ch9 was something. guess the plot is starting. Got the clone jutsu weapon skill for Yuffie which really makes her shine now. Kind of a shame, but I barely touched Red XIII, his kit is fine, its just he's like a mis-mash of Barret, Tifa, Cloud and I just rather have them if that's the case. Most of the time, my main setup is Cloud, Yuffie, Barret or Cloud, Tifa, Barret. I want to use Aerith more, but I dunno why her ATB is so slow, its like oh I really need healing or a spell and I switch to her and it takes forever to get that bar up to do something, her spammable spell blast syn. move is really strong though. while Barret or Tifa just drinks in ATB to do what I need right now.

Kind of figured out the synergy special attacks more, but I don't know what triggers a bar to be filled or if there's a cooldown to that, I just keep spamming the sames one over and over alternating them and maybe it eventually fills up for me to do.

Tifa mystery is interesting. Sephiroth continues to be trolling you. Whispers finally showing up. Scarlet is just so great as a evil bitch to you lol. Her and Hojo are depicted so well.
Also, drat @ Cloud massacring those Shinra. I dunno, during other times, is it implied the Avalanche crew are killing Shinra soldiers as well or just KO'ing them. They are doing a good job of showing Cloud constantly being out of focus, so I like that. I don't think they really had that in the OG.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Each character has synergy charges to fill in, you get 1 for every ATB you use. You can see it on the UI in the bottom right during battle, where their health is. To begin with, synergy skills typically need 3 charges per character. So if you want to use Overfang, you need to use 3 ATB each on Barret and Red XIII to give them both 3 charges which will be enough for the synergy skill. The more you use a synergy skill, the more expensive it'll be to cast again in that same battle, but it resets once the fight is over.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

GateOfD posted:

Kind of figured out the synergy special attacks more, but I don't know what triggers a bar to be filled or if there's a cooldown to that, I just keep spamming the sames one over and over alternating them and maybe it eventually fills up for me to do.
in the ability combat menu, each skill that generates synergy will have an empty and full bar icon like [][] basically. those are the ones that fill up your synergy charge

the visibility of activation requirements is pretty poor, so just look for the number of red, empty bars to show who needs to fill up their charge more

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

GateOfD posted:

Tifa mystery is interesting. Sephiroth continues to be trolling you. Whispers finally showing up. Scarlet is just so great as a evil bitch to you lol. Her and Hojo are depicted so well.
Also, drat @ Cloud massacring those Shinra. I dunno, during other times, is it implied the Avalanche crew are killing Shinra soldiers as well or just KO'ing them. They are doing a good job of showing Cloud constantly being out of focus, so I like that. I don't think they really had that in the OG.

To answer part of the thing in the spoiler I think you are definitely killing Shinra soldiers generally, Barret is definitely shooting them after all, just to pull one example. If they had infinite budget or it was a movie, you could probably imagine the aftermath of a battle being a fair amount of dead shinra goons but then some of them would be knocked out or just really, really hurt. What Cloud is doing in that cutscene is going perhaps a little beyond what is needed where he's like, knocking them into the air and then impaling them on his sword or finishing them off when they're already down. They did a good job with the body language where he's relishing it and that's the part that's hosed up.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah there's fighting out of necessity, and then there's just violence for the sake of violence and Cloud crosses that line quite a few times. He would have killed Elena and the other Turks in the temple no problem if the party didn't intervene.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
This game is really paying homage to its ps1 roots. Not since Soul Reaver have I seen such exhilarating block pushing puzzles.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i wanted more of the mako vacuum cleaners

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah there's fighting out of necessity, and then there's just violence for the sake of violence and Cloud crosses that line quite a few times. He would have killed Elena and the other Turks in the temple no problem if the party didn't intervene.

To be entirely fair this is not the first or last time Shinra's wetwork branch has tried to kill the party.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I didn't think it was really the violence per se, it was that Cloud by that point is straight up using Sephiroth's mannerisms. To the degree when Aerith gives her big "gently caress you Sephiroth" speech she's staring right at Cloud

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Finally, I was able to update my game and finish the side quest. I booted up my PS5 on my lunch break and beat the G-Bike high score and huzzah! It finally acknowledged that I did it and moved on to the Queens Blood match! I started the match, put down a few cards and then

I loving LOST POWER

The funniest outcome, I waited weeks for this patch and as soon as I could finish the quest the universe said no lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah honestly this hits home for me pretty strongly, I keep thinking about why FF16 probably won't stick with me long-term and it's because they basically have only "the essential"

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

DeathChicken posted:

I didn't think it was really the violence per se, it was that Cloud by that point is straight up using Sephiroth's mannerisms. To the degree when Aerith gives her big "gently caress you Sephiroth" speech she's staring right at Cloud

Somebody pointed out that Aerith's Temple of the Ancients speech is basically her calling Sephiroth a mopey bitch who can't get over his issues, and then Sephiroth, through Cloud, snidely shoots back "are you done?" They're actually really catty to each other once you realize they're aware of each other's presences, it's great.

The Zack sequences are also great because having a playable Zack around really sells that no, Cloud's not actually imitating Zack in body language or fighting style, he's doing a lot more copying of Sephiroth's stances and maneuvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Finally, I was able to update my game and finish the side quest. I booted up my PS5 on my lunch break and beat the G-Bike high score and huzzah! It finally acknowledged that I did it and moved on to the Queens Blood match! I started the match, put down a few cards and then

I loving LOST POWER

The funniest outcome, I waited weeks for this patch and as soon as I could finish the quest the universe said no lol

Weirdly fitting outcome tbh

also lol