Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

why do you think people are developing severe mental health issues at higher and higher rates starting like twenty, thirty years ago? blaming individuals' parenting skills is stupid as gently caress; kids didn't go apeshit and throw chairs through windows at the rates they do now even a couple decades ago and parents were just as neglectful then as they are now

social media + microplastics (probably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HallelujahLee posted:

The Vietnamese property tycoon Truong My Lan was sentenced to death on Thursday for her involvement in the country’s biggest ever financial fraud case, state media outlet Thanh Nien
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/11/vietnamese-property-tycoon-sentenced-to-death-in-financial-fraud-case.html

Posting in the Truong thread

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

social media + microplastics (probably)

it’s been the motto of this website for 20 years? 25?

the micro plastics have been a good addition

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Beached Whale posted:

Really awesome that we have a capitalist run health care system that sees rural people as unprofitable and has essentially left them to rot.
LDAR: it's not just for blackpilled incels anymore! :eng101:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

ya the 30 yr fixed mortgage at historic low apr has been propping up this shitshow for awhile

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
chuckling sensibly at the skincare ads from a few short years ago touting their microplastics for exfoliation

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

why do you think people are developing severe mental health issues at higher and higher rates starting like twenty, thirty years ago? blaming individuals' parenting skills is stupid as gently caress; kids didn't go apeshit and throw chairs through windows at the rates they do now even a couple decades ago and parents were just as neglectful then as they are now

People are going feral because the structures required to have a functioning society have been systematically dismantled. Scams are omnipresent destroying any sense of trust. Leadership has officially declared that your death by starvation or disease is not their problem and you will be punished for complaining. Anyone who tries to fix anything is murdered.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

violence in video games + vaxxed

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

NUMBER

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
In terms of American kids the decline of living standards and the social fabric of the USA is probably a big one

But phones are probably not helpful either. Idk. The only kids I interact with are my niece and nephew they are Simply Epic

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i remember there being a panic about kids back when I was a kid, only it was due to drug use, alcohol use, tobacco use, teenage pregnancy, gang participation and gang violence. i just sat inside and cooked my retinas by playing a bunch of Doom

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

biceps crimes posted:

i remember there being a panic about kids back when I was a kid, only it was due to drug use, alcohol use, tobacco use, teenage pregnancy, gang participation and gang violence. i just sat inside and cooked my retinas by playing a bunch of Doom

As god intended

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

WOW

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

can you answer this kuz im curious and would like to read the discussion. idk. microplastics? loss of purpose due to capitalism? mountain dew?

e: i read the thread and i agree w/ the posts!!

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Maybe you should moral panic the, freaking economy!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
kids don't know poo poo about the social fabric dissolving, but I bet their parents do

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Posting in the Truong thread

lol

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Social media and phones are just scaffolding so support pillars can be removed without the whole thing collapsing on their heads. They provide links to the dwindling pockets of civilization but these links are means tested so everyone doesn’t reach the point of desperation at the same time and develop some sort of solidarity. Just a constant dribble of death. Everyone aware that it could be them next but just holding onto the hope that their connections haven’t dried up yet.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

kids don't know poo poo about the social fabric dissolving, but I bet their parents do

some maybe? a lot of people have a vague sense that there's *something* wrong, but are inundated with propaganda telling them to blame all of society's problems on the existence of gays/minorities or the fact that somewhere in the world there's someone who believes in the wrong made-up religion.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nah, let really drill down and find out the problem so we can solve this.

My money is on all the red meat American eat. It's just prions that's causing all the woe

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

They never took the lead out of gasoline. It's been bullshit the whole time.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

How does a price index measure work? I assume it is just saying prices exploded way beyond historical measures.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Son of Sorrow posted:

it's still in airplane fuel

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Raccooon posted:

How does a price index measure work? I assume it is just saying prices exploded way beyond historical measures.

you pick a date to set as the 100% value and then chart changes from it from there

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you pick a date to set as the 100% value and then chart changes from it from there

Ah so from that 1980 price is the value they are comparing against?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Raccooon posted:

That chart is multiplying the housing price index against the average 30-year fixed rate, which is why it spikes.

The reality is that the spike should be much larger because of how severely interest rate affects affordability, assuming you aren't expecting rates to plummet any time soon.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Raccooon posted:

yeah

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Son of Sorrow posted:

they just added it to the prepackaged food instead

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
also all the disposable coffee cups has lead in the plastic lining which melts instantly

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

The Oldest Man posted:

dei is just woke human resources. they exist to channel employee dissent into useless activities and to sabotage and co-opt any prospect of legitimate agitation or labor organizing activity. and i mean that literally, in the same way that hr as a modern corporate function was developed in direct response to union agitation, dei programs and consultancies have sprung up as a corporate reaction to intersectionality becoming a threatening force in labor politics.

interest groups are loving perfect for this - isolating and alienating different groups of employees who might otherwise band together, making the entire thing a gold star sticker program for some employees at the expense of others, and using these identities as a promotional vehicle for the absolute worst grifters in the company or outside to directly corrode their credibility.

this is really good posting

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i just cant believe theres no narrative explanations to these problems. housing? individual problem, get your money up. deaths of despair? no real acknowledgement of it and absolutely no fixes. social media pushed on kids? its bad if china does it. child labor? carcinogens in food? nothing

i guess it's just a result of the state getting carved up and all responsibilities being placed on the individual. nobody talks about it except for people on a dead forum

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we don’t even have narrative forums anymore

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

we don’t even have narrative forums anymore

sorry state of affairs...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

err posted:

i just cant believe theres no narrative explanations to these problems. housing? individual problem, get your money up. deaths of despair? no real acknowledgement of it and absolutely no fixes. social media pushed on kids? its bad if china does it. child labor? carcinogens in food? nothing

i guess it's just a result of the state getting carved up and all responsibilities being placed on the individual. nobody talks about it except for people on a dead forum

there are narrative explanations though: it's because gay people exist, or because black people exist

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

err posted:

What you can do about it, OP, is get evreyone you know to Vote.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

there are narrative explanations though: it's because gay people exist, or because black people exist

increasingly it's because leftists didnt vote right

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nitevision posted:

What you can do about it, OP, is get evreyone you know to Vote.

This , on god.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Xaris posted:

there used to be inane notions of "supply = demand" and "if i raise prices but my competitor doesn't, consumers will buy competitor's products instead". it has been shown that neither of these are true and things are far more monopolistic. turns out if you raise cheerios prices and your competitor raises grapenut prices too, consumers still keep buying from you, and shareprices keep going up up up up perma bull forever

the seal has been broken, the economic contract in tatters

e: also see insurance. allstate, progressive, geico etc just decided thgat they can all raise rates 100% collectively and everyone keeps on payin'. what are the americans going to do, not buy? buy from someone else? lol!

it cannot be understated just how much the pandemic broke the seal when everyone realized that "supply chain issues" was a good excuse and profits kept soaring quarter-over-quarter, so why stop now? just keep on raising so our shareholder value keeps going up by beating earnings expectation. there's zero reason for people to lower prices on anything right now, and only very good reasons to keep on raising them

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

err posted:

Yeah I do agree the way that nobody in power acknowledges anybody's grievances and just moves on to the next thing as though nothing is wrong is maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

people will just choose not to drive if it becomes too expensive