Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shwqa posted:

I'm not doing a solo, but honor mode doesn't mess around. Dror Ragzlin can do, if I'm doing math right, main hit 1d10+5 (6-15), martial advantage 2d6 (2-12), absolute power 1d6 (1-6), second attack 1d10+5 (6-15), and then repulsor 1d6 (1-6). That is 16 - 54 before critical hits. He will use reckless attacks to give himself an advantage if he misses. And don't you dare heal/buff an ally near him, or else every enemy near him gets a free action surge with his 1d4 leadership aura bonus damage.

I simply surprise attacked from the rafters and threw poo poo at him til he died without ever taking an action :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Raftermancy, second only to Barrelmancy.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's very annoying that combat ends if you go invisible and they detect presence the phantom you leave behind away because it ends rage. makes the dark urge cloak useless when it should be amazing solo. and also that thrown weapons returning breaks the invisibility. can't wait to respec into control bard. :mad:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Oh no, Shadowheart went full Shar mode and I feel forced to use her pointy new spear. Respecced her into a War Cleric. I didn't plan on a party full of melee-enjoyers, but that's what I got.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Docjowles posted:

I simply surprise attacked from the rafters and threw poo poo at him til he died without ever taking an action :shrug:

See when I first started playing this with my wife we tried the rafters thing, and Ragzlin simply ran up the ladder and easily threw everyone off to their deaths who hadn't already been greased and drilled by the caster goblins below.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Hey, Lae'zel, Shadowheart, get a loving room and get it over with. You're harshing the Bard-killing vibe.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Docjowles posted:

Oh, there is definitely a way to handle every fight. But if you aren't planning ahead things will absolutely kill you in a turn.

I lost to Dror and got halsin killed, but a character survived so I could revive my team. Round two of the fight was a hold person turn 1, and he died before getting an action.

I also say people say use command drop weapon or heat metal on him while looking up his stats.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
In my first game, I tried to sleep with multiple of my companions, and nabbed Gale first after Astarion rejected my advances. Nobody else seemed interested, so I fully committed to Gale, until Halsin approached me about wanting to hook up. I said I'd have to talk with Gale about it, who was completely opposed, so I stuck by him.

In my now second game, I managed to hook up with Astarion, but I haven't really been having him in my party. Which I guess pissed him off, because now I'm in Act 3, we've done no romance since Act 1, and he just told me he was only using me, and we'll never be an item. I guess now I can try and get with that bear Halsin at least?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

LifeLynx posted:

Oh no, Shadowheart went full Shar mode and I feel forced to use her pointy new spear. Respecced her into a War Cleric. I didn't plan on a party full of melee-enjoyers, but that's what I got.

its more you're cursed to a have a terrible haircut haver forever

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I killed Dror together with my spider buddies! He wasn't hostile to me yet, spent a turn dashing at them, and then I shot him in the back a lot :)

The big spider died while I cleaned up the rest of the goblins though :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Eau de MacGowan posted:

its more you're cursed to a have a terrible haircut haver forever

Shadowheart still cuts her hair, it just stays a cool black instead of a bad bleach job.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Nuclear take: I don't mind Shart's fringe and her white hair is only marginally better.

On my last run she kept her fringe until the end cos I threw her into a pit during her conversation with Aylin

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Should I be using karmic dice or not? Starting a new campaign with a friend, really enjoying it, but man do my rolls suck rear end both with and without karmic dice. I'm playing as a fighter and I'll consistently miss back to back attacks and it just makes for a trash experience. We're not even playing hard difficulty, we're on balanced, and I'm pretty much just a glorified damage sponge because I can barely land hits. Other dice rolls are equally terrible, needing a 10 and regularly landing sub-5.

Any advice? Am I playing fighter wrong? Should I keep karmic dice on?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've played through the games several times with karmic dice on and off, and the only difference I have noticed in any quantifiable sense is that high DC speech checks become slightly easier to pass when you start to burn Inspiration points. Everything else is barely intelligible from total randomness to me.

If you're not doing well with dice rolls, you should try to take more advantage of the many things that can improve your chance to hit early on (weapon oils, Bless, Bardic Inspiration, abilities that grant Advantage, etc). Menacing Attack is a must for a Battlemaster and you can get it as early as Level 3. Getting a +1 or +2 weapon is ideal because they also add to your chance to hit, in addition to the weapon damage. Great Weapon Master is a common trap Feat for new players because it destroys your attack rolls, so respec out of that if you've taken it. Remember, a 60% chance to hit does not mean "pretty much guaranteed," it means "only slightly more than half of the time" and is therefore not especially reliable!!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Qubee posted:

Should I be using karmic dice or not? Starting a new campaign with a friend, really enjoying it, but man do my rolls suck rear end both with and without karmic dice. I'm playing as a fighter and I'll consistently miss back to back attacks and it just makes for a trash experience. We're not even playing hard difficulty, we're on balanced, and I'm pretty much just a glorified damage sponge because I can barely land hits. Other dice rolls are equally terrible, needing a 10 and regularly landing sub-5.

buy the whispering promise from volo if it's not too late, you can use it to give yourself two turns of bless at the cost of one of the million potions of healing you get. oil of accuracy is also extremely good in the early game and i'm always buying them if I see them on a vendor.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

exquisite tea posted:

The whole story would fall apart instantly if Astarion had an AK-47.

There's a mod for that.

But also...

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/5640

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

exquisite tea posted:

Great Weapon Master is a common trap Feat for new players because it destroys your attack rolls, so respec out of that if you've taken it.

You don't have to respec, you can just turn it off in the Passives tab. It still gives you the bonus action attack after critting or getting a kill. Or you can turn it back on when you have Advantage, etc.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

whoever posted about nere killing them on hm made me a little worried, so i came up with a solution.

barbarian charm immunity and heavy chest win the day.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Qubee posted:

No, terrible/amazing luck is part of the D&D experience! :eng101:

And if you're just starting off it's not that odd to miss a lot. I assume your STR is 16 or higher, other than that at low levels all you can do is make sure to bless your party before the fight starts which will give an extra 5 to 20% to hit and make use of better gear as you find it. Fighters are also not skill monkeys and the stats they want high (STR/CON) help with almost no skill checks so yeah, maining a fighter will mean you are at a disadvantage in those areas.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Getting advantage of an attack makes a big difference, so any way to get your opponent prone helps. You can use the Gloves of the Growling Underdog that give advantage as long as you are threatened by at least two enemies, but you’ll have to beat Dror Razglin first.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Astarion confirmed manlet :sad:

And also confirmed dumb as hell if you are a mindflayer

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

EorayMel posted:

Astarion confirmed manlet :sad:

And also confirmed dumb as hell if you are a mindflayer

lol that video is so good. I love that when you attack, the rest of the camp is friendly. Like "oh thank god we can finally jump this pompous fuckboi???" Also the narrator calling Astarion a smoothbrain. Does it count as a game over when Withers kicks you out? I feel like I remember someone on Reddit losing their honor mode run to that which would be hysterical.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I'm so loving annoyed that they took Laezel that I'm about to try to blitz the entire Orin saga in one long rest so the rest of the Act 3 storylines don't potentially gently caress up, like Wyll's dad dying.

Edit: lmfao sword bard killed Dolor before he could get a turn at the wine festival. Off to a good start.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 12, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Janissary Hop posted:

I'm so loving annoyed that they took Laezel that I'm about to try to blitz the entire Orin saga in one long rest so the rest of the Act 3 storylines don't potentially gently caress up, like Wyll's dad dying.

Edit: lmfao sword bard killed Dolor before he could get a turn at the wine festival. Off to a good start.

since you killed dolor already, you only need to stop the newspaper editor from slandering you before long resting. five long rests to rescue Florrick.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zodium posted:

buy the whispering promise from volo if it's not too late, you can use it to give yourself two turns of bless at the cost of one of the million potions of healing you get. oil of accuracy is also extremely good in the early game and i'm always buying them if I see them on a vendor.

You don't need to use healing potions, you can use raspberries for this. There's a bunch around the Blighted Village, and they don't cost an action or bonus action to use while in combat. You can also use Spoiled Treacle Tarts in the same way, but those are much rarer.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Qubee posted:

As others have said, you need someone casting Bless on the party for these early fights. Throwing bottles of grease is also very helpful at this point, especially if you use a weapon with extra reach, because you can hit the prone enemies without stepping on the grease yourself. If you're a battle master fighter, take tripping attack and disarming attack for sure. Trampling an unarmed, prone opponent may be ethically spurious according to the Hague, but the Hague don't operate in Faerun. If you're a strength focused fighter and not a dex focused fighter, throwing daggers, javelins, light hammers, and hand axes will probably get you more mileage than shooting an arrow unless you have a bow with cool powers and extra hit chance/damage.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

grack posted:

You don't need to use healing potions, you can use raspberries for this. There's a bunch around the Blighted Village, and they don't cost an action or bonus action to use while in combat. You can also use Spoiled Treacle Tarts in the same way, but those are much rarer.

that's a super good idea.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
also the long dwarf

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

See when I first started playing this with my wife we tried the rafters thing, and Ragzlin simply ran up the ladder and easily threw everyone off to their deaths who hadn't already been greased and drilled by the caster goblins below.

I went up into the rafters, cast illusion at the brim of the spider pit, and then fired an arrow of roaring thunder at the entire bunch followed by a grease to cc the mooks still on the level.

The Ragzlin fight is probably one of the most abusable in the early game. There's so much you can do to set yourself up for success.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

killed grym in a speedy 56 turns plinking him from above, and still managed to almost die to six heat metal casts when I decided I should get that mephit xp.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Zodium posted:

killed grym in a speedy 56 turns plinking him from above, and still managed to almost die to six heat metal casts when I decided I should get that mephit xp.

nice! Fortune favors the bold, as the Romans said!

...is it even possible to be Level 11 at the Netherbrain?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zodium posted:

You can use Minor Illusion to bait Grym in to walking on to the hammer platform, and then hit the lever with a bow attack.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

theoretically? easily. not for me though. I have to get every single experience point. once an npc's role in my story is over they are reprocessed into xp.

I guess I could've respecced, which would have been faster and more fun.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Haha I had a very similar HM Grym experience. Cheesed him from above, then all the Mephits ganged up to kill Shadowheart and I was like seriously after taking out the giant robot these little dipshits are gonna end it??? Once I finally got a turn I mopped them up quickly but I was nervous for a minute

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

In my first game, I tried to sleep with multiple of my companions, and nabbed Gale first after Astarion rejected my advances. Nobody else seemed interested, so I fully committed to Gale, until Halsin approached me about wanting to hook up. I said I'd have to talk with Gale about it, who was completely opposed, so I stuck by him.

In my now second game, I managed to hook up with Astarion, but I haven't really been having him in my party. Which I guess pissed him off, because now I'm in Act 3, we've done no romance since Act 1, and he just told me he was only using me, and we'll never be an item. I guess now I can try and get with that bear Halsin at least?

Yeah there's at least one big astarion related sidequest in act 2 and if you don't do it he gets kind of pissy at you. Kinda like how Shart gets mad if you do the whole temple/spear thing without having her in the party.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

grack posted:

You can use Minor Illusion to bait Grym in to walking on to the hammer platform, and then hit the lever with a bow attack.

I love the idea of Grym being curious about this cute little kitten that somehow found her way down into his lava forge. He just wanted to help!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

McCloud posted:

Yeah there's at least one big astarion related sidequest in act 2 and if you don't do it he gets kind of pissy at you. Kinda like how Shart gets mad if you do the whole temple/spear thing without having her in the party.

I remain confused as to the mechanics of that act 2 subplot

Run 1, I didn't like Astarion so he was never in my party. When I found Yurgir in the gauntlet he was just hostile and I killed him. Random mini boss I guess. Run 2, I used Astarion constantly so I got the Raphael "runes on my back" stuff. Had what I assume is the normal Yurgir interaction where I have lots of dialogue and choices, and he eventually rejoined me in act 3. Run 3, I once again had Astarion and had the "runes on my back" discussion. But when we got to the entrance to the Mausoleum, Raph was just like "there's a guy I fuckin hate in there, do me a solid and kill him pls" and disappeared. The quest log even said something like "Raphael left without talking to Astarion". ... why did this happen? I cannot think of one single thing I did differently between runs 2 and 3. I don't particularly care about this plot line but I am mystified as to how it plays out so differently every time

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Zodium posted:

theoretically? easily. not for me though. I have to get every single experience point. once an npc's role in my story is over they are reprocessed into xp.

Out of curiosity, when you play this game, do you engage in the story and characters, or is the game just math for you?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hmm ... both? when I start a run, I have a story I want to tell myself through the game in mind, and then I "math" the best trajectory for that story. except for the first run, which is just sort of an exploratory exercise to find out what we have to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Bug Squash posted:

I went up into the rafters, cast illusion at the brim of the spider pit, and then fired an arrow of roaring thunder at the entire bunch followed by a grease to cc the mooks still on the level.

The Ragzlin fight is probably one of the most abusable in the early game. There's so much you can do to set yourself up for success.

Oh yeah, once you have a better sense of what you can do in this game, you can get absolutely stupid with it. In my own personal playthrough that I started more recently after watching my wife's character get to Act 3, Dror didn't swing his hammer a single time. All the goblin minions caught a lightning bolt on round 1 and Dror Ragzlin got slammed to the mat and stabbed by hasted Karlach, Lae'zel, and my rogue over and over for the only two rounds the fight lasted. RIP Dror Ragzlin: died at the foot of his own throne.