Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vargs posted:

After a full playthrough using Custom Difficulty Tweaks with enemies only taking 30% damage, and now half a playthrough instead using Enemy HP increase (4x), I'd recommend the HP increase to anyone who wants to mod the game to be more difficult. It functions exactly as you'd expect. Meanwhile, the damage mitigation was very inconsistent and would sometimes work as you'd think and would sometimes make enemies faaaar more tanky than they "should be".

For example, the Medusa. I didn't come across her on my first playthrough so on my second, I switched off Custom Difficulty Tweaks to get the normal experience fighting her. She died to one Flare. I then came back later and tried again with the mod. If she's taking 70% reduced damage, you'd think it would take no more than 4 Flares to land a kill. Probably less since I'm a bit higher level/better geared, and the original one-shot undoubtedly had some overkill. Nope. Took 30-40. It's very possible that my Flares were not charged up as much as the first one, but not to the degree than it would take 30-40x as many.

I found this sort of thing to be fairly common. I still like the mod for its other features but I'll be sticking to the HP one for enemy durability.

Are you using more mods than those? Because as strong as flare is, I don't think it should oneshot a Medusa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Custom Difficulty mod doesn't touch attack or defense. It directly modifies the damage numbers.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Speaking of, I've reached lv.30 on my second playthrough (not ng+) and thinking about popping one of those mods on now as that feels like the point where the game definitively tips into "too easy" territory. Gotta mod B'z back onto the title screen too while I'm at it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fun fact: if you use the Eject button that Spearhand has on someone in a canyon, they'll ricochet off the walls and land and immediately die, giving you everything anyway

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I did it, I got all 240 seeker tokens. No, there is no prize for this. You can't even turn them in once you hit 220. The remaining 20 are just sitting in my storage. There isn't even a cheevo. But now, at long last, I can take the aug off and know peace from that infernal noise.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Are you using more mods than those? Because as strong as flare is, I don't think it should oneshot a Medusa

Yeah that seems extremely unlikely, unless it somehow glitched and did slashing damage to her head (which actually can one shot a medusa if you hit hard enough).

And yeah I'm pretty sure DD2 uses DD1-style damage thresholds. This is why the first time you run into a griffon at low level it's pretty tanky, but at mid to high level your stronger attacks will just obliterate one even though a drake doesn't seem to take nearly as much damage from the same attacks. (until you're even higher level anyway)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Obligatum VII posted:

I did it, I got all 240 seeker tokens. No, there is no prize for this. You can't even turn them in once you hit 220. The remaining 20 are just sitting in my storage. There isn't even a cheevo. But now, at long last, I can take the aug off and know peace from that infernal noise.

I did 180 and it made me want to die. Incredible feat, Arisen.

(There is absolutely zero reason to go for more than 180)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Give them to other arisen?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Offering excess seeker tokens as pawn quest rewards sounds like a reasonable way to encourage people to hire your pawn.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thundarr posted:

Offering excess seeker tokens as pawn quest rewards sounds like a reasonable way to encourage people to hire your pawn.

Can you even do that? I noticed yesterday that you cannot offer Ferrystones as Pawn Quest rewards. I would assume it is the same for Wakestones and Seeker Tokens.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

Can you even do that? I noticed yesterday that you cannot offer Ferrystones as Pawn Quest rewards. I would assume it is the same for Wakestones and Seeker Tokens.

I thought I saw one like that, but it turned out their quest was THEY wanted to receive a token, which I realized after picking up three and wondering why the quest had not completed yet. (I did not give them my tokens)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

That's kind of weird. I guess they really wanted to avoid giving early players the ability to fast travel easily?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can't you offer the finder's token as a reward?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

That's kind of weird. I guess they really wanted to avoid giving early players the ability to fast travel easily?

Yeah. I have shitloads of Ferrystones so I was going to put one up as a reward instead of the usual 10k that I do. It was a no-go.

I've come across some incredible pawn quests lately though.

Give Pawn 1 Explosive Arrow for 10k gold.
Give Pawn 1 Tarring Arrow for 13 Jasper

I feel like, if you want to move large amounts of money, gemstones are going to be the way to do it.

But yeah, Ferrystones are no go. I assume Wakestones are the same. So I just default to 10k gold.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing that makes it nasty is you can't heal through it like you can if a monster knocks you down to 0 HP. Only way to cheat fall damage is with a wakestone.

I'm chronically pages behind on this thread but if you tackle a pawn off a ledge neither of you takes damage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can give Seekers Tokens as a going-away-gift

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

Since the quest rewards are duplicated if multiple people do your quest before you check in at the Inn, it is probably to keep certain items from being cloned to the point of uselessness.

To my knowledge you can't offer the following as rewards: Ferrystones, Port Crystals, Gold Trove Beetles, Seekers Tokens, a lot of equipment that sells for over 10k (the gems are an exception).

You can still give them as gifts though, because that doesn't allow for them to duplicate, and you can ask FOR them as your Pawn Quest.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
What happens if you get a Seeker's Token as a gift as your first Seeker's Token?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Someone was cool enough to offer 10 dragon scales for defeating an ogre.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

been meaning to mention there is a cap on gold trove beetles: it's functionally every one in the map (including all the wandering merchants, etc), bar 2-3

also got all 240 seeker tokens only a handful require levitation, you can bomb-jump to get basically all of them

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

You can 'insta kill' a medusa if you deal enough (slashing/lightning?) damage and sever her head

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Where are all the pawn barks about enemy weaknesses? I haven't found a bestiary or monster journal or what have you in the menu and my pawns never mention elemental traits like DD1 so I've had to guess and watch monster health bars while I rotate spells.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Where are all the pawn barks about enemy weaknesses? I haven't found a bestiary or monster journal or what have you in the menu and my pawns never mention elemental traits like DD1 so I've had to guess and watch monster health bars while I rotate spells.
Seems to wildly vary how much it matters. Reminder they are weak against fire? Good times! reminder they are weak against lightning "...Are you SURE?"

Like, now that I can unlock Flare on Sorcerer, for all the times Salamander has a large monster drunkenly stumble an inch out of the way to safety. It is still gonna be thunder mine I replace, not the griffin BBQ spell.

EDIT: I'm am also being driven crazy by a consistent UI glitch (UI because I still have thew weight bonus intact). Vocation shopping and edits keeps leaving my status screen with blank or recently bought but not equipped augment lists. Until I go back in and just screw with my augments (even just picking what I already had, where I had it).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 12, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's incredible that the candle in the storm quest outcome where irmhild kills herself to avoid giving information does not let you wakestone her with no explanation, as two other characters loudly say "now we'll NEVER KNOW what her motives were, wink wink" as if that was intended to be an option but never finished. I haven't seen any other named NPC who can't be revived.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's amazing how sorcerer trivializes everything except goblins. Goblins will, in fact, just stand like two feet away and throw rocks at you if you try to cast, but even a drake will just roll over and die to your hilarious arsenal of spells..

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

It's amazing how sorcerer trivializes everything except goblins. Goblins will, in fact, just stand like two feet away and throw rocks at you if you try to cast, but even a drake will just roll over and die to your hilarious arsenal of spells..

Playing with 2x stagger modifier taught the immense tactical value of using "Come Here" command in battle. Especially when it comes to being outnumbered.
If you need time to cast, just make your pawns be a meat shield for you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You should check to see if Fiona has a gift for you ;)

I briefly got excited but there was nothing. :( I would have accepted a rotten fish

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

been meaning to mention there is a cap on gold trove beetles: it's functionally every one in the map (including all the wandering merchants, etc), bar 2-3

So you've reached it? What happens when you try to consume a beetle? I've heard about the cap before, but I think I've received about 8-10 beetles from other players so far, and I'm still not there. I thought I'd been pretty thorough, but I must have missed more of them than I thought.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

So you've reached it? What happens when you try to consume a beetle? I've heard about the cap before, but I think I've received about 8-10 beetles from other players so far, and I'm still not there. I thought I'd been pretty thorough, but I must have missed more of them than I thought.
the use function is just disabled. i was meaning to list my arisen's height/weight/capacity without augs/rings to make it easier to figure out what the actual cap is - i'll do that later

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the use function is just disabled. i was meaning to list my arisen's height/weight/capacity without augs/rings to make it easier to figure out what the actual cap is - i'll do that later

Interesting. I just wish there was a way to see how many beetles you've consumed so far, so I'd know how close I am.

My current pawn quest is 4x Dragon Scale for a beetle, by the way. ;)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm going to compare this game to elden ring for a second: vernworth is the main part of the map, it's great and fun and I don't think I'll ever get tired of exploring it. Battahl is like Altus plateu. It's very similar, only now everything is yellow brown. It's not bad, it's a lot tougher; the new and unique things are generally cool, but it's not as memorable as it could be. But then the volcanic island is like the mountain top of giants and consecrated snowfield. It feels like it's almost entirely just the same poo poo with bigger numbers packed in as densely as it can be, and it stops being fun for me. I'm just trying to walk down a road but there's like fifty hobgoblins, fire saurians and a million bandits all of which are just tanky as hell.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Embrace magic and nothing will ever be tanky again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm playing as a sorcerer, and my main pawn is a sorcerer. These things take longer to kill than when we were archers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I'm playing as a sorcerer, and my main pawn is a sorcerer. These things take longer to kill than when we were archers.

Uhhh...huh? Are you using completely wrong elemental damage or what?
Sorcerers wipe encounters in a single spell basically.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Volcanic island definitely sucks. Literally just one cave in it. I hear volcano in a video game and I'm expecting a lot of caves!

Also when I went back to the dig site I pulled Rook out of the riftstone for funsies but nothing comes of the whole slavery thing from the beginning.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Volcanic Island seems kind of like an afterthought, or something they ran out of time to fill in, its pretty big on the map and has its own aesthetic and everything but then one cave, two settlement like objects with gently caress all in them and three paths.

Although I've been procrastinating on the story so maybe a bunch happens to flesh it out in the back half of the game, narratively I'm still doing something, I forget exactly what, in Battahl.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Embrace magic and nothing will ever be tanky again.

you can also just embrace holding Y and grappling/executing, it works on almost every human sized thing out there. honestly its just very funny that you can functionally manhandle everything/one and stab it to death

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 12, 2024

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can chuck the slave owner from the intro into molten lava on the volcano island at least.

There are no penalties to doing so.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

I briefly got excited but there was nothing. :( I would have accepted a rotten fish

Weird! I definitely gave her a beetle

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Uhhh...huh? Are you using completely wrong elemental damage or what?
Sorcerers wipe encounters in a single spell basically.

Ice and lightning don't seem to phase anything on the island except succubi and drakes, and even with the reduce aggro augment the instant I start casting pretty much every enemy just guns after me, so it can be hard to get a spell off when I have to deal with what feels like four encounters worth of dudes from all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You can chuck the slave owner from the intro into molten lava on the volcano island at least.

There are no penalties to doing so.

I never found that guy until the very end, I didnt think he existed before then