Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is the Eruptor a DMR version of the Dominator?

it's more like a primary autocannon

Bolt action, big splash damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The new marksman weapon (Adjudicator) is by far the worst weapon in the game, do not get it lol

hosed up to refer to that thing as a marksman weapon. the assault rifles at least have a high enough rate of fire and magazine capacity to make up for inaccuracy and be useful at range

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is the Eruptor a DMR version of the Dominator?

it's more like a DMR version of a grenade launcher. not a lot of armor pen so you can't shoot hulk faces with it but it has a lot of splash and does a lot of damage

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Sindai posted:

Anyone else notice the momentum imparted by Eruptor explosions is negative or something? It sucks you towards the point of impact instead of throwing you away.

I think it has blowback like the recoilless. Back right up to a wall and fire and you’ll get flung forward. I also killed a squadmate who was right behind me when I fired.
It honestly feels like a bug to me, there’s nothing to indicate it should work that way.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Getting kicked for no reason is kinda getting old, but so is hosting

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The new marksman weapon (Adjudicator) is by far the worst weapon in the game, do not get it lol

I mean I gotta spend medals somehow, and it ain't like there's much on the first page I want anyway

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

The eruptor fires bolter rounds as they exist in lore and the dominator is an in game bolter

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

That is a cool loadout. How does the railgun do against gunships?

Tbh I can't really say. The past few nights when I've been running this loadout I've gotten weirdly lucky and only run into like one gunship factory even running difficulty 9 exclusively. I'd imagine the build would admittedly struggle against gunships, so that might be something to rely on stratagems / teammates to handle.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 11, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thermite testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fka05oZu2G4

Summary: Almost everything the thermite does, impact grenade already does better. Except killing hulks and tanks from any angle, slowly, if you have no better option, which you probably do.

They are really really bad against bugs though. I takes two to kill a brood commander.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

The railgun is still perfectly usable vs bots! An overcharged shot to the face will still one-shot devastators and hulks from well outside detection range. The community of this game is VERY quick to write off anything that isn't Literally The Best as useless.

Case in point, I've been wrecking house in difficulty 9 bot missions using stuff that the community has largely written off as bad or useless, I call it the "Wait, these are good?" loadout: Plasma Punisher, Senator Pistol, Railgun, Ballistic Shield, then whatever stratagems / grenades you feel like or that your team needs. Plasma Punisher for clearing out groups, striders, berserkers, and doing sick trick shots from behind cover. Senator + Shield for picking off individual small bots and devastators - the Senator kills them in a single shot to the eyes, and with the shield up any non-rocket devastator will do basically nothing to you. The long reload time doesn't matter since you can keep your shield up when you're reloading, making you pretty much invincible while doing so. Railgun for long-range fighting and killing Rocket Devastators and Hulks. The only thing that you can't directly deal with are tanks - so you can bring some other strats to deal with those or leave it up to teammates. Ballistic shield is great even with a 2 handed gun cus it protects your back - you're nearly invincible when running away vs anything that isn't rockets, even when a turret tank is blasting at you. The rest of the loadout is super customizable - can bring EMS mortar sentry or stun grenades to make lining up railgun shots easier, can bring airstrikes for better crowd clearing + taking out factories, can bring railcannon or 500kg for dealing with tanks, etc.

There's really not any situation it can't deal with, and I felt genuinely unkillable even in light armor. On helldive difficulty I'd consistently die <5 times and get in the top 1 or 2 for kills, the loadout loving rules and is composed mostly of non-meta weapons. I even toyed with replacing the Senator with the loving Dagger since it obliterates devastators with eye shots, but haven't had enough games with it to know how I feel about it vs the Senator. Try using non-meta weapons more often, you might just be surprised.

this sounds pretty fun

could sub the dominator or eruptor for plasma punisher

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

If Super Earth loses, it's because of babies like them. Someone didn't sign their forms properly...

You don't sign the helldiver contract. It's binding as soon as you read* it.

*defined as getting within 50 feet of it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I never did the tutorial, so I never signed poo poo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

jokes posted:

You got in the hellpod didn't you? :smug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, the new defence mission type really plays to the recoilless rifle's strengths. Turrets and mines will clear out the light/medium chaff just fine, so you can focus on blasting heavies and dropships, and there's plenty of cover for when you need to duck back and reload. If you haven't given it a go, that's the ideal mission mode for it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dren posted:

this sounds pretty fun

could sub the dominator or eruptor for plasma punisher

Yeah, it's really flexible! Could swap it out for the Scorcher too probably, I haven't unlocked it yet so not sure. The AMR is a solid swap for the railgun too, I just like the charge-BLAM-reload cadence of the railgun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, the new defence mission type really plays to the recoilless rifle's strengths. Turrets and mines will clear out the light/medium chaff just fine, so you can focus on blasting heavies and dropships, and there's plenty of cover for when you need to duck back and reload. If you haven't given it a go, that's the ideal mission mode for it.

is this new mission only on certain planets? I went to a couple of the defend planets last night trying to find it and couldn't find any on 7/8/9 difficulty :(

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Jerkface posted:

is this new mission only on certain planets? I went to a couple of the defend planets last night trying to find it and couldn't find any on 7/8/9 difficulty :(

Was it one of the 5 bot defense Major Order planets? That's the only place it spawns AFAIK

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I hope this mission replaces the other defense mission.

Helldiver tower defense is way better than "30 seconds have passed, here's all 500 robots you need to kill at the same time."

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Helldiver Tower Defense is Mine Central and it makes me so happy. I love my little spinning landmine pińata.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

BitBasher posted:

Was it one of the 5 bot defense Major Order planets? That's the only place it spawns AFAIK

I mean I think so! I was checking each of the "Defend" priority planets in automaton territory and didnt see any of the extract valuable assets missions or whatever its called! It was obviously very easy to find the termicide control tower missions because like every mission on those planets included one.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Well it happened, had a game where the regular guard dog put a bullet in the back of my head and sent me to the grave.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

CodfishCartographer posted:

The railgun is still perfectly usable vs bots! An overcharged shot to the face will still one-shot devastators and hulks from well outside detection range. The community of this game is VERY quick to write off anything that isn't Literally The Best as useless.

Case in point, I've been wrecking house in difficulty 9 bot missions using stuff that the community has largely written off as bad or useless, I call it the "Wait, these are good?" loadout: Plasma Punisher, Senator Pistol, Railgun, Ballistic Shield, then whatever stratagems / grenades you feel like or that your team needs. Plasma Punisher for clearing out groups, striders, berserkers, and doing sick trick shots from behind cover. Senator + Shield for picking off individual small bots and devastators - the Senator kills them in a single shot to the eyes, and with the shield up any non-rocket devastator will do basically nothing to you. The long reload time doesn't matter since you can keep your shield up when you're reloading, making you pretty much invincible while doing so. Railgun for long-range fighting and killing Rocket Devastators and Hulks. The only thing that you can't directly deal with are tanks - so you can bring some other strats to deal with those or leave it up to teammates. Ballistic shield is great even with a 2 handed gun cus it protects your back - you're nearly invincible when running away vs anything that isn't rockets, even when a turret tank is blasting at you. The rest of the loadout is super customizable - can bring EMS mortar sentry or stun grenades to make lining up railgun shots easier, can bring airstrikes for better crowd clearing + taking out factories, can bring railcannon or 500kg for dealing with tanks, etc.

There's really not any situation it can't deal with, and I felt genuinely unkillable even in light armor. On helldive difficulty I'd consistently die <5 times and get in the top 1 or 2 for kills, the loadout loving rules and is composed mostly of non-meta weapons. I even toyed with replacing the Senator with the loving Dagger since it obliterates devastators with eye shots, but haven't had enough games with it to know how I feel about it vs the Senator. Try using non-meta weapons more often, you might just be surprised.

you also just might be Good At The Videogame and can use worse weapons than the average person

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Literally had no crashes in 10-15 hours last patch, since the last update it's been a 1-2 crash a session.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GruntyThrst posted:

you also just might be Good At The Videogame and can use worse weapons than the average person

Or they might be Good At The Videogame and thus better able to tell what weapons are actually good

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

jokes posted:

You're probably one of the High Value Assets (First war Helldivers) we're recovering in the latest defense missions.

Which of course means even if you somehow magically survive this war then you'll just be frozen and left in the freezer for the next war.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo I didn't even realize that was what was being launched in those rockets lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

that feeling when you get a Fori Prime or Vernon Wells layout where you don't have to backtrack to the evac site.....mmmm....

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Benagain posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even realize that was what was being launched in those rockets lol

Yup. You're launching stored tutorial rockets.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
what happens if you stick a thermite grenade on a charger or titan?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

Well it happened, had a game where the regular guard dog put a bullet in the back of my head and sent me to the grave.

Commissar Dog

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Alkydere posted:

Yup. You're launching stored tutorial rockets.

they should launch like the ICBM missiles and land off in the distance on some god forsaken target about to be overrun with defrosted, ragdolling helldivers

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I haven't used the thermite grenades at all but, like, they shouldn't even really be exploding much at all? They should just be doing a gently caress load of burning damage and/or maybe completely removing the armor of whatever area they hit.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone used the grenade pistol yet? Apparently its completely busted it has 600 dmg per shot lol. I guess its just the impact grenade but with better aim and more of it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

See, here's what I think: you'll notice there's a port on the back of your standard issue Helldivers command helmet. I don't think any Helldiver actually attends basic training. I think they just play the tutorial simulation in your brain while you're already on ice. That's why you get to meet a live bug.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ulio posted:

Anyone used the grenade pistol yet? Apparently its completely busted it has 600 dmg per shot lol. I guess its just the impact grenade but with better aim and more of it.

you had me at "it's just the impact grenade"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

WhiteHowler posted:

I'd love to see official statistics on this, but I'm going to guess that the vast majority of Helldivers 2 players have never even finished a level 7 mission.

BadLlama posted:

Are 3/4's of players even playing T7 or above?

If there not then of course they aren't getting the lvl3 upgrades.
I'd expect most players to be playing lower difficulties, from prior experience with DRG where like less than 5% of players actually play haz 5 missions despite them not really being that hard.
This game incentivizes turning up the difficulty more, but it also hit huge casual appeal and I'd expect most players to be playing in a very relaxed manner.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RC Cola posted:

I bet it comes when they add vehicles and the mech strategem moves to its own vehicle category that isn't ready yet. I am very excited for it.
Also I assume at some point they will add in a 4th tier of samples that you can only get on difficulty 9, or higher if they add 10+

They better loving not, it's already kind of obnoxious that Super Samples are locked behind 7+

sushibandit posted:

Ship upgrade that permanently unlocks a support weapon stratagem slot in the top row of the loadout screen loving where/when!? It doesn't even have to be the full stratagem - just initially deploying with the selected weapon would be "good enough" to be worthwhile.

On a related note, missions that reduce you to 3 stratagems are a massive pain in the rear end. I'd legitimately prefer scrambled inputs to "haha have fun with 25% less DEMOCRACY".

Agreed for both, though honestly a general fifth stratagem slot upgrade would be pretty rad

AcidCat posted:

It would be nice to see some kind of system where you could buy samples with requisition slips.

Agreed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

I'd expect most players to be playing lower difficulties, from prior experience with DRG where like less than 5% of players actually play haz 5 missions despite them not really being that hard.
This game incentivizes turning up the difficulty more, but it also hit huge casual appeal and I'd expect most players to be playing in a very relaxed manner.

I am level 62 with everything unlocked except the stuff they released today, and I have been mostly playing difficulty 5. It's chill.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I think thermite grenades were added for dudes that like to jetpack on top of tanks so they can slap a nade on and motor.

The old PlanetSide 2 C4 handshake

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Play 7+

Be not afraid unless you’re playing scientists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Okay I fixed the Adjudicator:

Everyone can enjoy my favorite new gun now.

https://i.imgur.com/px8kLhM.mp4

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 12, 2024