Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
... Is that dollar number representative what each cow is worth ten bux??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

... Is that dollar number representative what each cow is worth ten bux??

what youve never heard of cow insurance

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

One of the little cousins in the family has "had a cough" since she was sick in November.

It's april and she's only fourteen months old so fuckin half her life, just a cough!!

FUCJ

Everytime we take our little one to the doctor, we request that anyone in the room wear an N95, and refuse anyone who won't. And so far we've had 4 lectures about how surgical masks are just as good as N95, and that no one would come to work sick or get sick at the place where all the sick kids come.

Pointing out that you can't pass a fit test in a surgical, so it can't possibly be as effective as an N95 in prevention is always met with 'but the CDC says....'

Gonna have to bring up that cal OSHA is sueing this hospital for not providing correct PPE next time. Admin was giving out surgical masks instead of N95s, violating cal OSHA requirements. It's also the chain that had the Xmas tree outbreak at another location.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

One of the little cousins in the family has "had a cough" since she was sick in November.

It's april and she's only fourteen months old so fuckin half her life, just a cough!!

FUCJ

:whitewater:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Insanite posted:

talked with a home daycare provider the other day.

she mentioned that, ever since she caught covid twice, her impenetrable daycare-forged immune system didn't really work as well as it used to.

some of her kids have also been showing URTI symptoms for about a year since their last covid infection.

cool cool.

i recently caught the flu. it's been over two weeks and i'm just starting to feel normal.

why would anyone be okay with the flu?

Because everyone calls any sinus infection or cold "the flu". So they just think they get a yearly flu, when in reality people get the flu maybe twice a decade.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

FUCJ

That's really awful, I hope she improves :(

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The government is investigating in clean air buildings!

In the most obnoxious grift ways https://arpa-h.gov/news-and-events/arpa-h-launches-breathe-monitor-and-improve-indoor-air-quality

quote:

BREATHE aims to drive the next generation of smart buildings by developing integrated systems that will provide continual assessment, measurement, and reporting of indoor air quality and deploy real-time interventions, such as extra ventilation or disinfection, to reduce airborne threats to human health. If successful, BREATHE will significantly improve the ability to forecast emerging health threats and reduce respiratory disease transmission, a risk that is substantially heightened indoors.

quote:

To build this scalable platform, BREATHE will engage with performers from across a range of expertise, including molecular diagnostic testing and biosensor instrument developers, data analysts, risk assessment software developers, property management firms, building automation system providers, healthcare systems and hospital networks, long-term care facility operators, and others. These teams will build on current smart building technology, designed for comfort and energy efficiency, to employ similar approaches to tackle pathogens and allergens in the air.

The virgin smart building integrated system vs the chad filters duct taped to a box fan

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

💯 they're gonna just put up some ionizers at the end of 6 month of consulting

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's an article from 2023 showing that Australia's black swans are extremely susceptible to the H5 and H7 subtypes of bird flu and are at risk of being wiped out if starts spreading here. Populations in overseas zoos got wiped out in previous bird flu epidemics when other species bounced back okay.

Skip to today and here's an article about the current H5N1 global panzootic (animal pandemic) which points out that Australia is currently one of the last places in the world untouched but scientists say that it's inevitable it'll eventually reach here. :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/galorescircus/status/1778450364263539097?s=46

remember to put the caps back on your sip masks

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Huh. Also to properly safetysip you would need to blow through the straw beforehand and stop drinking before your drink's finished.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i bought a couple of those way back when and it always seemed pretty sus to me

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah it's far too fiddly at the margins for me, like you're creating more problems than you're solving technically

Priorities.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Oldest Man posted:

i bought a couple of those way back when and it always seemed pretty sus to me

They work great idk

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm on a delayed 8 hour flight ATM and someone a few rows back has been hacking every 15-20 seconds since we boarded an hour+ ago. Trust only your respirator.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

They work great idk

how tf you gonna notice a failure mode like this when the thing is on the front of your face

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, I bought a sipmask with the intention of installing it before my 14 hour flight, but that seemed like a really bad situation to try out a new safety feature for the first time and I just tried to hold my breath while sipping water. It's probably fine if a professional is using it, but I ain't no professional.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, I bought a sipmask with the intention of installing it before my 14 hour flight, but that seemed like a really bad situation to try out a new safety feature for the first time and I just tried to hold my breath while sipping water. It's probably fine if a professional is using it, but I ain't no professional.

*thinks back to rooms full of unmasked researchers in conferences about long COVID* Yes . . . professionals . . . riiiiiight.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i trust my sipvalve. when i go to drink i have the straw close by, then as soon as the cap is off the straw is in. hold my breath while drinking, then put the cap back on just as fast. my hands remain close to the mask so its a quick on/off move. i also don't take the cap off and walk around the plane.

now, would i trust it in a bar or an extremely crowded area? probably not, but in flight i feel it's pretty reliable. i've used it on 3 long flights since 2020 and haven't gotten got, so to me, its 100% safe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
sip valve is fine it has bigger holes when you’re drinking with it and Gerard Hughes said it was decent protection while in use, just cap it up after use

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kreeblah posted:

*thinks back to rooms full of unmasked researchers in conferences about long COVID* Yes . . . professionals . . . riiiiiight.

Fair point, though I figure the folks who thought up the sipmask are the sort of people who would prefer not to just pull down their masks to take a drink

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I travel a lot for work and breath holding hasn't failed so far (nothing since 2019) for eating/drinking/immigration, just do a big exhale after the aura is back on

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I've still managed to stay sickness-free despite being in crowded areas. Still only trusting my respirator

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

stopped by my neighborhood 'little free library' that usually has some spices and non perishables items
lol what someone dumped 50+ auras in it
i grabbed a few, loving a

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Ham Cheeks posted:

Still only trusting my respirator

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.producer.com/news/bird-flu-pushes-u-s-dairy-farmers-to-ban-visitors-chop-trees/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tucker Carlson was pre-emptively screeching about liberals trying to force cows to wear masks a year ago

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1615890198423822337

It wasn't pandemic related, some researchers put masks on cows to measure how much methane they exhale, Tucker blew this out of proportion and claimed that liberals would try to force farmers to mask all their cows and make them wear diapers. He found a MAGA farmer who agreed to put a mask on one of her cows during an interview as a stunt

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Apr 12, 2024

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
dang a farmer but also a chud? add them to the list with drs and workers

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

If you needed more reason to get Novavax,

https://twitter.com/Daniel_E_Park/status/1778449483749040372

Too bad they're in danger of going bankrupt next year. Get your moth juice while y'all can

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

If you needed more reason to get Novavax,

https://twitter.com/Daniel_E_Park/status/1778449483749040372

Too bad they're in danger of going bankrupt next year. Get your moth juice while y'all can

wtf does “95% protection” even mean at this point.

quote:

Protection from COVID-19 was defined as a lack of doctor’s visit associated with COVID-19 diagnosis from the index date to the end of the study. A COVID-19 diagnosis was determined based on the receipt of a diagnosis code for proven COVID-19 virus detection; the code was based on patient symptoms and/or laboratory-confirmed COVID-19.

ah yes, my shots “protected” me as well, 100% I guess. *struggles to sleep, move, work, stay still, all in pain and intensely fatigued* TOOLS!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
If you lose your insurance and can't see a doctor, that's also a 100% protection rate :)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

tuyop posted:

wtf does “95% protection” even mean at this point.

ah yes, my shots “protected” me as well, 100% I guess. *struggles to sleep, move, work, stay still, all in pain and intensely fatigued* TOOLS!

Lmao

What a useless endpoint holy poo poo

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Psycho Society posted:

If you lose your insurance and can't see a doctor, that's also a 100% protection rate :)

I moved to an area with a 100% protection rate from covid, and no doctors.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

didn't someone in this thread get covid and then have some fairly significant eye problems?

this video talks about this paper:

quote:

SARS-CoV-2 infects cells lining the blood-retinal barrier and induces a hyperinflammatory immune response in the retina via systemic exposure

not sure it's relevant to the poster i'm thinking of, but might be interesting in general. the person in the video mentions their eye doctor has been seeing an uptick in eye issues since the start of the pandemic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shiroc posted:

The government is investigating in clean air buildings!

In the most obnoxious grift ways https://arpa-h.gov/news-and-events/arpa-h-launches-breathe-monitor-and-improve-indoor-air-quality

The virgin smart building integrated system vs the chad filters duct taped to a box fan

I was in a government building recently that put these projects to shame. It was a pit toilet with a large, continuously operating exhaust fan on the roof.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

My mom has had a persistent cough since 2020 that gets worse every year but she’s claims it’s “normal.” The doctor even gave an inhaler but she refuses to use it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
At a playground recently, one kid (not far from mine) was hacking up a lung the whole time. Overheard his mom saying that he had "the two-month cough. That cough all the kids are getting that lasts for two months." 🫠

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

At a playground recently, one kid (not far from mine) was hacking up a lung the whole time. Overheard his mom saying that he had "the two-month cough. That cough all the kids are getting that lasts for two months." 🫠

lol absolutely mental

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zugzwang posted:

"the two-month cough. That cough all the kids are getting that lasts for two months."

I've heard this exact phrasing several times, it's demoralizing