Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mebh posted:

I'm here for Crispix being an IK as well. He's a good egg.

Seems fine by me, I'll propose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Today I also discovered that venison farming in the UK is a whole thing. Over here the usda inspection process for deer is apparently a really annoying hassle, so almost nobody raises them commercially and it's either expensive or sourced from individual hunters you happen to know.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

thank you lubbers

it is my birthday today, too ;-*

The only condition is all your probe reasons have to be done in the style of NORMAN!!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Goatse James Bond posted:

Today I also discovered that venison farming in the UK is a whole thing. Over here the usda inspection process for deer is apparently a really annoying hassle, so almost nobody raises them commercially and it's either expensive or sourced from individual hunters you happen to know.

this is wrong sorry, it’s a growing industry in the us (and canada) too

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

mediaphage posted:

this is wrong sorry, it’s a growing industry in the us (and canada) too

Well, good! I didn't really know beans about it beyond the hunter thing before today.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the bigger barrier are state laws but plenty of states allow it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Goatse James Bond posted:

Well, good! I didn't really know beans about it beyond the hunter thing before today.

yeah depending on the state you’re correct that it can be tough to find if you’re not a hunter or know one and frankly maybe that’s good - if i still lived back home i might have stopped hunting deer by this point because chronic wasting disease is everywhere

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I found out today several people at my work read this thread. That's both amazing and terrifying. I shall continue to :justpost: but now I can't talk too much poo poo about my company anymore :( (to be fair, for a corporation they're pretty good, but could be a lot better!)

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

So I just randomly came across the official website of Interpol and their list of former presidents. If you scroll down, there are some rather interesting characters in there, listed on a modern website entirely without context or other mention. It's quite surreal.

https://www.interpol.int/en/Who-we-are/Governance/President/Former-Presidents

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tomberforce posted:

So I just randomly came across the official website of Interpol and their list of former presidents. If you scroll down, there are some rather interesting characters in there, listed on a modern website entirely without context or other mention. It's quite surreal.

I mean if you're looking for folks who are highly motivated to pursue people...

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tomberforce posted:

:ohno:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Mebh posted:

I found out today several people at my work read this thread. That's both amazing and terrifying. I shall continue to :justpost: but now I can't talk too much poo poo about my company anymore :( (to be fair, for a corporation they're pretty good, but could be a lot better!)

Really curious as to how this even came up!

Also another vote in the pot for CrispIK

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
One of the many lurkers popping out of the woodwork due to this whole mess of a situation.

OwlFancier posted:

There's an unspoken assumption underneath all the "oh young kids shoudn't be making these decisions" which is that the decisions are being fabricated by the nefarious gay agenda and if that wasn't happening then nobody would have to make the decision.

Using this as a jumping off point, I admit I find it kind of revealing that this often goes further "kids are too young to make a decision about gender" is raised as a situation with regard to puberty blockers.
Because in a way isn't that the whole mess with puberty anyway?
If you're so convinced people under the age of majority can't make this decision, surely the sensible thing is to make puberty blockers available for all because otherwise you're forcing someone to undergo a potentially traumatic situation that you've admitted you don't think they're able to make a decision on?

It does boil down to cruelty being the point.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Tindalos posted:

If you're so convinced people under the age of majority can't make this decision, surely the sensible thing is to make puberty blockers available for all because otherwise you're forcing someone to undergo a potentially traumatic situation that you've admitted you don't think they're able to make a decision on?

It’s a case of better 1000 trans kids have to go through trauma and lifelong unwanted physical changes than one precious cis kid regret their decision.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fuctifino posted:

GBeebies biggest financial backer is pulling out :toot:

This man looks like an evil David Lynch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tomberforce posted:

I would simply not claim the history of the International Criminal Police Commission if only to not have to put up pictures of Reinhard Heydrich & Ernest Kaltenbrunner

Guess that's why I'll never be an Interpol type, not wanting to associate myself with someone executed at Nuremburg for war crimes & crimes against humanity

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 12, 2024

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mebh posted:

Can we tell how many lurkers there are in this thread vs actual posters? I was wondering what the ratio is: like 10 lurkers for every poster, or something?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

This man looks like an evil David Lynch.

I was surprised to find out he used to be a lib dem

quote:

Marshall was a member and donor of the Liberal Democrats, and in 2004 co-edited the influential Orange Book alongside a number of prominent Liberal Democrat politicians. In 2015 he left the party due to his support for Brexit, and subsequently donated to the Brexit campaign and the Conservative Party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tindalos posted:

Using this as a jumping off point, I admit I find it kind of revealing that this often goes further "kids are too young to make a decision about gender" is raised as a situation with regard to puberty blockers.
Because in a way isn't that the whole mess with puberty anyway?

There's a bizarre appeal to nature in there too, when large chunks of modern medicine is predicated on nature sometimes going wrong.

To which the reactionary response is like "yeah but not queer poo poo".

If you compare and contrast that to the amount of unnecessary surgery and hormonal intervention done to girls with congenital adrenal hyperplasia, then it becomes obvious that the whole thing is down to a combination of social hetero normalcy bias and a suspicion that anything outside of that is something that kids are doing on purpose to be wilful.

fuctifino posted:

I was surprised to find out he used to be a lib dem
Thought this was going to be about the interpol nazis.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Are there any other areas of medicine that it would be unethical to perform a double blind study? Something like cancer research.

I am thinking about how to counter the counter to saying "no double blinds".

Edit: I asked copilot what it thought and this is the answer it gave me:

It would be unethical to perform a double-blind experiment in scenarios where withholding treatment from a control group would cause harm or deny them the best-known method of care. Specifically, it's considered unethical to conduct a double-blind placebo-controlled trial where a standard therapy exists and should be provided¹. This is because participants in the placebo group would not receive the established effective treatment, potentially putting their health at risk.

Additionally, if the experiment could cause psychological harm, distress, or discomfort beyond ethical limits, it would also be considered unethical. The ethical principles of beneficence (doing good) and non-maleficence (not doing harm) are central to the decision-making process regarding the ethical design of any experiment, including double-blind studies.

In all research involving human participants, the welfare of the participants must take precedence over the interests of science and society, and ethical considerations should be at the forefront of any experimental design.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 12/04/2024
(1) Double-Blind Experimental Study And Procedure Explained - Simply Psychology. https://www.simplypsychology.org/double-blind-experimental-study-and-procedure-explained.html.
(2) Who knew? The misleading specificity of “double-blind” and what to do .... https://trialsjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13063-020-04607-5.
(3) What Is a Double Blind Experiment? - ThoughtCo. https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-double-blind-experiment-3126170.
(4) Double-Blind Studies in Research - Verywell Mind. https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-double-blind-study-2795103.

Which ties up with what others were saying earlier.

Here are some examples:

Examples of unethical double-blind experiments typically involve situations where the withholding of treatment could cause harm, or the nature of the experiment itself could lead to distress or discomfort for the participants. Here are a few historical examples that highlight unethical practices in double-blind experimentation:

- **Tuskegee Syphilis Study**: Conducted between 1932 and 1972, this infamous study involved African American men who had syphilis. The researchers did not inform the participants of their diagnosis nor treat them with penicillin, the standard treatment, even after it became widely available.

- **Willowbrook Hepatitis Study**: In this study, children with intellectual disabilities at the Willowbrook State School were intentionally infected with hepatitis in an attempt to track the development of the viral disease and to test the effects of gamma globulin.

- **The Jewish Chronic Disease Hospital Case**: In 1963, researchers injected live cancer cells into patients without their consent to see if their bodies would reject them.

These examples violated ethical principles such as informed consent, beneficence, and non-maleficence. Modern ethical standards and review boards have been established to prevent such unethical research practices from occurring again.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 12/04/2024
(1) Double-Blind Experimental Study And Procedure Explained - Simply Psychology. https://www.simplypsychology.org/double-blind-experimental-study-and-procedure-explained.html.
(2) Single, Double & Triple Blind Study | Definition & Examples - Scribbr. https://www.scribbr.com/methodology/double-blind-study/.
(3) 1.4.5 - Blinding | STAT 200 - Statistics Online. https://online.stat.psu.edu/stat200/lesson/1/1.4/1.4.5.
(4) What Is a Double Blind Experiment? - ThoughtCo. https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-double-blind-experiment-3126170.

I hope this doesn't come off as flippant. I am very annoyed at the cass report as I read about it.

notaspy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 12, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

notaspy posted:

Are there any other areas of medicine that it would be unethical to perform a double blind study? Something like cancer research.

Organ transplants is something that stands out to me: "Sorry Mr Smith, you were in the control group and received placebo heart.... Mr Smith?.....Hello?......"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

e: ignore

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pistol_Pete posted:

Can we tell how many lurkers there are in this thread vs actual posters? I was wondering what the ratio is: like 10 lurkers for every poster, or something?

When we used to do polls in the monthly threads, I seem to recall we got hundreds and sometimes almost a thousand responses via that.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

notaspy posted:

The link posted above about parachutes is probably the best for getting a grasp of the issues.

Generally speaking, while double blind studies are the theoretical ideal, they are pretty rarely practical and ethical. At least outside a few narrow circumstances, like ‘we have a good drug, but this new one may or not be 1% better’.

That doesn’t excuse not having a control group at all though. You can presumably prove parachutes are a good idea because you can look at historical data about survival rates of people jumping out of aeroplanes without them. This tends to be difficult and easy to get wrong, but is better than going full Mengele.

If you don’t do that, then perhaps the only thing you have is testimony from people who jumped out of a burning plane and had their lives saved. Which is not ideal, but it’s also not nothing.

Certainly it should only be overridden when you have something better.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

forkboy84 posted:

Guess that's why I'll never be an Interpol type, not wanting to associate myself with someone executed at Nuremburg for war crimes & crimes against humanity

That's just a sign that the system works. Most other police organisations don't deal with corruption with the same seriousness.

(Also the Chinese head of Interpol went missing, then later it was found out that he had been secretly detained and convicted by China)

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 12, 2024

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns

Miftan posted:

When we used to do polls in the monthly threads, I seem to recall we got hundreds and sometimes almost a thousand responses via that.

But 800 were Pissflaps alts voting to keep him in the thread

All other posters are just an elaborate Trevor Bastard extended universe project

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tomberforce posted:

Not as remarkable as the list of Nazis, but Carl G. Persson gives off tremendous Hugh Mann vibes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I would simply not claim the history of the International Criminal Police Commission if only to not have to put up pictures of Reinhard Heydrich & Ernest Kaltenbrunner
It's very accurately named though, you have to give it that much.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

Imagine walking up to your colleagues at a lunch table in the work canteen , and you catch the end of their conversation like "...yeah it's just like that Pissflaps drama from a few years back, the threads really gone downhill".

I think I would just start running from the building like Forrest Gump

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Imagine hearing people in the break room discussing "not just a number ninety nine" and thread banning. I'd assume I'm having a stroke.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

radmonger posted:

The link posted above about parachutes is probably the best for getting a grasp of the issues.

Generally speaking, while double blind studies are the theoretical ideal, they are pretty rarely practical and ethical. At least outside a few narrow circumstances, like ‘we have a good drug, but this new one may or not be 1% better’.

That doesn’t excuse not having a control group at all though. You can presumably prove parachutes are a good idea because you can look at historical data about survival rates of people jumping out of aeroplanes without them. This tends to be difficult and easy to get wrong, but is better than going full Mengele.

If you don’t do that, then perhaps the only thing you have is testimony from people who jumped out of a burning plane and had their lives saved. Which is not ideal, but it’s also not nothing.

Certainly it should only be overridden when you have something better.

I think this is what has gotten me, saying "double blind" is a bit like a thought terminating cliché. I have never had reason to look into the limitations of it as a process and I am willing to bet nor have a lot of other people.

So what do you do in a situation when a double blind isn't viable? Some sort of meta analysis of all available data?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

notaspy posted:

I think this is what has gotten me, saying "double blind" is a bit like a thought terminating cliché. I have never had reason to look into the limitations of it as a process and I am willing to bet nor have a lot of other people.

So what do you do in a situation when a double blind isn't viable? Some sort of meta analysis of all available data?

You do a single-blinded open-label study.

Or else do a meta-analysis from decades of Real World Evidence

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

Interpol might be the Ur- example of a few rotten apples, and the completion of the sentence, that they spoil the whole barrel, and should be thrown out completely.

I also just want to chime in, that you the thread engaged with me in a sensible way, when I displayed my ignorance about Hamas, and the Oct 7th attacks. As a long-time lurker, I dont usually engage with the thread because im working when it moves the quickest, but i do use it as a lunchtime news catch up. I dontknow what I would do without it.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Imagine walking up to your colleagues at a lunch table in the work canteen , and you catch the end of their conversation like "...yeah it's just like that Pissflaps drama from a few years back, the threads really gone downhill".

I think I would just start running from the building like Forrest Gump

Tesseraction posted:

Imagine hearing people in the break room discussing "not just a number ninety nine" and thread banning. I'd assume I'm having a stroke.

Can mods do a name swap??

Both made me chuckle though, thanks

I would also suspect some kind of gang stalking if even one person I knew irl was a secret UKMT goon

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Imagine a police organisation ran by Nazis, unthinkable in this day and age.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I was originally introduced to this site by two fellow computer touchers working at a doomed dot-bomb startup in Paris.

I wonder if they are still on here?

[insert 'ItsBeen84Years.gif' meme]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I sometimes worry that people can recognise the Awful app colour scheme when I'm browsing on the bus. But then I remember how dead the forums are and relax

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

The Saviour posted:

I also just want to chime in, that you the thread engaged with me in a sensible way, when I displayed my ignorance about Hamas, and the Oct 7th attacks. As a long-time lurker, I dont usually engage with the thread because im working when it moves the quickest, but i do use it as a lunchtime news catch up. I dontknow what I would do without it.

Same - i'm basically a permanent lurker but read the thread daily and have learned more than I could possibly list from reading its various iterations over the past (14? gently caress!) years.
Undoubtedly has made me a more empathic person, less quick to judge in all sorts of ways. Try to spread that around in my personal interactions at least.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I put a napkin over my head when browsing the awful app, to hide my shame from both God and other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

I put a napkin over my head when browsing the awful app, to hide my shame from both God and other people.

:hmmyes: