Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
It puts the checkmark on it’s skin or else it gets the tantrum again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

...! posted:

you WILL show everyone your poor financial decisions

[link]

DYC – defend your checkmark

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

i feel like they should let someone whose first language is english write their copy

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
the problem is definitely solved

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

the everything app

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

infernal machines posted:

matt levine wrote about it earlier today. basically, spacex is a private company and they have a lot of leeway with reporting whatever the gently caress they want for profit/revenue

if they're selling launches to themselves at zero cost, or whatever, who's going to stop them?

also iirc elon "borrowed" a bunch of money from SpaceX to fund buying twitter because he didn't have the liquid cash on hand, something which is a hallmark of good corporate governance

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

...! posted:

who is paying the GPU bill for this poo poo?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

who is paying the GPU bill for this poo poo?
Sure, please provide the post you would like me to respond to

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also iirc elon "borrowed" a bunch of money from SpaceX to fund buying twitter because he didn't have the liquid cash on hand, something which is a hallmark of good corporate governance

yeah, I can't remember the full details but because of how he paid it back via Tesla stock his $2bn loan cost him $4bn overall

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
There's a lot of cross linked accounts like that with all of musks companies. He's taken from SpaceX to fund his sewer digging company, Tesla helped pay for Twitter, he took from SpaceX to pay for things on Twitter and in Tesla. Any actual sane accountant and a decent board would have stopped him multiple times but lol when you take you board members out to do drugs that tends to not be an issue.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

UCS Hellmaker posted:

There's a lot of cross linked accounts like that with all of musks companies. He's taken from SpaceX to fund his sewer digging company, Tesla helped pay for Twitter, he took from SpaceX to pay for things on Twitter and in Tesla. Any actual sane accountant and a decent board would have stopped him multiple times but lol when you take you board members out to do drugs that tends to not be an issue.

and it helps that for his public companies, even the retail shareholders are mostly sycophants

except that one guy that brought that compensation case in delaware

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

corporate governance? no, money misused!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

it’s the opposite of that because it’s the company where he has the least input and virtually none in engineering iirc
except for Starship. that is 100% Elon's baby, and the results speak for themselves

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Even more funny is that super heavy is a proven rocket that works, and doesn't have nearly the complexity or issues of.stsrship, but musk is likely demanding that all launches need to be starship now because it's his baby and falcon heavy is old news.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

UCS Hellmaker posted:

He's taken from SpaceX to fund his sewer digging company, [...] he took from SpaceX to pay for things on Twitter

You have Twitter twice in this list.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

gschmidl posted:

You have Twitter twice in this list.

sewers are functional and important tho

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

not when he builds them, then they're just manual labourer injuring mechanisms

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chris Knight posted:

except for Starship. that is 100% Elon's baby, and the results speak for themselves

even then he just hosed it up by walking in to where the real engineers were and insisting on a launch before they were ready

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

well you have to also bear in mind the general Elon quotient where his mere proximity enturds even the best designed machines

his dipshit miasma likely infected the ship, making it less airtight, more flammable and one of its thrusters to fire backwards no matter which way around you attach it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mediaphage posted:

even then he just hosed it up by walking in to where the real engineers were and insisting on a launch before they were ready

before the faa approval, too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in a well actually posted:

before the faa approval, too

no they had approval. they hosed it up and got it revoked by being completely irresponsible and destroying the launch area and causing general environmental mayhem

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

i feel like they should let someone whose first language is english write their copy

i thought you were firmly in the "generative models are useful" camp?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

they are useful, for spotting a mark

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mediaphage posted:

no they had approval. they hosed it up and got it revoked by being completely irresponsible and destroying the launch area and causing general environmental mayhem

before that fuckup they had this one https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22352366/elon-musk-spacex-faa-warnings-starship-sn8-launch-violation-texas

faa told them they were not approved to launch given conditions and they did anyway

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

in a well actually posted:

before that fuckup they had this one https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22352366/elon-musk-spacex-faa-warnings-starship-sn8-launch-violation-texas

faa told them they were not approved to launch given conditions and they did anyway

ah well, nevertheless

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

imo that’s a separate issue but still hilariously inept on the part of the manbaby in chief

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

but grok's first language is javascript

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

...! posted:

lmao goddamn

just bots talking to bots. no problems here, no sir

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Even more funny is that super heavy is a proven rocket that works, and doesn't have nearly the complexity or issues of.stsrship, but musk is likely demanding that all launches need to be starship now because it's his baby and falcon heavy is old news.

ah yes but have you considered using like 30 of them all at once? i mean it does show that about 70% of the engines work all of the time and that's a higher number than 50%, so being better odds than a coin flip it is likely to work all of the time. why yes elon has a SBF-level geniuous understanding of statistics why do you ask

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao goddamn

but they unregret every second of it, and isnt that the most important metric of all

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao goddamn

twitter usage is at an all-time high! so much organic traffic!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

my favorite part of the deposition from a few days ago was elon repeatedly referring to the service as "twitter" but only switched to "x" once he started on his definitely-not-rehearsed spiel about free speech

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

infernal machines posted:

if they're selling launches to themselves at zero cost, or whatever, who's going to stop them?

incredible; elon said he was going to reduce the cost of getting to space, and he's exceeded everyone's expectations yet again. truly a visionary genius

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Eeyo posted:

even if they figure out a way to stop this, they'll never implement it cause traffic would immediately bottom out

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:staredog: https://www.thenation.com/article/society/tesla-racism-sexual-harassment/

paragraph 4 posted:

On her second day of training, Turley noticed the phrase “Black bitches need to go home” written on the bathroom walls. Once she started working on the line, she heard her white male lead—the person who supervised her on the floor—use the N-word and other racial slurs like “coon,” according to a legal complaint she filed later. He also frequently used the words “bitch” and “oval office.” He “used just about every awful and offensive word I can think of,” Turley said in the filing. It wasn’t just him; other white coworkers also often used the N-word around her and her fellow Black coworkers. She frequently saw the word “bitch” written on the bathroom walls alongside the N-word and “KKK.”

Turley likes to wear layers, dressing like a “tomboy,” she said. Her lead and another coworker started making comments about her being gay, harassing her for her appearance.
this is how the article starts and it doesn't slow down from here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

:staredog: https://www.thenation.com/article/society/tesla-racism-sexual-harassment/

this is how the article starts and it doesn't slow down from here

jesus christ

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i’ve never worked on a factory floor, how many times as bad is the tesla factory compared to a random car manufacturer?

like horrible poo poo in the bathroom sounds unsurprising, but open use of the n word is pretty bad.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eeyo posted:

i’ve never worked on a factory floor, how many times as bad is the tesla factory compared to a random car manufacturer?

like horrible poo poo in the bathroom sounds unsurprising, but open use of the n word is pretty bad.

i'm recalling the recent Musk interview where he said that racism would be over already if not for minorities playing the race card all the time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’ve only worked a couple but it was mostly classic sexist talk about women “i’d gently caress her” etc. i’m a white guy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

quote:

Two California agencies that regulate robotaxis said they haven’t heard from Tesla about its plans for the cars, even though Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced last week that he’ll reveal a new robotaxi product in August.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles and the California Public Utilities Commission, or CPUC, said in separate statements to NBC News that Tesla hadn’t applied for the two permits it would need to operate a driverless car service in the country’s most populous state.

Two other states that regulate robotaxis, Arizona and Nevada, also said they had not heard from Tesla about its plans.

The lack of permits — or any attempt to acquire them — raises questions about how quickly Tesla would be able to get a robotaxi service up and running.

“Tesla’s a long way away from getting that approval,” said Brad Templeton, a consultant in the autonomous vehicle industry.

Representatives for Tesla didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday.

California, which has been ground zero for the rollout of robotaxis, requires aspiring robotaxi services to obtain at least two permits.

The DMV handles permits to deploy autonomous equipment on the road, and Tesla currently has the lowest-level permit, allowing it to test autonomous vehicles with human drivers present. Only three companies have the highest-level permit, which allows them to deploy autonomous vehicles without human drivers.

“Tesla has not applied for a deployment permit with the DMV,” the department said in a statement in response to questions.

If Tesla were to deploy robotaxis that are autonomous, it added, “the DMV will take steps to make certain that Tesla operates under the appropriate autonomous vehicle permits.”

The CPUC handles permits to operate robotaxis as businesses, including for tech startup Waymo’s services in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Tesla has no CPUC permit and hasn’t applied, the commission said.

“If Tesla wanted to provide a robotaxi service they’d need to follow the same rules as other such companies (i.e., DMV approval for driverless testing/deployment before seeking a CPUC permit). The CPUC has not been contacted for such a permit,” the commission said in a statement in response to questions.

Waymo, a spinoff of Google, needed eight months to get its initial CPUC permit to operate a robotaxi business that could charge fares, as opposed to offering free test rides only. It applied in December 2022 and won approval in August.

Templeton said it’s possible Tesla’s timeline for approval could be shorter than eight months — or longer.

“It could also be that they think Tesla is premature and they never approve it,” he said. Templeton is a former member of Google’s self-driving car team, which became Waymo, but he left a decade ago and said he no longer has ties to the company.

Tesla has approached the challenge of self-driving technology differently from Waymo, for example. Tesla has relied less on expensive hardware sensors such as LiDAR, and it has deployed driver assistance systems in stages nationwide while Waymo and General Motors subsidiary Cruise focused on mastering small geographic areas, such as parts of the Phoenix and San Francisco metro areas.

Tesla does not yet have publicly released technology for a car to drive without human supervision. Its “full self-driving” product requires a human driver to be present and ready to take over at any time.

Each state handles robotaxi regulation differently, and it’s possible that Tesla could seek to launch a service without California, although it would mean cutting out a major market. Tesla was the No. 2 seller of new cars and light trucks in the state last year, with 230,589 new registrations, behind only Toyota, according to a report from the California New Car Dealers Association.

Musk hinted at his plans in a brief post late Friday afternoon on X, writing: “Tesla Robotaxi unveil on 8/8.”

He gave no details about his plans, but the post boosted the morale of Tesla fans on social media who had watched the company get battered in the business media and on Wall Street. Three days earlier, Tesla shares fell after the company reported a drop in deliveries, but on Monday, the next trading day after Musk’s post, Tesla’s share price rose 4.9%, Reuters reported.

Tesla message boards have been rife with speculation about what Musk’s August announcement would be. It’s not even clear whether Musk plans to announce a vehicle, a service or something else.

Musk has talked about a robotaxi service for years. In 2019, he discussed plans to launch a robotaxi fleet using Tesla vehicles that people had leased and then returned. That strategy would have shifted the startup costs of building a fleet — in particular, the depreciation costs — to leaseholders, drivers and analysts noted at the time.

Musk has also talked about a robotaxi service with decentralized ownership, in which Tesla owners could rent out their cars for fares.

Tesla may need authorization from various states or localities to operate a nationwide robotaxi fleet.

In Arizona, Waymo and Cruise have permits from the state Transportation Department to operate as “transportation network companies,” or TNCs, and it says a similar permitting process would apply to companies with similar services.

The Arizona DOT “has not received any TNC paperwork from Tesla,” spokesperson Bill Lamoreaux said in an email. “That said, it is our understanding that Tesla is neither operating autonomous vehicles nor a transportation network company in Arizona at this time.”

The department has also not received paperwork from Tesla for a second, separate process to self-certify autonomous vehicles, he said.

Cruise, which also obtained California permits for a robotaxi service, halted operations nationwide last year after one of its cars in San Francisco failed to detect a pedestrian pinned underneath it and then dragged her for 20 feet. California officials also accused Cruise of failing to properly disclose details of the incident, and they revoked Cruise’s permits. Cruise said this week it was resuming testing with human drivers.

Amazon subsidiary Zoox has said it has authorization from Nevada to operate a robotaxi service, which hasn’t launched. Nevada has a “self-certification” process for robotaxi operations, and the Nevada DMV says it will issue a “certificate of compliance” to those eligible.

The Nevada DMV has not received paperwork from Tesla to begin the certification process, said Eli Rohl, a department spokesperson, but he said the process doesn’t need to take long.

“If Tesla was interested in getting certified or permitted in Nevada, they could likely do so in short order,” he said in an email.

Tesla already has a rocky relationship with California regulators. In 2022, the California DMV accused it of engaging in deceptive practices around the marketing of its driver assistance systems, including using the product name “Full Self-Driving.” An administrative hearing in that matter is scheduled for September.