Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Just wait for the giant snow penises to be built

Edit: haha, hell of a snipe there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1778467738995896418?t=h_Qq-d-BJSjRx_WqaEKVjA&s=19

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:ohno: ...... wow!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/spitperson/status/1778472974120607901

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/Hayesfawcett3/status/1778530852127051969

High-school recruiting is going to be such an rear end in the next couple of years or the future altogether. Your freshman won't have patience if they are told they will sit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Harbaugh at Michigan Pro Day:

https://x.com/chargers/status/1778487657645138402?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lost it at do do do do do do

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

A Sneaker Broker posted:

https://x.com/Hayesfawcett3/status/1778530852127051969

High-school recruiting is going to be such an rear end in the next couple of years or the future altogether. Your freshman won't have patience if they are told they will sit.

Ohio state?

That's my guess. Think somebody is really shelling out over there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I hope he can get some chickens at his new place :unsmith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Komet posted:

I know Northwestern is historically one of the worst programs in conference history, but they've been pretty consistently respectable for 20 years. Playing on the practice field for 2+ years to bleacher seating for like 10,000 people is going to damage their revenue to a huge degree. Northwestern is close enough a drive to most of the Big Ten. They could at least fill part of a larger stadium with visiting fans. It just seems institutionally embarrassing. They make like twice as much TV money as Florida State and they can't figure out how to rent out one of the baseball stadiums at least?

Do we know what they were averaging for attendance at Ryan Field beforehand? (Which is what, in the 40,000 range for capacity?)

Do we know how much game-day gate revenue was coming in to the athletic department and how that weighs versus all the TV money from the conference?

I'm guessing Northwestern didn't have both super high ticket prices or attendance, so dropping to 10,000 will have less impact than if you suddenly dropped, say, Michigan down to 25,000 (because they likely have much higher prices for some of the seats, and tend to sell out, not just when they're really good).

Punch line is because NU is private we won't know any of this, but yeah, I'm not really going to cry because they're doing this of their own free will and accord. Nobody made them blow up the old stadium such that you can't use it during construction ala Oregon State or Vanderbilt last year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

[Pained Grunt]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

harperdc posted:

Do we know what they were averaging for attendance at Ryan Field beforehand? (Which is what, in the 40,000 range for capacity?)

Do we know how much game-day gate revenue was coming in to the athletic department and how that weighs versus all the TV money from the conference?

I'm guessing Northwestern didn't have both super high ticket prices or attendance, so dropping to 10,000 will have less impact than if you suddenly dropped, say, Michigan down to 25,000 (because they likely have much higher prices for some of the seats, and tend to sell out, not just when they're really good).

Punch line is because NU is private we won't know any of this, but yeah, I'm not really going to cry because they're doing this of their own free will and accord. Nobody made them blow up the old stadium such that you can't use it during construction ala Oregon State or Vanderbilt last year.

Depends on the game. Ryan Field held up to around 40,000 but was only filled for games against Big Ten schools who are good. Games against like Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois would only fill up if those teams didn't suck. You're looking at around 20k for probably half the home games, depending on the schedule. I'd say you were probably looking at maybe 18-20,000 Northwestern fans at the absolute maximum and usually much less than that so it all depended on the opponent.

I haven't had season tickets since 2018, but they cost around $250 a ticket for seats on in the east side next to the NU parents. I assume they've gone up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jeremor posted:

Ohio state?

That's my guess. Think somebody is really shelling out over there.

For the sake of comedy I hope it's Iowa and they get fleeced again.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ryan Field held up to around 40,000 but was only filled for games against Big Ten schools who are good.

this is nebraska erasure

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that's true, they show up no matter what and are always so loving impressed with themselves that so many of them are there and yell out things like "let's go shirts." Guess what, they're all wearing shirts!!!!!

Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State tend to fill up the place no matter what, just a gazillion alums in the area and expect an easy W.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I took my dad to the game where MSU lost in overtime, which was painful, but I also went as a neutral observer to the game where they beat Jack Coan era Wisconsin and participated in a field rush of maybe a hundred people. RIP

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

I took my dad to the game where MSU lost in overtime, which was painful, but I also went as a neutral observer to the game where they beat Jack Coan era Wisconsin and participated in a field rush of maybe a hundred people. RIP

My (bama alum) brother in law and I went to the Akron game with brand new Akron gear on, talked poo poo to the NU fans the entire time which was fun when they were getting stomped, then got really embarrassed when Akron proceeded to win off three straight defensive TDs. We should have rushed the field though

Then northwestern won the division that year.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

R.D. Mangles posted:

that's true, they show up no matter what and are always so loving impressed with themselves that so many of them are there and yell out things like "let's go shirts." Guess what, they're all wearing shirts!!!!!

All we have is our ability to show up

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

there was a period of time when northwestern just kept beating wisconsin at ryan field despite the fact that they were functionally wisconsin home games and wisconsin always had a much better team and it was hilarious, they won like 4 consecutive games against them almost always because wisconsin would have their running back run like 99 yards dragging the entire northwestern defense behind them and then let their dogshit wisconsin quarterback throw one pass that was immediately intercepted.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

there was a period of time when northwestern just kept beating wisconsin at ryan field despite the fact that they were functionally wisconsin home games and wisconsin always had a much better team and it was hilarious, they won like 4 consecutive games against them almost always because wisconsin would have their running back run like 99 yards dragging the entire northwestern defense behind them and then let their dogshit wisconsin quarterback throw one pass that was immediately intercepted.

god i love the b1g

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I am truly going to miss watching B1G football on Saturday mornings and afternoons and scoreboard watching and seeing goofy bullshit like PUNT PUNT PUNT MISSED FG PUNT INT INT FUMBLE PUNT PUNT FG FG TOUCHDOWN PUNT PUNT BLOCKED PUNT via the B1G West.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It must constantly be reiterated that if the present day Iowa Hawkeyes were able to field even a middle of the road offense, run by a middle of the road QB, they’d become borderline unstoppable and would compete for a National title annually.

But Kirk Ferentz & Pals cannot for the life of them find any human beings on Earth who are interested in playing any offensive position outside of TE for that program.

It’s mindboggling.

Edit:

The Hawkeyes were 4th nationally in fewest PPG allowed (13.2)…..and second to last in PPG scored (15.4).

Only Kent State was worse with 14.7 PPG on offense.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 13, 2024

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Radia posted:

god i love the b1g
:hmmyes: It is perfect football.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
College football will not be the same without the Big Ten West.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Gonz posted:

It must constantly be reiterated that if the present day Iowa Hawkeyes were able to field even a middle of the road offense, run by a middle of the road QB, they’d become borderline unstoppable and would compete for a National title annually.

But Kirk Ferentz & Pals cannot for the life of them find any human beings on Earth who are interested in playing any offensive position outside of TE for that program.

It’s mindboggling.

Remember 15-20 years ago when Bud Foster would create insanely sick defenses for Virginia Tech only to get paired with the most inert offenses of all time? At some point you have to think that a do-nothing offense is a design objective for a team that focuses so heavily on defense.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Gonz posted:

It’s mindboggling.

Edit:

The Hawkeyes were 4th nationally in fewest PPG allowed (13.2)…..and second to last in PPG scored (15.4).

Only Kent State was worse with 14.7 PPG on offense.

I think it’s kind of a zero-sum thing. The defense would still be good if they had a better offense that was actually geared towards scoring points, but I think the fact that the offense is geared towards ball control undoubtedly helps push the defense into elite territory (statistically speaking).

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

General Dog posted:

I think it’s kind of a zero-sum thing. The defense would still be good if they had a better offense that was actually geared towards scoring points, but I think the fact that the offense is geared towards ball control undoubtedly helps push the defense into elite territory (statistically speaking).

Iowa was 102nd in the nation in time of possession last season. (UGA was far and away #1, for what it's worth.)

I know it's not the end all be all, but it's a hallmark of a lovely offensive mindset that we're gonna be conservative and manly and exert our will and all that and then end up punting after 10 seconds of gametime.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

Iowa was 102nd in the nation in time of possession last season. (UGA was far and away #1, for what it's worth.)

I know it's not the end all be all, but it's a hallmark of a lovely offensive mindset that we're gonna be conservative and manly and exert our will and all that and then end up punting after 10 seconds of gametime.

A Ball Control gameplan where you never control the ball is just one of many innovations coming out of Iowa City.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In any event, it seems like Iowa’s operating very near the program ceiling at that 8-10 wins per year clip. The fact that they’re getting there in an interesting way rather than just being another good, samey spread/RPO offense with a mediocre defense- that’s compelling, and the sport is more interesting for it: I’d kill for the Aggies to be that kind of team.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I do not respect Iowa's defense and I think that it is rated highly because they don't play against any offenses.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Iowa wouldn't be cruising at 8-10 wins in the SEC West (or B1G East)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Austin Peay gave us a more interesting game last year. They took shots on offense and defense and won some rolls.

Iowa just sort of stood there and slowly died. Just some dog poo poo play calling and scheming in my opinion. A bunch of "Ask Madden" decisions that are fine in a vacuum but didn't show great awareness of the matchup or game state

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess I just find something appealing about the idea of Ferentz continuing to implement a retrograde vision for how the team should work, indifferent to what most of the fans want.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kirk Ferentz, in a fit of pique, hires Jon Bois and Kofie to Fumble Dimension the offense by only ever calling one play.

Somehow, Iowa's offense improves.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

Actually this was very traumatic and I'm hoping the evil alien power crystal buried beneath Ryan Field gets destroyed during construction

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I don't care if it's only scrimmages. It's gameday mofos.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

I guess I just find something appealing about the idea of Ferentz continuing to implement a retrograde vision for how the team should work, indifferent to what most of the fans want.

Kirk Ferentz and Kyle Wittingham probably have very similar football philosophies and yet Witt was able to have a functional offense despite playing Backup QB Roulette the entire year

even Saban himself realized 3 yards and a cloud of dust wasn't going to cut it anymore

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Hawkeyes are just trapped in a neverending gameplan of offenses past.

Like the Chicago Bears, who, for decades, still believe that it’s 1985, and have not once produced a QB who has thrown for 4,000 yards or 30 touchdowns in a single season.

Whereas the Hawkeyes are stuck in 1885, and the concept of the forward pass is something that confuses and frightens Kirk Ferentz. Like humanity before Prometheus gave it Fire.

I was browsing a furniture store in metro Phoenix last December, two or three days before the B1G title game, minding my own business, and some crusty old dude in an Iowa hat saw my Michigan sweatshirt and started talking mad poo poo. He made Lou Holtz look young.

“You guys aren’t ready for Iowa! This isn’t like playing the Buckeyes!”

To which I responded, very politely, “Sir, I think you and I both know what’s about to happen.”

I wasn’t about to argue football with an octogenarian in a furniture store. I can only imagine his immense disappointment that weekend once my prophecy came true.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

He just needed someone to talk to jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I know you're not supposed to overreact to Spring Games, but Ohio State's OLine is looking very hazard-like.