Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Do... do people not use "one" anymore? It still works if you want to do generalized singular, "they" would be awkward in that context.

I’m pretty sure they/their is the academic standard now but I’ve been out of that world for a long time (and was only ever in it as a student anyway)

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yes, the D&D 3rd edition Players Handbook solution

Now I'm imagining someone trying to pronounce other written conventions like s/he

'Will suh-slash-he be there to pick me up at the airport'

I tried to find a media clip or two of someone saying it but I just got inundated with articles about people for/against it. But it was just Latin-X every time, like a ninja turtles mutagen that turns you into a centurion

I remember seeing some people saying it should be latinks for some unholy reason but I’ve never actually heard that pronounced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

How many liberals have been in a position of power over the last 5 decades? How many leftists have been in power in that time?

And one last question, what is the current state of abortion rights?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nothus posted:

What starts as academic make-work eventually filters out into greater professional-class society as students graduate and move on.

I would say the opposite, since you would expect academics to understand the difference between thought and speech, limits of conceptualization versus linguistic rules, gender in language and human sex, social gender etc.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Staged opposition? In the US? It's more likely than you might think

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bedpan posted:

well this is what he needs to do to win. will it be enough?

Narrator: It wasn't.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nUzhp1urg

Taibbi is right.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bedpan posted:

someone remind me, who was elected president in 2020 and who is president right now?

Donald Trump

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

She's been good on Palestine lately, but they always reveal themselves and swing right as the election gets closer

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I mean, it's basically their only shot at not losing in November, so good luck.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

No loving way lmao

sinverguenza!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump must win and win big.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Officer Sandvich posted:

How many Palestinians remain in the West Bank and Gaza - about 5 million or so?

After a Trump "presidency" takes China-level control of the internet and TV networks, all five million of those people will be exterminated, imprisoned or expelled, and we may not even know about it.

The Democrats will be violently purged and filled with Manchin/Sinema sycophants to play the role of opposition in a staged democracy.

Millions of Americans will be rounded up and put into camps. Tens of thousands will be killed in the process. After a few years of extracting slave labour from them, executions will start in earnest.

All of the remaining democracies around the world will fall in a similar way. That was the dream of the Third Reich and the coming Triaxis will make it theirs as well.

syq

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

If you had an undergraduate who confidently wrote that Achilles had no notion of being embodied because only his limbs and soma, corpse, could be described, you would assume they had been kicked by a mule.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If you had an undergraduate who assumed Achilles had no notion of being embodied because only his limbs and soma, corpse, could be described, you would assume they had been kicked by a mule.

Bro you really sound like you stepped out of a time machine or came from another planet or something

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Casey Finnigan posted:

Bro you really sound like you stepped out of a time machine or came from another planet or something

Because I can conceptualize of ideas beyond their most literal interpretation, and assume other people can too?

Sarx and sôma are not deep cuts.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I would say the opposite, since you would expect academics to understand the difference between thought and speech, limits of conceptualization versus linguistic rules, gender in language and human sex, social gender etc.

Have you seen Discendo Vox's posts, though?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mags posted:

iirc one of the biggest issues with latinx is that the -x suffix in spanish doesnt make sense

It works fine in writing when 'x' can be a wildcard or placeholder for 'o' or 'a' not a letter to be pronounced. Latino/a or s/her are also unpronounceable. So is Latin?[a,o] but computer coders can use expressions like that without a problem because they write code and don't generally speak it. Not surprising that Latinx came out of academia which primarily works through written communication.

It's just that, if you want to solve the issue in speech, you need to come up with something that people can, you know, actually pronounce

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Discemdo Vox is a dumb guys conceptualization of what a smart academic sounds like

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Sarx and sôma are not deep cuts.

marveling at this

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Learning soma predates Brave New World shouldn't surprise, but it does because I'm dumb.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

this isn't the purpose of academia nor does it reflect the reality of the transformation that happens to those who spend time within its institutions and rise through its levels

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

latin$

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bedpan posted:

this isn't the purpose of academia nor does it reflect the reality of the transformation that happens to those who spend time within its institutions and rise through its levels

You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research grants are expensive. You must justify your existence by providing not only knowledge but concrete and profitable applications as well.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Probably Magic posted:

Learning soma predates Brave New World shouldn't surprise, but it does because I'm dumb.

I THOGUHT IT WAS FROM TEH STROKES oops all caps sry

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

World War Mammories posted:

marveling at this

It wasn’t a pun on Neal’s book on non-fatal wounds in the Iliad, if that’s what you mean. I wasn’t alluding to the actual deep lacerations and cuts in the text.

I only caught that after reading your post. Saying there’s no deep cuts in a text filled with deep cuts.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

luv2shit posted:

░S░U░C░C░I░N░B░I░O░

Thread title

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

sullat posted:

You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research grants are expensive. You must justify your existence by providing not only knowledge but concrete and profitable applications as well.

Some civilian workers got in among the research patients today and became so hysterical I felt compelled to have them nerve stapled. The consequence, of course, will be another public relations nightmare, but I was severely shaken by the extent of their revulsion towards a project so vital to our survival.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

Discendo Voe

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

I hate Discendo Vox Nihili

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Officer Sandvich posted:

The Democrats will be filled with Manchin/Sinema sycophants to play the role of opposition in a staged democracy.

:thunk:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bedpan posted:

I hate Discendo Vox Nihili

Joke would be funnier if they weren’t in fact the same person

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

There used to be that meme about how Republicans was the cop that kneeled on George Floyd, and Democrats was the cop that watched while it happened

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Excelzior posted:

Discendo Voe

Discendis Voces, and it's the new name for D&D.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Joke would be funnier if they weren’t in fact the same person

I hate stancil31b

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bruh you could do it right now. you could do something. you dont have to wait till november

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Since we are having a big language derail, am I the only one annoyed by all the zoomers that think ‘whilst’ is a just a fancy way to say ‘while’ and use it constantly?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

I hate stancil31b

Hey I don’t make the rules. Similar user names? Same person. That’s just the way it is. Ask the hoots

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It wasn’t a pun on Neal’s book on non-fatal wounds in the Iliad, if that’s what you mean. I wasn’t alluding to the actual deep lacerations and cuts in the text.

I only caught that after reading your post. Saying there’s no deep cuts in a text filled with deep cuts.

that's not what I'm marveling at and you seem to think that [I am/the average person is] way smarter than [I am/they are]